New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Accessing OotS

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Accessing OotS

I tried to hook a friend of mine on OotS, but she had trouble loading it. Even got a message saying she couldn't find the GiantITP.com server! Was this just a freak occurance, or what?
    \"But we must think of the golfers! Our retrorockets will scorch the green for at least 100 yards!\" &&-Batman, on why not to pursue the Joker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Accessing OotS

I would need more information. Has she ever been able to visit the site?

Is she attempting to view the site behind a corporate firewall?

If she goes to a dos prompt and types "ping www.giantitp.com" (without the quotes) does it say that it's pinging "209.208.185.103"?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, try sendin' em' the link directly! Never under estimate someone's ability to mistype something just slightly... (Having worked for a cable modem ISP customer service for Tier 2 for 3 years... I think I have seen and heard it all)...
    ::)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    I would need more information. Has she ever been able to visit the site?
    I don't think she ever tried before.

Is she attempting to view the site behind a corporate firewall?
    Nope.

If she goes to a dos prompt and types &quot;ping www.giantitp.com&quot; (without the quotes) does it say that it's pinging &quot;209.208.185.103&quot;?
    Well, since she uses a GOOD system (Macintosh :)), she doesn't have a DOS prompt.

I should also say that I occasionally have some trouble, but a Refresh gets it. I'll have to suggest that to her.
    \"But we must think of the golfers! Our retrorockets will scorch the green for at least 100 yards!\" &&-Batman, on why not to pursue the Joker.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gannes
    Well, since she uses a GOOD system (Macintosh :)), she doesn't have a DOS prompt.
    She likely does have a console window. And if it's OS X, my suggestion would work in a console window. Tho, most Mac users wouldn't know a console window from a ... ... ...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Aw, man, if she's a Mac user we need to get her to see the site pronto. Mac Addicts Unite! ;D

Of course, sadly most of us Mac users don't know diddly about how to fix this stuff. :-[
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~