Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    K2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Gender
    Male

    Default Turns(mechanics)

    We already know that when a new side enters a conflict that its turns are placed into the already established rotation, and y the looks of it that side simply takes the top(morning) slot(both transvisto and charlies turns came before Knobs which had been first). My question is about sides that have not enter the conflict, now I understand that transvistos turn had been concurrent with Ansomes because they were in an alliance together and the some holds true for charlie after he joined them, but about the turn before charlie joined them?
    And what about other sides not directly connected to the western war? where are their turns?
    Perhaps some sides take their turns at night, this would make sense if Erf was round. But we have no evidence for or against that assumption.
    Maybe multiple sides can ave congruent turns as long as they are sufficiently far apart from one another, but that just brings a whole host of question on what happens when they don't end turns at the same time.
    Do sides only get turns if they are fighting in a war? Maybe sides just have turns on their own until they enter a war with another side?



    I don't know, this is just another one of those mechanics question that just kinda hit me, its all speculation. Its midnight here on the island. I will check this out latter
    Memento mori

    I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Delaware

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    It could just be perspective. I know when I play Battle for Wesnoth, I don't notice CPU player turns if I can't see them. Perhaps you only see the turns that are relivant to your side. If say Charlie is not involved at all in your conflict, you won't notice when he takes his turn before yours. However the moment he is involved as an independent agent, you can notice his turns.

    The other thing I can think of is that this world is an instantiated dungeon in MMOs. Since Charlie wasn't involved in this battle, he didn't physically exist untill he entered the fray as a coalition ally. Now that's not to say that he didn't exist outside in maybe a different instantiated campaign, or he could have just been sitting in some lobby like instantiation where he could build his units in peace until he got involved into a different campaign.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    I imagine that where sides are not in conflict, their turns appears to occur instantly.
    Real wizards use staves

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    This is me being picky but the word you're looking for is "Instanced". For those of you not familiar with the term, it means a smaller portion of the game run on seperate -usually smaller- server, specifically created for a group of players.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Finwe View Post
    I imagine that where sides are not in conflict, their turns appears to occur instantly.
    That's similar to what I've been assuming; my own assumption is that when you are not involved in a hot war, you don't have "turns" per se: your units just pop in the morning, and you have until dusk for your units to use up their move.
    I seem to have the ability to misinterpret the most obvious of meanings and to completely miss the points of statements for no obvious reason. Just a warning.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    K2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    That's similar to what I've been assuming; my own assumption is that when you are not involved in a hot war, you don't have "turns" per se: your units just pop in the morning, and you have until dusk for your units to use up their move.
    Yeah, but what if dusk comes early, before you have had enough time to move all of your units. And when you ask around you find that there are two small sides having a war and they are both ending their turns very quickly?



    Also, does that fact that ansom turn is in the after noon mean that he started the war? We have already seen the the latter you join a conflict the earlier in the day your turn is. And Ansoms turn is at the very end of the day, so does that not imply that he started the war?
    Memento mori

    I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Since Charlie wasn't involved in this battle, he didn't physically exist untill he entered the fray as a coalition ally. Now that's not to say that he didn't exist outside in maybe a different instantiated campaign, or he could have just been sitting in some lobby like instantiation where he could build his units in peace until he got involved into a different campaign.
    He existed in Erfworld at least to the extent that Ansom was aware enough of him to say "This turn is not over yet...Someone get me Charlie." (page 34, Last Panel)

    Quote Originally Posted by K2
    Also, does that fact that ansom turn is in the after noon mean that he started the war? We have already seen the the latter you join a conflict the earlier in the day your turn is. And Ansoms turn is at the very end of the day, so does that not imply that he started the war?
    I don't think there's any question who launched the current campaign. Also on Page 34, Panel 5, Vinny to Ansom:"And suddenly you stop everything to wipe him out." So, Ansom formed the coalition to attack Stanley, not to defend from him. Now he may have had good reason, and he certainly thinks so, and Vinny agrees with the objective, but questions his true motive for doing so based on what must seems to been only a minor incident. Not, unlike some great power invading another country not for actually attacking them, but to forestall them from doing so.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2008-10-14 at 10:44 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AceOfFools's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Yeah, but what if dusk comes early, before you have had enough time to move all of your units. And when you ask around you find that there are two small sides having a war and they are both ending their turns very quickly?



    Also, does that fact that ansom turn is in the after noon mean that he started the war? We have already seen the the latter you join a conflict the earlier in the day your turn is. And Ansoms turn is at the very end of the day, so does that not imply that he started the war?
    Whose to say that the days pass quicker just because everyone's taken their turns?

    There's still enough time for Parson to sleep every night. There might need to be some sort of maximum time limit such that running down the clock doesn't hose the opposition, but given the amount of time a turn takes how big a deal would that be?

    I toss my dunce's cap in with ObadiahtheSlim and say the NPCs internal clocks didn't wake them up for Charlie's turns prior till he joined the conflict.
    I rarely log on to the OotS forum unless I'm really bored, suffering from insomnia, or (most likely) both. Please don't be offended if I never respond to your questions.

    I apologize for any inconvenience.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    Quote Originally Posted by AceOfFools View Post
    Whose to say that the days pass quicker just because everyone's taken their turns?

    There's still enough time for Parson to sleep every night. There might need to be some sort of maximum time limit such that running down the clock doesn't hose the opposition, but given the amount of time a turn takes how big a deal would that be?

    I toss my dunce's cap in with ObadiahtheSlim and say the NPCs internal clocks didn't wake them up for Charlie's turns prior till he joined the conflict.


    Ah, but who says Parson sleeps the same number of "hours" each night. Erf mechanics might dictate that at the beginning of his turn, he'll feel rested no matter how many "hours" he actually slept. In short, his sleep pattern might be turn based, not time based. It may not matter whether he sleeps 1 minute, 1 hour or 8 hours.

    Which of course raises the question...if Ansom simply passed each and every turn within a few seconds of it beginning...would Parson feel rested...or would he gradually deteriorate as he became more and more fatigued.

    Or...maybe he can spend part of his turn sleeping...though if he could still wake up and act later...that would make sleep time dependent. Has that ever happened?
    Last edited by Theodoriph; 2008-10-15 at 11:26 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    K2's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Turns(mechanics)

    there is always a "night" between ansomes turn and the Tools turn
    Memento mori

    I see that your Wiki-Fu is strong.
    --The Chuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •