New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Vagabond (Act1 IC2)

"I'll keep that in mind when the next waiter wanders past." She muses. "Besides, I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this ship business." She raises her chin slightly at this comment, though the sickly color to her face does little to reinforce her statement.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold chuckles.
    "Can't say I blame you. Both of the cures for seasickness I've heard of have come from sailors, so you have to take them with a mouthful of seawater, as it were."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

Narrowing her eyes slightly, she says, "Much as I'll probably regret asking... what's the other cure?"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold laughs.
    "Ah, now! That's one I'll save for when I know you a little better, Justice. Can't give up all my secrets at once, now can I?"
    Still smiling, he turns his head towards the front of the ship, salty breeze ruffling his hair.
    "I have a good feeling about this mission."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Pixie in the Playground

Risking a glance over the railing once more, Justice frowns slightly. "I just hope this lousy ship ride is worth it. If all we find is a few lazy workers who are too busy drinking to bother sending word back, then I might just have to -find- a reason to start some fights."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold smiles again.
    "I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you. I've a sense that a strong arm is going to be well useful in the jungles. Besides, I'll bet there's a few on this ship that'd be happy to accommodate a brawl, if that's what you wanted. Have you seen the looks you've been getting? Lots of people here interested showing off their strength to a dangerous woman."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

Glancing around the deck of the ship, Justice surveys each of the readily apparent sailors with a critical eye. "I could probably take most if not all in a fair fight." Making an attempt to stand, she seems pleased that she is able to keep her feet, even though she has to hold onto the railing to do so. "Well, maybe a fair fight on land." Releasing her hold on the rail, she stumbles as she tries to catch her free standing balance.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    "Whoa, easy there!"
    Harold pushes himself away from the deck to catch Justice's arm, crouching to support her from below.
    "Ooof..."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

Blushing slightly, Justice regains her feet. "Sorry. I just can't seem to get the hang of all this rocking." She mutters in apology, gripping the railing once more.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold straightens up, slowly.
    " Don't worry about it. You get used to it after a while, and some people eventually find the rocking motion quite pleasurable."
    Making sure the warrior is stable, Harold resumes leaning against the rail, and he winks.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

Justice wrinkles her nose slightly. "Who would be daft enough to actually -enjoy- this sort of motion?" Glancing at one of the sailors she lowers her voice slowly. "Er, well, sailors aside, I guess."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold shrugs.
    "I can only suggest that it's best enjoyed after or during having one's seasickness cured."
    He reaches into a pocket and retrieves a bit of salt beef he wasn't quite able to convince himself was lunch earlier. He gives it a slightly incredulous stare.
    "People eat this? Often? On a boat with limited water, and they give you dry foods loaded with salt? I can't be the only one to spot the flaw in the thinking here."
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2009-01-14 at 10:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

The sight of food sends Justice leaning over the side of the ship again, an impressive shade of green coloring his features. As the wave of sickness passes, she slumps back down to a sitting position, doing her best to maintain some measure of dignity. "At least it's meat. Could be worse."
    Last edited by Sweet_Venom_84; 2009-01-14 at 11:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon

After scrawling some notes on some parchment, Jon heads towards the deck. He stops, seeing Harold and Justice, "Oh, I won't interrupt their romantic evening..."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drahlo had taken a trip or two the the side-rail himself for bit of the journey--the green-shade to his skin was nothing new, but expelling the contents of his stomach is. He seems to acclimate pretty quickly though, and while he isn't exactly in top shape, he seems to be getting around okay. Guha has stayed in his satchel most of the time, happily munching on the bit of food he had stored in there for her. Shirtless as always, his purple tattoos contrasting with his skin as usual, he makes his way about the deck, watching the sailors at their work curiously--and if a strong arm is asked for, he'll readily give it.

While wondering about, he stumbles onto the newcomer, who had apparently stumbled upon Harold who had stumbled upon Justice. "'Romantic' evening? Romantic... that is a word I do not think I know..."

Thinking back to the day before, Drahlo suddenly realizes that he hadn't introduced himself. "You are the new man here to accompany us, yes? My name is Drahlo. Forgive me for not greeting you before--the ocean is still a new sight to me, and I was caught up in it." He offers his left hand somewhat awkwardly, adding, "I think this is right... new meetings come with clasped hands?"

((Full Drahlo description for the newcomer))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drahlo is somewhat tall for an orc, and heavy due to his well-developed muscles. He has straight black hair that falls to his back. It looks fairly healthy, and he usually has braids in it at seemingly random locations, as well as beads and feathers woven into the strands. He has a small, scraggly beard that doesn't seem to have quite filled in yet; bits of his square jaw clearly visible through it due to his light-green skin. He has the usual, beast-like face of an orc, with a flattened nose and prominent brows. He has many facial piercings; one in both earlobes--from which charms made from purple stones hang--two in his left helix (the upper rim of the ear) and three in his right, and two piercings in his right eyebrow and one in his left. From these hang small, simple rings made of bone. Finally, he has a labret piercing (below bottom lip, above the chin) from which hangs three rings made of iron, shaped so that they appear to loop around and go through the bottom of his jaw. (If this last one is difficult to envision, think of David Draiman, the lead singer of Disturbed; he is well known for wearing this kind of ring)

His body is very well muscled, even among the usually muscular orcs. He has hunched shoulders and hairy arms and legs, but his chest and back are bare--either naturally so or shaven; it is difficult to tell. Around his torso are many purple tattoos; the same hue as the charms in his ear-lobe earrings. In shape, they look vaguely like the patterns you might see on a snake such as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...ius_Pastel.jpg

Other than his rings and hair adornments, the only clothing he normally wears are a pair of simple leather trousers and plain sandals. He carries a simple spear with an obsidian head, and a satchel he usually wears hanging over his right shoulder so that the bag is at his left hip. His mouse, Guha, makes her home in this satchel when she's not on his shoulder.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2009-01-15 at 12:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon

"Well, typically we offer the other hand. For uhm, sanitary reasons." Jon makes a wiping motion with his left hand and puts out his right instead.

17. - Top - End - #227

"...Sanitary? Another word I do not know." He pauses as he tries to piece together what that strange wave could have meant... In the end, he shrugs and presents the other hand instead. Whether or not this was the better option for "sanitary" purposes is a complete mystery for now.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

The ship continues to sail on easy winds and relatively calm waters for the remainder of the trip. Although there isn't much to do out on the sea, at least you didn't encounter any harsh weather or terrible sea beasts along your way.

You awaken early one morning, hearing a distant cry of "Land!" After rousing yourselves from the sleeping hold, you come to the deck, spotting an isle in the distance; your presumed destination.

Once the ship comes close enough to the island, the captain gathers your party together by one of the rowboats held on the side of the ship. "Shince we can't bring thish shhip too near the shhore, you'll need to take a shmaller vesshel inward. The encampment shhouldn't be far from the beach; actually, it'sh shurprishing they don't appear to have any short of watch to shee us inward." He glances at the isle, which you note is thick with trees only a short distance up the beach. "I can have a few men accompany you ashhore, although not many; I'm rather shhort on deckhandsh, you shee." He clears his throat. "If there'sh shign of trouble, we'll do what we can to help. But for now, unlessh you've need shomething elshe from me..." He stands idle a moment, awaiting someone to halt him from finishing his sentence.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Harold
    Harold ruffles his hair, squinting at the land lurking on the horizon like an iron toad.
    "Well, uh... Can you keep an eye on the shore? We'll light a fire if we'd like you to come, I s'pose, but when it comes to provisioning, I defer to the more...rustic members of the group."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon

"Well, I suppose we're off. Before we begin official work, is there anything I should know? I assume someone has been elected for leadership duties to keep things proper."

21. - Top - End - #231

Shimar

As the more rustic part of the group, Shimar gets his eqiupment and dog before approaching the captain.

If we don't see someone we should see right now, there might be some troubles. We'd like to get a day's or two days' food and drink, if you can afford.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2009-01-21 at 01:23 PM.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain raises a brow at Shimar's request. "Lishen, shonny; it'sh not like you're going off alone into the wildernessh without any help. Thish ish a shhort walk up passhed shome treesh. Like your bright fellow shaysh," He glances to Harold "...you can shimply light a shignal fire if shomething ish wrong. My boat ishn't going anywhere until we're all done here, sho don't get the impresshon we're abandoning you."

Although clearly growing impatient, the captain continues to stand idlely to address any further requests.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Surprisingly unadorned as she has been for most of the trip, yet feeling and looking much better than she had at the beginning, Justice gazes out across the water, squinting slightly to glean every detail she can from the shore. "Three ways to see this, fellahs." She states with an almost cheerful edge. "Either the camp is there and all this worrying is for nothing, no one is there and all this worrying is for nothing, or the enemy is there and we get to do a lot of fun fighting to stretch out with." Turning to cast a content smile at the other party members, she finishes, "Whichever, we get off this boat and back on dry land. I say we go."

24. - Top - End - #234

Drahlo gazes out to the island with a grin. "More forest, yet so unlike those of the elves. The ocean first and now this; if I see nothing else, my journey was still worth it. Nature's bounty will show itself to me." The massive orc turns his gaze to Shimar and says, "I will be able to keep myself fed, and unless this place is harsher than it looks from here, I can likely provide for others too."

Spoiler
    Show
    That's based on taking 10 on a survival check to get along in the wild, as detailed in the survival skill. If I can't take ten on the check, just let me know.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2009-01-23 at 11:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Those scanning the beach would note that the trees are not far from the shoreline, although the area is wide enough for a landing of a large party. To either side of the beach, the land is sloped upward, and rises high enough to be considered a small cliff. Thankfully, there are no suspicious figures looming in the distance, nor are there any other ill omens.

When you have all prepared yourselves to move out, you climb into a small boat, accompanied by three of the captain's chosen men. None wear any armor, but rather dress in plain garb. Two carry cutlasses and the third a light crossbow. Their rugged looks and stern demeanor suggest they've had at least some experience in a fight.

The boat is rowed to the beach with haste, and you hop out into the shallow waters once you're too close to move any further. Your band makes its way onto the dry sand, and pauses a moment to collect its bearings. It's a bit warmer in these parts than in Porto Giedion, although it is certainly not untouched by the changes of season. What is more remarkable than the weather is the sounds of exotic birds and other creatures you hear in the distance, between the crashing of each wave upon the shore. Those among your group to have noticed cityfolk walking about with strange pets may wonder if this place may be home to such animals.

"This way." Says one of the sword-carrying men, pointing toward a small path that leads through the nearby trees. He is the oldest of the three, by far; with a bald head, wearing a pair of earrings made from a dull metal. The other two may appear seasoned, but they at least have some touch of youth in their faces. The other man armed with a blade has dark hair, and has a well-groomed goatee; he cautiously eyes the parties surroundings as he gives a warning, "I hear there are great boars on this isle. Bigger than a man. Keep your eyes open." The third man to come along carelessly follows the bald man, clearly absent in his senses and peering mindlessly at the path ahead from behind his fairly long blond hair. "Those are just stories." he replies to the second, dismissively.

26. - Top - End - #236

Shimar

Delighted that again he can feel soil under his feet, the hulking barbarian follows the leaders. He pays attention to the surrounding, trying to get used to the strange environment, exotic trees and birds.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold scratches the back of his head, looking out at the teeming misty jungles.
    "About as real as the walking dead, I expect. Well, thank you gentlemen for the lift. Any other local flora or fauna we ought to watch out for?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

"Quite a bit, actually." replies the oldest of the trio. "Don't think it'll be sensible to stop here and explain it all to you now; best just keep your eyes open, and stick close to us. If you see something move, let me know."

The party continues through the brush, eventually coming to a clearing, nestled at the base of the low-point of some mountains, reaching up further in the background. Not far from where you stand is the encampment...or at least, what remains of it.

There are tents, posts and circles where supplies are gathered, but most are damaged, destroyed or ransacked. There are no bodies present, nor are there any bloody bits, or any other sign of a death in the area. There is nobody else here, living or dead.

The older man signals to his two companions, who spread out a bit, scanning the surrounding area. "What'dya think happened?" asks the youngest of the three men. Neither of the other two answer.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon

Jon wanders around the camp, keeping a hand on the kukri on his belt. "Perhaps they ran out of supplies, took what they needed with them, and moved to some other area? Is there anywhere like that they could have gone?"

30. - Top - End - #240

Shimar

Looking at the damaged tents, Shimar starts to scan the are as well, looking for footprints of smaller creatures. The guy back at the mansion mentioned kobolds or what.

You don't leave an encamped behind like this if you run out of supplies. I'd say they surrendered or fled without a fight, and whoever attacked them destroyed the camp.

He also checks the remains of the tents, looking for obvious signs, such as there are any supplies left, or to see if the attack was humanoid or animal origin

Survival - (1d20+3)[10]