New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foog Campaign

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Foog Campaign

Autumn. Late morning. Outskirts of Findal.

Spoiler
    Show

Townsfolk and livestock have been going missing from the small town of Findal for the past few weeks. It has been mostly been kept quiet until recently when the magistrate's 7 year old daughter went missing as well. He has offered a reward of 1000 gold for the return of his beloved daughter. Locals have indicated that the supposedly cursed grove to the east would be a good place to start looking.

Overall 12 villagers are missing with the earliest being 3 weeks ago and the latest disappearance being the magistrates daughter 2 nights ago.

The dirt road stopped here. Before you lies a grove of dark and twisted trees where it seems even the morning sunlight is afraid to enter. Dangling from the tree branches in front of you, you can see dead and decaying corpses of squirrels and birds dangling from strings made of plant root. The words of the old village crone you spoke to in Findal echo back as you stand before the ominous sight...

"It's those damned woods by the cliffs I tell you. That's where you'll find your missing townsfolk. The evil there is so thick you can taste it in the air. The trees themselves turn vicious and strangle the animals that don’t know better than to go in there. They say a cursed Seeress dwells in those woods, cursed by the very lover she had hoped to enchant. Those people are better off dead if you ask me.” She had said while spitting occasionally to ward off bad luck.

You'll be wanting some charms if you’re heading into there." She had said while holding up some dirty wooden pendants attached to some string. “2 silver a piece. Well worth the money to fend off the cursed spirits you’re bound to face while you’re in there.

There looks to be a faint trail running south towards the cliffs that overlook the coastline.

Spoiler
    Show

Kagan and Caladyr, you notice a something small and pink by a log about 40 feet into the trail.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-10-17 at 05:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Foog Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Krezzlar View Post
    Autumn. Late morning. Outskirts of Findal.

You'll be wanting some charms if you’re heading into there." She had said while holding up some dirty wooden pendants attached to some string. “2 silver a piece. Well worth the money to fend off the cursed spirits you’re bound to face while you’re in there.
    Moltor peers closely at the charms, trying to tell if there is anything magical about them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana roll (unless the DM wants to make that as an informational roll) (1d20+6)[14]

If they are, he says, "I'll give ye three silver for two of 'em." If not, he tries to catch the eye of any party members who might look interested, frowning and shaking his head to warn them off.
    Last edited by Chuk; 2008-10-17 at 10:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The pendents look to be regular wood, twisted into odd shapes. You detect no magic in them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

KALERAS

Dangling from the tree branches in front of you, you can see dead and decaying corpses of squirrels and birds dangling from strings made of plant root.
    "I wonder if that old crone was accurate when she described the ambulatory fauna in the area. Any knots in the roots that suspend these carcasses in a rather macabre display here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll = (1d20+7)[23]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Caladyr makes a disgusted look at the charms, and walks over to the mysterious pink object he sees by the log. He bends down and peers at it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kagan

Walks over to inspect the pink object, ignoring the old crone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show

In case I wasn't clear, the crone was a flashback to a conversation in Findal. She's not actually here with you in front of the woods.

Kaleras notes knots in the strings of root, one fastening the root to the branch and another around the creature it is attached to.

Caladyr and Kagan head into the grove to the object and discover that is a single pink woolen slipper apparently dropped along the trail. The slipper is about the proper size for the magistrate's daughter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kaleras notes knots in the strings of root, one fastening the root to the branch and another around the creature it is attached to.
    KALERAS
    Points at the knots and says, "So much for the cursed forest. Looks like something with thumbs hung these creatures here."

The wizard then raises his hands. With slender Eladrin fingers he pulls open a small hole in some imaginary cobweb. Poking his face through, his eyes dart from side to side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana to Detect Magic (1d20+11)[24]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Moltor

Moltor watches the discovery of the slipper with interest. He cuts down a few of the tied animals while the others look for tracks.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Brazzil

*Silently whispering a prayer to Moradin, Brazzil breathes deeply and begins checking the conditions of the ground near where the animals were strung*

Thur' might be a bit o' somethin' left behind if yer thoughts are right, Kaleras.

*Brazzil checks the conditions of the trunks, bushes and grounds around the trees for any evidence*
    Last edited by Mahchoo; 2008-10-20 at 08:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[22] Insight roll

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The flies buzz around the group as you examine the corpses. The smell of rotting flesh is heavy in the air.

Kaleras sees nothing mystical in the immediate area.

Moltor's examination of the animals shows no obvious cause of death.

Brazzil notes that while the surrounding area is thick in foliage, oddly enough, there appears to be no trace left by whoever strung up these creatures.

Kagan and Caladyr note multiple footprints heading south along the small dirt trail the pink slipper was found near.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kaleras

"No sign of thumb-wielders by these animals, Brazzil? Mayhaps a skilled woodsman was able to convince the brush-sprites to settle back to normal after he had hung these poor creatures," spake the wizard.

"Of course, I may be completely wrong. It's certainly happened once before," admitted the deflated Eladrin.

"But, whatever! Kagan and Caladyr seem to have come across our way to adventure! Let's head that way," Kaleras said, pointing to the south, "with you burly folk in the lead!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kagan

Starts following the footprints into the forest while keeping a lookout for anything suspicious.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Brazzil

Aye, aye. Waiting about only makes the road much longer.

*hefts his mace and holy symbol, peers into the foliage of the forest and steps in line*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Moltor

Moltor also follows the rest, placing one hand briefly on his rod, as if to check that it's still there.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Into the Woods

As the party heads deeper into the woods, the trees grow thicker and sunlight ever more scarce. Flies buzz all around you, harassing all except Torgun. The hanging animals grow less frequent as you follow the trail but never disappear entirely. As you journey south, you hear the sounds of the ocean crashing against the rocky coastline grow ever louder.

Almost without warning, you find a small clearing ahead of you. In the center of the clearing stands a truly immense decaying tree. At the base of the tree, you can spot hole dug into the ground, wide enough to fit two at a time. A harsh smell emits from the gaping maw, a mix of decaying plant matter and flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Party order please if you're descending into the caverns.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kaleras

"Can everyone see in the dark?" asks Kaleras, getting a Light spell ready for a small rock he just grabbed from the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    I bravely take the anchor spot of not-quite-the-rear

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Brazzil

"I was born of this"
    ...Brazzil mutters as he slips in next to meat of the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Brazzil will stay close to the fighters of the group, probably third in the line of order.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Caladyr

Caladyr nocks an arrow to his bow, and takes the middle position.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vohlthreg View Post
    Kaleras

"Can everyone see in the dark?" asks Kaleras, getting a Light spell ready for a small rock he just grabbed from the ground.
    Moltor

"Aye," answers Moltor. He checks the sides of the hole, making sure they don't look like they're going to collapse, then takes a position near the rear of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll]Dungeoneering roll
    Last edited by Chuk; 2008-10-23 at 11:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[11] Stupid no editing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Torgun draws his greatsword and clanks up towards the hole.

"Shall we?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Into the Roots

Spoiler
    Show

Putting Kagan in the front since I figure once the geography of the area is discovered, him being in the front makes most sense.

With careful steps, you descend down the portal at the base of the tree. The ground is slick with moss and lichen and you get the sense any running would be tricky in these conditions. The moss however seems to give off a slight glow helping to amplify the other light sources you’ve brought.

Once you hit the bottom, Kaleras’ glowing rock reveals a tunnel with walls of hardened dirt and roots. There is the sound of rushing water and of squeeking coming from ahead. Heading down the corridor, you see a large cavern with a swift underground stream running through the middle of it. You are also greeted by a swarm of beady red eyes turning your way in the darkness.

Raising the glowing stone up high, you note more than a dozen abnormally large rats swarming over about 6 bodies on the other side of the river. The rats quickly shift their attention from their meal and start heading your way…

Spoiler
    Show

Yellow = ramp you came in on
    Black = Thick piece of tree root (impassable)
    Blue = Swift flowing river (difficult terrain, make save or knocked prone if you end your turn in a river square)

Anything over 6 squares away is considered in concealment (12 squares for those with low-light vision)

Roll Initiative and roll for actions

D Rats (1d20+2)[13]
    G Rats (1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-10-25 at 05:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kaleras

Kaleras considers a moment, then attempts some high-flying heroics!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Check (1d20+5)[14]

Dungeoneering roll to identify the difference between D and G rats (page 180, PHB, No action needed) (1d20+7)[24]

Er, in case you are requiring a Nature roll (which I hope you're not!) due to their creature type: Nature (1d20+2)[10]

(I would like to make a roll next round to figure out the rats' natural predator.)

I move 6 squares due east, towards the river. (Move action)

Then I cast magic missile at the southwesterly-most rat: Int v. Ref (1d20+4)[6] with Damage of (2d4+4)[8] (Attack action)

I will then summon a mage hand that will grab my glowing stone. (Minor action)

If my initiative allows me to move in front of the tanks, I would like to hold my action and restrict my movement to allow the tanks to go first. However, I will be more than happy to fire asap!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Moltor steps forward to the side, seeming to sink into the shadows as he does so, and calls out to the stars, invoking a curse upon one of the rodents of unusual size. A bright beam of light shines down from above on to one of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+0)[11]
    Move action to square G6, Shadow Walk to gain concealment until end of my next turn
    Minor action, Warlock's Curse on the enemy currently in O6 (unless one moves closer to me before then)
    Standard action, attack that same enemy with Dire Radiance:
    Con vs. Fort (1d20+4)[21] Damage if hits (1d6+4)[10], extra damage if it moves closer to me on its next turn (1d6+4)[6]
    Moltor Character sheet

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Rodents of Unusual Size

Kaleras's Dungeoneering Roll:
    Spoiler
    Show

The D rats look bigger (about the size of a wolf) and tougher (higher FORT than REF) while the G rats are smaller (about the size of a fox) and quicker (higher REF than FORT). The big ones are often carriers of highly contagious diseases so those with weaker immune systems best be wary. Both should be excellent swimmers and should have little trouble with the river. You've heard of encounters with rats like these in caves and sewers before although rarely in these kinds of numbers.

Unfortunately more knowledge will require a Nature roll.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kagan

Kagan moves forward towards the beady red eyes and waits.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative Roll (1d20)[3]

Nature Roll to learn more! (Knowledge Check, no action necessary, phb pg. 180) (1d20+5)[21]

Move to K7

Ready Valiant Strike to attack the first enemy to move adjacent to me.
    Standard Action:
    Attack Roll (1d20+7)[8] (+4 Str, +1 Adjacent Enemy per Valiant Strike, +2 Prof)
    Damage Roll (1d12+4)[8]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Brazzil

*hoisting his holy symbol and warhammer, Brazzil readies himself*

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[11] - Initiative

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Into the Fray

The swarm of vermin surge forward, crossing the fast flowing water with ease. Kagan advances but is soon met with a wall of wet fur and flashing teeth. The minotaur brings his axe down, missing one rat and leaving a dent in the ground. Kaleras follows up behind him firing a silvery from his finger tips but missing the closest rat high. Moltor advances cloaked in shadows to the left flank and summons of pillar of light that scorches one of the large rats leaving him (or her) a smoking corpse.

Spoiler
    Show

Kagan knows that the rats have few natural predators although giant spiders and snakes will often prey on them. Bears have also been known to hunt them occasionally. They are often used by kobolds or troglodytes in their hunting parties.

Brazzil, Torgun and Caladyr still have to act this round.
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2008-10-28 at 01:29 AM.