New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, thread VI, Wyrd Snarksters

Well, I was reading everyone's favorite dwarf related strip when suddenly a strange blurb popped up in the corner of my screen...

Last edited by Phase; 2008-10-23 at 02:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

New strip.

I KNEW IT! I ****ING KNEW IT!

BROOKLYN RAGE!
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-23 at 02:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone slayed that panel with that exact same punch line . . .

4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Link to strip with date attached. For achival purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    I KNEW IT! I ****ING KNEW IT!
    What about, the demise of Dex's beard?

And stick to Myyeh. It's all you're good for.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Must. Resist. Bukake. Joke.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

The cake is a lie, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    What about, the demise of Dex's beard?
    No, the naked pull-up thing. (Well, he was wearing shorts and shoes, but still ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi
    And stick to Myyeh. It's all you're good for.
    Myyeh?
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-23 at 02:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Must. Resist. Bukake. Joke.
    Mustn't.

Spoiler
    Show
    a secret to everybody.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

What, have these people never heard of alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    Mustn't.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elflad, you're a monster. I like that.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-23 at 02:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #459

GnomeWizardGuy

No, the naked pull-up thing. (Well, he was wearing shorts and shoes, but still ...)
    I think we'd have been more shocked if he hadn't been doing pull-ups. I guess we were all on tenderhooks about what the surprising thing was. I was hoping for an indecent chest tattoo.

Myyeh?
    Is there an accepted spelling for Joey's true catch-phrase now?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

you were his silent companion
    embracing cheeks like dew on a flower
    for a time you were a bizarre looking beard
    but under, you were always there,
    stubbly, a dotting of hair
    differentiating you from the Dominus
    you will be sorely missed ~~ Ode to Dex's Beard
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Have you noticed how Dex looks a lot like Dominic (with neater hair and no glasses) now that he's shaved? It's probably due to Mookie's drawing ability, but still I can't help noticing it.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YHuntressE View Post
    Have you noticed how Dex looks a lot like Dominic (with neater hair and no glasses) now that he's shaved? It's probably due to Mookie's drawing ability, but still I can't help noticing it.

It's been pointed out in comic. Someone else will probably post a link (it will not be me, for I am lazy).

Anyways. I am intrigued by the reoccurance of Cake Lady. She served cake to Snowsong (at the behest of Dominic) and now serves cake to the despondent Dex and Greg. At first she seemed like a typical red shirt fifth caste, what with her serving position and lack of name, but her reappearance and more clearly defined role give her traits atypical of the species.

She's also had contact with the first caste, Lord Dominus. He saw fit to use her in his schemes. This gives her added importance.

Perhaps the cake is a concentrated form of the Deegan Drug, much like Marvpel. Dominic has instructed Cake Lady to serve it to the citizens of Barthis to keep them especially compliant. After all, he did just leave on vacation, and needed to keep the citizens drugged. If a person is stressed or unhappy she has been ordered to give them free cake, in order to restore them to Lord Dominus's control and ensure order. If one is unhappy, one might seek to change things.

Pam's strange behavior may be due to not eating enough cake. Perhaps she doesn't like cake, or is dieting. Or, as suggested by someone else (let me look the archives, hold on), she has seen through this nonsense and refuses to eat the cake.

Must not say anything about the cake being a lie. Not funny anymore. Must not say it. Must not say it.
    Fangly my dear, I don't give a damn.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am SO in favour of Pam and Greg's breakup, you have no idea.
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YHuntressE View Post
    I didn't notice it at first, but when you line unshaved Dex and Dominic side by side, they do look a lot alike. They've got the same hairstyle and face; in fact, the only thing differentiating them is Dominic's glasses. Looking at the colour comics, I can also say that their hair colour is nearly the same.

Now, bodywise, Dex is a lot more muscular than Dominic, who has the physique of a skinny nerd.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-23 at 03:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465

GnomeWizardGuy

So are we heading for a Long Lost Twin plot, or a Prince and the Pauper plot?

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Fangly View Post

Must not say anything about the cake being a lie. Not funny anymore. Must not say it. Must not say it.
    Of course.

The cake is a pie.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

As Fangly wrote before, Dominic and Dex looking alike is something the characters in the comic itself have talked about, shortly after the Storm of Souls arc ended, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, by the way, as far as Pam not being qualified for her post is concerned - if I'm not mistaken in the past she has been praised for how well she managed and what she had done for the town.

As for the Cake Lady, I see her reoccurrence as a vindication of the Caste System - because she does have a name, it was mentioned at the end of the Snowsong arc (I'm not going to look it up, IIRC it was Betty). I had been wondering how a Fifth Caste character could have a name for quite a while now, and considered it just an unimportant anomaly, but as we can see it's not that - she's just a very, very minor Second Caste character, on about the same level as the majority of Dominic's students.

Today's comic: Well, we called the "surprise twist", though I wonder what kind of people it takes to react with shock when seeing somebody shaved or changed their appearance otherwise (in other words: Pam's reaction yesterday is idiotic).
    Speaking of idiotic, what a poor decision, Mookie - you knew they looked alike, and you still decided to do that?
    Of course this is almost guaranteed to be used in Dominic's next plan, where one imposes for the other, thus simultaneously fulfilling Mookie's cliche and his recycle stuff from previous arcs quota.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #468
    Orc in the Playground

Hm... not only is Pam's reaction far too over the top for someone getting a shave, but I also realized that this can't be the first time she sees him shaved (ie, sans stubble). Considering that he semi-recently had a beard, going from beard to stubble requires either a few days of being clean shaved, or some seriously impressive skills with the razor (which I suppose would also be needed for someone to maintain a stubble for months and years).

So I guess Mookie simply forgot that Dex ever had a beard...
    Last edited by Doompuppy; 2008-10-23 at 04:09 AM.
    Not a robot

19. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    because she does have a name, it was mentioned at the end of the Snowsong arc (I'm not going to look it up, IIRC it was Betty).
    Damn you and your compatriots' encyclopedic knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind
    T
    Speaking of idiotic, what a poor decision, Mookie - you knew they looked alike, and you still decided to do that?
    Of course this is almost guaranteed to be used in Dominic's next plan, where one imposes for the other, thus simultaneously fulfilling Mookie's cliche and his recycle stuff from previous arcs quota.

At first I recoiled in horror.

Then, I found hope.

So Dex has been fired for being a resistant. So Dominic, who looks exactly like Dex, pads his shirt and pretends to be the ex-sheriff. Now someone can cast a spell on Dom as Dex, making it seem as if Dex is not resistant and he gets his job.

And the spell is Fireball to the Groin.
    Fangly my dear, I don't give a damn.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fangly View Post
    So Dex has been fired for being a resistant. So Dominic, who looks exactly like Dex, pads his shirt and pretends to be the ex-sheriff. Now someone can cast a spell on Dom as Dex, making it seem as if Dex is not resistant and he gets his job.
    Dom: Alright, this Dex outfit is a perfect disguise! This will get my twin brother back his job. Now, Luna ... use your most devastating spell on me!
    Luna: I cast "Summon Dwarf!"
    Dom: Wait, what? (POW!) ARGH!!!!
    Rillian: (Suddenly appears) And so the world is safe once again.
    Luna: What? You were watching the whole time?
    Rillian: Indeed I was.
    Luna: You just like seeing Dom punched in the junk, don't you?
    Rillian: Indeed I do.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-10-23 at 04:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The joke was good today, the rest was meh.

We learn once again that sweets solve all problems. I should be eating more. Wait, I don't have any problems - that must be why I am so skinny without doing any sports.

Anyway, I'm sad for the beard, it gave Dex a distinct look. But as has been pointed out, this was probably needed to make him look like Dominic; sadly, Mookie doesn't know the meaning of subtlety, so he has to make two comics dedicated to the Beard (that's capital!) so that every last idiot notices that this might possibly somewhat important for the plot.

"What, they are going to pose as each other? no wai!"

I am predicting that Dex will pose as Dominic in order to catch some evil assassination attempt, because he is, you know, RESISTANT.

Simon

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paragraph View Post
    Anyway, I'm sad for the beard, it gave Dex a distinct look. But as has been pointed out, this was probably needed to make him look like Dominic
    Of course! The twisted path of "Evolution" in dominion does nothing to optimize the creature to its surroundings, but to instead become more like the Dominus! Dex is in many ways near the pinnacle of Dominion evolution, but, being a conformed Jock, still needs to mate with someone of much greater magical power, overriding his unfortunate resistance.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ok, so ignoring the whole "this is so absolutely idiotic and Mookie has absolutely crushed the bits of in-character that Pam and Dex had". To the graphics.

Mookie sacrificed Dex's one defining graphical trait, the beard/ stubble, in favour of a cheap cliffhanger joke. I can see his thought process: "Hey, Dex overhears the practice lines, how do I make use of that? I know, I'll make it look like he's hanged himself, but he'll just be doing pull-ups! Hmm, but why would Pam be shocked by that? Let's see... make him naked! Cool, but a bit unrealistic. I know, shave his beard, that'll be like OHMYGODWTHNOBEARD!!! Yeah! Oh, and I may as well use the naked thing too. Kudos me!"*

Notice though, that when shaved, Dex has a completely different shape of chin. While before he had a rounded, more mature chin, now he has the classic "jag" shape of a Dominion youngster. Also his head has shrunk considerably (or maybe that's just his muscles expanding without the constraint of his special sheriff's black jacket.

*Mookie-bolding courtesy of the house
    That Belkar. As stubborn as he is stone cold sexy.

Still a Belkar fan.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kukn View Post
    *Mookie-bolding courtesy of the house
    I wonder... if one took a DD strip, once with Mookie's original bolding, and once with totally random bolding (excluding prepositions, auxiliaries and alike), would people be able to identify which is which?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #475
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I actually enjoyed the joke today. I can't say the same for the 'yet another example of Mookie doing the fake surprise thing'.

Actually, I'm not sure I can even call it that, since I'm almost certain that Mookie makes up each and every comic on the day, so this is probably just an example of him changing his mind about having a big surprise.

Or is it option C - that Mookie for some reason thinks that every comic should have eight panels and end in a punchline or, failing that, a cliffhanger of some sort (the big problem here being that he can't write jokes, and can't resolve suspense).

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

What, have these people never heard of alcohol?
    I think that so far, we've only seen Orcs drowning their sorrows in alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    As Fangly wrote before, Dominic and Dex looking alike is something the characters in the comic itself have talked about, shortly after the Storm of Souls arc ended, if I'm not mistaken.
    Someone even said that "it's the hair".
    I love how Mookie sometimes makes fun of his own artistic failures, probably without even noticing.
    I think the whole Oracle Hunter arc was dedicated to this.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I think that so far, we've only seen Orcs drowning their sorrows in alcohol.
    No, no, Luna did it too during the Class Action arc and I think all of them went on a drinking binge before one big battle somewhere in the comic, but now drowning your sorrows in alcohol is a bad thing because it damages the integrity of the drink. The integrity of Orcs can't be damaged and they can therefore drink themselves into a stupor as often as they want.
    Last edited by InkEyes; 2008-10-23 at 09:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    No, no, Luna did it too during the Class Action arc and I think all of them went on a drinking binge before one big battle somewhere in the comic, but now drowning your sorrows in alcohol is a bad thing because it damages the integrity of the drink.
    Of course you're right, but I think the only one who did it out of depression was Luna, and that wasn't in the comic. (I think she admitted as much when going out with Melna.)

The integrity of Orcs can't be damaged and they can therefore drink themselves into a stupor as often as they want.
    Naturally. Orcs may not know how to solve their problems and resort to alcohol because of it, but, hell, are they awesome.

(We should, however, do our best to help them where they clearly can't help themselves. I call this the Pink Man's Burden.)
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2008-10-23 at 09:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

(We should, however, do our best to help them where they clearly can't help themselves. I call this the burden of the pink man.)
    Ironically, in the context of Dominion, this cannot even be considered racist, to the contrary - it simply means the Caste System works for them just as it does for everyone else.

(them being higher in Caste as a race than Callanians is a different matter entirely)
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Today's strip is a picture-perfect depiction of Narm.

Seriously though, why does Mookie do such stupid twists?

"I called him my brother because he is... my brother-in-law... once you two actually get married... sometime."

Though I am amused by the past panel. Good slay times too, I'm sure
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad