New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paradigm Shift

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Paradigm Shift

Jenobi follows the woman inside being well aware with what the guards and her are armed with. Also checking for notable features of the room such as exits and the number of guards.

"Have others come looking for this man?" He asks politely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+9)[11]
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    "Yes, I'm sure a random pit into darkness would really brighten up my office back on Coruscant..."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim, as always, follows, looking at the building inside. The bleakers don't seem dangerous, so he drops his defensive stance.

Seems like they don't know where Eliath is for sure either.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-10-24 at 11:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Huron shakes his head and lets go of his sword hilt. The only Bleakers he'd ever met were utterly insane--seeing these grim guardians makes him wonder if some of the crazier Bleakers started out as these selfless, tired custodians.

"Never mind. I'm not used to sane Bleakers, I guess..." he murmurs, attempting to reassure companions. He sounds slightly embarrassed, as he follows Jenobi in through the door. Pausing once, on the threshold, to stare at the vegetable army, before going inside.

"Next time, Shadowedbreath, try a flanking maneuver. Carrots fight much better when the enemy's pinned down." A quick wry smile, before he heads inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Yeah, my bad on that one. Didn't realize the Bleakers were doing the whole "healing/saving the sick and injured" in addition to the insane. Remind me to do the History check BEFORE reacting suspiciously, next time. Sorry, Otogi.
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to kill you."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to die."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

mmmg. too calm here ... how will they ever survive in this cold hard world?

The gnoll barbarian follows the group, but isn't at ease in this unnatural environment ...

((OOC: I'll have no access to the I-net this weekend, so gnoryc will do the diplomatic thing, and keep his mouth shut ))
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

The woman's lined face is still and emotionless. "Other's have been looking for their insane here; friends, relatives, colligues, beneficiaries, even enemies. We usually find them, whether deep inside the Hive, or in their own closets, and bring them here for treatment, even though it doesn't matter. All their's, and it would seem yours, seemed to have strangely disappeared, it seems. It would might help to take a look around, if you wish; many under our care sometimes find themselves away from those who try to help them."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim

The dwarf looks at the others, then back at the woman. "Thank you for your time. If you know anything more about Eliath, please let us know." He then turns to his companions. "I guess we should look and ask around here, then around the Gatehouse, then the Mortuary. Shall we go?" If the woman doesn't want to tell them any more, Fargrim starts exploring the Gatehouse with a bit of hidden excitement for what there might be to see here.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jenobi nods and begins searching around for Eliath.
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, I'm sure a random pit into darkness would really brighten up my office back on Coruscant..."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Huron frowns a bit at the woman's cryptic way of saying "he might be here, he might not." Following the others, he begins to search the gatehouse, specifically listening for anyone mentioning the name "Eliath" or fitting the man's description. All it takes is one barmy talking to himself about his long lost pal, Huron thinks to himself.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sashi

Sashi follows the others, searching the asylum for their quarry. She occasionally stops to sense for signs of magic, hoping it may lead her towards the wizard.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+4)[9]

Arcana (detect magic): (1d20+11)[17]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

Sulking somewhat behind the party, he also looks around
    Spoiler
    Show
    perception: (1d20+9)[22]

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

11. - Top - End - #71

Being taken around it a grueling process, not because of the time, but the utter despair you see all around. The woman tells you about all the cases that have been reported without any application by a caretakers, all 50 of them. By the end of the walk of sympathy and depressing madness, it begins to take a toll on your mind, though the woman doesn't seem to have any trouble with the experience. Unfortunately, this is a hay stack, and there is no needle; Eliath is nowhere to be found. "I'm sorry to hear that we couldn't find the patient you were looking for. If you wish, I can intitiate the search again."

Sashi
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception: There are a lot of people in fettle position, sucking their thumbs, hold in their corners, scratching walls, held up in straight jackets and one unfortunate fellow with his waste bucket over his head. The other waste bucket. No Eliath, though

Arcana (detect magic): There are arcanist abound here, mostly those who have dabbled in forbidden in dark or forbidden genres. None like the wizard you're looking for, it seems.

Gnoryc
    Spoiler
    Show

Perception: Your don't even want to believe you saw it. It's not there, it couldn't be. Not even the planes could explain this odd phenomenon, not even Yeengoloth's ever known cruelty: A man, an ordinary man, nothing in the slightest mystical with no arms and no legs, but still floating. Maybe you should stay here for a couple of days.

Everybody
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mental strain of this very place is debilitating and gives the impression that perhaps the Bleakers might be on to something..
    Will vs. 12, -2 penalty on next encounter.
    Last edited by Otogi; 2008-10-29 at 03:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn't Will a defense stat now, like AC? The 4e sheets read it as 10+0.5*level, +ability mod, +class and magic items. So if I have a will defense of 17, there's no way that's 1d20+17 for a will save. Checking the PHB, it looks like saving throws are just unmodified d20 rolls to see if a status effect ends, whereas will and reflex and fortitude are used like AC, to see if an attack has an effect. In which case it might be better if you rolled an "attack" against our will defenses, Otogi. Alternatively, I could just roll all my will modifiers without the 10 base defense, and it'd work more or less like a 3.5e save.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will, using the above quasi-save method: (1d20+7)[23]

Huron shudders at the dark cases around him, and shakes his head sadly. "The Mortuary won't help us much, either, unless Eliath is dead. We need to find a different way of searching. A spell, perhaps..."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Umm, Reflex, Fortitude and Will don't work that way anymore, you have to make an attack against them. My base Will defense is 12 (15 with all modifiers), so I could only fail on a 1.
    (1d20+15)[23]

Having seen the many strange and disturbing things, Fargrim tries to keep calm, which is easier said than done. His curiosity has been clubbed silent, so to speak. Still, there is something going on. Just question is, what is it?

"That was... We probably should ask around outside." He continued significantly more quiet, distancing himself from the Bleaker. "Or search here in a more subtle way."

14. - Top - End - #74

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I was aiming at a static value anyway. Really should have rolled, as you said.

Alrighty, here it is (1d20+2)[5]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Sashi

Sashi stops and considers this. "Well, as fun as its been here, I don't think the man we're looking for is here." she looks around at the building, its kind of creepy but refreshingly so in her opinion. "I know there is a ritual... Hand of Fate. But I don't know how to cast it. I suppose we could look around outside some more." she shrugs.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ooh, I've heard of a couple people trying that... One of them got turned into a chicken, but this other guy turned into a dragon! Then they used the ritual to try to figure out how to turn back, or at least the dragon did... The chicken just sort of got all featherless and white and tasty. See, though? They really did try it!" He pauses for a moment, thinking, then suggests, "We could probably get someone to tell us how to do the ritual, actually. Lots of people here like giving you stuff because they think that you'll give them money, even when you know you won't. Actually, I've seem to have a bunch of wizardy stuff that people might like for me to pretend to give to them... Maybe we should try it?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

"poor little buggers around here" Gnoryc starts sympathetically ... but then adds "someone should put them out of their misery ...".

Gnoryc is however suppized by the floating torso ... thought madicians needed there hands to cast spells ... odd guy ... maybe he's full of hot air ...

18. - Top - End - #78

As you walk out of the melancholy of the Gatehouse, you are greeted by a strangely optimistic guard. "Hey, ye buggar's lookin' for a ritual or somesort?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

No, I'm looking for trouble. Got some? Gnoryc thinks ...

he gives the man a grin, showing his teeth, but remains silent.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, we're looking for some bee guy, name of Eliath. He's probably all yellow and black and striped... And he's supposed to be a mage, so he's probably wearing a robe and wizard hat. Hmm... I'm a mage... Why don't I have a wizard hat?" Shadowedbreath puts his hand on his head as he contemplates his lack of headgear, but then appears to get distracted by something unseen in the sky and lets it drop silently.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What sort of ritual are you suggesting were looking for?" Jenobi asks politely. "Like my friend said, were looking for a magus named Eliath, we were told he could be found around here."
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

"Try the night market, couple'uh kips away. Got everythin a cutter could ever want! Keep yer boneboxes shut 'bout this, not supposed to be tell'in anybody about it" the strangely energetic guard says.

Another, sag faced guard calls out to the one your speaking to. "Vanguard Jontomphlen, is there something these relatives to the mad are looking for?" he asks in a dreary tone of voice.

"Er, em, no, Subprime Director of the Merciful Shield, I am just, um, expressing how their quest for their sick are ultimately, eh, futile." the guard you were conversing with says, mimicing the same tone as the guard.

"Ah, yes. That makes as much sense as it could." The director ponders to himself. "Well, it's your duty to look after the manic-mechanicals" the director.

The guard makes a face of tiring. "Yes, Director. Yeh!" the guard groans.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim raises an eyebrow at the short conversation between the guards. "Well, maybe we should look around in some other place.", the dwarf suggests as an obvious hint.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Indeed. Perhaps things are less...hopeless, nearby." Huron smirks at the guard as stealthily as possible, and then turns to head for the night market, hoping to find someone who could sell them a means to find Eliath.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jenobi follows Huron down to the market. "I doubt we will find him at the market, and this constant chasing of our tails is becoming irritating." He looks to see if the deader is still hanging around as he leaves.
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

The Night Market is a dark, depraved place. Drugs, prostitues, assassins, slaves, dark magic? They have it up front and in spades, and some thing to unbareable to mention. It's safe to say that you could find literally anything here.

When you first start at the peak of the baazar of the night, you see hunched, rag clothed humanoids searching for food in an animal like fashion. The shop keepers literally keep them away with a stick - a rather pointed and well used one. Their cureos are unremarkable - food, tools, toys, instruments and a few weapons are scattered about. The deeper you go in, the more that changes. Innocent if crude items turn into specialized, disturbing and gruesome objects such as macabe-looking devices, both for pain and pleasure, organs, the people themselves and magic items of the most vile sorts. The denizens don't seem any better - from thugs, debauched aristocrats, seedy slavemasters to abberations, fiends (mortal and immortal) and even the dead litter the streets looking for that perfect buy. Look around, behind your back especially.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

the gnoll smiles ... "this is more like my kinda place
    ... anyone know how the guy looks?
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+9)[20] (perhaps I see someone like'm or hear his name ...)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim

Great, the dwarf thinks when he sees the Night Market and follows the others while staying alert. Looks like I am taking a tour through the worst corners of Sigil.

29. - Top - End - #89

frown Re: Paradigm Shift

Spoiler
    Show
    To your surprise, you can't seem to find anyone like wizard, even as you pass through a constant array of ghastly and sickening spell components, even a staff that looks like it was made from human tongues. Tasty to you, maybe, but outright disgusting and bone-chilling to anyone without a history in the Abyss.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

no ... that Eliath guy doesn't seem to be here ... we could ask around ... maybe start some trouble.