Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

furious Erfworld 127 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 115

New comic is up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 127 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 115

Invisible Hex-barrier where Jillian crashes against? Nice effect! :)

And: looks like the dragons did not go down that easy!
    Deorum offensae diis curae.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Why so angry, my man?

EDIT: Heh. Hex-barrier. Nice touch.

Also: veils can't make it past the hex they are cast in?
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2008-10-15 at 11:59 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Tool took his time working out that Jack was- in fact- called Jack. Like the foolamancy smarts of disguising Stanley's dwagon as a cloud of doombats...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

biggrin Re: Erfworld 127 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 115

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Why so angry, my man?
    I dunno, the Giant puts little smilies on every comic thread he makes. I wanted to be like him </3

Looks like the Tool knows about Jack now. That *can't* be good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

WoA... that was cool... erfworld slowly becomes my main reson for visiting this site, overtaking oots... (although thats probably mostly because the endless filler on oots gets boring)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So a barrier, for the hex border, what does it all stop? And why did tool abandon the dwagons? I think the dwagon roost theory may be all to right...
    And I guess tool's dwagon didn't actually go down that hard.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

so, big bad dwagon didn't croaked that easily after all.
    And Jack did cast immediately he got back on his senses.

edit: re-reading last strip i found funny how many times Jillian yelled 'Jack'
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 2008-10-15 at 12:09 PM.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

YES! So, one new rule is exposed: in your turn you can leave a battle by moving through the hex, while others can't - because it's not their turn!
    One-new-rule-dance!

Now, to put that illusion, Jack must be VERY good at his magic field. He actually created the illusion of himself casting an illusion!
    Last edited by Laurentio II; 2008-10-15 at 12:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Hey! People with a sense of direction: Julian just said the Tool was heading east. Is that towards FAQ (as the Tool wants) or is that towards Knob (as Parson wants)? Trying to see who Jack is obeying...

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    So a barrier, for the hex border, what does it all stop? And why did tool abandon the dwagons? I think the dwagon roost theory may be all to right...
    And I guess tool's dwagon didn't actually go down that hard.
    It stops units with no move, or units who can't move out of the hex because it's not their turn (like Jillian). It looks like it may also break certain veils.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

very nice. I like it.
    tot am strand - chanson punk from the old world

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

So much for the dwagon going down easy. It must have survived the stabbity or Jillian would have noticed the difference (like Vinny's arm going through the fake dwagon).

Let's see here.... we now know that croaked fliers fall, and that Caesar survived (though scorched).

Wow, so much of the discussion on the last thread just got resolved in one swell foop.

Also, Jack is still calling Stanley 'Lord' instead of 'Tool'. Seems like he didn;t get the memo. Maggie did though. Whatcha wanna bet that she was hte dominant personality in the link? Either by the nature of a link or by her own selfish nature...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    So, one new rule is exposed: in your turn you can leave a battle by moving through the hex, while others can't - because it's not their turn!
    Didn't we know that already? How else could one 'punch through' an occupied hex?
    Last edited by fendrin; 2008-10-15 at 12:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Is things that bad?? Why the tool ditched his entire deck. I though tool was a good tactician.

Or is all of the dragon veiled too.

I wonder does Jillian's smooshed mount took any damage for ramming the barrier.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    And why did tool abandon the dwagons?
    Because waiting for the whole unit to catch up, would take longer. By ditching them, and letting them hold up the enemy, it gave him an ever greater chance to escape the Hex... which he did.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

I was under the distinct impression that Faq was west of Gobwin Knob, though I can't recall any specific proof. Ergo, Stanley's abandoning the cut-off path to Faq and headed back to Gobwin Knob-perhaps he or Jack is wising up to Parson's mad skillz.
    The DM has spoken.

You failed your Will save to resist.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I wonder if any other dragons did or will make it through. The main focus was on Stanley, after all. Some certainly did go down, but conceivably not all of them.

Also interesting that saying 'Jack' via thinkagram didn't do the job, though some of his comments suggested some degree of improvement, possibly. There are a few possible explanations for that not working: thinkagram insufficiently direct, and having no clue who Parson is, and Parson speaking tentatively.

Also, Vinny is again the most observant one around. In a fair world, he'd go far.
    Last edited by drachefly; 2008-10-15 at 12:17 PM. Reason: I can spell.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramien View Post
    It stops units with no move, or units who can't move out of the hex because it's not their turn (like Jillian). It looks like it may also break certain veils.
    My opinion: Jack didn't cast an illusion on himself (or Stanley), but casted a Distraction: the whole red Dwagon fight, the Stanley levitation and himself casting an invisibility veil. We know that he is a master in this, isn't?
    The moment he left the hex, the Distraction is undone by the fact that the caster is no more present in the spell effect hex.

Or, Rule of Cool. Dwagons morphing through invisible barrier is 8.6 on Cool-Meter!
    Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Didn't we know that already? How else could one 'punch through' an occupied hex?
    Don't underestimate the power of a conclusive proof for people that write rulesystems. There could be many rules on leaving a fight, all different from "You leave the battle field".
    To say just a few, maybe you need a dice throw, or stay near the field limit for a fixed or random time before ending the fight (Final Fantasy, for example), or that you have to be faster that opponents, or you must take one full round of attacks, and that you are out no matter your speed.
    Many, many different systems.

Mind that this rule is usable as a game breaker if enemies are defending near an hex's wall. You can enter, break immediately, heal in your hex (supposing you have healers), and attack again.
    Last edited by Laurentio II; 2008-10-15 at 12:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html

Due west is what Stanley says so.... you take it for what thats worth

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

This still raises questions does it stop non-units? Like say pigions. Does it stop big flying rocks, or arrows? I assume so. It doesn't stop light perhaps that could be abused somehow. Does it recognize Parson as haveing a certain amount of move? That would find another stat for Parson, or would it be infinite, or 0? There are still many questions about that border...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Also, Jack is still calling Stanley 'Lord' instead of 'Tool'. Seems like he didn;t get the memo. Maggie did though. Whatcha wanna bet that she was hte dominant personality in the link? Either by the nature of a link or by her own selfish nature...
    Maggie was the Thinkamancer, therefore, the dominant personality. The others only lent their magical abilities to the link as long as it was active.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

It looks nearly like a retcon, by I'm happy that Stanley's personal Dwagon isn't as fragile as it appeared in the previous strip.

In other, more disappointing news, the Transylvito warlady with the red shirt is still alive.
    Last edited by Gez; 2008-10-15 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The DM View Post
    I was under the distinct impression that Faq was west of Gobwin Knob, though I can't recall any specific proof. Ergo, Stanley's abandoning the cut-off path to Faq and headed back to Gobwin Knob-perhaps he or Jack is wising up to Parson's mad skillz.
    Stanley still thinks Parson is a moron and hasn't been in contact with him since leaving his old capital. If he's heading back to Knob, it's because of Jack (at least partly) believing in Parson.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading that strip, I'm left wondering what Jack's agenda was -- or maybe even is. How appropriate that an episode featuring a foolamancer reminds me of G'kar's observation that, "No one here is exactly as they seem."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pebot View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html

Due west is what Stanley says so.... you take it for what thats worth
    LOL... Tool is gonna be soooooooo pissed. If more dragons survived the encounter, so will Charlie too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    Reading that strip, I'm left wondering what Jack's agenda was -- or maybe even is. How appropriate that an episode featuring a foolamancer reminds me of G'kar's observation that, "No one here is exactly as they seem."

I think you're reading too much into it... Jack is obeying orders: Tool wanted to stay alive, Parson wants the Tool back at Knob.
    Last edited by Nargrakhan; 2008-10-15 at 12:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Damn, that was a crafty bit of Foolamancy on Jack's part. Creating an illusion of the mount dying and him and Stanley escaping.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Noeru View Post
    Is things that bad?? Why the tool ditched his entire deck. I though tool was a good tactician.
    You can say about Stanley what you wan't: He still got some nasty tricks up his sleeve. That kind of veil was just brilliant!

I'm sure he wouldn't abandon his stack so frivolously, if he wouldn't have a plan. Maybe there are some units in FAQ, that he can use immediatelly, once he gets there. Or FAQ has some defence the Alliance can't take with only their flying units. We shall see! Soon!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    I think you're reading too much into it... Jack is obeying orders.
    That doesn't answer the question of how and why Jack came to be working for Stanley in the first place, or what made him agree to the link that's left him as he is -- or appears to be.

29. - Top - End - #29

Now I realize that after the Tool beats Caesar, there was indeed an unengaged bat swarm just by the side of the dwagon! The whole fight of comic 126 was an illusion! Notice the dwagon now doesn't even have the armor crunched like in 126.

It probably works like in Warcraft III-dota, where illusions have a life of their own and still deal a fraction of the damage of the original unit. It doesn't only fool the eyes, but also feel and sound and everything else, so Jillian indeed tought she was stabing something.

Just like I predicted. Jack didn't want to fight Jillian, so he used his powers to stop their engagement.

As for the illusion ending when they exited the hex, it was probably because there was no use to keep it going, and it probably would drain

Now the big question is: how much of the dwagons fighting in the hex are nothing more than illusions and the bulk of the force actually sneaked out just under Jillian and Vinnie's eyes?

EDIT: I LOVE the look on that red dwagon's face as he exits the hex, as in:
    Foolish human girl, you tought you had any chance against me?
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-10-15 at 12:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_saveloy View Post
    You can say about Stanley what you wan't: He still got some nasty tricks up his sleeve. That kind of veil was just brilliant!

I'm sure Jack came up with that veil, rather than Stanley. Julian mentions he's VERY skilled at them.

Also... how is abandoning his stack, a bad tactical move on Stanley's part, given the situation. It got the result he wanted: escape from the hex. That's called a success.

People can come up with all sorts of "what if's" for Stanley to stay and the stack and escape... but it doesn't change the fact, that staying longer in the hex was VERY dangerous for the Tool. Sooner he got out of it, the better off he was.