Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    I thought it'd be neat if this site had a favicon.ico file. I know a few browsers support them for the address bar and for the bookmark list (namely IE and Mozilla). The Giant's artwork would probably make good icons too.

    In order to make one all you have to do is place the favicon.ico file in the site's root directory. The size has to be 16X16 and the colours can be up to 256 but it's recomended that you just use 16 (which shouldn't be a problem). Btw, the icon files do support transparency (though it's only 1-bit alpha like GIFs).

    You can use this freeware program (available for all versions of windows and no spyware or other nasty stuff) http://www.irfanview.com/ to convert just about any image to an ico file.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
     
    Bogotter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    So what exactly does a favicon do?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York City

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    I've mentioned this to Rich in passing. He thought it was a good idea. Our conversation ended there.

    The icon he's talking about is one that some browsers will display in place of their normal "web page" icon (for IE, the piece of paper with the blue "e" on it). Most of the big web sites have them, Google, Yahoo, etc.

    Not all browsers do this, so some of you really won't care. I use an IE wrapparound browser called Avant Browser. It has tabs fro different open pages, which I like, and it uses the icons on the different tabs.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    I think I forgot this because as a Mac user, I am stuck with an older version of IE that doesn't support this. Thus, it's tough to remember that it exists.
    Rich Burlew


    Hey look! Licensed Order of the Stick gaming minis from Morland Miniatures

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York City

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I forgot this because as a Mac user, I am stuck with an older version of IE that doesn't support this. Thus, it's tough to remember that it exists.
    heh, then what's my excuse?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
     
    Bogotter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    I've mentioned this to Rich in passing. *He thought it was a good idea. *Our conversation ended there.

    The icon he's talking about is one that some browsers will display in place of their normal "web page" icon (for IE, the piece of paper with the blue "e" on it). *Most of the big web sites have them, Google, Yahoo, etc.

    Not all browsers do this, so some of you really won't care. *I use an IE wrapparound browser called Avant Browser. *It has tabs fro different open pages, which I like, and it uses the icons on the different tabs.
    Gotcha....I know what you're talking about now. Seems like a neat little extra thing but ultimately not all that important.



  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zherog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bensalem, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    heh, then what's my excuse?

    Lazy? :P
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

    Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York City

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by Zherog
    Lazy? * :P
    Hush, you, we'll have none of your particularily accurate intuitiveness here.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY

    Default wherefore art thou favicon?

    Bogotter is right- it a neat little extra. Not critical, but if it can be done and doesn't take too long, why not? Favicons help build a brand.

    The real question is, what would it be?
    Stop jerks like Xykon in the REAL world: &&http://www.ecologyfund.com

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rhuna_Coppermane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Sounds neat to me. I'm a mac user as well, but I'm using Safari.

    I think the beholder icon would be great. It's compact enough that it wouldn't lose comprehensibility when shrunk down that small, and it's really cool looking.
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes
    Avatar by Magioth

    Member, Redcloak Fanclub

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NJ

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhuna_Coppermane
    Sounds neat to me. *I'm a mac user as well, but I'm using Safari.

    I think the beholder icon would be great. *It's compact enough that it wouldn't lose comprehensibility when shrunk down that small, and it's really cool looking.
    Not sure on the beholder thing. But I use Safari too and love it! The only problem is when you hit pages that Safari can't run because they were designed for pc and such.
    Ramblers anonymous.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Suggestion - Address Bar Icon

    I think the best favicon would be Haley's head. For some reason, when I think of a favicon for OotS, I would think Haley. If OotS had a mascot, then the favicon could be him/her.

    Waaaait a secnond(The N is intentional, yoz!)! We can use Elan! That'd be so cool!
    Avatars that I have made. Will take requests with low chance of actually completing it. Instead I recommend this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •