New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Therinn Adventures: Group 2

The southern town of Fenderin is busy with merchants and travelers, but you have each managed to find a room at the Frosty Hare Inn. You've each arrived over the course of the evening, which at the Frosty Hare can quickly turn into a night of drinking and dancing with other merchants, travelers, and towns folk. Or perhaps you sat alone and watched the festivities, as a few choose to do here. Either way at some point you've made your way to bed, your head buzzing with conversations had and overheard during the evening.

Fenderin has only recently started bustling with activity. Since Therinnholm's call for adventurer's and merchants, Fenderin and Goldwatch Keep have become important; it's the first main town in Therinn between Therinnholm and kingdom of Morden to the south. The Feyhollow Forest to the east and the Hammered Mountains to the west funnel all traffic north and south through Fenderin. While most merchants and travelers merely stop the day in Fenderin to restock, the needs of a growing town have it's people calling for help as well. The garrison at Goldwatch is busy with patrols on the Gold Road heading north towards Hammerfell and Therinnholm. A watch post marks the true boarder a little further south. Since the guards are spread so thin, kobolds and goblins have been picking away at the surrounding farms, the mining towns west, and lightly guarded merchant caravans along the roads. Recently the owner of the Frosty Hare, a dwarf named Krum Morgrund, has decided to start a sort of adventurer's guild. There he sets out the various posted needs by merchants, land owners, and even official jobs for the town of Fenderin and Goldwatch Keep.

The next day the common room has been been rearranged, eliminating the small stage where a 3 halfling musicians and a half-elven woman sang and danced for most of the evening. Now there were more rows of tables. Most have been cleared, most of the early risers having left, as have most of the caravans by now. A few drunks lay passed out in the far corner, but otherwise only the staff is about.

Krum Morgrund pops into the room from the kitchen, a swift stride for a middle-aged dwarf, carrying some bread and cheese in his hand and on his beard, milk in the other hand. He walks over to a large board were several postings had been place and begins taking down a few and crossing out others. He then makes his way to the bar where he props himself up on a stool and eats his food while looking over the papers.

Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to introduce yourselves to one another if your characters don't already know each other or feel free to speak with Krum.
    Melkor, Tiefling Warlock Avatar by Nevitan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gorl

Entering the room, Gorl stretches his arms and yawns. "Morning Krum." Wearing only pants, his torso is uncovered, showing a myriad of bruises dotting his body, the freshest seeming to be the one covering his eye. "At least I had the courtesy to take that one outside." On his back is a tattoo of an eagle, wings spread across each shoulder. He nods over at the drunks in the corner. "Need some help with them?"
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-10-14 at 01:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Krum gives a hearty laugh at the sight of the barbarian, "HA! Gorl if I'm not mistaken? Thank you for the help last night. Usually my boys can handle such problems, but the help is appreciated. What do you have planned today?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Senerio

enters the room, dressed for travel in his cloak and armor. He waits calmly and quietly for Krum to finish talking to Gorl.

5. - Top - End - #5

Gorl

Gorl stretches again and heads over to the notice board. "Not really sure. Something as fun as last night, maybe."

6. - Top - End - #6

Krum looks up as Senerio enters the room from the upstairs and nods at the marked man. Returning to Gorl, Krum takes another bite of his bread and looks down at his postings.
    "Most of the ones on board have been taken, some outright cancelled. Most folks don't stay in Fenderin too long, what will all the real money to be made in Therinnholm. Of course they've got it all wrong, they should have let the towns make their own calls... Bah I'm blathering on. Listen I've got a couple of small jobs here that came to me late Gorl. They aren't much but enough that you'll need some help by the looks of it. I don't like sending anyone out of town alone. Find yourself a group and let me know."

7. - Top - End - #7

Gorl

"Group... group..."
    he regards the drunks in the corner for a moment, then chuckles. He spots Senerio and raises an eyebrow at the mage, then turns back to the drunks. "Guess you lot will have to do, come on wake up, we got adventurin to do."

8. - Top - End - #8

The drunks struggle and fight to keep sleeping but Gorl manages to wake them. Realizing they're still at the Frosty Hare they move past Gorl and stumble out the door of the inn, mumbling and grumbling about being late and that the caravan most likely left.
    Krum lets out another loud laugh, "I though I was going to have to douse those two and get them going. They should be able to catch up to their caravan, but i don't pity them..." Krum's words fade off as he returns to his bread and cheese.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Senerio sizes up Krum's contented munching.
    "So, I suppose I'll have to get my own breakfast, then?"

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Senerio sizes up Krum's contented munching.
    "So, I suppose I'll have to get my own breakfast, then?"
    "Now don't worry yourself lad," Krum says and he motions to one of the servers to attend to Senerio.
    Krum looks the human over as he is served his breakfast, "You're one of the others that arrived last night... Hmmm I don't suppose you're looking for work as well?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Terp

There is the loud thud-thud-thud of hurried footsteps as someone runs down the stairs. The sound stops as the person comes to a halt, yet nobody enters the room. After a few moments of quiet, a head of tousled black hair and two eyes cautiously appear round the corner at halfling-height. These quickly retreat, but after just a moment more, Terp walks in. His hair is an absolute mess, and his clothes are not much better. A crossbow is just barely hanging on to his belt, while pockets and pouches of all sorts bulge and rattle as he moves. His appearance as a whole seems to suggest he may have just got out of bed and dashed downstairs, dressing on the way; sleek, he is not.

He looks both rather embarassed and faintly nervous as he takes in the people in the room, and bobs his head with a grin. "Oh! Still people around. Even so late." , he says, speaking in short bursts almost as though short of breath, although he does not appear to be. "Good morning."
    Last edited by LemonAndLime; 2008-10-14 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Typo

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by LemonAndLime View Post
    Terp

There is the loud thud-thud-thud of hurried footsteps as someone runs down the stairs. The sound stops as the person comes to a halt, yet nobody enters the room. After a few moments of quiet, a head of tousled black hair and two eyes cautiously appear round the corner at halfling-height. These quickly retreat, but after just a moment more, Terp walks in. His hair is an absolute mess, and his clothes are not much better. a crossbow is just barely hanging on to his belt, while pockets and pouches of all sorts bulge and rattle as he moves. His appearance as a whole seems to suggest he may have just got out of bed and dashed downstairs, dressing on the way; sleek, he is not.

He looks both rather embarassed and faintly nervous as he takes in the people in the room, and bobs his head with a grin. "Oh! Still people around. Even so late." , he says, speaking in short bursts almost as though short of breath, although he does not appear to be. "Good morning."
    Krum chortles at the sight of the halfling. "If you're looking for food grab a seat with the human there. Teryn will be by shortly to serve you."
    A moment later a dwarven woman comes through the kitchen bearing food for Senerio. Seeing the halfling, she takes his order before heading back to the kitchen, humming a tune from the night before.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Zerin, Half-Elf Warlock
    There is a quiet stepping noise, coming from the stairs, followed shortly by a tall, skinny figure wearing a fine black robe, with the hood raised up to conceal his eyes. He stalks near silently to the nearest available seat, keeping his head down.after finding a place to wait for breakfast, he draws down his hood, revealing a head covered in tattoos, which seem to shift patterns every few seconds. He stares intensely across the room at the large human, before standing slowly, stepping over to him. He taps the man on the shoulder to gain his attention, before raising one sleeved arm to waist height. With an expert flip, he raises the sleeve to above his wrist, and says with a growing smile, and in exuberant tones
    Hey there! I'm Zerin, Zerin Danel. I suppose you're looking for a few strong men to help you out with one of the fine, fine jobs you can take at this wonderful establishment!? Well, if you need it, I can rip a persons soul out from their various orifices, or send shards of poison made solid into their body! Did I mention I can rip people's souls out through their nose? Cause I can, and I really could use the work.
    He says this all in a smiling, glorious tone, his face never flickering to reveal anything but immense happiness.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomologist View Post
    "If you're looking for food grab a seat with the human there. Teryn will be by shortly to serve you."
    "Oh, thank you. Thank you." Terp pulls himself up into a seat, smiling and nodding a little at Senerio. Although still seeming a little...frazzled, he slowly seems to relax.

At least until Zerin makes his entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shhhh!
    Hey there! I'm Zerin, Zerin Danel. I suppose you're looking for a few strong men to help you out with one of the fine, fine jobs you can take at this wonderful establishment!? Well, if you need it, I can rip a persons soul out from their various orifices, or send shards of poison made solid into their body! Did I mention I can rip people's souls out through their nose? Cause I can, and I really could use the work.
    Terp's eyes, already curious at the sight of the tattoos, seem to practically pop out as Zerin's little speech continues. With a slight choking sound, he pushes himself down into his chair, shrivelling up and shrinking down below the level of the table.

15. - Top - End - #15

Gorl

Gorl smiles widely at the warlock. "Really, what's that like?" He looks over at Krum, and raises an eyebrow. "You attract all sorts." He sits down at the table and looks over at the group. "Well then, what's the job?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Adonel

"Rather distasteful business, pulling souls out from noses that is. The shards of poison is somewhat more tasteful though. The noise comes from a man who would have been lurking in the shadow of the common room's chimney if the flames coming off his body hadn't made such a task impossible. He stands and moves closer to the others as he focuses on Zerin.

I always preferred the more practical applications of arcane energy. All I need is a blade and my knowledge to be dangerous. With that he throws the blade out away from himself before teleporting it back into his hand. Adonel Terenta, Swordmage. Always looking for a chance at adventure and a bit of arcane lore.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Zerin Danel
    As Gorl asks his question, the Half-Elf looks skyward, seeking words to explain the feeling.
    Oh!, Oh! I got it! It's a lot like pulling a drainplug from a full sink! It's hard at first, but soon enough- POP!- And out it comes!
    He then returns to his seat, and faces the Genasi, and says in the tone of one seeking approval
    Well....I don't have to use the nose, but that's about the only part that leaves a clean soul. Well, cleaner.
    And with a final question of the Bartender
    Would you have a glass of wine, and some kind of meat that I could get? It would be nice. Although, I'd have to wait to pay you until after the job...

18. - Top - End - #18

Teryn, the serving girl, comes back from the kitchen with more food for the table. Noticing a few more have joined she takes their orders and heads back to kitchen.
    Zerin Danel
    And with a final question of the Bartender
    Would you have a glass of wine, and some kind of meat that I could get? It would be nice. Although, I'd have to wait to pay you until after the job...
    Krum looks up from the bar and makes his way to the table. With a bundle of papers rolled up in his fist, he points the roll at Zerin, "You'll eat what you can pay for lad. I don't run this place on credit. How do I know you'll be returnin'?"

Teryn comes running into the common room followed by a halfling wearing leather armor. Krum turns away from Zerin and moves quickly towards the halfling. The clasp arms briefly before heading back towards the kitchen speaking in low whispers.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Terp

Terp's eyes and head have been darting around, eyeing the door, Zerin, and the distance between the two. Eventually, however, he takes in the other people in the room, and slowly comes to a decision. Sitting up straight, he darts a very half-hearted smile at Zerin, and tries to speak up. "Ze-Zerin, you said? I- I suppose if you're looking for a j-job, then you're not here on b-b-business? Already?" He smiles another sickly smile, tinged with desperate hope.
    Last edited by LemonAndLime; 2008-10-15 at 08:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Zerin Danel
    Zerin's mouth opens into a wide, beaming grin.
    Well....Don't tell anyone, but, you see, There was a rash of B&Es in a town down in the south, you follow? And I stopped by there for the night, to get in some rest...Anyway, it turns out a Halfling had been stealing from the people there. And, you know how it is, you need work, so, they put out a contract, DoA on him. And I managed to track him here, so I figure, he's probably going to try and hook up with a party, and get all out of dodge, right? So I'm laying in wait, until I find him, and I'm going to join up with his party, Follow him out in the wilderness...And then what happens next is up to him.
    The shadows that already seem to cling to Zerin deepen, And he traces a spiral of shadow in the air with his hand throughout the tale. Only moments after spinning it, he bursts into laughter, before breaking down and explaining
    Oh, you don't need to worry about me. The worst, Absolute worst that could happen is that I send your soul to suffer with the DARKNESS for an eternity, and I try to avoid doing that to people that aren't actively trying to get me killed. So, you can calm down now, I won't eat you.

21. - Top - End - #21

After a few minutes Krum comes back in from the kitchen. He looks around the common room before heading over to the table where the five strangers are seated and having their breakfast.

"Gentlemen! A very important package needs to be taken south immediately. Looks like sender couldn't get to the caravan in time and it already left some hours ago. If you leave now you should be able to catch the caravan a little after midday, if not then certainly before nightfall.
    "Normally I'd just need one person to do this, preferably on horse back, but horses are scarce these days, and with the rising kobold attacks on the south road I wouldn't want to send anyone alone. I know you've only just met but this is an urgent request. It would give you all a chance to know one another as I wouldn't think you would run into any troubles. Besides the job pays very well, five hundred gold well. They really want this package delivered.
    "Let me know as quick as you can, otherwise I'll need to find another group before the package is taken to that tiefling Silzner..." Krum grumbles out the last part about Silzner. We waits patiently as you all decide wether or not to go.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Five hundred a piece, or five hundred total?" Senerio, having finished his breakfast, now looks at the host with a piercing gaze.

"And why should we be able to catch the caravan before nightfall? What is slowing their progress?"

23. - Top - End - #23

"Five hundred a piece, or five hundred total?" Senerio, having finished his breakfast, now looks at the host with a piercing gaze.

"And why should we be able to catch the caravan before nightfall? What is slowing their progress?"
    Krum looks over at the human, "Five hundred total, or about a hundred for each of you. As for the caravan traveling slowly, most don't move much faster than a march so close to Fenderin. Many also pace themselves so they can spend the night camped by the watch post before traveling into Morden."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Zerin Danel
    Zerin laughs quietly.
    See? You worry too much. Lets get hurrying, that way we can hit an inn and rest overnight, before coming back.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Terp

"One hundred each?" Terp perks up. He darts cautious, hurt looks at Zerin, but then nods. "I would gladly do that. I suppose we should hurry?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Adonel

Hmm... Kobolds, the great outdoors, and good money for an easy job, sounds perfect. I'm always looking for a good challenge and those reptilian ankle biters can be surprisingly cunning. Well I'd imagine leaving soon would be wise, keeping up a good pace will make this very quick and maybe a little too easy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"So, I suppose that settles it. We'll leave as soon as everyone gets their equipment ready." Senerio starts to turn to go retrieve the rest of his equipment, then stops and turns to Krum.

"One thing. I'd like to see the five hundred before we leave."

28. - Top - End - #28

Gorl

"Let me get my things and we can get going." He shoves a piece of bread in his mouth and hurries upstairs, returning fully armoured and carrying a wicked looking blade.

29. - Top - End - #29

Senerio starts to turn to go retrieve the rest of his equipment, then stops and turns to Krum.

"One thing. I'd like to see the five hundred before we leave."
    Krum crosses his arms in front of his chest and laughs at Senerio, "Well boy you won't be leaving then will you? I don't pay in advance, especially not to people I don't know."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I just want to see that you have the money... I won't take it in advance. I'm not going to leave on a job and then return to find out I'm not going to get paid."