New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [3.5] Some New Obyriths...

I'm working on a campaign that's set in the Abyss during the Age Before Ages. Part of this process involves cranking out a few new obyriths. I figured I'd put them on this thread and see if I can get some advice. Spoilered for length.

Writhla
    Spoiler
    Show
    Writhla
    Medium Outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, obyrith)
    Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hit points)
    Init: +1
    Speed: 20 ft.; climb 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), flat-footed 14, touch 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
    Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Form of Madness
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Damage Reduction 5/cold iron or lawful, fast healing 1, obyrith traits, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing, worms
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Skills: Climb +10, Hide +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5, Swim +7
    Feats: Ability Focus (form of madness)
    Environment: Infinite Layers of the Abyss
    Organization: Solitary or hive (2d6 writhlae plus an advanced 5 HD writhla)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: 3-5 HD (Medium), 5-10 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: --

A typical writhla is five feet long and weighs 120 pounds. It resembles a bloated, decaying worm with four gelatinous red eyes and over a dozen tails, the sores and tears in its flesh wriggling with thousands of worms and slugs. It creates a disgusting trail of such vermin everywhere it goes. Its mouth is packed with three rows of razor-sharp teeth made of iron. Writhla do not speak, but they understand Abyssal, and can communicate telepathically.

Combat
    Writhlae resort to fairly simple tactics in combat, preferring to sneak up on prey and attempt to crush it into submission.

Form of Madness (Su): The form of a writhla is so jarring that those within 60 feet of a writhla who observe it must make a DC 11 Will save or be permanently haunted with visions of slime-riddled worms oozing from the flesh of those they interact with, imposing a -4 penalty on all social-based skill checks, distracted by the horrific hallucinations. A creature that makes its saving throw against this writhla's form of madness is immune to it for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to a writhla's form of madness. The insanity caused by a writhla's form of madness can only be removed by a greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

Obyrith Traits (Ex): Immunity to poison and mind-affecting effects, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.

Skills: A writhla receives a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10, even when threatened.

True Seeing (Su): A writhla is under the constant effect of true seeing, as the spell. This effect cannot be dispelled.

Worms (Su): A writhla is constantly producing worms from its disgusting flesh. Once every ten rounds, a swarm of worms appears in the same square as the writhla. (Use a swarm of centipedes without the poison ability.) The writhla cannot control the swarm, but also does not take damage from the swarm. The swarm of worms lasts for 4d4 rounds before dissolving into slime.

Xelrah
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xelrah
    Large Outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, obyrith)
    HD: 5d8+20 (42 hit points)
    Init: +3
    Speed: 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size), flat-footed 14, touch 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+13
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+4 plus poison); or claw +8 melee (1d6+4); or tail +8 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+4) and 2 claws +6 melee (1d6+2) and tail +6 melee (1d8+2 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with tail)
    Special Attacks: Form of Madness, Poison, Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Damage Reduction 5/cold iron, fast healing 3, obyrith traits, telepathy 100 ft., true seeing
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Skills: Balance +11, Bluff +10, Concentration +12, Jump +12, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Hide +11, Listen +17, Move Silently +11, Spot +9, Survival +9
    Feats: Ability Focus (Form of Madness), Multiattack
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: Standard
    Advancement: 6-8 HD (Large), 9-12 HD (Huge)

The Xelrah is a cunning predator of the Abyss. Its lithe, cat-like body is covered in a revolting mixture of black scales and thick fur. The large quadruped tears ferociously into its prey, using claws and teeth and tail to strike it down. Xelrah are usually solitary, but can occasionally be found in the company of a more powerful obyrith.

Combat

The Xelrah prefers to sneak up on a foe in combat. It buffs itself beforehand with cat's grace and magic fang before it attacks.

Form of Madness (Su): The appearance of a Xelrah is so haunting that those within 60 feet of a (name) who observe it must make a DC 16 Will save or be permanently be afflicted by hallucinations, seeing the Xelrah everywhere, causing a -4 penalty on Initiative checks. A creature that makes its saving throw against this Xelrah's form of madness is immune to it for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to a Xelrah's form of madness. The insanity caused by a Xelrah's form of madness can only be removed by a greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

Poison (Ex): A Xelrah's tail blade is slick with venom. Fort. save DC 18, 1d6 Str/1d6 Str

Obyrith Traits (Ex): Immunity to poison and mind-affecting effects, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: cat's grace, magic fang. Caster level 5th.

Skills: The Xelrah's sensitive ears give it a +8 racial bonus on Listen checks.

True Seeing (Su): A Xelrah is constantly under the effect of true seeing, as the spell. This effect cannot be dispelled.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-10-12 at 12:05 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Some New Obyriths...

For the (name), I suggest Xelrtha. Why? It sounds good to me. *shrug*

On the CR point, I think that (name) is probably a CR 5 or 6. The Fast Healing is a bit too high, IMO. Drop it to 2-3 and it's a CR 5-6 for sure.

The CR on the Writhla is probably 2-3.

Also, I love obryriths! Can't wait for a few more.

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Outer planar archetype project? I am summoned!

For the writhla, I would reccommend using Vorpal Tribble's CR gauge to determine an appropriate target CR. It won't be too high, since its HP are paltry enough that a magic missile will take it down.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    For the (name), I suggest Xelrtha. Why? It sounds good to me. *shrug*

On the CR point, I think that (name) is probably a CR 5 or 6. The Fast Healing is a bit too high, IMO. Drop it to 2-3 and it's a CR 5-6 for sure.

The CR on the Writhla is probably 2-3.

Also, I love obryriths! Can't wait for a few more.
    Thanks for the advice! I dropped its fast healing, and I decided to name it "Xelrah." Somewhat close to the name you provided...

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Outer planar archetype project? I am summoned!

For the writhla, I would reccommend using Vorpal Tribble's CR gauge to determine an appropriate target CR. It won't be too high, since its HP are paltry enough that a magic missile will take it down.
    Can you possibly link me?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-10-09 at 05:46 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's in the Guide to Homebrewing sticky, just above the template for monsters.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #6

It's in the Guide to Homebrewing sticky, just above the template for monsters.
    Thanks! So, what do you guys think?

I hope to have a dozen different obyrith varieties before the campaign begins.

EDIT: Gave the Xelrah a bit more description, and added a new ability to the Writhla.

EDIT to the EDIT: I did some drawings of the Xelrah and the Writhla, as well as a third obyrith. I plan on scanning them sometime tomorrow...
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-10-10 at 12:22 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I Like them.

Anything specifically Obyrith about them? Could I move them onto a demi plane as baddies?

Sigurd
    Logo by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
    I Like them.
    Thanks!

Anything specifically Obyrith about them?
    Just what do you mean by that?

Could I move them onto a demi plane as baddies?
    Feel free to use them as you wish.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, glad you dig the name! *gets warm fuzzy feeling*

Now, we need the pics and the third Obyrith (anyone else have issues spelling obyrith?).

Also, didn't say this earlier, but these are good stuff.

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Now, we need the pics and the third Obyrith (anyone else have issues spelling obyrith?).
    'Fraid I won't be able to put the pics on until Monday... -_-

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

That is eerie, I was going to make some obyriths not too long ago, and I had plans to make one that has a form of madness that forces people to think worms are burrowing out from their skin.

Get out of my head.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Get out of my head.
    I refuse!

13. - Top - End - #13

All right, here's the third obyrith.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grath
    Huge Outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, obyrith)
    Hit Dice: 6d8+42 (69 hp)
    Init: +6
    Speed: 60 ft.; burrow 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +8 natural, -2 size),
    Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+21
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (3d6+10)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (3d6+10)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Form of Madness, Spell-like Abilities, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Damage Reduction 5/lawful, fast healing 5, obyrith traits, telepathy 100 ft., tremorsense 30 ft., true seeing
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 24, Dex 14, Con 25, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Skills: (need to do skills)
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Snatch
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: (need Challenge Rating)
    Treasure: Standard or Gang (1d4+2)
    Advancement: 7-10 HD (Huge), 11-13 HD (Gargantuan)

A typical Grath is around 25 feet long and weighs 5,000 pounds. It has a fleshy, worm-like body, with a toothy reptilian head. Dozens of short, two-fingered claws support the massive beast. It also has two long antennae just before its bright purple eyes.

Combat

Graths are sadistic and enjoy the sensation of digesting its prey alive. Before combat, it will buff itself with bull's strength and bear's endurance.

Improved Grab: To use this ability, a grath must hit a creature at least one size smaller than itself with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the opponent in the following round.

Form of Madness (Su): The grath's senseless gorging can incite madness. Those within 60 feet of the grath who observe it must succeed on a DC 16 Will save. Those who fail and are subject to the grath's Improved Grab ability automatically fail their grapple check to avoid being swallowed. A creature that makes its saving throw against this graht's form of madness is immune to it for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to a grath's form of madness. The insanity caused by a grath's form of madness can only be removed by a greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.

Spell-like Abilties: 3/day: bull's strength, bear's endurance, expeditious retreat, protection from law; 1/day: true strike

Swallow Whole (Ex): A grath can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes x points of bludgeoning damage and x points of acid damage per round from the grath's stomach. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal x points of damage to the stomach (AC 14). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Huge grath's stomach can hold 4 Medium, 16 Small, 64 Tiny, or 256 Diminuitive or smaller opponents.

True Seeing (Su): A grath is under the constant effect of true seeing, as the spell. This effect cannot be dispelled.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-10-12 at 12:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yarr... that be missin' some spell-like abilities

15. - Top - End - #15

Yarr... that be missin' some spell-like abilities
    And skills... and a Challenge Rating. Haven't finished it yet.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-10-11 at 11:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Problem is, without those it's a wee bit flavorless.

That said, I recognize time-crunch all too well. I'll flick back later and review again.

17. - Top - End - #17

Problem is, without those it's a wee bit flavorless.

That said, I recognize time-crunch all too well. I'll flick back later and review again.
    Well, I'm open to criticism and suggestion... if I wasn't, I wouldn't be posting them here...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the only thing I could say about it now is that it's basically another swallower, only with an imporved ability to get victims into its mouth. That's fine; it certainly fills a niche. It's just that there's nothing really unique there.

But again, it does fit a useful niche. There is nothing wrong with that. The tremorsense also grants it special uses that most other demons wouldn't have.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yep. Hopefully I can get my drawings scanned tomorrow. I mean, I know they're not crazy-awesome horrifying, but it's still nice to have a visual aid, right?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    That is eerie, I was going to make some obyriths not too long ago, and I had plans to make one that has a form of madness that forces people to think worms are burrowing out from their skin.

Get out of my head.
    Isn't that what the ekolid from FC1 does? The writhla is at least different in that it makes you see maggots in other people.

21. - Top - End - #21

Dang, still haven't been able to scan my drawings. Oh, well...