New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Pokethulhu - Someone's Chewing on My Parents

West

West keeps his silence during his investigation of the bodies, though he does nearly throw up when he realizes that whoever had their leg gnawed on was probably alive for it. Standing there, he ponders what sort of thulhu might have done this sort of thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Pokethulhu Lore check, please; I believe my score is 8
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can't place the thulhu solely from the evidence here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very Tricky roll of 11 doesn't make it. A subsequent check (aka your second roll of 8) reveals the attack that caused this as sticky. Further investigation might give more clues, or perhaps the other type it uses.
    Taking Over The World, One Tangent At A Time

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ted takes one look at the gruesom mess, shudders, and turns away, not hiding his disgust and fear.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hey, guys, I found a door" whispered Steve, "It looks really ominous. I bet there's something really evil behind it." Steve peeks through the door to see if there's anything inside.

Silver Contributor To The Avatar d20 Project

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is in fact something inside. The room is smallish, and the walls are rough. There are no corners or edges to speak of, instead forming sort of a rounded off square. The stonework is ancient though, so it is unrelated to the shoddy construction of the door. Perhaps it was a pantry or storage room in whatever the original construction was. More recently, however, it's been repurposed to another end. There are some blankets in one corner on top of what looks like a gym mat. In another corner, there is a school desk. In fact, the desk is of the exact style of the east wing philosophy class. You even venture so far as to guess that this just might be why that class always has one row of desks shorter than the other rows. The desk is littered with wrappers, comic books, half-eaten food, and various novelty devices. Also in the room is a bank of 6 connected lockers, again exactly like upstairs. Around the floor is several outfits worth of dirty laundry, more wrappers, and comic books. What little adorns the walls are a few crude drawings of inconsequential subjects, and two band posters: The End Is Nigh, and the Shogganauts.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Guys. I found some kind of classroom." whispers Steve, "It looks like it's just a classroom for one, dang, this place is creeping me out." Steve then slips in the door to search through the room for signs of the attacker.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

On further inspection, you sense an age about this room. Not the ancient age you sense from the hewn stone, cut some eons ago, but just age. All of the items in the room are worn from use. The half-eaten food has either rotted away or dried to a husk. The clothing on the floor appears not only extremely worn in, but stretched as though worn for a long time by someone they were too small for. The comic books have rips and spill marks, and several pages have torn out, either to be loosely put back in place, or just strewn around. An inspection of the wrappers indicates dates from anywhere between a few months ago, and almost 20 years ago, but there is a rather high concentration of dates from about two months. Inspection of the walls and desk show various carvings. Some of the most worn ones look youthful, like the badly drawn dragon, a few swear words and childrens dirty lymrics. Other mid-age carvings detail various facts about the school, including class schedules and a detailed map of the school's floorplan, including air ducts. As the carvings become fresher they shift to what you might expect to find in a prison cell or nuthouse. Of the more coherent bits, it seems to speak of some "maddening horror of my youth", the tenent's need to hide out here, and his plot to escape. Lastly, you look in the lockers. There doesn't seem to be any organization to the bank of 6, it moreso appears that whatever one was least full got the next item. Most of them are crammed with wrappers, and a few more comic books and clothes. You find a couple dirty magazines of varying degrees. The older-dated magazines are merely lingerie catalogues, but some of the newer issues are more popular racy titles. You find fireworks and novelty items of all sorts including shocking gum packs and hand buzzers, whoopie cushions, fake plastic poo, stink bombs, poppers, a two-headed coin, a yo-yo, and a bobblehead figurine of Randy from Pokethulhu. There are a lot of tools as well, most of them look like they have to do with breaking into things, or otherwise just breaking things. In one locker, there is a skateboard, and on the top shelf of another you find ten dodecahedrons.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

West

Keeping his silence, the adolescent peers through the room with the others, keeping an especial eye out for the paranormal. When he stumbles over the racy magazine, he surreptitiously moves a few into his bag. When he finds the dodecahedra, he tries to determine if there's anything in them.

9. - Top - End - #69

Ted follows the others, not wanting to stay more than a few seconds longer with the pile of dead bodies. He, too. spots the dodecaherda and picks one up, inspecting it closely.
    As of 9/30/09

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

After looking through most of the room and seeing the strange and possibly illicit stuff in the room, Steve looks over and sees the others looking at the Dodecahedrons. He yells at them, "Be careful, I bet this is stuff that might have been confiscated from students, be careful with those, They might not be the most safe thulu." Steve drops his Dodecahedron onto the floor unleashing his Mobeot, just in case.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Inspecting the dodecahedrons (I believe that's the proper plural), you determine that of the ten, only two are binding a thulhu. The eldrich runes on the other eight lie dormant, simple carvings on stone. But just like the ones in your pocket, the runes on the other two glow with the faintest light, in that unplaceable colour you are all so familiar with. As for what they bind, you all know there's only one way to find out.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

West

With a faint smile, West draws one of his own cthulhu. He begins chanting in a low voice which slowly elevates, ending with him practically shouting, "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Dzyant wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

With Dzyant summoned against the possibility of hostility, West quickly uses a pencil to sketch out a pentagram on a piece of floor and then places one of the occupied dodecahedra (his superior knowledge of grammar reveals that both the archaic, Greco- form and the newer Anglo- form are acceptable, as per the all-knowing dictionary) in the center.

Standing back, and warning Dzyant to be ready, he chants again to summon forth the bound creature.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

The runes pulse, and the air in front of the dodecahedron is bent open, pulling forth a glowing figure. Most of the glow fades immediately, leaving a small thulhu that West and Ted recognize as an Ulthar. The Ulthar looks around excitedly for a moment, and then apparently not seeing what it was hoping to, disappointedly sits on the ground. It looks up to West confused.

Spoiler
    Show
    West, you also know these little guys are social creatures, and from the looks of it he's been alone for awhile.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

West

The normally emotionless West softens somewhat at the sight of the sad, lonely cthulhu. The opportunity to augment his thulhu supply may also have had a say in the matter. "Hello there," he says, "You seem to have been alone for a while...perhaps your cultist has disappeared? Here, let us see how you are." He steps to the edge of the pentagram, and, waving at Dzyant to stay alert, takes a step inside, holding his arm out to the little crime against physics.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, that was anti-climatic," says Steve, looking at the cuteish thulu. "I'll check the other dodecahedron while you play with that one." Steve grabs West's chalk and draws the pentagram, and setting the second dodecahedron inside, says "Open sesame.", then, his voice deepening, he mutters for a second under his breath some incantation.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ulthar looks nervous, but luckily as they're social creatures, it isn't too scared. It hesitantly walks over to West.

In the other circle, Steve finishes the incantation. Again, the runes glow, and another being tears through the fabric of space in front of the ball. A larger, headless body forms, and the light fades. You all recognize this thulhu as Y'gollywog, the mad thulhu only summoned by reading from the Revelations of Glaky the Wacky. It's suddenly quite crowded in the room, and the Y'gollywog looks quite a bit less pleased than the first one. From somewhere undefinable, due to it's lack of a head, you hear a deep hellish growl. It lifts one of it's hands, covered with teeth, and swings at Steve.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Isn't it bound into the circle unless I break it? If not, then use the following action.)

Steve yells, "Trap him Mobeot!"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: normally it would be, and thulhu are quite prone to swing and just run into the barrier in this case. However...)

The great thulhu swings at the barrier, and his toothed hand bounces off. With the strike however, the parts of the floor with chalk on them splinter ever so slightly. You then hear the headless terror start to chant.

Spoiler
    Show
    West, you recognize it as Glaky's Invocation, only backwards. He's still bound, but you get the impression that there's a distinct possiblity that he's strong enough to get out. I'll take Mobeot's bind before he does anything else if you still wanna enter the circle.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

West

Spoiler
    Show
    Why would I want to enter the circle with the Y'gollywog?

West's attention was quickly ripped from the Ulthar as he saw the great beast his "companion" had managed to unleash. He saw it test the circle, and then heard it begin to chant. That sounds familiar...almost like the Invocation of Glaky, but backwards... "Back away!" he shouts, "It's either trying to unsummon itself...or break the circle. I know not which. Dzyant, stand by to bind him!" While speaking, West continues to hold his arm out the Ulthar, and stays within that circle, counting on the extra layer of protection it might afford against the monstrosity.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Steve slowly backs away from the circle, motioning for his Mobeot to hang back.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was referring to his Mobeot entering the circle to bind him. Though I suppose technically he might be able to do it outside of the circle, due to how that particluar bind attack works. And I'll wait for input from the other two before I move ahead.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

(At this point I'm just waiting to see what the Ygolly'wog is doing.)

23. - Top - End - #83

Ted, who hadn't been paying attention at the time, jumps back in surprise when the thulu beats agains the shield.
    "Ah! Someone stop it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    For future reference, how to we catch thulu? Do we just chuck dodecahera at it when it's downed?
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You throw the dodecahedron, and make a check against your pokethulhu lore skill. If it's defeated, it's just a straight check. If it's still fighting, the check is modified by it's total remaining hp. This means that smaller thulhu might be able to be caught right away if you're a strong enough trainer.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So... maybe I won't wait for everybody...

The mad thulhu continues his chant, slowly rising in tempo. It shakes it's fists harder and harder to the beat. As it seems to reach a peak, he throws up his mawed fists to the air, and you hear a crack in the air.

"WOG!" he shouts, and swings his fist at the barrier. With another reverberating crack, the floor is completely shredded in the exact shape of the binding circle, and the barrier is shattered to pieces. "Y'golly..." it exclaims menacingly.

Without hesitation, Mobeot and Dyzant both make haste to bind the terrifying creature. Mobeot swirls around, and Dyzant emits a hum that shakes and splits the air around the Y'gollywog.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As it's weakness is non-elucidian, and both of your traps are that, you did pretty well. You both got 3.
    The Y'gollywog struggles against it's 4th-dimensional bindings, and fights to break the time loop, shaking it's nonexistant head to clear it's mind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll of 5 and 3 beats both traps
    And succeeds! It levels it's nonexistant stare at the Dyzant and prepares to swing!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You guys are up. I'm gonna work on getting ahold of our last player in the meanwhile...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

West

West watches as the Y'gollywog manages to clear the summoning circle and then the attempted traps both. When the headless monstrosity turns against Dzyant, he recommends that the recently-recovered thulhu, "Burrow through the Aether, Dzyant! Michelson and Morley did not know that of which they spoke!"

Spoiler
    Show

This game lives!

Dzyant Burrows Through Aether, Dodge 2 (Non-Euclidean)
    Last edited by Minchandre; 2008-11-24 at 02:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Mobeot, Keep trying! You can hold him!" yells Steve, hoping he's right...

Spoiler
    Show
    Glad to have this back, I missed this campaign.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Redoubling their efforts, the thulhu continue to put the squeeze on the headless horror.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each get a successful roll of 3
    Irritated, the mad thulhu again struggles against his bindings,
    Spoiler
    Show
    A 4 and a 5 against his speed of 9 beat each trap.
    and again bursts through. Meanwhile, the Ulthar cowers at the far end of it's circle, clearly not wanting to stick around for this battle. "Ul!" it squeaks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, sorry about that. I was hoping to get everyone on the same page, but we seem to have lost two players so far. I like this game too though.
    Last edited by Elrosth; 2008-11-25 at 01:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

West

Keeping one hand lightly on the frightened Ulthar West comforts the poor beast even as he directs Dzyant to battle. "Do not worry, small Ulthar. We will prevail. Besides, this circle is not simply a trap: it is also a shelter. While in here, we are doubly protected." He then changes the pitch of his voice, directing it at Dzyant, "Excellent, Dzyant! Bind him again!"

Spoiler
    Show

As before, 1 dice and Non-Euclidean

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I however am somewhat less protected! Mobeot, freeze him!" says Steve, backing away from the Y'gollywog

Spoiler
    Show
    Icy Winds, 1d12 Icy.
    Also, can we have two thulu out at a time?
    Last edited by Colt; 2008-11-26 at 09:15 PM.