New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paradigm Shift

1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Paradigm Shift

Huron stares at the market, his knowing facade utterly cracked. A mere few months in Sigil had not prepared him for this place, and despite his attempts to blend in, he does not fit in here. Not in a place as utterly corrupt as the Night Market.

He is almost too distracted to search for Eliath, and by the time Gnoryc mentions the man's absence, he slowly shuts his previously slack jaw.

"No Eliath here, hm? Perhaps, one of the...." things? Creatures? Horrors? "people here might be able to find him. Sniff him out, or scry his location."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to kill you."
    "You seem a decent fellow. I'd hate to die."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim searches for someone who specializes in selling information (regarding people). If no one like that advertizes his "goods", the dwarf asks the nearest seller about someone who does that kind of business.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

The frustrating search for the barmy only gets more so as it seems that no one knows where Eliath seems to be. As you leave the queasy adventures of the Night Market, you are stopped by one of the merchants. "Yer lookin' fer a barmy, eh?" She says.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

the first thought in his mind was slaming her against the wall and demanding to know where he was ... but then he refrains ...

"ya, we are..."
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

"The man we are searching for is most likely a male human, bald, dressed like a wizard, named Eliath. Can you find him and what will it cost?", Fargrim asks the woman straight to the point. Seems like this is finally going somewhere.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jenobi takes a good look at this woman and what she is selling. Wondering what she could have that is of any use to the party he takes a look at his party members to see how long they really want to keep this up.
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    "Yes, I'm sure a random pit into darkness would really brighten up my office back on Coruscant..."

7. - Top - End - #97

"Yeh, I see 'em" She says, spitting to the ground. "Som' berks drag 'is carcus back to the Mortuary."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"And here I was assuming he'd be alive. I can't tell whether this makes things easier...or just more twisted."

Still shaken by his time in the asylum, he can't help but feel like this whole search is becoming futile. What could their dwarven employer want with some dead, crazy wizard?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

"So we are off to the Mortuary then." Fargrim wonders when they will actually find something, becoming tired of wandering and asking around in Sigil without finding anything. He follows the others.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I hope this doesnt turn into a lich hunt..." Jenobi says under his breath and follows Fargrim to the mortuary.
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes, I'm sure a random pit into darkness would really brighten up my office back on Coruscant..."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadowedbreath, too, is becoming tired of wandering without finding anything exciting, and says so loudly. "I'm getting tired of this. When am I going to find something fun? This little insect had better be at this Mortuary, and when I find him he'd better have something good to eat!"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryc

"yah, I hate liches ... they taste like ****" the gnoll blunty adds.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

13. - Top - End - #103

And so you depart to the Mortuary. Before you can make it to the grim foundation, your stopped by a man with a blacked leather outfit to match his face. He opened his bonebox, the sides cut by what looks like a knife. " Ye be lookin' a little heavy, thar, folks. Wouldn't ya be bettar off shavin' off a few pounds, through? I mean, good folks like yerself should travel light and quick. Why don't ye shake off the pounds by giving me tat dreadful jink you hav'ta so needless lug around like so much bad ordures?" He says, sticking out his four-fingered paw with greedy, amber eyes looking toward you (or rather, your coin purses).

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

For a brief moment, Shadowedbreath's face ceases to have his usual maddenedly-content expression and his usual ramblings suddenly stop. He seems almost sane as he glowers at the man, reaches into his backpack, and digs through it for a short time before producing a simple, dirty brown cloth pouch, which he throws away to the side of the street. When it lands, there is an audible chink of coins bouncing against each other within the sack, and the shadar-kai points towards it, saying simply, "Go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation to make a simple item, specifically a dirty brown cloth pouch with some form of weight inside it, in Shadowedbreath's hand, which is inside his backpack. Then, pull out the pouch and toss it aside, using Ghost Sound to mimic the sound of a money bag hitting the ground from where the bag landed

Also, Bluff Check - (1d20+2)[14], and I'm going to be so very happy if this actually works.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim puts himself in front of the others, weapon and shield in hand, staring right into the eyes of the man. "Feeling lucky, aren't we?", the dwarf grumbles, ready to smash him out of the way of the group if he makes as much trouble as his outfit suggests. The military training and stout nature of Fargrim come to the fore, as he has no time and little patience for this kind of people.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-11-19 at 01:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"You're lucky my friend here's in the mood for charity, berk. Take the money and rattle your bonebox somewhere else. That is, if you want to keep it."

Huron pulls his favorite psychological tactic once more, shifting his wings to reveal that his "cloak" is alive, and baring the hilt of his frost longsword to the man's eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate (1d20+9)[19]

17. - Top - End - #107

The man grabs the bag and shakes it. He makes a large, gapped grin and shoves the "gold" greedily into his pocket. "Tat's good, but you can't honestly expect to survive if you stay so heavy? We're gonna need to get ye out of 'tis shape." He takes out a rusty mace, and as he unsheathes his weapon, almost a dozen brutes of different races all come out of the shadows and from a few makeshift kips. A few are a bit demoralized from icy blade and living, white wings, but that doesn't stop them from picking up sticks and shafts of wood.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We may be making a few additions to the deadbook today. Gnoryc might also have his meal today too." Jenobi says with a glare at the man who went for the 'gold' bag. He calmly opens his wings and his eyes burn with hatred toward the man. You get a shiver up your spine as the air around Jenobi becomes heavier.

Spoiler
    Show
    using Unsetteling Presence (enc) on the man
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

The man shivers in his ratted boots. He hastily, but frightfully picks up his mace, looking like a rattle as he holds it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Otogi; 2008-11-22 at 12:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gnoryic (55 hp)

Gnoryic licks his lips as Jenobi mentions food. Plus, when the man grabs his weapon, the gnoll takes that as a sign for battle ...
    And thus, with a loud hyena giggle, the gnoll lunches himself toward the thief...
    Spoiler
    Show

don't know if initiative will matter, but he're a roll (1d20+5)[23]

using Ferocious Charge (and thus the charge action (+1 attack)) and Howling strike instead of a basic attack.
    attack (1d20+10)[13]
    damage (1d10+6)[16]+(1d6)[6]+2

edit: oh great, since DnD Insider is now paying, most of my links won't work anymore ...
    Last edited by qube; 2008-11-24 at 02:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim puts himself between the group and the densest group of thugs. Quickly he moves towards the enemy, trying to crush the nearest thief with his hammer, using the momentum to strike at another target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move, Cleave
    Attack roll (1d20+9)[17]
    Damage roll (Brutal 2, reroll damage die until it is higher than 2) (1d10+6)[13]
    3 damage against another target

22. - Top - End - #112

Initiative Count

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Count:

The Thief: (1d20+6)[14],
    Thug 1: (1d20)[17]
    Thug 2: (1d20)[14]
    Thug 3: (1d20)[6]
    Thug 4: (1d20)[10]
    Thug 5: (1d20)[14]
    Thug 6: (1d20)[7]
    Thug 7: (1d20)[11]
    Thug 8: (1d20)[10]
    Thug 9: (1d20)[3]
    Thug 10: [roll]1d20[/roll

HP count:

Spoiler
    Show

The Thief: 37
    Thug: 1
    Thug: 0
    Thug: 0

Fargrim's hammer valiantly slams straight into the head of one of a human ruffian, and connects into an warted elf, killing them both. Gnoyrc's vicious lunge is agilely avoided by the head thief with an arch of a back.
    Last edited by Otogi; 2008-11-26 at 10:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Initiative: (1d20+4)[22]

Huron, annoyed with the thief who's been trying to intimidate them, slides his longsword out of its sheath and begins attacking rapidly, striking with lunging, risky thrusts in an attempt to draw the man out and expose his weakness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Viper's Strike At-Will power, STR vs AC
    To hit: (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[12]
    Regardless of whether I hit, if the thief tries to move at all between now and Huron's next turn, one ally of my choice gets a free attack of opportunity.
    I will say that the nearest ally gets to attack, and if there's a choice, I'll pick the one with the best chance to hit.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Immediately after the Craghammer connects with a crushing hit, Fargrim quickly advances towards two other thugs, maintaining the momentum of his hit, guarding his movement with his large shield. Reducing the number of attackers is highest priority right now, so the soldier can control the dirty thiefs better. As he arrives at his destination, he brings his weapon to bear, swinging it in a wide arc at the nearest thug.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (just in case the roll is still needed) (1d20+3)[8]
    Move Action Shift towards the enemy so that Fargrim is adjacent to 2 targets. If the distance is too great to shift, he moves normally (without moving through threatened squares, if possible).
    Standard Action Cleave (marks the first target)
    Attack roll (1d20+9)[13], damage roll (Brutal 2) (1d10+6)[16], 3 damage to a second target if attack connects

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative - (1d20+8)[15]

Shadowedbreath suddenly cackles madly, shouting, "Ha! The money wasn't even real, and neither are you!" Twirling his staff in a wide arc before slamming it into the street, the wizard makes a thunderous blast streak out to devastate the would-be thieves.

Spoiler
    Show
    If needed, moving to where I can catch the most possible enemies, particularly the minions, into a close blast 3, then using Thunderwave to target the most possible enemies.

Multiple attack rolls (up to 9 targets):
    Attack1 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[22]
    Attack2 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[24]
    Attack3 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[16]
    Attack4 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[20]
    Attack5 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[22]
    Attack6 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[22]
    Attack7 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[27]
    Attack8 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[13]
    Attack9 vs. Fortitude - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage on hit - (1d6+5)[6] and push 1

Map would really be helpful here so I can actually know who and what I'm attacking...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jenobi quickly draws his crossbow and fires it at two separate thugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+8)[23]
    on my initiative I will Twin Strike, attacking two separate thugs
    attack 1 (1d20+9)[10]
    damage (1d8)[5]
    attack 2 (1d20+9)[10]
    damage (1d8)[2]
    Random Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Huron's sword lunges into the theifs arm, only stopping at the bone. He recoils in pain, but then aims to smack you against the head with his mace before throwing himself backwards between two of his men, out of the way of the half-dragon marshal. However, Fargrim strikes both of the blocky ruffians down to the ground, the head off a fire gensai flung twelve feet up and into a building, as though this were a game of stick-ball played with a pyro thrower. Meanwhile, with a final twist of his staff, the illusionist blasts down several criminals with a sonic blast, but not without disrupting the momentum of Jenobi's bolts, which tosses them aside as if it were an unseen hand. Finally, the group of blackgaurds rushes the party, their improvised clubs swung with brute strength.

Combat:
    Spoiler
    Show

[roll0] vs. Huron
    Damage: [roll1] plus daze for 1 round.
    [roll2] vs. Sashi
    Damage: 4
    [roll3] vs. Jenobi
    [roll4] vs. Fargrim
    [roll5] vs. Groryc
    [roll6] vs. Shadowbreathe

HP:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thief: 25
    There are 6 thugs left.

28. - Top - End - #118

Combat:
    Spoiler
    Show

Damn rolling system.

(1d20+4)[6] vs. Huron
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9] plus daze for one round.
    (1d20+6)[16] vs. Sashi
    (1d20+6)[21] vs. Sashi
    (1d20+6)[9] vs. Jenobi
    (1d20+6)[13] vs. Fargrim
    (1d20+6)[22] vs. Groryc
    (1d20+6)[24] vs. Shadowbreath

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Initiative: (1d20+4)[15]
    Huron ducks under the blackguards' weapon, letting out a sigh of relief as the strike fails to connect with his body.

Seeing the thugs close in, he follows the retreating thief into combat, his frost blade inscribing wide, twisting arcs in the air around him as he aims to kill the thugs' leader. If he's lucky, it'll distract the brigands long enough to allow the party to reposition itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Encounter Power: Steel Monsoon. Strength versus AC--if it hits, 4 party members can each shift 1 square. I'll use it to move everyone but Fargim, since he's already exactly where he ought to be. Everyone can give themselves a free square of movement on my turn, to either get out of being flanked, or to get into flanking position yourself.

Str vs AC (1d20+10)[17]
    Damage (which I miscalculated last time, due to swapping Eladrin Soldier for Weapon Focus before the campaign began) (2d8+7)[10]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Fargrim smacks aside the attack aimed at him with his shield, immediately turns around and hits the thug that attacked Sashi in the side, spins around again and aims a second swift blow at the leader of the thiefs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Passing Attack, marks both targets
    Hit roll against thug (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage roll against thug (1d10+6)[13]

Hit roll against thief (1d20+11)[24]
    Damage roll against thief (1d10+6)[10]

Note: As Fargrim uses a Lifedrinker weapon, he now has either 5 or 20 temporary hitpoints at the start of the round, depends on if the temporary HP gained from the weapon stack with each other (they do come from the same source).