New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 127 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 115

I also just got that Stanley being sure of taking the foolamancer wasn't just a way to bring his dwagons along veiled. It also gave him the means to keep Faq hidden the same way it used to be.

I suppose that's obvious, but it has two interesting implications. One, a knowledge of Faq's circumstances before it fell. Two, Stanley really does have the makings of a good commander, if he didn't think he were fated to win and hadn't picked fights he didn't need to.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

We assumed Jack was good, but he is real good. And that the cute l'il monster dwagon survied is a big bonus
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Saladman View Post
    Jack didn't snap out of it until he saw Jillian, after we saw the dwagons already engaged. (Page 113.) It's conceivable that Jack had the juice, the action points, and the presence of mind to veil and extract the toughest engaged dwagons, but I don't consider it likely.
    See what I see...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0122.html

Jack had already been working properly for some time, since Hamster called him.

Rebuilding a ruined city doesn't imply waiting neutral units to me. FAQ had an heir, so it wouldn't go neutral at the death of its ruler like Gobwin Knob is expected to. And I'm not sure about the fat defense bonus, beyond what we already know about city defense from Gobwin Knob. A tunnel zone, walls and an air zone, all of which have to be controlled by the defender to protect the inner garrison.
    Jillian is a barbarian(no side), so I don't really believe that there are still any units loyal to her. Stanley didn't become a barbarian just because he was out of town.

Stanley's plan in its ideal form relied on his enemies not knowing there was a ruined capital city site there, so he was probably counting on ordering some units popped to properly garrison it. Now that his destination's been made, if he knows its been made, he'll have to alter the plan

I also wonder what Stanley will do when he realizes his side hasn't fallen yet. I think Gobwin Knob has to fall before Stanley can start a new side. And Stanley clearly expected them to fall, he wasn't sure if Parson et al were traitors or just hopelessly incompetent. So I picture him tapping his watch if he had one, checking the time and the turn date, wondering what's taking so long.
    I noticed now he exited by the east side(Gobwin's knob direction), and knowing his plan to build a new city, he probably will decide to contact Maggie and, seeing that Hamster is pwning the coalition, decide to go back.

On the other hand, FAQ seemed to be composed of several cities, so Stanley could hide in one of them and use Jack to make it look just like another ruin, allowing him to slowly rebuild his forces even if the vampires went looking for him. Start a guerrilla.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-10-15 at 01:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Not even close. Turn order goes:

Dawn
    TV
    Charlie
    GK
    Coalition
    Dusk

And it is still GK turn, so there are some things that can happen between now and TV's next turn. Also, TV has no lookamancer in the field, so it is unlikely that they know where the hell Stanley is, unless he makes it back to GK, in which case, Ansom is so screwed.
    Sigh... yes, thanks.
    As I was saying, it will be Transylvito turn before Stanley can move again, and it's bad for him.

About Stanley getting back to GW, it's possible, especially if he flies over the Coalition scouts, but he will be hardly back before Ansom attack the walls.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    Stanely wants to go west, so he can reach Faq. East takes him back to Knob. We know Parson told Jack, to find a means in getting the Tool to go back to Knob. If Stanley is heading to Knob (which I think he is), its because Jack is following Parson's most recent orders. I think its safe to assume the Tool wanted to punch through TOWARDS Faq, not away from it. Seeing as how Parson and the Tool have conflicting orders – or at least intentions – I wonder if units obey commands like real military soldiers are supposed to: last given.
    While Faq is apparently west of GK, it's also pretty certain (from Jillian's earlier comments) that Stanley's route to Faq wasn't the most direct. It's also been suggested in this forum that the pass that Stanley is using to enter Faq may be on the far side of it from GK. If that's the case, then going east will take Stanley closer to Faq, also taking him physically closer to, but practically farther from, GK.

Having to go around Faq to reach the pass might help to explain how Jillian was able to get there ahead of him, despite having slower mounts.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It looks nearly like a retcon, by I'm happy that Stanley's personal Dwagon isn't as fragile as it appeared in the previous strip.

In other, more disappointing news, the Transylvito warlady with the red shirt is still alive.
    How almost like a retcon? Jack's ability to cast distractions and his status as a master foolamancer have been mentioned/alluded to on many occasions. To get the page up so fast it had to have been worked on right after the last was posted, i dont think it was made in response to comments on the forums.

also, Jack is Titany... that is all.
    Last edited by MattR; 2008-10-15 at 01:49 PM.
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.

''Never argue with idiots, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.''

''Common sense is very uncommon.''

''It ain't sin if you crack a few laws now and then, just so long as you don't break any.''

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Clever, wonder who came up with this plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

8. - Top - End - #68

WolfInSheepsClothing

The main thing that comes to mind when reading this one is...

"Jack is that good, and Stanley thought the best place for him is operating a friggin' hologram table? GAH!"
    "GMs wear many hats. They are referee, administrator, actor, author, and storyteller, and all of this without a paycheck. Anyone who doesn't appreciate what their GM does for them has no soul."
    --Anonymous, but appears in the L5R GM's Survival Guide

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

However, the hologram table is not the only thing the linked Eyemancers can do. They also created the eyebooks, and they give the Gobwin Knob unmatched intelligence. And it wouldn't be possible without a foolamancer.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

mind-blowing!
    i'm one of those who were quite disappointed about the dragon's swift death in page 113. to see a griffon being able to deliver a bite that devastating to the massively armored neck of a dragon that huge - what a hard pill to swallow!
    and now when you look at page 113 again, there's always that swarm of bats around Jillian & Stanley.
    brilliant! thank you Sirs!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

It seems the Tool is at least doing, what Parson is hoping he would do. He didn't end his turn to early.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    See what I see...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0122.html

Jack had already been working properly for some time, since Hamster called him.
    Or he was still nuts but not catatonic, so able to make a spot check. Its possible, I guess, but why fake it so well with Parson, and what was the "Compos" effect when Jillian called his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Jillian is a barbarian(no side), so I don't really believe that there are still any units loyal to her. Stanley didn't become a barbarian just because he was out of town.
    Uh... maybe I'm not being as clear as I am in my own head. Its been established on page that Jillian was Faq's heir before she went barbarian. If Faq hadn't been destroyed she wouldn't have gone barbarian. And I don't see how you have neutral units left hanging out in a destroyed city. The only way we have established to have neutral units in a city is for the sovereign to croak without an heir and the city to go neutral.

I didn't mean that there were loose units loyal to Jillian still. My only point was that I didn't see how there could be any loose neutral units for Stanley to pick up on rebuilding the city.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

"Compos" as in "Non compos mentis," the legal term meaning "too crazy to be accountable for their actions or stand trial."
    That was definitively the moment when Jack regained sanity.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

my guess is that the veil/distraction/whatever was cast in page 114, just after the dragon let loose its breath weapon..that's few moments after Jack reckognized Jillian, and the first time that the dragon-shaped cloud of bats can be seen. That would probably mean gg for all the other dragons, even if technically i guess that Stanley could be waiting for any lucky survivors just after the hex barrier, mocking Transvito/Jillian in the process :)

awesome page, btw

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stanley won't be discomfited when he finds that he isn't a barbarian in the next turn; at worst, it would likely mean that he has access to whatever funds he was forced to leave behind in GK.

Even if Stanley can't make it to a Faq city in this turn, he still has Jack to cast veils. And don't forget that Caesar wasn't happy to learn of Jack's existence; Vinnie allayed his worries (partially) by pointing out that there was a bottleneck hex so that the combined senses of all the warlords could focus on it. Now the alliance forces will have to do a hex-by-hex search as they try to follow Stanley. They also lost bats and possibly several warlords to boot.

I think it likelier that Stanley, Jack, and whatever other units made it out alive are still heading to Faq. (And to those who think Jack either fooled or convinced Stanley into returning to GK, don't forget that it was Jack who pointed out to Parson that Stanley's presence, even with his dragons untouched, could be a liability to Parson.)

I love this! Also, I want to see Faq rebuild itself by magic when Stanley's next turn arrives, assuming he makes it there. (Of course, it'll be a while yet...)
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-10-15 at 04:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome page.

Given Jack can't cast veils from another hex, he probably can't cast distractions from afar either, so it looks like Stanley has left at least some of his dragons in the Translyvito Hex (they're still seen in the final panel after Jack's left the hex).

The East / West thing is interesting, either way Stanley's probably not going to risk going bast the vamps again, so if Jack has managed to turn him around he'll head back to Gobwin Knob (maybe in time to help Parson out with Charlie s units in a turn? [or maybe bumping into them on their way back to Charlie with Parson in tow?] or just after Parson has routed the Coalition, leading to another "great plan Tool!" moment :P). Given that this bit of the Erfworld story seems to be drawing to a close, it seems like a quicker way of wrapping things up than having Stanley actually getting to Faq.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I just noticed that Jillian dumped the wig.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-15 at 02:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Very nice. I was worried it was a retcon but reading the comments about the bat cloud in 126 changed my mind.

Also: casters are all disgustingly overpowered in Erfworld. Wanda, Sizemore and Jack have all proven themselves vital to GKs defense, whether by slaughtering entire stacks by themselves or getting the tool out of a nigh inscapable situation, i guess that's why there are so few of them though.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    Because waiting for the whole unit to catch up, would take longer. By ditching them, and letting them hold up the enemy, it gave him an ever greater chance to escape the Hex... which he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebot View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0096.html

Due west is what Stanley says so.... you take it for what thats worth
    Yeah I think Stanley is no longer interested in Faq since it's obviously no longer a secret hiding spot. He's either heading back to Gobwin Knob or he's got a plan C.

You know Stanley's motto, "But the thing about a quest for ultimate power in world is that it's bound to turn out well".

Or maybe Stanley also adheres to the philosophy of "If the plan does not plan for problems outside the plan, then it isn't a plan along."
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2008-10-15 at 02:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess the dwagon went hiding after it barbecued the gwiffons (Jillian was even covering her eyes then). I think Parson will like Jack.

The dwagons remaining in the hex are probably doomed, without a warlord they'll be forced to fight. Maybe the ones who finish their engagements can follow orders from the tool, but Caeser probably won't waste the chance to level the other warlords (he's probably too wounded to fight himself).

There is an added bonus. Jack knows the shortest way back to GK.

Stanley is safe now, because even if he can only move by something like 20 hex that's a huge area to cover for a searching party.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2008-10-15 at 02:42 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

21. - Top - End - #81

Or he was still nuts but not catatonic, so able to make a spot check.
    He didn't just make a spot check, he used some kind of magic to give enanched vision to Stanley, who was flying head on against the enemy whitout expecting it, thus saving his life, giving him time to make some dance preparation.

Its possible, I guess, but why fake it so well with Parson, and what was the "Compos" effect when Jillian called his name?
    I believe he just likes acting that way, just as Wanda likes dressing skimpy clothes and Sizemore likes being so humble and Maggie being so self controled. Do note that his quotes change of style after speaking with Hamster and he actually starts to make sense.

But then he sees Jillian, the woman he loves, and "compos", he drops "Joker" mode and proceeds to get a way to make sure she doesn't get smashed into pieces by Stanley. Just like any guy would get a change of mind if the one he loves is sudenly in danger just in front of him.

The background sound effects can indeed mean important things like spells and major effects, but they also can mean simple things, like pwned and orly.

Uh... maybe I'm not being as clear as I am in my own head. Its been established on page that Jillian was Faq's heir before she went barbarian. If Faq hadn't been destroyed she wouldn't have gone barbarian. And I don't see how you have neutral units left hanging out in a destroyed city. The only way we have established to have neutral units in a city is for the sovereign to croak without an heir and the city to go neutral.

I didn't mean that there were loose units loyal to Jillian still. My only point was that I didn't see how there could be any loose neutral units for Stanley to pick up on rebuilding the city.
    Well, my theory it's that just as Saline V had an alliance with the gobwins, maybe FAQ has some indigenous population, wich Stanley can get control off with some hammer "diplomacy".

Like some people said, it's possible that a large group of dwagons took nest in FAQ after destroying it, from wich Stanley took several to his army but left some wild to keep "breeding", and now he goes there to refill his numbers.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-10-15 at 02:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

I liked the comic. I also liked the fact that they can't leave the hex on the other sides turn.
    I'll make avatars if any one wants them.
    Cool comic
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
    Also: casters are all disgustingly overpowered in Erfworld. Wanda, Sizemore and Jack have all proven themselves vital to GKs defense, whether by slaughtering entire stacks by themselves or getting the tool out of a nigh inscapable situation, i guess that's why there are so few of them though.
    Wanda didn't fry Jillian's task force all by herself, she "fired off" most of GK's air defenses (whatever that means precisely).

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    The dwagons remaining in the hex are probably doomed, without a warlord they'll be forced to fight. Maybe the ones who finish their engagements can follow orders from the tool, but Caeser probably won't waste the chance to level the other warlords (he's probably too wounded to fight himself).

There is an added bonus. Jack knows the shortest way back to GK.
    Stacks with surviving KISS warlords (though we have no reason to believe there are any left) can still choose to not engage.

It's pretty clear to me ("But a wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from his friends.") that, at least initially, Jack thought that Stanley should not return to Faq. Could that have changed? Possibly, given Stanley's reduced numbers. But, overall, Stanley could have as much chance of surviving in the wild and with Jack's help than returning to GK, and Stanley certainly doesn't think that GK has any chance of surviving. He may not head for Faq, but what's left for him in GK?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicbunny View Post
    Pretty well crafted illusion if it was "solid enough" for Jillian and the Gwiffon to actually touch it, hang on to it and inflict damage on it without ever realizing that it wasn't the real dwagon.
    My take is that at that time the illusion was still overlaid on top of the real dwagon. Assuming that Jack's can't cast two spells at once, and that the bat veil and the fake dwagon aren't all part of the same spell, he first had to create the fake dwagon, and to prevent suspicion it would have to be directly on top of the real dragon (else there would suddenly be a second dragon for all to see, a dead giveaway). Next spell he cast was the veil on the dwagon, to swap it for a cloud of bats while the illusionary dwagon hid the implementation. Final spell was to veil himself and Stanley into bats, which was not noticed in the midst of all the other bats that formed the dwagon veil.

If that's the case, then the gwiffon really did bite the real dwagon, and Jillian really did stab the real dwagon, since it was underneath the illusion. They just didn't do nearly the damage they thought, which makes sense considering how ****ing badass that dwagon looks!!! Even if Jack could do the fake dwagon and the veil at the same it, it made sense to do it that way anyways to greatly increase the realism of the trick - hell, it fooled all of us!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Stacks with surviving KISS warlords (though we have no reason to believe there are any left) can still choose to not engage.
    The KISS knights aren't warlords AFAIK, they're just different kinds of units.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragn Charran View Post
    This is correct, unless Stanley promoted them 'off camera', which is unlikely.

Furthermore, Wanda's comment about 200 living men and the Stupid Meal counts imply that Stanley cannot promote non-humans to be warlords.

The existence of non-human warlords is confirmed by the existence of Tarfu.

I extrapolate from this that overlords may only promote warlords of their own race.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    They are not warlords, they are heavy infantry units.

We met all the warlords in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0027.html

28. - Top - End - #88

If that's the case, then the gwiffon really did bite the real dwagon, and Jillian really did stab the real dwagon, since it was underneath the illusion.
    Except that as the dwagon exits the hex his armor isn't half destroyed like we saw with the illusionary dragon.

29. - Top - End - #89

My mistake. I should have said that they may be "leaders" or have the leadership trait. If they are the best three among Stanley's elites, that may well be the case.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2008-10-15 at 03:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wonderful, wonderful. great continuity & resolution for the past several strips.

-Jillian is the one to make Jack "compos", by being the first to call him by name.
    -I agree with the comments: the last thing that dwagon did before the veil was barbecuing the gwiffon. That blinded everyone nearby and allowed the illusion to happen.

Bravo! Jack is so good, HE FOOLED ALL OF US!