New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 127 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 115

I was wondering what that cloud of bats in 114 was up to, it was definitely strange. It didn't occur to me that it might be a veiled dwagon, though.

So was Stanley right to run away? Or should he have taken advantage of surprise to hit Jillian or finish off Caesar? I guess Jack probably wouldn't have been happy with the former. As it is, though, Stanley will have no chance at all in a future engagement, especially if they manage to find him on their turn.

So is all of Erfworld a massive duel of subtleties between Jack and Wanda? She had the upper hand for a while, by getting him into that link, but now he has Stanley's ear.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ragn Charran View Post
    The KISS knights aren't warlords AFAIK, they're just different kinds of units.
    Points of interest.

1. Readers were happy or disappointed with the last scene, but there was not even speculation that it was faked. There is the genius. The best distraction is one that is not even questioned.

2. Since 114 panel 3 never happened, it shows that Jack knew about the nut thing, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to make the illusion.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    In other, more disappointing news, the Transylvito warlady with the red shirt is still alive.
    Uh, how is that disappointing? She hasn't had any lines or actions that would get on anyone's nerves.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Stacks with surviving KISS warlords (though we have no reason to believe there are any left) can still choose to not engage.
    Not warlords, as Stanley's only current warlord is Parson.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Hey, I just noticed that Jillian dumped the wig.
    Heh, that fell off in 114. Didn't notice until you pointed it out. I love the details in this comic.

I guess Stanley is heading back to Gobwin Knob now, given he can't get to Faq without flying back through the ambush hex (and much of his original plan for Faq must have relied on secrecy anyway).

I suppose Jack will pass on Parsons message?
    Last edited by SteveD; 2008-10-15 at 03:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    I love this! Also, I want to see Faq rebuild itself by magic when Stanley's next turn arrives
    I wouldn't get too excited. It's probably a similar effect to personal hygiene and ration distribution: a *pop* and a flash of light, and it's done.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Uh, how is that disappointing? She hasn't had any lines or actions that would get on anyone's nerves.
    I suppose because it fails to adhere to The Holy Trope(tm), which as this entire board knows is what makes a story unutterably fabulous.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Not warlords, as Stanley's only current warlord is Parson.
    True, Stanley only presents Parson to five warlords at the start. Most, if not all, were lost in the fracas over the lake. I misspoke: maybe the Knights have the leadership trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited. It's probably a similar effect to personal hygiene and ration distribution: a *pop* and a flash of light, and it's done.
    Bummer. You're probably right.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    I suppose because it fails to adhere to The Holy Trope(tm), which as this entire board knows is what makes a story unutterably fabulous.
    What's the Holy Trope thing you're talking about?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    What's the Holy Trope thing you're talking about?
    Star Trek, the guys with redshirts used to get croaked a lot. Haven't you noticed one of those in the list of GK warlords?
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Except that as the dwagon exits the hex his armor isn't half destroyed like we saw with the illusionary dragon.
    Like I said, they didn't really do that much damage, and given the insane armour on that dwagon that would make sense. Hence the dwagon leaving the hex has no apparent significant damage despite taking a hit from the much weaker gwiffon and a hit from Jillian in a place not really visible in that frame (the underbelly).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Star Trek, the guys with redshirts used to get croaked a lot. Haven't you noticed one of those in the list of GK warlords?
    Ensign Redshirt, you mean? I thought you had to be named Ensign to fall into that trope.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Stanley can't promote Gobwins to warlords because they are not part of his tribe, they are just allies.

Just a idea: Dwagon-warlords
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Jill and Vinnie are lucky the Tool didn't just waited for at the border of the hex to croak them and then skedaddle to safety before the rest would have caught up (who had just received the order to fan out and many could still been seen fighting heavily with the remaining dwagons).

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

[QUOTE=DevilDan;5111795]True, Stanley only presents Parson to five warlords at the start. Most, if not all, were lost in the fracas over the lake. I misspoke: maybe the Knights have the leadership trait.

I think only 3 of the warlords were used in the raid and in the following fight over the lake.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Ensign Redshirt, you mean? I thought you had to be named Ensign to fall into that trope.
    I dub her "Ensignora Redshirt".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MythicFox View Post
    The main thing that comes to mind when reading this one is...

"Jack is that good, and Stanley thought the best place for him is operating a friggin' hologram table? GAH!"
    Well, yes, because with that, it gives Wanda the ability to make strategy, and the Tool the ability to watch Wanda. Also, Eyebooks. Later, it gives Parson the ability to make Dragon Donuts. XD Given the limitation on veils, and since Gobwin Knob is only one volcano, re-purposing Jack until needed is a very shrewd use of his Foolamancy. Once Stanley totaled FAQ, which has very little strategic value all in all, I'm guessing he took all the casters with him. Wanda escaped the Mindmeld by either proving herself on other grounds, or swearing loyalty, having a Loyalty spell cast on her, willing betrayal, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by docstrange View Post
    Vravo! Jack is so good, HE FOOLED ALL OF US!
    In order to fool your enemies, first you must fool your Forum-ers. XD

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    2. Since 114 panel 3 never happened, it shows that Jack knew about the nut thing, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to make the illusion.
    My guess is that the distraction also used a bit of ventriloquism to throw their voices. There is no reason for Stanley to reveal that little quirk to Jack, nor would Jack ever find that out, as he was a Hologram Table Leg at that point.

Ok, enough quoting. OMFG, Jack is the most awesome Foolamancer EVER! And Vinny, you get points for trying, from your assistance in discovering the veil. Jillian, you LOSE coolness points for being psyched out so hard.

My two cents on the last panel: Either Jillian ran out of time on her bonus Ambush rounds/move, or it's like everyone thinks, and there was a hex border that she couldn't cross, as it was not her turn, or some combination of the two. From the looks of the Bloopers thread, there'll be a book out, which BOOP WELL BETTER include the rules of Erfworld. I'm just saying.

Panel 5: It took me a minute to figure out the fake dragon was wrapped around a tree.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0126.html

Bats first appear in Panel 3. The swarm is clearly dragon-shaped in Panels 6, 8 and 9.

My guess: Veil is cast immediately after the dragon attacks.

Jack is a master of distraction, he made an entire flight of bats appear right in front of Jillian without her noticing.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post

My guess is that the distraction also used a bit of ventriloquism to throw their voices. There is no reason for Stanley to reveal that little quirk to Jack, nor would Jack ever find that out, as he was a Hologram Table Leg at that point.
    Ventriloquism or not, Jack must have known about it or he couldn't have used made utterance about it either.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

So, one little bit of wild, unsupported theory: Could FAQ's predictamancer have made some momentous prophecy, which somehow requires both Jillian and Stanley in order to come to pass. I'm not sure what I'm basing this off, other than Wanda and Jack's strong loyalty to a jerkass like Stanley, and Wanda yet being concerned with keeping Jillian alive.

Just a thought. There is clearly something going on that we're not aware of yet.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

21. - Top - End - #111

Ventriloquism or not, Jack must have known about it or he couldn't have used made utterance about it either.
    I think that was his point; Jack couldn't have made up the walnut bit, so Stanley must have actually done it, and Jack just changed the apparent position.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Love the red dwagon's expression.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Perhaps illusions have a life score like everybody else and when it gets destroyed it slowly dissipates.
    Or you can stick your hand through an illusion if you say "I disbelieve", or there's a "will save" or "perception test" or something similar and Vinnie made his while Jillian failed hers (quite likely for perception IMAO). Or maybe as you suggested it's that it's "dead" now, or as someone else suggested Jack may have stopped concentrating since it was too late to stop him, or range may matter and Jack was farther away, or something else.

There are plenty of possible reasons for Vinnie to be able to put his hand through the dragon but it to feel solid to Jillian.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Stanley heard the exchange between Jillian and Jack. He's probably going to add 2+2 and find that the "barbarian warlord" is something more than he thought she was.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Points of interest.

1. Readers were happy or disappointed with the last scene, but there was not even speculation that it was faked. There is the genius. The best distraction is one that is not even questioned.
    Yup. 8 pages of discussion and speculation of 126/114, and no one even brought up the possibility that the dragon's demise was a veil/distraction. Even after all the speculation after Jack's "see what I see" line.

We're slipping.
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Stanley heard the exchange between Jillian and Jack. He's probably going to add 2+2 and find that the "barbarian warlord" is something more than he thought she was.
    Did he though? The flock of bats was a decent ways away by the time most of that took place (which also covers him not having heard Jack's name being called over & over).
    Rhuna Coppermane, half-orc for hire
    Ranger, pantheist, protector of neophytes

Member, Redcloak Fanclub

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel that part of the veil was to "flip" the direction of everyone was thinking they were facing, in seeing what I see notice how everything in 110 came 180 degrees out of position thus a way to make it seem like your going east but in reality your going west. The art is wonderful and leaves us the reader to fill in parts of the story on our own.

Thanks Rob & Jami for a "Great Escape" scene!
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    Wanda escaped the Mindmeld by either proving herself on other grounds, or swearing loyalty, having a Loyalty spell cast on her, willing betrayal, or something else.
    In page 54/#60 Sizemore says that you can't have 4 casters in the link, and somewhat hints that only Eyemancers (which Maggie, Misty, and Jack all were as per Parson's Klog #2) can be linked. Sizemore specifically says that only Thinkamancers can lead it, and it certainly makes sense that Misty the Lookamancer would be needed for the scrying aspect, and Jack the Foolamancer for the table projection.

Don't get me wrong, Wanda is obviously very useful, and even if she could have replaced one of them I think it was the better choice to keep Wanda free willed (or as free willed as any non-lord in Erfworld can be) instead of Misty or Jack.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

And lest we forget, Duty, however it works, applies as much to Jack as to any warlord/cast out there. Therefore, Jack can disobey Stanley, if he believes it is for Stanley's own good.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I dunno, I'd kinda like to see a Dirtamancy/Thinkamancy/Croakamancy Mindmeld, just for giggles.

And yes, I meant that Jack threw Stanley's voice.