New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Old School 3.5 IC Thread

Bloodstone Village

You have either just arrived here in Bloodstone Village or have been here for a while. But it is a great time to be in the area, This is the time of Celebration. It has been 5 years since the defeat of Zhygi the Witch King, and Orcs, Prince of Demons. The forces they used to over run this area and destroy everything they came across have dispersed.

Bloodstone has been handed over to the leader of the group that stopped the menace, Lord Gareth Dragonsbane, Paladin of Illmatir. Since then the town has began to grow and prosper. The have been rebuilding and expanding. In order to protect his people Lord Dragonsbane even built a Large Gate to the north along the borders of Vaasa.

The nice thing about this time of the year is the Festival that is thrown. Merchants and Villages from all over the surrounding area come here for the games, the food, and the music. It's really once of a kind.

This year that holds especially true. During the Feast of Myrtul someone attempted to poison Lord Dragonsbane. Many feared the worst, but under the watchful eye of Friar Dugald the poison is attempting to be nuetralized. Stepping up in his place is his wife Lady Dragonsbane, Requesting the help of anyone willing to help trackdown this assassin and bring him to justice for his crimes against the crown.

You all have heard about this from the wandering messangers around town, and have come to the center of town to read the posted bulletin.

All willing to assist In the capture
    Of this assassin and helping bring him
    to justice will be Rewarded Greatly.

Head to the North Gate and ask
    for Commander Diordin at
    12 noon on the 13th of Myrtul

Payment upon completion of
    500g each

As you read over the bulletin you realize that you have about 3 hours before you have to be there, and it's only a 45 minute walk to the north gate.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-10-15 at 11:22 AM.
    Never come between a Dwarf and his Ale
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

Awesome Runic Dwarf Avatar by Bayar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Old School 3.5 IC Thread

Aggro

The stocky halfling strode through town. Yes. Despite the fact that his legs were less than fourteen inches long, he nonetheless managed to convey "stride" in his walk.

The axes helped. All of the axes helped.

He found a way to smile in a way that approximated "friendly" to the townsfolk gathering for the festivities. No point in unsettling the marks.

He joined a small group reading the notice in the centre of town, scowling as he read.

An assassin-hunt, eh? Well. Maybe he could help with that. Send a thief...all that crap.

Aggro backed off from the notice, curious to see who else would be drawn to such an opportunity. He settled in next to a rain-barrel at the edge of the central square to watch for other exotic-looking folk.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Theo Ciderbottom
    The stout, plump, and short halfling cleric was dancing around with a slice of brambleberry pie in one hand and a mug of apple cider in the other. He was wearing a brown ankle length tunic. Around his waist was a faded rope belt holding a large flail for such a small being.

The bulletin on the wall caught his attention. Ooooo. That darned assassin trying to kill the good lord of the Village, and even during the festival, filled with all of it's jolly. Why, if i got my hands on him I would wring his throat. Afterwords, he shoved some more blue-ish purple pie into his mouth, and washed it down with cider.
    Last edited by drum-n-bass; 2008-10-15 at 05:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Leon

Having arrived in Bloodstone the previous night, Leon had already learned of the poisoning, but was not sure where to start in finding out what was wrong.

Hearing of the messages and the posted reward, he reads the note and heads towards the North gate. Armored only in leather and carrying a large club, he draws little attention, most dismissing him as an inexperienced tough or cheap guard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hajari

Hajari didn’t get into the crowd, as a thief himself, he knew exactly what too many people too close to him could mean, and at the moment, he had gold in his pocket, and didn’t need to take advantage of that himself. Although if the right mark presented itself...
    The poster was interesting enough,
    Assassin, huh? Well, taking their property is one thing, but I can’t say this kind of theft is something I really approve of. My old lady and me bro and sis should sure use their take of that 500 GP. I can’t say I really like reporting to someone called “commander” though, not that I’ve done anything wrong in this city, yet. Well, better make sure I act all well behaved like, not look like I’m up to nothing. This job might be work out though. Hajari concluded his thoughts out loud.
    “Well that’s that then. Better make sure I’m at that north gate, all promptly like.” He grimaced, “I need to stop doin— Well damn it!”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

The sergent had sent message for himo to meet him for lunch. Himo had heard there was some commotion at the festivities, but didn't know it was an assasination attempt. Word had come to the militia to send out one of their best me and investigate, and the hunt for the assasin was the perfect place to start

better go after them himo thinks to himself see who employs them.... and 500 gold is never to be sniffed at and heads to the north gate
    Last edited by xPANCAKEx; 2008-10-16 at 05:11 PM.
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aggro

Huh. A shady looking bunch being attracted by that notice. For all I know, the assassin himself - or herself - will answer the call, to throw attention off themselves. Gotta be careful.

Having seen enough, Aggro selects an indirect route to the north gate.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #8

Bloodstone Village

As you are sitting around watching the notice, there are quite a few people that come and check it out. Quite a few of them halflings. It seems that the festival is still going on, so there isn't that many people paying attention to this area as they are to busy drinking and partying.

Vaasan Gate

As you arrive at the Vaasan Gate, there is only a few other people visable, almost all of them are guards. The gate itself towers above the landscape. It stands almost 50 feet tall, and quite possibly 200 feet long. Some guards line the top of the gate, not as many as you would figure. There are tall imposing doors in the center of the gate, and a set of doors just on the inside leading into the gate itself.

As you approach you notice a guard standing at the doors and he greets you warmly as you approach and let's you know that it will be just a little while before the meeting. He then shows you into a small waiting room and tells you that you may wait here.

Spoiler
    Show

im holding off, i will do a whole huge posting on monday. trying to let everyone get in posting. who ever doesn't post by monday will be removed from the group (that's why i took a large group) and at that point, posting requirements will begin.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-10-17 at 10:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Arylex Silverside

Lex strolls around the Festival in the city he knew well -- well, at least the more interesting or posh areas. His lack of coin prevented him into the latter, but he had no qualms about partying with the peasants. He takes enough time to take note of the bulletin, especially the payment part, before re-joining the revelry.

The elf-in-rags prances and drinks as he meanders his ways to the north gate. At five before noon, he strolls into sight of the gate's guards. He offers a half full mug to the guard that greets him, keeping the full mug in his other hand to himself. He says with a smile and a bow, "Lex -- at your service."
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-10-24 at 08:17 PM. Reason: color change

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

10. - Top - End - #10

Vasaa Gate

Arriving at the gate you are shown into a small waiting room. Fifteen minutes after noon a large man comes walking out of an ajoining room. Dressed in full plate armor with a sword at his side he looks at everyone who "signed up" for this mission. Motioning towards everyone that is sitting here he simply states "Come into this room here, and have a seat around the table."

Upon doing so, he sits down at the head of the table and only adds "Please tell me about yourself so I know what I am working with here."

Spoiler
    Show

sorry, i didn't go near a computer yesterday, found out that my wife and I will be having our first baby. so I was slightly excited...
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

the names Himo Nailo - i work in the dock merchants quarter with the militia, keeping the peace. My sergent sent me on over this way, said you were lookin to get a band together to go after whoever poisoned his Lordship Dragonbane

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Leon
    Sitting down, Leon leans his greatclub against the seat, keeping a hand on/near it to stabilize it. (He'll pick it up when he leaves)

With a bit of pride, he introduces himself, "I am Leon, a Paladin of Torm."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Arylex Silverside

"Lex is the name, and adventuring's the game," he says, trying to sound professional. He takes a sip from his mug and spills a little bit of cheap mead on his plain brown tunic. He tries to save face by wiping it off with his hands and saying with a blush, "I can be... uh... quite persuasive when I really need to, being an enchanter and all."
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-10-24 at 08:17 PM. Reason: color change

14. - Top - End - #14

Theo Ciderbottom

Wiping his blue face on his brown tunic, Theo waltzes in to the meeting somewhat late and sits down. After giving a loud belch, he replies to the mans question I am Theo Ciderbottom of the Halfling clan outside the city. I am a cleric of Urogalan halfling god of death and the earth. I want to find the assassin, give him a piece of my mind then wring his throat. afterwards he drinks some more of his cider he brought with him.

15. - Top - End - #15

Vaasa Gate

Commander Diordin sits there for a few seconds before finally responding to all the introductions. Wow, I would have figured the attempted assination of Lord Dragonsbane would have brought out more people. Well no time like the present to get down to business.

What we know is that the assassin is from the Green Talon. It was a sect of half-orcs that Zhygi used to train himself and used them for stealth and covert missions. During the last war they were belived to have been wiped out by the group that destroyed the Witch King himself. Although we never found there hideout as we were more focused on what was really going on, they have not been seen since. Until Now.

With them making a comeback and an attempt upon Lord Dragonsbane that could only mean someone is paying them a large amount of money to get him out of the way. My main concern would first be that no one has resurected the Witch King, however slim the chance that that could have happened, it is still always a possibility.

What I would like you to do is travel out towards the ruins of Castle Perilous and verify that no one has began using it as a base of operations. Make sure you bring proper preperations we are still at the tail end of winter, so at night out there on the plains the temperature drops well below -40.

As stated if you can bring the killer to justice you will be rewarded 500g. Just for coming and volunteering to scout the ruins you will each receive 50g. You will also be paid bounties on the creatures that you encounter, if they were servants of the Witch King.

Goblins - 1g
    Orcs/Half Orcs 3g
    Ogres 10g
    Trolls 25g
    Giants 50-100g

this is per right ear that you collect. You will report here at the north gate SOLEY to me.

Any questions?
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

"Sounds straight forward" muses the elf, "So how far is the journey to the ruins, and what transport is available to us? Im not looking forward to a night on the open planes, so would be best to spend as little time in the open as possible"

17. - Top - End - #17

Vaasa Gate

The commander just laughs at the questions asked. After a few moments he finally manages up an answer. Well, I would assume it will take you about 5-8 days to get to the ruins, depending on your pace. As far as modes of transportation, your sitting on it. Your own two feet are the only thing that will possibly get you across the ice of Vaasa, most animals will simply break there legs if they try to walk across that stuff. I would suggest buying supplies to get you through it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Lex

Lex's face drops as he sticks his hand into his pocket. Still getting used to paying for things with a limited bankroll, he looks unsure that his four gold pieces are enough to buy the necessary supplies.

"Uh... perhaps an advance on that 500 gp is in order? For supplies, of course. I mean -- it would be a shame to waste time sending us out there only to find out a week or two later that we froze to death out there on the first day, right?" He tries to give a convincing, but weak, smile.

((If you need it, Diplomacy is at -1.))
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-10-24 at 08:18 PM. Reason: color change

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Leon
    "I agree with the others. We will need proper supplies to get through this. Are we to pay for them from the advance, or do you have some that we can use?

Also, do you have a map? And a way to identify ourselves to any patrols we may encounter, so that they do not think that we are a part of the problem?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Vaasa Gate

The commander thinks hard about the questions being asked to him, finally coming up with a response. I do believe we may be able to allow somewhat of an advance for the procurement of supples. I believe 25 gold should do for each of you.

As far as a map you should be able to purchase one at the local general store. Patrols? Well you won't run into any out there that are. You may run into other Adventurer's that are on the look out for richest, but no patrols in that wasteland.

Oh, and if you freeze to death, I guess we will just have to find more volunteer's willing to assist the Lord, and make a name for themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aggro

The gruff-voiced halfling nods.

Right. I'm in. Gimme the twenty five gold. I'll be back in an hour, ready to move out. Right?

He glances around at his fellow recruits for confirmation.

22. - Top - End - #22

Vaasan Gate

Commander Diordin tilts his head and looks over towards the small halfling that just spoke. And you are? I don't beleive we got the pleasure of your introduction. I'm suprised i didn't see you sneak in here with the rest, I'm normally good at that.
    Last edited by stupnick; 2008-10-23 at 10:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aggro

The halfling smiles. It doesn't make him seem friendlier.

I'm usually okay at making sure I don't get noticed. Aggro. People that like me call me "The Axe".

The six axes strapped to his chest and belt make further comment seem redundant.

So. Crazed half orc assassin. Trolls, goblins. Freezing to death. Possible rise of the forces of the Witch King. Collect right ears. Got it. Anything else?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

"i think you have it exact, hafling... but can i suggest that any of us foolish enough to volunteer for this all pool our resources and purchase some sort of shelter such as a few tents. The idea of freezing to death sounds less than appealing"

25. - Top - End - #25

Vaasan Gate

Well if there are no more questions, then I believe you should head out and get going. Give this to Palon, the store owner at the "Stuffed Sack" general store, He will set you up with what ever you shall need, or cash them out if you want the gold. The guard says as he throws down some small slips of paper. No writting visable other than a single signiture burned into it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Made by Arokh

Character Sheets
    Spoiler
    Show

Arzeal
    Shylain
    Halia
    Krannin

Arena Characters
    Cyn
    Fannir

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aggro

Aggro snatches up a slip, as if fearful that one of the others might grab them all. He grimaces at the others. He focuses on Himo and attempts a smile.

Right. See you back here in a bit, then? No way I can carry a tent, but I'd squeeze into a corner of yours, if there's room.

Not quite waiting for a response, the halfling is off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Buying cold weather clothing and a lot more food - another 18 days' worth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

thurning to his new travelling companions, the elf says "if you can all split the burden of the cost and carrying the wood, i will purchase us the tent to shelter in"

28. - Top - End - #28

Snatching up a slip of paper, he finds himself dazed about how he accepted an offer to trek through the ice. I would very much appreciate it if you would let me sleep in your tent, I will carry some wood and i can heal you if you get hurt. the halfling says to the elf. I think i will need to buy some shoes for once or my feet will freeze off.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Himo

"haha... you'd run the risk of getting even smaller" jokes the elf as he takes a slip of paper, holding it up to the light to look through the burned signiture

"if you'd care to accompany me i'll be heading over to the stuffed sack to stock up on a few things"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Lex

Lex grabs his voucher and calls out to Himo and Theo -- "Hold up! I'll join you guys. I... uh... might need some help buying the right things."

At the store, he'll buy:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]Item|Price
    Cold Weather Gear|5
    Crampons|2
    Firewood & tent share|8
    Rations (20 days)|10
    Backpack|2
    Bedroll|.1
    Winter Blanket|.5
    Waterskin|1
    Total|28.6
    [/table]

He looks at his change -- a mere 4 silver pieces -- and frowns. He scowls even more at the weight of his newly filled backpack. "This better be worth it..."
    Last edited by KingRexII; 2008-10-24 at 08:19 PM. Reason: color change