New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Run to the North, FR (IC)

Ignoring the change in the music and Quin's demands, Thalur addresses the group, signaling for the music to calm.

(Assuming the music calms)

"We leave here as soon as possible, get your things and meet me outside when you can. We'll eat as we walk. As soon as Mato grabs his horse, we can ride. Questions?"
    Three over, two under, one stumbling.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

[OOC: This is assuming Aust also begins to end his tune]

Frowning in disappointment, Quintillius brings his own playing to a close with a particularly unnerving vibrato note.

"Well. Yes. I'll just grab my bags from upstairs then."

Walking off, with what might be considered a slight droop, he heads up the stairs to grab his things, and returns a moment later.

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aust continues to play a few lingering notes as Quin goes up the stairs. As he finishes he looks up and says with a smile,

"Ah nothing helps calm the mind or cures a hangover like playing an instrument. Mato, you should pick up some sort of percussion instrument. We'd have a band. You'd provide the beat, Quin would have the melody, I could sing and dance or play back-up on harp. It'd be grand!"

Scraps gives a hearty squeak of agreement as Aust puts his harp away and straps on his pack.
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-24 at 09:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Good job on the music, my friends. Never hurts to get the spirit moving a bit before a bit of travel." Giving a nod of confirmation to Thalur, Mato leaves the inn to get Jin. After a few minutes, Mato returns to the inn. "Jin is ready to ride, and so am I. How about we start this little trip?" Mato says, seemingly eager to get back out on the open road.
    Last edited by stipes; 2008-10-25 at 12:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Mato walks out of the inn, Aust's ears and hat give a visible droop in disappointment.

He didn't even acknowledged the idea of a band.

Don't worry master, maybe he just didn't hear you. Look on the bright side, he complemented you on your performance.

Aust's ears and hat perk back up as Mato walks back into the inn.

That he did little one. There might be some hope for this one after all.

Aust brings himself up to full measure, takes a deep breath and marches toward the door of the inn.

"Well I'm itchin' to get on the road. It's the first constructive thing I've done in a month."

Reaching the door he stops, turns to Mato and says,

"Seriously though, drums."

Then Aust walks out into the morning.
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-25 at 03:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thalur swiftly takes the men out to his wagon, which appears to be covered in blue cloth. Behind him are three more wagons of a similar type, Aust catches a glimpse of one of the drivers. A dwarf bearing the same chaka symbol as Thalur on the back of his green shirt.

With that, the caravan begins to head west by south toward the mouth of the Liontongue, carefully fords through, and heads toward the cusp of the Curna Mountains. Nothing extraordinary happens during this first day of travel, and the team is fed bread and fresh water twice before stopping to make camp roughly two miles away from the edge of the mountains.

Camp is rugged, yet organized. A basic thing with a campfire and bedrolls. the camp is neither skillfully constructed nor poorly built. Two separate campfires house 5 bedrolls each. (Thalur, 3 guards, 3 drivers, 3 workers) Setting up camp takes roughly an hour with the added help, and everyone has an hour to kill before sleeping if they wish to get 6 hours rest. Otherwise, sleep is already starting to set in, it would be easy to rest.
    Last edited by Wertible; 2008-10-26 at 05:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well seeing that I need as much time as possible to be able to prepare my spells, I say goodnight to you chaps."

With that Aust lays on his bedroll and adjusts his hat so that it remains on his head but doesn't touch the ground. Soon after with an asleep Scraps curled up on his chest, Aust begins to snore.

8. - Top - End - #38

Enjoying being on the road again, the first part of the journey goes pleasantly for Quintillius. When they arrive at camp, he does hi part in helping set up, and then retires to his bedroll, lying awake for a brief time before falling asleep.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mato takes a deep breath of the fresh night air, and lays down to watch the stars in the clear night sky, until he drifts off into a settled slumber.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aust dreams of fire. His home burns around him and drow slaughter his family. His mother hands him a book, but when he opens it the pages are blank. The book also burst into flames as Aust looks around in bewilderment.

Aust wakes up with a start.

"Bloody dreams, THIS is why I started drinking" Aust grumbles to himself. He sits up, spilling his hat and familiar onto the ground. The weasel sends him feelings of annoyance which soon turns to concern after reading his master's thoughts.

Aust places the hat back upon his head and whispers, "Sorry old friend, bad dreams that's all."

He extends an arm to Scraps, who gives Aust's finger a loving nibble and then scrambles up his master's arm and back onto his usual perch. Looking around Aust notices the rest of the camp is asleep.

"Blimey, no watch? We could be overrun by bandits before anyone knows it." Aust takes a perch upon one of the wagons and mumbles to Scraps, "Well I don't suppose I'm going to be getting back to sleep anytime soon, might as well take the watch"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Aust begins to make himself comfortable, he manages to spot a dark figure sneaking toward the rear wagon from further down the path. He appears to be human, roughly 5' 6", and wearing a black cloak that conceals most of his figure. He is making is way toward the wagon quickly, roughly 50 ft. away.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Seeing the figure, Aust draws his sword and hops off of his perch. Pointing his sword at the stranger Aust says,

"Alright that's far enough. Who are you and what is your business here?"

With a squeak Scraps leaps from Aust's hat and scampers to the others. The weasel proceeds to run over each person's face until they awake.
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-30 at 10:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Awakening to a furry bundle running over his face, Quintillius sits up spitting fur into his mouth. Seeing Aust staring into the darkness, he grabs his sword and stands up hurriedly, sending an apologetic glance in the direction of Scraps, he walks over behind Aust, and sees the black cloaked figure.

He raises his eyebrows at Aust's back. Seeing someone like that in this situation was an impressive spot.

He stays silent, since Aust seems to have a handle on the wordy bits. Quin merely takes the position of 'intimidating backup,' and pushes away the thoughts lamenting the missed sleep.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mato snaps to attention as the weasel approaches him. With a smooth swipe, he raises his bow and strings it. Brushing past the little one, he only mutters, "Sorry to lessen your wakeup call, but it's time I go," and approaches the others.
    Last edited by stipes; 2008-10-30 at 10:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The dark figure raises its hands slowly, his movements draw the cloak behind his body, and his gloves scrape the air above him. As the party stares at his left side, he responds slowly, in a voice almost like a growl.

"Mercenaries as guards, should've known. Looks like a capable lot too."

He begins to step forward, hands still raised, toward the firelight.

"I will explain my purpose here, and everything you need to know about Thalur as soon as he stops threatening me."

He motions toward Thalur who is sitting up in his bedroll, a crossbow pointed directly at the figure. He stands and moves toward the group, taking a position in the rear. His eyes seem to glimmer with a deep hatred as he stares at the man before him.

"I'm not paying you to sit around and chat with bandits, take the man down and subdue him!"

"The one who makes haste to silence a voice performs his deceit therein."

The dark figure calmly turns toward the party, and lower his hands.
    Last edited by Wertible; 2008-10-30 at 11:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quintillius frowns at Thalur. "I will not attack a man who wishes to speak. Under the law, all deserve a fair chance." He turns back towards the dark figure. "State your meaning then."

Despite his words, Quin's hands remains on his greatsword.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thalur moves quickly, shooting his crossbow at the man. The bolt slips past the man's lower body, embedding itself in the wagon. The man remains calm, hands in the air as before. He looks toward Quin.

"Well?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Firstly you're not paying us. Secondly I don't attack people with their hands up. But people with crossbows pointed at people with their hands up..." With that Aust swings Shatter down upon Thalur's crossbow. "I take exception"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initative:1d20+3= 12+3=15
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1791806/

Action (When turn arrives): Sunder Thalur's crossbow.
    Attack: 1d20+8= 11+8= 19
    Damage: 1d8+2= 8+2= 10
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1791808/
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-30 at 11:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quintillius reacts immediately, drawing his sword, and muttering an incantation under his breath.

"Speak now." He commands the stranger.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+1)[20]

Move Action:
    Draw greatsword
    Standard Action: Cast Grease, directed under Thalur. Target must make DC 15 Reflex or fall prone. Repeat each turn Target remains in 10ft square.
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-10-30 at 11:32 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Addressing the dark man, Mato is curt. "Intriguing, but not interesting. State yourself clearly, and keep your hands where we can see them. And bloody hell, you three, calm down."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 9 (roll)
    Action: Prepare action -- fire bow at the man upon him drawing a weapon or beginning to cast a spell
    Last edited by stipes; 2008-10-30 at 11:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quin expertly brings his sword into his hands, the fire glistening off of its fine blade, as he does so, his left hand expertly grabs something from his belt, and grasps it strongly in his left, pointing at the spot where Thalur stands.

Suddenly, Thalur slips and falls on his back, his crossbow sliding through conjured grease toward Aust. Aust immediately slams his longsword, Shatter, with all its beautiful scrollwork on the blade and fine adamantine craftsmanship, directly onto Thalur's crossbow, breaking it into three separate pieces and cutting the mechanism clean in two. Drawing back up with his sword covered in mud and grease, his eyes focus on Thalur.

Mato's eyes on the other hand, never waver from the man in black, bow still pointed at his head. He addresses him with an air of calm only suitable for someone who has survived countless hardships.

After hearing Mato speak, Thalur looks at his crossbow and takes his time to stand.

"Alright, alright. I'm calm, let's just handle this rationally. Go on and "hear him out." It's all a bunch of lies. I'm going to go and explain what's happening to the rest of the camp."

A quick glance reveals that the rest of the camp has begun to awake from the commotion, Thalur begins to step toward the rest of the workers.
    Last edited by Wertible; 2008-10-31 at 12:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

"No, you stay here till we work everything out." He smiled, in an attempt to take any sting from his words. "I apologize for my actions. I simply wish to know the truth of the matter. And besides, it will be easier for you to defend yourself if you remain here."

"Go on then." To the stranger.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+14)[27]

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thalur quickly stops, stands still, and then promptly slips and falls on his back again. As he falls, his right hand folds behind his back, and is struck by the full weight of his body. He screams in pain as he rolls to rest on his left side, favoring his right arm.

"Oh yeah, maybe you could at least get rid of this wonderful grease before we start the ****ing story time eh? I think that I just broke my damn hand."

Ignoring Thalur, the man steps forward, lowering his hands fully this time and reaching into a small sack on his belt.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aust flourishes his blade and sticks it into the ground. He leans on the sword like a cane, smirking at his boss's pratfall. Seeing Thalur nursing his hand removes the smirk.

"Oh just remove the grease. That hand needs seeing to and I have something to help it if I can get across this stuff."
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-31 at 12:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quintillius hides a smile as the grease disappears on it's own right after Thalur finishes his words. He begins to speak, but quickly turns his attention back to the stranger.

"Stop those hands. State your business before you move again."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ignoring the stranger now that the other are awake, Aust removes the sword from the ground. He kneels beside Thalur and with his left hand touches the belt then Thalur's hand releasing a charge of positive energy into it.

Smiling to Thalur, Aust stands up and says, "Right, I just love a good story. Do tell" With that he resumes the sword-as-cane posture.
    Last edited by Plasma Snake; 2008-10-31 at 12:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You are a dense one aren't you? I meant the damn elf over there."

The man clears his throat, and swiftly withdraws his hand from his pouch, revealing a small scrap of parchment along with a small glimmering metal object.

"To state my business and identify myself you say? Alright, my name's Geas Beal, and my business is to keep a close eye on this man's shipments into Chavyondat."

He pauses. He seems to lose his focus and stagger, only to right himself stiffly shortly thereafter.

"Do you mind if I come and show you my identification and credentials?"

Mato, silent all this time, speaks swiftly.

"I have no problem with you coming over here, as long as I can see your hands at all times."
    Last edited by Wertible; 2008-10-31 at 12:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Seeing Thalur taken care of, Quintillius merely nods assent at Mato's words.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Of course you can. Here let me." Aust takes a few steps toward the stranger to inspect the credentials. After a step Aust feels an odd sensation under his boot. Looking down he realizes its Thalur's formerly broken hand.

"Sorry boss. I guess I am a dense one."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thalur screams loudly, and then stop moving. He lays motionless on the ground, his hand still firmly under Aust's boot.

(Assuming Aust goes on to inspect credentials)

The man lowers his hands to reveal a piece of parchment and a small necklace. On the parchment, Aust sees a stark glimmering green ink scrawled in a rather extremely foreign script that seems to move with his eyes across the note. Near the bottom is a chaka seal with a name next to it in Elven, "Geas Beal." The name means nothing, but the seal most certainly seeks to intimidate, it is nothing less than the seal of Seltarir, the chaka of the rajah himself.

In his other hand, a small golden necklace bears crossed swords over a shield inscribed in a circle. It seems to reflect light almost as a mirror and glows strongly in his hands.

"I'm not obligated to tell you what any of this means, but surely you feel the weight of what would happen if you were to attempt to harm me eh?"

Only now does Aust glance up into the elf's eyes. They glow a powerful sky blue which radiates an aura of calmness and security. Somehow, the scars on his face don't make his appearance any less calming or relaxing. Some dark hair emerges over the brim of the his black cloak.

"Do what you will, but you might want to stop playing Maquar for a bit and realize who you're dealing with."

He retracts the two items and stows them in his pouch once more.
    Last edited by Wertible; 2008-10-31 at 01:31 AM.