1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Sinister Spire IC

Recently

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jaspero
    Quote Originally Posted by wxdruid
    Heggle and Regak head back to the Dripstone Inn. Es Sarch is exactly as they left him. He speaks in a raspy voice after Heggle hands him the bag, I see you have returned successfully from completing the task. Will you do the second? And gain the information that you seek?
    Heggle grunts and lights a cigar.

Before we talk about a second job, you'd best pay us for the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophistemon
    Regak, who is standing behind the gnome, nods his grizzled head in agreement.

"I'm thinking that he has a point, Sarch. A day's work for a day's pay, wouldn't you say?"
    Quote Originally Posted by wxdruid
    Rasphiak walks next to the wall around the spike at the center of the city.

The wide road is choked with carts, booths and tents, around which swarm sellers hawking their wares. Myriad items are available here, including riding lizards, sweetmeats, buoyant fossilized mushroom fibers, silver, pelts, crystals, vellum and pens, weaponry, and more. The assortment of buyers varies equally, and you see a few stooped giants, dozens of drow, duergar, grimlocks and even a few stranger creatures. Dancers, magicians, stalactite throwers, fire-eaters, puppeteer, and tattooists peddle their talents to any and all comers beneath the green light of hundreds of hanging lanterns. The hard eyes of armored bodyguards and mercenaries warn would-be robbers.

As Rasphiak walks in, he gets strange looks, but he is left alone to wander where he wants to.

----------

Es Sarch raises one emaciated hand, The payment I offered was information. Information will be supplied after finishing both tasks. Will you do the second task?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vael
    Rasphiak moves quietly and quickly among the different people in the bazaar, selling off all of the items he had collected that no one else had been interested in, getting a little bit of coin for the trouble he went through to haul it all back with him. Foolish humans always let things go to waste, but he- Rasphiak thinks as he hefts his now much heavier coin pouch- was more practical about such things. Hehehe.
    Smirking to himself, he lingers for a while, looking around for anything that might interest him, or perhaps an arcanist who might be able to identify that arrow and wand he has...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophistemon
    Regak raises a red bushy eyebrow at the snake-haired monstrosity before him, and holds his tongue. If he felt that he could reach over and throttle the beast without them being on the receiving end of a multitude of ill-happenings, he would have. Instantly.

"I've no aversion to doing labor for reward, Es Sarch. But I do not think that asking for a show of faith is unreasonable." He shrugs his powerful shoulders and looks towards Heggle. "We were nearly slain while attempting the first of your errands. In fact, one of our number floats dead in the harbor, a victim of this city's hospitality towards upworlders. I want something more concrete than your word that we will get what we want when this is all over and done with."

He nods, pleased with his words. The thought that he may have just offended a powerful broker of information in the epicenter of his power base does not occur to him until a moment later, but he is able to maintain a large degree of composure despite a feeling of unease.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jaspero
    Heggle considers Regak a moment, then gives his cigar a puff and nods. Throw us a bone, and we'll talk about the next piece.

After another disappointing day, Nephia (TonberryKing) enters the Dripstone Inn. She’s inured to the smells, the sounds and sits heavily at a table. At first she ignores the two talking to Es Sarch. After all, many come and talk to him. But, she notices a few obvious differences and one of them is a gnome. Gnomes are rarely seen in Pedestal. A waiter brings her, her usual drink and food and she hands over a few silver for it as she watches them.

Es Sarch chuckles dryly for a brief moment, I have yet to learn more, the mushrooms will aid me in learning the information you are looking for. I have been able to find out one thing. You will need to enter the Necromancer’s Spike.

Nephia's been in Pedestal long enough to know that no one enters the Spike and returns…

Es Sarch raises one dry hand, Now, will you do the second task. I have found someone to possibly aid you, if you accept. ((This will be Mika))

Mika (DarkLadyOfTheSith) is sitting in a corner quietly enjoying her own drink and watching the rest of the Inn. She's just returned from a recent job and is enjoying a few moments to herself.
    -----------------------------------------

In a dark corner after an hour of inquiring and searching, Rasphiak finds who he’s looking for. It will cost him 400gp or the person will not even consider it.

((The OOC Thread))
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-10-27 at 04:39 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sinister Spire IC

Regak slumps his shoulders, verbally defeated by the scaly information broker.

"Right, then," he says, and claps his gauntlet-ed hands together. He forces a pleasant expression, though it looks false and unnatural upon his craggy Dwarfish features. If Es Sarch wants to play the game this way, Regak has no choice but to play along, at least for now. Maybe later, when they have something more to bargain with, will Es Sarch be a bit more willing to play it Regak's way. For now, it's best to wait and see, and smile. Always smile. "Well, the way it looks at a moment I don't see that we've got much of a choice but to go on and do your second errand if we're to have any chance of getting what we want. So, out with it, Sarch. Let's hear what we have to do this time."
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2008-10-11 at 01:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Four hundred gold! Ridiculous!
    Rasphiak snarls at the person, clenching a claw-like hand as he glares at them.
    "You had best reconsider your price..."
    He leans forwards.
    "I don't appreciate being ripped off. Things could get a lot worse if you don't make things more reasonable. So are you sure your price is four hundred gold? Or did your tongue slip?"
    He sounds quite menacing and angry.

Intimidate: 1d20+10=20

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

It was odd. In such a place as this, definitely the worst of the dregs people had called a city, Nephia still liked the "chicken pot" special this place served. Though she doubted very much at times if a fowl had given its life to provide the meat in her stew. She still reserved an empty glass as her drink special though, preferring to use Elhonna's magic as a water source.

Wearing mithral armor and a dark blueish steel helmet low on her brow, after this the third day here, Nephia slumps in her seat for not even the daily special can cheer her up. For the first time, she wondered, maybe that last job wasn't such a bright idea if she only came to a dead end here. And in this town, a dead end could mean just that with all literalness.

She'd best be out on the morrow, but even here, the cleric's nosy and curious streak kicks in at hearing talk of people heading to that death trap of a tower in town, a job, errands...

...Wait a minute.

It takes a moment before Nephia realizes the danger, with a start she knocks over her glass and utensils, nearly spilling slop over herself in quiet a ruckus.

"Um... You mean some OTHER tower and not the place people meet gruesome deaths in, right?" she asks, before realizing she said that aloud.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2008-10-12 at 05:14 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Heggle takes another puff on his cigar as he eyes Nephia. "You know something about this spire?" He waves, beckoning her closer. "C'mere."

NASCRAG Judge in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

pirate-man founder me love thog!

Sneak. A. Tar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika Anova

Mika sips her ale quietly, watching the interaction between Es Sarch and the two she didn't recognize. She appears quite interested in the conversation, but lets things go as they will without interjection for the moment.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

At the bazaar, the man in the booth shrinks back, 300gp or nothing. There’s no one else to go to. The man thought he saw an easy mark, someone from above ground…he was mistaken, but doesn’t want to lower his price to much.
    ---------------------------------------

At the Dripstone Inn, Es Sarch sits back in his chair to wait for them to return their attention to him. He knows he will be able to find out what they need to know. He’s seen the cleric around before, she won’t know much, only common rumors.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Rasphiak smirks to himself. Still a little high, perhaps, but considering the price of the components, the rarity of the service, and the normal charges of wizards... far closer to what he wanted.
    He hands the two items in question over, along with half of the gold.
    "You get the rest when the service is complete."
    His eyes glow very faintly as he focuses his ability to sense magic, making as sure as he can that the spellcaster keeps his end of the bargain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use the warlock ability to detect magic, and have my spellcraft checks ready- to make sure that he names spells that fit with the schools of the magic items, and to make sure he's casting the right spells.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The man nods as he takes the gold. He prepares a drink of wine with a crushed pearl and stirred with an owl feather. He touches the arrow first. This arrow will create a geyser of spewing acid that will last for less than a minute. It is usually targeted against a flat surface such as a wall or the ground. ((Fountainhead Arrow, MiC 52)) He looks up at Rasphiak and the look he gets back is enough to make him go quickly to the second item, the wand. He prepares the drink again and casts the spell. This one is easier, A wand of magic missile with 10 charges left. ((caster level on the wand is 1st)) He looks back up at Rasphiak, and in a muttering voice asks him, Satisfied? He wants the rest of his money.

((El Jaspero doesn’t wish to change his post at this time, so tonberryking, feel free to respond.))
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Rasphiak nods with satisfaction and passes over the rest of the gold, taking his items back.
    "I keep my end of bargains..."
    He smirks and stalks off, heading back towards Dripstone.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

Leaving the remains of dinner on the table (likely where it belongs), Nephia approaches. "Well, only been here a few days, but you learn really quick that the Spike's a death trap. Nobody comes out, they say. Bloody dangerous, they say. All sorts of gruesome doom being found there, they say... Given how dangerous this dump already is, it's probably true if people readily admit you can die there." her voice is soft, incongruous with the blunt manner in which Nephia delivers an explanation.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Heggle considers this, then makes a hmpf sound and takes another puff. "Well I suppose we'll get to that in time. What're you doing in this charming place?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

"I'm starting to ask myself that exact same question," comes her blunt reply, "All in all it's because this was the last stop of my last errand for a mentor and finding work following isn't as easy as you'd think."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Rasphiak remains unmolested as he walks back through the dim streets this time. He makes it back to the Dripstone Inn.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Rasphiak gives a little smirk, but then frowns as he sees all the people and smoke within the Inn. Growling in the back of his throat, he crosses his arms, leans against the wall, and waits for his comrades to finish up and come back out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika Anova

Mika speaks up at the comment from Nephia. "That there's the gods-honest truth. Seems it's much easier to wind up in the place than it is to leave it. Unless you're leavin' by shedding off your mortal coil. That's easy to do." Her intention isn't so much of wanting to worm into the business at hand, just to strike up a conversation with someone.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

"Give me the woods any day. At least it smells nice there,"Nephia admits with a wrinkle of the nose and no sign of discomfort talking with random strangers,"What's so important at the Spike, anyway? This place is depressing but not enough to make people wander there for no good reason...

18. - Top - End - #18

Regak listens to the idle chatter for as long as he can bare it but, as patience is not one of his favorite virtues, he clears his throat and turns back towards Es Sarch, determined to learn what it is that he has to do to get what he came for. Tugging lightly on one of the tied tips of his beard, he motions with the other hand to get the attention of the snake-haired humanoid before him.

"So, then, what's your errand this time? If I'm to be killed on this foolish quest I'd rather get it over with than loll about in this cesspool of an inn and rot my lungs with Underdark air."
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2008-10-14 at 06:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Es Sarch stares at Regak from under his deep hood, You do not crave the smell of underground? You prefer the bright surface world? He leaves the questions as he continues.

The second task will be harder. The disruption following Pedestal's fall lasts even unto this hour, though I must admit the vacuum provided by the fleeing drow has been to my advantage. Consider, though, that the reason this city did and does not completely collapse into chaos is due to my efforts. Nearly everyone here appreciates my influence. But gratitude doesn't last, and others seek to displace me.

Es Sarch's voice falls to a whisper, forcing Regak to take a step closer in order to hear him. The Assassins' Guild has decided to seek an alliance with House Dusklorn. If my direct agents were to disrupt this burgeoning accord, I fear I'd do more to cement the relationship than diffuse it. I ask you to eliminate or drive off Elessarwa Nledoor, matron of the house and a psychotic. I have knowledge of a hidden route into her secret torture chamber, where she slinks away from her duties to the Dusklorn to apply her savage arts to hapless victims she takes from Pedestal's alleys. I have arranged matters so the Dusklorn will believe her death to be the work of the duplicitous Assassins' Guild. That will be the end of that. I have acquired the services of a sometime acquantaince of mine to assist you in this second task.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Heggle puffs.

"So."

He puffs again.

"So you need us to sneak into what is assuredly a well-guarded fortress and do in or abscond with its matron. And make sure it can be pegged on an entirely different group."

Puff.

"For a few scraps of information."

Puff.

The ornery gnome turns to Nephia. "Well, you did say you wanted work."

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

Just for a moment, Nephia is lost with a huff, her helmet slipping over her brow till she adjusts it."I did, didn't I?" she offers, looking back over to her pack and fancy shield. "But how do I know you're really offering me work? I haven't even told you what I can do, and this wouldn't be the first time someone tried to scam THIS cleric of Elhonna."

"...Oh, wait..." She sighs. "Seriously, are you jesting or are you in need of a healer?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

One nod from Es Sarch as he waits for a reply stating that they'll take the second job.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Heggle grins, offering a handshake. "You're a healer? Sold!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

24. - Top - End - #24

Regak glances over towards Heggle's conversation with the cleric and rolls his eyes, though he does attempt to be subtle about it. You would think, what with Heggle's lackadaisical attitude towards hiring new members for the group, that they were made of gold pieces. He humphs under his breath. To think, he'd been looking forward to the additional cut of wealth now that Elias was bobbing lifelessly in the underground bay. Of course, perhaps this party member was worth a cut of the treasure. Clerics can, if properly prepared, be worth their weight in gold.

He looks back to Es Sarch and nods.

"All right, then. We'll take the job, and so long as you hold up your end we'll do our part as best we can."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika Anova

When the people talking to Es Sarch agree to take the job, Mika takes a long pull on her mug, polishing off its contents before picking up a pack and walking over to join the group. "This the bunch o' folk you wanted me ta help out, Es?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Nephia

"That was easy. The boys always said that being able to channel godly power gets you noticed as a recruit..."

Nephia makes haste to get her gear, which... she was pretty much carrying all at once. "I take it we're to be retrieving information or something, but what comes after that, assuming we're not gored to death?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Es Sarch nods to Mika, You know the direction and where they need to go. He doesn't say anything more.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Mika

Mika looks over the group. "Bit of motley crew, but I suppose we work with what we're given, eh, mates?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Heggle scratches his beard and puffs his cigar. "At this point it mostly seems we're hoping to survive. But as I recall the original plan is to recover some bones before they do something that'll mess up the works something bad." He turns to Regak. "That sound right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inner Circle

Sneak. A. Tar.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Outside, Rasphiak crosses his arms and growls under his breath, stalking back and forth as he waits for the others to come back out of that nasty, smoke and human infested place. He gives a bristling glare at the doorway and the people inside as he prowls like a wolf just outside of the range of a fire.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-10-24 at 01:12 PM.