New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Vagabond (Act1 IC2)

Justice glances around as a look of disappointment quickly crosses her face. "Had to be the most boring of the three choices, didn't it?" she mutters to herself as she half-heartedly pokes through the remains of a tent or two.

"Well, I think here would be a good place to set up our own encampment at least. It's already cleared and a good location, and with luck the raiders will come back for more action if they see we've set up again. Let's make camp, build a fire, and be sure the locals know we're here."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold kicks at a ruined waterskin gloomily.
    "No, Justice; the most boring thing would be if everything were fine. I can deal with boring. Boring has never stabbed me in the face. I should be very surprised indeed if we won't require your prowess at some point."
    He turns to the sailors.
    "Thoughts? I know there are supposedly locals around here somewhere."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Shimar quickly finds some not-so-hidden tracks of small feet; a fair number of them. There are signs of their movement all about the camp, as does there appear to be a few things dragged off further into the brush.

"Kobolds!" hisses the eldest of the three. "Must've been kobolds. Sneaky little bastards..." He glances about at trees that surrounding the clearing, almost frantic. The other two look about, obviously worried about this man's reaction.

Both Shimar's and Justice's search through the tents would suggest that the creatures attacked the men here at night; tore through the tents, some of which appear to be cut through with a sharp blade, others possibly with claws.

Barely any supplies remain; the only things here are opened, strewn-about and not likely edible at this point.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2009-01-29 at 12:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drahlo kneels down to examine the tracks Shimar finds. "I do not know of these 'kobolds.' What are they?

No bodies, no blood... I doubt there are creatures careful enough to clean the bloodstains but stupid enough to leave such clear tracks. Likely the people who were here before still live."

5. - Top - End - #245

Drahlo kneels down to examine the tracks Shimar finds. "I do not know of these 'kobolds.' What are they?

No bodies, no blood... I doubt there are creatures careful enough to clean the bloodstains but stupid enough to leave such clear tracks. Likely the people who were here before still live."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Interest piqued by the mention of kobolds, Justice abandons the idle probing of tents and shifts towards the perimeter of the camp, scanning the forest while looking specifically for easier to travel paths leading deeper into the island.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search/Spot (same modifier) (1d20+1)[10]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Peering through the trees, Justice can tell little of any open path nearby. However, she does note whatever creatures were present here do leave a small trail; easy to see, but not-so-easy to follow, due to the density of the forest. Bringing a mount inward seems impossible, although moving-in on foot cannot be too difficult, if a bit slow.

Justice:
    Spoiler
    Show

As she continues her scanning, she thinks she may have spotted a figure in the trees; but in the blink of an eye, it's gone.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

Unslinging her bow and pulling an arrow from her quiver, Justice notches it and sets to draw. Glancing over her shoulder to get a good look at where the rest of the party is, she steps into the forest and moves about fifteen feet inwards before she stops. She scans the entire area again, her eyes returning to the place she thought she had saw movement before roaming again. As she comes to a standstill, she listens as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot (1d20+1)[12] and the listen (1d20+1)[2]

9. - Top - End - #249

Shimar

Confident about Justice going into the woods on her own, Shimar sits on the ruins, and begins to think.

No fighting? Were these men reliable? If the wealth is so great as the elf guy said, then maybe the group feigned their own peril, and sneeked (?) away from the island with the shineys.

He turns to the seafaring men: Do you know about any other ships that might have come this way a few days before us?
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

"No. Not too likely anyone else came here." snarls the oldest man, still keeping wary of his surroundings. "Why? What are you thinkin'?" He glances to Shimar.

The others seem rather nervous, both too distracted to catch Justice walking into the brush. Alone, she steps inward, but fails to see anything apart from the numerous trees that surround her. There are only the normal sounds of the exotic forest.

Len - the other warrior-woman to accompany the party - continues stand in silence, as she has done so for the entire trip. She grips her broadsword in both hands, slowly scanning the trees. She then nudges Harold. "Hey." She whispers. "You hear somethin'?"

"W-we should...umm...get back to the ship, I think." murmers the youngest of the sailors. "Whatever happened to these folks could happen to us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Venom, if you're confused by this "Len" character; old PC, not active. NPC'd simply because I hate removing characters without reasoning, and I've yet to think of a good way to remove her. Kinda forgot to mention she was there too.

11. - Top - End - #251

Drahlo gives a low grunt, apparently unconvinced. He slowly moves into the woods; the druid seems to have little trouble navigating the dense underbrush. He will return to the others immediately if he spots something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot/listen: (1d20+8=11, 1d20+8=17)
    Also taking 10 on a search check for a result of 11.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    In half-hearted fashion, Harold draws his rapier.
    "Couldn't tell you. I'd like to know a bit more about what happened here, to be honest. But for now...I think we'll let you folk have your head, so to speak."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

A look of disappointment crosses Justice's face as she pointedly turns her back to where she had though to have seen movement. "And here I thought I would get to have a bit of fun." She mutters, mostly to herself. She isn't as oblivious as she is appearing to be, however. She keeps an attentive ear to the forest around her, hoping whoever was watching was stupid enough to believe her to be so careless.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I noticed Len before. I'm all fine with it, no worries. As for what I'm doing. She's trying to appear open to draw someone out. Convinced she's being watched and all that. Bluff: [roll]1d+1[/roll], listen check: (1d20+1)[15], and absolutely crazy half-elf blind luck check: (1d20+50)[70]

14. - Top - End - #254

Shimar

Just in case, Shimar makes sure he has his glaive at the ready, and explains the old man his thoughts.

You know, if the stuff here worths half as much as our emplorer says, the folks might just feigned death, and got away. Anyhow, there's only one way to find it out. If we have luck, there's something in those bushes.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't know about that, friend." replies the man to Shimar's postulation. "These tracks look like a kobold's to me..." He continues to scan the area, obviously convinced the threat is not entirely gone.

None of the party detect any nearby enemies; the area seems completely abandoned of any humanoids, or anything else that might be considered a threat.

After a moment of silently glancing about, Len shifts gears and rather abruptly begins a thorough search through the remnants of the encampment. Within moments, she finds a small sack within one of the tents, and peeks inside. "Hey, Harry. Check this out." She pulls out a few items of interest, and hands them over to Harold. Among them a crudely-drawn map - which he interprets to lead to the site of the excavation (it appears to be somewhere in the higher terrain, but thankfully it does not seem to be more than an hour's walk away) - and a journal of sorts. Flipping through the pages, he can easily surmize it's a log. There isn't much of note, until he begins to read later excerpts.

Day 75

"...Against my warnings, the team thought it necessary to strip the ruin of the ancient holy symbols that decorate its walls. Am I the only one who thinks this place may be accursed by the old magics? There were even engraved warnings that told of doom befalling those who fail to acknowledge them; and the haunting air of the ruin does not make me wish to test it as eagerly as these louts. They are blinded by their greed."

Day 77

"...In deeper reaches of the ruin is only more that we do not understand. We have encountered strange curse of sorts, that attacks the body as if it were of a plague-ridden carcass. Several were infected with this 'disease', if it could be called such; I, for one, see this as a shamanic hex. The men's faces are covered in boils, they puss and bleed and ache. Their skin, oh god, their skin...it looks as if it begins to rot off their bones. The expedition leader was also affected. We meant to send him and the others back, but, our ship has mysteriously disappeared. Some think it may have been taken by pirates said to sometimes hide on the far-end of the isle. I know the truth: the isle swallowed it whole. This expedition is damned."

Day 80

"...We've been hearing things moving about the camp at night; our hunter Quiggley says we've attracted the attention of some of the larger game found on the isle. He says we don't have to worry about it, as long as we keep our fires lit and take a few other precautionary steps. I pray we've not brought more of the isle's wrath upon us; we've enough to worry about without being stalked by beasts.

Daniel - the lead-archaeologist's assistant - is also still missing, along two of our other men. Last we heard from them, they were investigating a secret passageway found in the ruin. However, we've found no evidence of such a passage, and any knowledge there may have been of one was lost last night, when the expedition leader finally succumbed to the 'strange illness'."

Day 92

"With our team falling-apart, and our supplies dwindling, we're in disarray. Some have taken to hunting the creatures of the isle; most have been killed in the attempt. Apparently, one must not only be aware of the beasts of this isle, but the plant-life as well.

I'm confident that Lord Claudius has noted our failure to keep him apprised of the situation, and will send help soon. We've followed the directions of the original surveying team exactly; they should have no trouble finding us when they arrive. My only difficulty now lies in maintaining some calm among those of us left."
    There are no further entries.

16. - Top - End - #256

Shimar

Well, it kind explains the whole trouble. So, we need to find the kobolds, and we will find the surviving members of the expedition. Hey, do kobolds eat human meat?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Harold
    "...'Harry?' Don't do that. Please."
    The minstrel shakes his head and pages through the diary.
    "Have I ever mentioned just how much I approve of people keeping a regular diary? Just look how helpful it is to people who want to rescue you or, as the case may be, collect information on your innermost thoughts."
    He taps the diary against his palm, thinking.
    "Well," he says, "I think we can safely report on the status of the enterprise as 'failed' to Claudius. Shame about all those people, really. Think we can still hit the high tide on our way out?"

18. - Top - End - #258

Shimar

And missing all the fun here? Now I am curious if kobold meat is delicious or not. At least we should check the diggin' site. - replies the barbarian to Harold.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

The sailors glance to one-another before answering Harold. "Heh, was waitin' for you folk to say somethin' sensible!" says the youngest. "We headin' back, then, or what?" He looks to the rest of your group, eager for people to start moving.

"Is that it?" asks a disgruntled Len. "We're just leaving? Listen, Harold, you can get on outta here, but I've got too much riding on this. We might have other ways of gettin' money, but I don't have the time to sail back and scout out more jobs." She snatches the map from him, and then looks hard on each member of the group. "I'm gonna check out the ruins. Shimar, you're coming, right?"

20. - Top - End - #260

Shimar

Definately! - agrees the barbarian - If there's some shineys and fights to have, I'm not the one to back out! And Harold's coming as well. He just keeps playin this girly - sorry Len and Justice - role until we finally get into some real trouble, but then he's always behaving like a man should, right-o? Well, 'cept for the whining.

Where Shimar came from, calling men whiny girls usually ends up with them accepting the task, out of the fear that the others will keep calling them whiny girls. He wonders if it works with Harold.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

(Important details to be read in the OOC)