New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Medieval Fantasy: Rise of the Free Companies

Morrigan

Refilling the stranger's glass before slamming down his own once more, Morrigan laughed broadly. Ach, 'tis no great thing. Me dear ol' mam used ta use this stuff fer quieten' us we ones when we were bein' too brash after bedtime. Works a charm, o'course. Could say it's our second mother's milk.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Raxila

Raxila laughs with Morrigan, her own a bit harsher and more bestial. She pats the bottles on her belt. "He! Hyu tink dis iz schtrong? If Hy giff hyu de real schtrong schtuff, hyu might chust kollapse!"

She turns to Morrigan and raises her glass to salute him. "Dis iz simply divine, tough. Sveeter und betta-tastink ten Jarnbrew, even tough it lacks de right kick to it."

She looks up and sees Olin, Aeryn and Ioan coming through the door and gives a roaring greeting. "K'mon in und take a seat! Dere's enough beer back dere for hall, und enough time dis night to drink our fill!"
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-21 at 03:54 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

(RL: Ioan missed the bit of the ear's flashing, though most of the time he's quite good at seeing things out of the ordinary)

Ioan
    Ioan had on his set of good travelling clothes. Good thick hose of Hodden grey, a Fine, but Worn Linen shirt. His Broad shoulders were covered by another thick wool cloak, gathered with a silver throat broach, and his Pocket was fine tooled leather, and his Belt Knife a fine Bollock Dagger made simply, but well.

When he was hailed by the rather loud and brash Green skinned lady, he grinned back at her.

Adventure, the Exotic.... Ale.... this is more like it.

'Come on Aeyrn, lets get a pint and join them. He cheerfully slapped the slighter Archer, and strode over. Calling the rather young barmaid, and asking for a Pint of the house's brew.

'Good day, I am Ioan Frieberhardt, at your service. he said, as he sat at their table.

When the Young maid brought him his beer, he paid for it, and gave her an extra farthing, with a smile, and ruffeled her hair.

'Ah, kid's. I like Kid's, my kith and kin are numerous enough that I've lost count of those that can call me uncle'

He took a pull of his drink, and smacked his lips.

Well, It could be worse, at least the beer isn't watered down

He took another pull, and placed the tankered back down.
    I thank you for inviting me to your table. I am, as I said, Ioan, this is Aeryn, and Olin. He said, indicating his companions in turn.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Greetings all.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Olin Scott

"Olin, a pleasure"He said with a slightly distanced smile. It had been a while since he had spent any time among groups of people, and the green-skinned woman's cheerful shout made his ears ring.

That and the fact that the two already drinking seemed fit to empty the company's stock of Drink on their first day didn't hurt either.

He smiled at the young lass and ordered a drink as well, paying her with ancient, if still good money from a pouch at his belt.
    Little scamp even bit at the metal to make sure it was good. He thought idly.

Still, she didn't spill a drop,and his mug came foaming and full to the brim. He gave her another smile. Beneath the cheap tables they had seated themselves at he gestured, and the spirit sitting above the brewmaster's Tap sat up drunkenly, its own tiny mug overflowing with Ale. It yawned and banged its mug on the Keg in understanding. The brewmaster and his Get were alright, and worthy of his blessings.

"Spirits bless ya Girl and good fortune on you and yours, now make sure I get another when I'm empty"He paid her for the second glass in advance, and leaned back in his chair, observing the other patrons idly as he drank his first round of alcohol in quite a while....
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

6. - Top - End - #66

RogueGuy

Unnamed

As the new comers approach the table, he throws back another glass of the drink.

One of the new comers spoke -

I thank you for inviting me to your table. I am, as I said, Ioan, this is Aeryn, and Olin. He said, indicating his companions in turn.
    -

(My character) stands, attempts to bow and almost falls over.

Trying to speak through a heavy slur."I . . . . I . . . I'm mumblemuble . . " He then sits back down, looking quite pleased with himself for a job well down and gives the newcomers a pleasant nod.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

*watching those around him getting drunk, and fully expects to be ignored.*
    You know, I think we may need to not drink as much here...we don't want to get in trouble on our first day.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Gaille

Once the tent is up, and his belongings stowed inside, Gaille turns his attention towards the brewmaster's tent, deciding to pay it a visit and invite Petros along.

"Now that that's settled, what say I buy you a glass of wine, if they have it, or at least something cool to wash the dust out? Come on, let us enjoy our last evening before duty commands."

Making his way to the tent, he ducks inside and holds the flap for his new friend. When the young barmaid approaches them, he smiles down at her warmly.

"Some wine for my friend and I, whatever is good... make it your best."
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Raxila

"Hey, knight! Kome und shere a drink or nine vith us! Ve iz a nize heppy party over here, und dere's plenty to drink in de back!"

This greeting being extended, she turns to Morrigan.

"So, Morrigan, hyu got a tent or iz hyu gonna be schleepink out in de kold tonight? Uf kourse, hyu'll be varm on de inside!"
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-22 at 09:39 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Morrigan

Morrigan grinned, the heat of the drink starting to fill his head with that delightful pink haze he associated with good liqour. Och, unless yer invitin' me back to yer tent, lass, I think ay'll be out inna cold tonight.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Raxila

"It's chust dat Hy vas plannink to use de vagon roufs tonight, und Hy kouldn' bear de tought uf Morrigan in de kold mud. Roufs are actually pretty goot beds, vunce hyu learn not to roll over."

She gives Morrigan a drunken grin at her last joke, and prepares to pour herself the last of the whiskey.
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 2008-10-22 at 09:39 PM.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Heinrich

Downing the rest of his wine. He orders another glass, taking it he approaches the other group of soldiers. "Greetings to you. I am Heinrich Schutzbar of House Schutzbar!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

13. - Top - End - #73

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Heinrich

Downing the rest of his wine. He orders another glass, taking it he approaches the other group of soldiers. "Greetings to you. I am Heinrich Schutzbar of House Schutzbar!"
    Unnamed

Shootzbar, thassa funny name forra mana have in a bar . . .
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

And so it continued into the early watches of the night.

The Ironclads' camp began to wake at first light before the dawn. The Horsemaster was up and checking his equine charges, having hay forked down the picket lines and three bushels of oats distributed over the hundred mounts, remounts and sumpter horses of the herd. Fires were stirred to life and built up for breakfast cooking by boys woken early by the watch.

As dawn broke and colored the horizon, soldiers still on watch went through the camp waking anyone not already up and moving. The Captain's leiutenants, given their orders the night before, began sending runners to gather the men they would need or walking to inform them personally, depending on the rank and station of their birth.

"Out from under the wagons! It's time to earn your pay!" A halberdier kicked patiently at the feet of anyone not obviously beginning to move. "Come on, get out of there. You'll be warmer out here as soon as the sun's up anyway."

One of the camp followers' boys ran up to him and tugged on his sleeve, mumbling a message. The halberdier nodded, and banged the butt of his polearm on the wagon in front of him.

"All right, this is for anyone out here from the bunch the Captain picked up yesterday," the solder announced. "You're all to report to his lordship, Lieutenant Deimos -god rest your souls- just after sunrise, so you'd better get a move on. His pavilion is the big blue one right next to the Captain's, and sure as sure I wouldn't be late if I were you."

"Wake up, wake up, wake up," a soldier said in a bored voice, pulling aside the tent flap with the prod of his crossbow. He peeked cautiously to check the decency of the occupants before sticking his head in.

"Who's this then?" he asked rhetorically. "Archer... archer... and foot, most like. All new. All right, you lot report to Lieutenant Deimos 'afore breakfast, and be quick about it if you value your hides."

"Ho, Petros, it's Osgood," a voice called just before someone untied the stiff fabric panel. The giant from the day before peered into the gloom.

"Petros, you -oh, you found a friend." A half-seen grin split the bearded face. "Handy. Wondered where he was. All right, both of you report to Deimos, first thing this morning. He needs outriders." He pulled his head back and let the tent flap close.
    "Might want your armor," he called out, walking away.

"Sir Heinrich?" A voice announced its presence right before it stepped into the doorway of the small lamp-lit pavilion. It was one of the lieutenants who had stood behind Radomir, a dark, thin man in fluted black armor with an aquiline nose and an ugly, puckered scar that ran from the corner of his upper lip down his cheek and jaw and around the side of his neck until it disappeared under his gorget.

"I am Ser Deimos of Ilvia, your commander in your forthcoming assignment," the man said, without preamble or allowing for a response. "You are to report a half-hour after sunrise to my pavilion, armored and under arms. We will depart at noon, today, so make what preparations you desire for your baggage."

And, without waiting for a response, he turned about and left.
    Last edited by Destichado; 2008-10-23 at 01:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

RogueGuy

Unnamed

He rolls out from under a wagon and dusts himself off. Reaches back under and grabs his pack. He walks into the wood just far enough to get some privacy, takes care of his morning business and carefully re-equips the various small daggers he keeps hidden on his body. When he is finished he walks to the meeting and waits quietly.

16. - Top - End - #76

Ioan
    Ioan woke when the light of the sun poked in along with orders

'All right, you lot report to Lieutenant Deimos 'afore breakfast, and be quick about it if you value your hides'

Ioan clutched his head as he got up....
    'Blast me, what we get upto last night?' He rolled out of the wool blanket and cloak he slept in, and quickly got dressed.

'Reckon we need to report in full gear? That's what report alway's meant in my last service.

So, Hung Over, Ioan dressed in his Haubergon, over the gambision of leather and brought out his visorless sallet. One of his Bow's still in the case he brought with him also, and one of the arrow bag's.

He then packed away the rest of his gear, Save for his Hodden Grey cloak, which he donned to keep out the cold fog and mist of the old marshland.

Soon all his equipmet was stowed in bag's, ready to be packed away onto Hund (save the tent).
    ' I reckon we should report sharpish? he said to the other's.

When he walked to the meeting, he was a fair bit better, munching on the heel of a loaf, and a mite of cheese, before standing smartly waiting to be adressed. And Hoping it wasn't punishment for anything he did last night

'was it the singing? I remember the singing.....
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Gaille

Gaille sat up in his bedroll and rubbed his eyes against the light. He remembered staying up a bit too late last night, even with only two cups in him he'd been enjoying the folk entertainments of his fellow soldiers too much to retire until they'd all staggered off to their beds, or whatever served as such. He had consoled himself by saying he was there to keep them out of too much trouble, but he knew the truth. It couldn't be helped, however, and everyone was entitled to some fun now and then, so he simply got out of his bedroll and began a morning ritual.

The bed was rolled up and tied at one end of the tent, he dressed himself and went outside to relieve himself at the jacks. Then he returned to help Petros with get armed and armored in exchange for some help properly donning his own platemail. He donned his sword and daggers, and hung his shield over one shoulder, then collected the rest of his weapons and took them to where Bella was being kept, stowing them near her saddle, to be slung after she was saddled.

Once preparations were complete, he grabbed a bite of gruel, then headed to meet this Deimos.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Raxila

Raxila woke up hearing shouts and orders from below. She groaned - too much of the whiskey last night had her head pounding - and removed the hat slung across her face. Carefully sliding off the wagon roof, she listened to the shouts carefully.

"So, a Lieutenant Deimos, eh? Sounds like a fearzum chap - or as fearzum as dey get here. Vell, no sense vastink time!"

Raxila hurries off to the large blue pavilion to gauge the worth of this Deimos. Hopefully he wouldn't be one of the useless ones...
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

'All right, you lot report to Lieutenant Deimos 'afore breakfast, and be quick about it if you value your hides'

*shaking his head, Aeryn starts to take down the tent*

Alright, let's see what our new employer has for us today, shall we?

*quickly putting the tent onto the mule, Aeryn grabs his other gear and head to Lieutenant Deimos' tent.*
    Last edited by Krrth; 2008-10-23 at 08:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Heinrich

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, stretched his arms and back and forth to relieve himself of any stiffness in the joints. Dressing for battle he dons the chainmail armor of a knight and attaches his sword to his belt and slings the shield over his back. He then carefully unwraps the leather surrounding his poleaxe, resting it on his shoulder and grabbing his helmet tucking it under his arm.

Getting his warhorse from the stablemaster, he hooks the poleaxe and the shield to the steed before leading it to the pavillon. No need to tire the horse out by riding it now. Arriving at the tent he ties the reins to a nearby post and enters.
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Morrigan

Morrigan awoke with a headache screaming inside of his skull and a pounding like highland war-drums in his temples. Splashing his face with cold water, he forced himself up, banging his head on the bottom of a wagon and groaning aloud. Grumbling, he crawled from under the wagon, quickly grabbing his kit. He nodded in acknowledgment to Raxila, giving her a wry grin as he strabbed his weaponry on, ducked off to relieve himself, then fell into step beside the fae as they headed off to see about their new command.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fabric of the Lieutenant's twin-peaked pavilion was so vividly blue that it must have been made with precious indigo dyes. The side panels were decorated with gesso-painted scenes of the faceless Ironclad warrior defending a naked maiden and striking down fantastical monsters in graphic detail. In each panel the same dark-haired maid covered herself with a sword and a heart-shaped pyxis, and the faceless Ironclad wielded a peculiar, short-handled poleaxe with a seven-bladed head.

When they arrived there were already the better part of a dozen men assembled there carrying a mix of crossbows, spears and axes, and one Nordic woman with golden braids and a sword and shield.

The red face of the sun had just crested the hills to the east and began its skyward climb when the Lieutenant swept his way out of his tent.

The man might have been darkly handsome, once, before he received the scar that marred his looks and twisted his lips into a permanent half-snarl. He wore polished black plate worth a fortune from the neck down, and a red military cape hung from the fluted lobstering of his pauldrons.

"I am Ser Deimos of Ilvia," he announced with a growl, "Lieutenant and third in command of the Ironhearts." He glared at the men assembled with an expression of distaste.

"The Captain has accepted a limited contract to escort a caravan of Khergit spice traders north through the Nord-law. As you well know, the "Nord law" is lawless, and the traders are justifiably concerned with the safety of their caravan. Accordingly, The Captain has charged me with its care, and charged you into my care. We march to the port of Wercheg, a distance of over one hundred miles. The Ironclads will march that far in less than four days, with our baggage train." His audience of recruits made noises of alternating awe and disbelief, but Deimos continued. "Since we will be dragging along merchants, it will take us five.

"Along the way, I have been ordered to separate the wheat from the chaff. Including myself, there will be four veteran Ironclads on the march. Petros Meryovic," he said, nodding to the mailled Vaegir. "Horse." He gestured to a nondescript crossbowman fussing with the boiled leather cover of his quarrel box. "Simon Messer, archer. And Yngvild Brandsdottir," he said, and the nord shield-sister inclined her head. "Foot."

Deimos was true to his name, and as he looked out at the twenty under his command, he took on the very aspect of Dread.
    "We will be watching. Any man who cannot keep the pace will be left behind. Any man who wanders off will be left behind. Any man who shirks his duties," he said with fresh harshness, "will be slain. If I have to ride this caravan into Wercheg by myself, I would rather that than let any man into the Ironclads who might stain our honor."

"We march at noon," the Lieutenant said, turning on his heel and striding away. "Any man who would rather go back to this pestilential swamp had better be gone by then."
    Last edited by Destichado; 2008-10-23 at 08:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Aeryn listens and takes a mental note of Simon Messer, assuming the man will most likely be his immediate commander for this "test".

He especially takes note of how the man is equipped.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Morrigan

Morrigan shifted Anbhás on his back into a more comfortable position, eyeing the Nord woman speculatively. She looked tough, and she'd be tougher than she looked to become a veteran in such an outfit. He wondered, since it seemed she was to lead the footsloggers, what she'd be like as a commander.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

*waits until after Ser Deimos has left, then approaches Simon"

Excuse me, Simon Messer? Since you are a veteran, you obviously know how to stay alive and do this right. I was hoping you could help me how to do the same.

26. - Top - End - #86

RogueGuy

Unnamed

He stood observing Deimos during the speech being careful not to let his amusement show. Instead he kept a look of earnest interest on his face. He would have no difficulty keeping up or staying useful.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Raxila

Raxila, like Morrigan, stares at the Nord. However, she's got a wide grin on her face. Ho yes! Another tough 'un, and from the looks of it someone worthy of respect.

After gloomy Deimos gives his speech, she ambles over to Yngvild and gives a tip of the hat to her.

"Goot mornink, mistress! Hy iz Raxila Kaarone, foot soldier onder you able kommund. Hy iz kertain ve'll get along chust fine. Hy iz also a varrior uf de sword und schield, und Hy vas vonderink chust how goot hyu iz vith you arms."
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Olin Scott

Olin yawned quietly into his hand as he listened to Deimos's speech. The man was a bore, though the spirits in the large tent moved with military precision. Even the Brownie sweeping in the corner was wearing a chainmail vest, it's brown head wearing a wooden Ironclad's mask.

He had rolled out of bed considerably more sober than the others, in part thanks to drinking only enough to give him that pleasant drunk buzz, and part due to the fact he was used to turning in late and waking early.

So, like most of the others he arrived if not in peak condition, but dressed, awake, and his elongated boar-spear against his shoulder, tilted at a far angle to keep it from slicing open the Lord's fancy tent.

He raised an eyebrow at the shield-sister, and gave a polite nod, though he couldn't get into a good range to speak with her just yet, the massive, green-skinned woman blocking his way.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

29. - Top - End - #89

Heinrich

Returning to his tent, he collects the sumpter horse from the horsemaster and finds the camp follower who had originally unpacked his tent and pays her another denar to have her and her children pack it up and the rest of the supplies to be carried by the horse.

Tying the reins of the sumpter horse to his steed he is prepared for the march ahead of him deciding it would be best to take with him all his equipment so that it does not get lost or misplaced in the baggage train.

30. - Top - End - #90

RogueGuy

Unnamed

He stays and quietly observes the others. He tries to get a feel for those around him, both the other greenhorns as well as the veterans.