New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, thread VI, Wyrd Snarksters

You know what's weird, I can imagine dominic deegan, the animated series being cool if someone else rewrote it a bit and ended in the storm of souls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    No, it'd still be terrible. Such is the Zen Mastery of Mookie.
    My God. It all makes sense now.
    a secret to everybody.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

You know what's weird, I can imagine dominic deegan, the animated series being cool if someone else rewrote it a bit and ended in the storm of souls.
    You could rework DD very easily to not suck. All it takes is a reboot... heck, I wrote down the storyboard in an old thread.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #574
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Oh, trust me, I feel the same way.

Here's my list of Dominic Deegan characters that I want to survive:

1. Groin Puncher
    2. Spark
    3. Ernie

(Canon characters only.)
    I've also developed a fondness for this guy (also seen here), who I've affectionately dubbed "Chuck."

You know, reading through the early strips really makes me appreciate how much more satisfying Luna used to be. She was enthusiastic, hopeful, and even had a little bit of sass at times-overall an excellent foil for Dominic. Luna now has lost all of that, probably since at least before "Class Action." (My memory's a bit fuzzy.) It's as if all the life has just been sucked out of her. Her personality change looks so much like what happens to young people when they get married prematurely, to the wrong person. This has to be subconscious on Mookie's part, but it just fits so well.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think the War in Hell arc would make a better series ending if only to open up with a follow up series. But I imagine that would be hard to make for children unless you want to go the Dragonball Z route and edit out all the blood and flying limbs.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scaly View Post
    I think the War in Hell arc would make a better series ending if only to open up with a follow up series. But I imagine that would be hard to make for children unless you want to go the Dragonball Z route and edit out all the blood and flying limbs.
    And, y'know, the raping for goodness.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

It's already been covered by Johny Blade in his "War In Heck" slay.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    And, y'know, the raping for goodness.
    Well obviously that. I tend to ignore what the public harps most about though.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Barbarian in the Playground

No, it'd still be terrible. Such is the Zen Mastery of Mookie.
    If a terrible webcomic is published on the internet and no one is around to read it, is it still terrible?

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

(also seen here),
    Another thing to note - some of those questions are perfectly reasonable, yet are displayed as somehow... bad by Mookie, just because he is not interested in that kind of stuff. Like, who is going to win a match? Hey, some people happen to be interested in sports - I'm not (unless StarCraft counts ), and Mookie is not, but that's no reason to deride fans, who invest a great part of their life into that sport, and to such a person this would be an important question. Whether a person likes someone? One of the most important questions there are. And the clown's question are clearly the self-doubts of a vulnerable individual who has no confidence in his ability to do what he does. These being an example of stuff that annoys Dominic does not speak well of him.

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    If a terrible webcomic is published on the internet and no one is around to read it, is it still terrible?
    Yes.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #581
    Banned

[QUOTE=averagejoe;5166431](also seen here)
    Why does that clown only have four fingers?

In fact, why does a modern-day clown even exist in this fantasy period story?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Another thing to note - some of those questions are perfectly reasonable, yet are displayed as somehow... bad by Mookie, just because he is not interested in that kind of stuff. Like, who is going to win a match? Hey, some people happen to be interested in sports - I'm not (unless StarCraft counts ), and Mookie is not, but that's no reason to deride fans, who invest a great part of their life into that sport, and to such a person this would be an important question. Whether a person likes someone? One of the most important questions there are. And the clown's question are clearly the self-doubts of a vulnerable individual who has no confidence in his ability to do what he does. These being an example of stuff that annoys Dominic does not speak well of him.

Yes.
    Well I don't think that anyone will try to deny that Dominic is an arrogant jerk. Plus the whole 'only you can save everything' stuff that's happened must make this seem pretty...petty to him.

Edit: Wait...that clown DOES have four fingers!
    Last edited by Mr. Scaly; 2008-10-24 at 03:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Orc in the Playground

Did the one lady move to Barthis from Lynn's Brook in the interim?

Because the one there says 'still.'

14. - Top - End - #584

Quote Originally Posted by Fangly View Post
    So. They have divorce in Dominion. Which means Dex has an ex-wife. Who will undoubtedly will make an appearance at some point.
    Which characters have been announced but not introduced yet?
    -Mosley
    -Huk Thak
    -Ethelia
    -Trumpet and the other guy from Donovan's old band

The logical choice would be Ethelia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want to point out that these are the first two strips that Dex appeared in... just for reference and counterpoint... here is today's.

I think I have a new theory... Michael Terracciano used to be pro womens' lib, and believed himself to be generally for equality in all things. To some extent, he was even right. Then a woman broke his heart and without realizing it, he began to hate women. Still believing himself to be liberal and enlightened on the matter, he subconsciously becomes more and more angry and vindictive towards his female characters as time goes by. He still believes himself to be pro womens' lib, and that blinds him to his own misogyny.

This would explain why we all hate Luna by this point... he's remanufactured her into the shape of the ideal mouthpiece for all his anger at women. She's become a strawman.

EDIT: I just read that first comic closer... Four drinks in three hours and they left pissed drunk? What were they drinking, mugs of everclear?
    Last edited by Jerthanis; 2008-10-24 at 03:46 PM.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

16. - Top - End - #586

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    I just want to point out that these are the first two strips that Dex appeared in... just for reference and counterpoint... here is today's.
    Nah, actually we see Dex here and here first.

EDIT: I just read that first comic closer... Four drinks in three hours and they left pissed drunk? What were they drinking, mugs of everclear?
    This may explain why people are eating cake instead of drinking alcohol. The stuff they sell in Barthis is far too potent.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

*facepalm* of course! Celesto and/or TIM will mistake Dex for Dominic. If it's TIM, then Dex is a dead man, since being resistant to magic doesn't make you resistant to stabbing.

And if it's Celesto, then Mookie will have achieved Super Hack XXXI
    Hmm.

Celesto mistakes Dex for Dominic. Fight occurs, with Celesto mistaking the resistance for clever countermagic or something; either that or we get a not-so-different speech and the join the dark side spiel that goes with it.

Everybody complains. EVERYBODY.

Mookie reveals, with no foreshadowing (whether it's backpedaling or not, like every other post-complaint reveal, will be unknown) that Celesto, being a seer, knew Dex was Dex all along and was trying to trick them into thinking he was tricked to buy time while he charged his spirit-bombsuper-chaos-seer-spell-of-doom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    TOE is from Riceboy and Order of Tales, two webcomics by Evan Dahm that can be found at http://riceboy.jho-tan.com/index.html. TOE is copyright Evan Dahm.

TOE avatar by me, my first use of Inkscape - suggestions to improve are always welcome.

18. - Top - End - #588

Hey, apparently, it isn't the first time Greg wants to see the Rachex (or Dachel?) ship.

What if Greg had manipulated Pam so that she'll fire Dex so that he'll be vulnerable to his suggestion of going to see Rachel? He is Dominic's brother after all!

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    What if Greg had manipulated Pam so that she'll fire Dex so that he'll be vulnerable to his suggestion of going to see Rachel? He is Dominic's brother after all!
    He also posseses mental capabilities of a stunned hedgehog and is therefore incapable of coming up with something this complex.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

Then a woman broke his heart and without realizing it, he began to hate women. Still believing himself to be liberal and enlightened on the matter, he subconsciously becomes more and more angry and vindictive towards his female characters as time goes by. He still believes himself to be pro womens' lib, and that blinds him to his own misogyny.
    I believe he has a new 'lady-friend' now, which I only know because he randomly put up a picture of him and some woman kissing on the beach during one of his picture posting updates. That and I believe to be the same woman with his cat.

It seems odd that he would have vindictiveness towards women in his comic because he lost his girl-friend when he seems to be seeing another one.

Of course, saying that he has a girl-friend makes him not a misogynist is like the "But I have X friends, so I'm not a Xist!"

But generally I think that deducing things about an author from his writing, especially when making such strong claims like calling him a woman hater, is going a bit too far. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and all that.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scaly View Post
    Let the guts explode! I'm ready for it!
    Abandon all hope.
    Gregory is first caste.
    Rachel will be the new sheriff of Barthis.
    Dex is immune.
    No exploding guts.

I've also developed a fondness for this guy (also seen here), who I've affectionately dubbed "Chuck."
    He may live.

Quote Originally Posted by InkEyes View Post
    This one? Certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Another thing to note - some of those questions are perfectly reasonable, yet are displayed as somehow... bad by Mookie, just because he is not interested in that kind of stuff. Like, who is going to win a match? Hey, some people happen to be interested in sports - I'm not (unless StarCraft counts ), and Mookie is not, but that's no reason to deride fans, who invest a great part of their life into that sport, and to such a person this would be an important question.
    Ah, but knowing the result in advance would take all the excitement out of it. Dominic knows that.
    Whether a person likes someone? One of the most important questions there are.
    Again, knowing it in advance would just ruin it. Dominic knows that.
    And the clown's question are clearly the self-doubts of a vulnerable individual who has no confidence in his ability to do what he does.
    Yet he was right not to tell him. This clown, vulnerable as he may be, has to find the strength needed to succeed within himself. If he doesn't, he will never overcome his weakness. Dominic knows that.
    These being an example of stuff that annoys Dominic does not speak well of him.
    You may consider yourself enlightened now.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Looking back, Deegan should've ended at Storm of Souls. I don't think it dropped in quality immediately afterwards, but Storm of Souls was definitely a great place to end it. If Mookie had wanted to keep it going for the money or the fans, he should've started up a new strip taking place in the same world but starring new characters. He could've used it as a chance to improve his art a bit (i.e. no cheek teeth for starters), and to realize that bolding words at random is annoying.

I can still look back at the earlier years and like the strips, which makes Mookie's "Let's see how much I can run this strip into the ground" attitude over the last few years to be especially strange to me.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    But generally I think that deducing things about an author from his writing, especially when making such strong claims like calling him a woman hater, is going a bit too far. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and all that.
    Fair enough... but reading this comic I see more and more misogyny cropping up and I can't think of a reason that Mookie, who once came off as anvilicious in his anti-misogyny could write something like today's comic without having something snap within him.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough... but reading this comic I see more and more misogyny cropping up and I can't think of a reason that Mookie, who once came off as anvilicious in his anti-misogyny could write something like today's comic without having something snap within him.
    I don't think anything in the comic could be used for the argument that Mookie is misogynistic, at least not in the stronger senses of the word. Yes, Mookie often portrays his female characters as being weak and unstable, and that having a man around fixes most of their problems, BUT I don't think this shows that Mookie holds either hatred or contempt for women.

Now, if the question is whether or not Mookie has sexist tendencies in his writing, I think the the answer is more clear. His writing tends to ascribe certain unflattering characteristics to female characters but I doubt this is something he does "intentionally" (that is, with the intention of portraying all women as weak and unstable).

In fact, I think any sort of sexism you see in Mookie's writing stems from him being a bad writer. He seems unable to define his characters in any meaningful sense, which leaves us with a bunch of flat characters that can only exhibit blunt emotions. Such a writing style is highly likely to result in characters who sound unstable (particularly in the emotional sense), and it just so happens that many of his Second Caste characters are female.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

You could rework DD very easily to not suck. All it takes is a reboot... heck, I wrote down the storyboard in an old thread.
    do you still have it?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    do you still have it?
    Ja, iz here.

Maybe not quite "storyboards" but pretty darn detailed, if I do say so myself

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    He also posseses mental capabilities of a stunned hedgehog and is therefore incapable of coming up with something this complex.
    Unless...

What if Gregory is actually a super-genius? After all, both the Dominus and Jacob are immensely powerful. Maybe the reason Greg seems like such a complete moron is that Dominic has been spending so much time "guiding" him that his brain shut down entirely.

Since the vacation started, however, no one's been stopping him, and Greg's long-quiet intellect started to click together. Pam noticed his increased intelligence, and her proven lack of patience with such "guidance" is why she dumped him - but too late to stop the "need to fire Dex" plan he set in motion.

He still has to pretend to be dumb, lest the Dominus notice and crush his mind, but he is a supergenius now, and everything that comes to pass is according to his design.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ja, iz here.

Maybe not quite "storyboards" but pretty darn detailed, if I do say so myself
    Not bad at all. That Jacob Destiny thing is kinda Narmy though.

Man... it doesn't seem like it would take all that much effort, actually, to make the series... good?
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by High-Chancellor View Post
    Not bad at all. That Jacob Destiny thing is kinda Narmy though.
    Well, the truth, of course, is that Jacob "perceives" his destiny falsely, because of Dominic's miscast spell. This gives Jacob a reason for his quest for control over death, and makes Dominic somewhat responsible for turning an already evil person into an insanely evil person.

As Jacob is written now, he didn't really have a reason for infecting Gregory, nor is there an explanation as to why Miranda hasn't gotten it cured. Heck, look at the original Jacob characterization.

How'd you find that Narmy?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #600
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldn't mind doing the art for the reworked DD, but I got too much on my plate now. :P

Tho if you plan to redo DD, how would the comic format go? Would it the 4 panel newspaper style that Mookie has going, or the usual printed comicbook style with dynamic panels?
    Last edited by Humbug; 2008-10-24 at 07:33 PM.