New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Anteheroes: Rogue Agent

Commodore Heap nods. "Mr. Tecker is correct. There are ten concurrent task forces on this... issue, in addition to the two primary field teams from Olympus and Valhalla."

"Now, as for the image, this was an ensign's photo on the way here from a family visit. He had it posted up on the door to his quarters, and one of our officers recognized Aeolus in the shot. It was taken at a rest stop in Northern Virginia in Stafford County, and heading south. That section of Interstate 95 happens to be a major avenue to the rest of the state, so we still can't be sure where he's heading. We only know enough to recall our West Virginia team and relocate them. Was there anything else?"

The commodore clears her throat. "The reason Accomac has been selected, sir." She blinks and squeezes the bridge of her nose, trying to concentrate through a headache. "To be honest, I don't know myself." There's a tone of resentment in her voice - but it's covered up inside a lot of self-discipline.

The Rear Admiral frowns momentarily, then relaxes and regains a distant smile, examining a small manila folder. "Well... I only have the faintest inklings myself. Your board of directors has never been cooperative. A private communications satellite shifted location and fired a lot of burst signals to that area for a few hours before and after the break-out. My men say they weren't able to intercept enough of the transmissions to have a reliable basis for breaking the encryption." He closes his eyes and puts down the folder. "I'll be frank with you; Agent Nemean1 and I both think..."

He laughs nervously. "Tell me, you boys like huntin'? Gettin' your shotguns and duck blinds out?"

1 The head field agent of Project Olympus; the woman who told you to not spend frivolously.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Nope, not the hunting type. Do you know anything about the local fae population in Accomac? I figure if something odd is going on, at least one of them is likely to know. Of course, getting them to actually share the information is far more difficult..."
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-10 at 06:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    "Nope, not the hunting type. Do you know anything about the local fae population in Accomac? I figure if something odd is going on, at least one of them is likely to know. Of course, getting them to actually share the information is far more difficult."
    "Well, too bad... you're certified and licensed geese hunters now." He sighs. "I know that part of the Delmarva peninsula has one of the wilder courts, though I am not one of you spirit people.

"I believe the court is led by Teague, a male horse spirit that claims tradition as its domain. They're a bit more scattered, but I wouldn't call them wild as much as decentralized; the notes on the database call them 'genteel' and 'colorful'."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark looks thoughtful for a moment "Interesting, I'll just have to see what I can find once we actually get there."

Clark pauses a moment before continuing "Sorry for interrupting, what is this business about hunting? Was our cover story changed? Can't say I'd be too adverse to that, not much of this team really looks the part."

5. - Top - End - #35

"Sorry for interrupting, what is this business about hunting? Was our cover story changed? Can't say I'd be too adverse to that, not much of this team really looks the part."
    The rear admiral coughs. "It was a joke. Never you mind much."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Ah, I thought it might be, but my hope that we wouldn't have to work on disguises won out." Clark sighs "Is there any other information you think may prove useful?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Selim stood slightly apart, taking in the two's words. So, he could be anywhere. It was even more important then to find the trail, and swiftly. Selim waited will ill concealed impatience for the meeting to end.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean frowns subtly. Something about the Corporal's and Admiral's way of skirting the question bother him.

Are you trying to say this is a wild goose chase, Admiral? It may very well be. But in the end, sir, I need to fulfill my client's wishes. So all we know of the town is that it was the target of satellite communications shortly after the event occurred? Who owns the satellite? How long has it been there? Also, may I ask as to the contents of that folder?

Sean looks at the commodore.

You seem out of sorts. Are you all right?

<Hey, Professor. I'm not so sure our friends are being totally open with us, please ask to see if they'd be willing to join our little mind-network here. We might pry a bit of information from their surface thoughts.>

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

To Sean (emotion: resigned) <That seems a bit far fetched, and an invasion of privacy. But you're probably going to keep bugging me if I don't.>

"By the way, while we do have phones and such, those are not always the safest and certainly not the fastest way to transfer urgent information should we uncover any. I would like to request to form a mental link with one of you, through which I can contact you later should it be required. It is best to be prepared."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Noticing Selim's agitation, Daren sidles over to him:

Hey, don't worry. I know the trail's gone cold but it's bound to happen anyways. Right now it seems best to gather intel over at Accomac than to head after Aeolus. I mean, he went south down the I95, and that goes all the way to Florida. Not like we can just drive down the road shouting 'Here Aeolus Aeolus Aeolus, come here boy!'

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

"That is true," Selim replied, "but still, it bothers me that the wolf is left to run free. He could do great harm in the time it takes to find him."

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    Are you trying to say this is a wild goose chase, Admiral? It may very well be. But in the end, sir, I need to fulfill my client's wishes. So all we know of the town is that it was the target of satellite communications shortly after the event occurred? Who owns the satellite? How long has it been there? Also, may I ask as to the contents of that folder?
    "The satellite is owned by a South Korean corporation, which is about all that I know on the matter, and part of the reason it was suspicious. We're doing some work on our end to eliminate suspects, since your bosses aren't being forthcoming about any of this information. This folder is classified information."

"I am fine, thank you. It's been... a long night and morning."

"By the way, while we do have phones and such, those are not always the safest and certainly not the fastest way to transfer urgent information should we uncover any. I would like to request to form a mental link with one of you, through which I can contact you later should it be required. It is best to be prepared."
    Admiral Harrison stares at you incredulously, the smile fading from his face. "Son, do you know how much incredibly sensitive, classified, for-my-eyes-only information passes through my head daily? Sorry, but request refused, that would be an incredible breach of national security."
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-10-11 at 10:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Ah, I often forget that not everyone has trained to filter their surface thoughts. It becomes so natural you just end up assuming everyone can do it."

To Sean: (emotion: neutral) <Well, there you have it. If you want me to directly invasively go mind-diving, you realize how much trouble that would get us in if it was noticed or at any point discovered, right?>

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean looks at the commodore for another short moment, then addresses the Read Admiral.

"I see. Again on the subject of the town. Do you have any local agents in the area we could contact as we begin our operation? We have almost zero intel here, and it's really hurting. Any assistance in gathering intelligence would be most appreciated. Also, our planned cover story is...weak. Would naval intelligence be able to help us in any with this issue and any other matters? I know it's not really your...jurisdiction may not be the right word, but what we have is clearly insufficient. Furthermore, Project Olympus has stated they don't know much about a supposed "Project Joshua". I know the intelligence community can be rather reticent to share data, so if you have any additional leads, they would be great helps.."

Sean Glances at Clark before sending:

To Clark:
    (emotion: nonplussed)<I said I was rude, not stupid. Of course I know, and I agree it's not worth the risk. Anyways, I think we've gotten most of what he'll tell us. Unless you have any other questions, of course.
    Last edited by Khane; 2008-10-11 at 06:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Selim wanted to step forward and break this conversation off. If they had any more information, they were either already acting upon it or it was too "classified" to reveal. Instead, he held his sharp tongue. Allah, give me strength.
    Last edited by Neon Knight; 2008-10-11 at 07:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Harley shakes his head slightly. "So all we got is that some guy sent a bunch of messages to Accomac at about the right time? Great. I guess we'd better go get our hands dirty, then. Thanks, Admiral. It's not your fault you don't know anything useful."
    Just the seed of an idea.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Wild Goose Chases. Excellent." Shelley nudges Sean in the side again. "We've had to deal with colder trails before, Tecker. Remember that time with the ghouls?"

"My apologies, Admiral. Mr. Tecker's a bit fussy. Likes to complain, you know the type? What little you've had for us about the local Gentry is better than nothing--with The Professor on our side, mebbe we can learn something. This smells like a mortal conspiracy to me, so asking around the Court might not raise as my alarm bells at first..."

"Really, I don't know what the lot of you are stalling about...they told us back in the Big White Room just how little anyone has to work with. I'm starting to agree with Mr. Grumpy And Turkish--we're not going to learn anything new or useful gadding about here, better to hop in the rustbucket and go, eh?"

(Bah, I'm not happy with this post and I'd rather have worked in some descriptions and poses. But Khane's been unsubtly hounding me to post, and I'm holding the rest of you back. Mentally work these bits of dialogue into the conversations as appropriate. Might edit later, but here's the gist of what Shelley has to say and think. Let's get this show on the road and get into some trouble!)

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Khane View Post
    "I see. Again on the subject of the town. Do you have any local agents in the area we could contact as we begin our operation? We have almost zero intel here, and it's really hurting. Any assistance in gathering intelligence would be most appreciated. Also, our planned cover story is...weak. Would naval intelligence be able to help us in any with this issue and any other matters? I know it's not really your...jurisdiction may not be the right word, but what we have is clearly insufficient. Furthermore, Project Olympus has stated they don't know much about a supposed "Project Joshua". I know the intelligence community can be rather reticent to share data, so if you have any additional leads, they would be great helps.."
    He sighs and rubs one temple. "I'm afraid not, son. You are going to be our first contacts in the region. As for your cover, yes, we can help with that. Heap?"

She nods, shaking off her headache. "We've pulled together some old survey and photographic equipment and placed it in your van; if you wish, we may have an actual member of a Smithsonian research team who we can tap to meet you there, as well, though he will not have been fully cleared for this mission... Understand, this is under the table, and if he finds out more than he's supposed to, we had nothing to do with it..."

"You have someone in mind, Commodore?" Zebediah seems surprised.

She nods. "Yes, a Kent Owens; I've personally worked with Owens before, enough to know that he means well and can keep his mouth shut, but he's also the inquisitive sort. He has the ability to see fey, so he'll know it has something to do with the supernatural, but you'll have to keep him in the dark about the specific nature of the emergency. As to Project Joshua..."

"We have told you everything we know, which isn't very much in this case. You'll be off, then." The Admiral straightens up and offers his hand. "God and Luck with you."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Noticing the clear dismissal, Daren starts heading for the door, and to the Exchange.

I'm going to need some food before I go he says, more to himself than anyone else.

A few minutes later he's walking out of the Exchange with a whole box of Trails Best beef sticks and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew. He's munching on the beef sticks two at a time, looking extremely satisfied with his current activity. While doing so he meanders his way to the van, ready to get going.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Clark smiles and shakes the Admiral's hand before heading out.

"I suppose I ought grab lunch too, who knows when I'll have a convenient chance again." Likewise, Clark goes to the Exchange and exits with a modest sandwich and bottle of water.

Clark talks as everyone walks to the van "Hmm, another fey-sighted? And we have to keep him in the dark? Well, this ought to be interesting."
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-13 at 01:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Clark smiles and shakes the Admiral's hand before heading out.

"I suppose I ought grab lunch too, who knows when I'll have a convenient chance again." Likewise, Clark goes to the Exchange and exits with a modest sandwich and bottle of water.

Clark talks as everyone walks to the van "Hmm, another fey-sighted? And we have to keep him in the dark? Well, this ought to be interesting."
    "Food sounds good." Harley emerges from the Exchange with a hamburger in hand. "I guess I just play dumb. Not like I'm not used to it. This guy'll know something's up. We just need to stop him finding out what."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Selim got nothing from the Exchange; he was troubled. "I do not like this. We are to lead this man blindfolded into a nest of serpents, and the admiral's warning..." Selim shook his head. "Ominous. I fear for that man if he learns too much. My conscience is ill at ease."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Sean glances at Shelley as if to say "I thought we weren't going to mention that anymore., before taking the Admiral's hand and saying:

Thank you for your assistance, Admiral, I look forward to working with you. And Commodore? Thank you for providing a contact for us to work with, it will be a great help.

Sean then exits the room and heads down to the van, gets out his rifle, and begins to clean it while he waits for everyone to meet up.

24. - Top - End - #54

{{Is there more you guys would like to cover at the Exchange, or shall I press Fast-Forward?}}

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

{{I can't think of anything super-important that Shelley wouldn't have already brought with her, and this isn't a dungeon delve where it makes that much difference if you've got 50 feet or only 45 of rope. Let's fast forward and get onto Awkward Interactions With NPCs! (For the love of god, let's not blow our cover so quickly like we did with the Eberron campaign.)}}

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

{{Fast-forward, but I'd like to change Harley's arsenal before we get into a combat situation. Just swap Energy Wave for Energy Flash. Note: with shadow, it's not so much a flash, as a cover-their-eyes-in-darkness type thing.}}

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

{{Fast forward, unless there are people at the exchange we could benefit from meeting.}}

28. - Top - End - #58

It's a mostly uneventful trip for the next hour and a half, even if a pretty one. The green sea roiling beneath you as you cross the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge and Tunnel, leafbare trees that look like wooden lightning bolts froze in the ground. Strong, bright sun, and the minivan isn't nearly as uncomfortable as it is ugly.

Every so often, you pass one of those little yellow firework stands and trailers, some metal, some wood. The observant among you might notice that they each come with pork. One stand sells "Fireworks and Bacon", another "Fireworks and Pork Rinds", and a third "Fireworks and Smoked Ham." One particularly industrious yellow gas station had an extremely busy sign, including for sale "Fireworks, Cured Ham, Cigarettes, Gasoline, Bacon, Tobacco."

Churches of many styles pass by as well. Churches and small libraries and well-worn homes that have been loved but lived in a little too long.

Sean's PDA vibes once as you go. Email from [email protected] - Owens will be meeting you by nightfall at the library. It's an ideal place to hold a meeting when you're pretending to be scholars.

The LED clock reads 1:04 when you pull into what passes for 'downtown' at Accomac - the square mile holding the library, some restaurants, and a general goods store. None of it with a single franchise brand or logo, though the library has the clean look of freshly hewn stone and new glass. Only a sparse few cars pass through, and they're not greatly troubled by you idling at the stop sign as you think.

The suspicious satellite receiver in question is another mile and a half due north of here, off-roads it looks like.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Edit:Never mind, just realized we hadn't parked. I've got nothing to say.
    Last edited by Username; 2008-10-15 at 05:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Selim leaned forward from the backseat. "We have much time before the sun sets. We should decide how to spend the remaining daylight." Selim himself had few suggestions in that regard.