New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Heroes-Freeform

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes-Freeform

"well, I would trust the latter if i believed that anything was random Solomon. You see I believe that there is something more than the Chaos theroy governing systems, and the like. I believe that all things are pre ordained, and that mathmaticly you could calculate everything before it ever happened down to a certain set of possible reactions to your action. Although the math involved in this is so immeasurably complex that it would tkae years just to figure out one event, and by then that event would have most likely happened. So, the real question is who was this kid from MIT, and what was the true soruce of his powers that would allow him to violate what is commonly considered universal law? Another thing, if you yourself were so interested in the field in which he was violating why, if I may be so bold to ask; did you not investigate his powers with him further?"
    (the last part is an assumption of his.)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Solomon smiles again and says "Because I'm no fool. I told him that his best option was to disappear off into the mountains of some Midwestern state and change every facet of his life. Instead he told a professor, as I said 2 days later he disappeared and not a single record of his having ever existed exists today. And the professor he told? Died that same day in a car accident. A massive EMP burst, apparently a malfunction of an experimental EMP weapon in one of the labs, wiped out every electronic record within 20 miles."
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

"And, as we both know a Fusion reaction if slightly altered can create an Eletctro magnetic pluse. All it would have required from your statements is for him to have simply asked for a bottle of water, and converted the entire thing to the correct reaction."

4. - Top - End - #124

"Yep. But that would require him being willing to not go public. And he also could have turned an entire armored division in to so much trash. Which means he either chose not to fight or was dealt with before he ever got the chance. My bet is he was killed by surprise. No agency that I know of would risk the threat inherent in trying to take him alive when he could slag the entire east coast without a problem."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah, but he could have reliazed that he was about to die, and attempted escape. he could even be here in new york for all we know."

6. - Top - End - #126

"You don't realize that a bullet has been fired from a military grade sniper rifle being used by a special forces sniper who is in a blimp a mile away until after it has struck you. Besides this guy was quite naive, he wouldn't have even thought that people would fear him. Idiot."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

"While that is true, and his personaility may have been contradictory to that coruse of action I personally know the crazy things one will do when he is about to die, and he knows it. Fear is the strongest emtion and oldest emotion Solmon, and fear of the unknown espeically of how one will die is the strongest form of fear."

8. - Top - End - #128

"But to feel fear one has to know that their is something to fear."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

"while that is true I must restate that he could of come to a realisation that he was being A: taken somewhere he didn't know by the Government, or some mysterious organization that may, or may not be out to kill him, or B: That the man in front of him was going to have him on the autopsy table right beside the Aliens in Area 51."

10. - Top - End - #130

"That assumes that a man was ever in front of him. Seriously, I know that if I was charged with protecting the national security of the US and it came to my attention that a guy could turn water into fusion bombs with a glance that man would be killed before he got any hint that he was being targeted or any chance to take a major city off the map. And I have to assume that the people the government has in the positions relevant to this discussion are at least as smart as me and can weigh the risks just like me. A .5 caliber bullet to the head from a blimp a mile away, it's the only way to be sure."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fine, lets assume then that this "kid" from MIT is dead. what is to stop others like him from emerging, or having already emerged, but are as you claim are "smart enough" to stay in hiding. Imagine the good we could do if we found this people, and taught them to harness their abilities for the greater good of everyone. They wouldn't be hunted, and many would be unafraid to come out due to those like them being present in their nation already."

12. - Top - End - #132

"If any other like him exist then their best option is to stay as normal as possible and forget whatever abilities they have. Human nature being what it is, at least one would try to rule by force. And that would end badly. The thing most for the greater good of humanity would be for humanity to never find out that they existed and for them to never attempt to remove the illusions that human society requires to operate."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thats the thing though even if they do "come out" the ones who wish to rule, or kill will still be out there, and the general public will be none the wiser of their abilities. What would you do if you came home to your own wife being killed before you eyes powerless to stop it? Or if you were attacked ina dark ally by a man who could slince your cries before they ever left your mouth?"

14. - Top - End - #134

"Unpleasant things to the perpetrator of the acts. But that isn't the point. Humans are not like they are portrayed in comic books. If the existence of such people became common knowledge we would have civil wars, religious wars, declarations of martial law, the mass revocation of basic freedoms, riots, coups, and every other negative effect you can think of. And all of those would just cause even more problems. Even if Clark Kent stepped off the pages of DC comics tomorrow and his personality and powers were exactly as described in the comics the panic would still set in. Give the ability to create thermonuclear explosions with the wave of a hand to a random 20 year old you choose off the street somewhere and let the public know about it? Mass anarchy."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

"That is why it has to be gradual. First we would only inform the public of those with abilities that could be directly helpful to the working class, and the majority of the Rich. Then we slo9wly work in one, by one the others each with a slightly higher levle of power, and give them roles in society that their powers could fill. Lets say Superman had been saving people for decades before finnaly revealing his true identity, I think the public would be more approving of a heroic icon, and generally good person being incorprated into their day to day lives."

16. - Top - End - #136

"Wouldn't work. For numerous reasons. And it wouldn't solve the problems, only delay them. What happens when you get one guy who can provide unlimited free energy and he does so for 50 years and then dies. How do you replace him? You can't just build another. Or a guy who can cure any and all disease with a touch? And what about the religious implications? What happens when you have a guy you can demonstrate the ability to perform miracles? There are a lot of Christians in the world and all of this smacks of Revelations and the Apocalypse."

Solomon looks off in the distance for a second before shaking his head and concluding "No, the impact on society would be horrendous beyond your wildest dreams. Now perhaps we can talk about something less weighty."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

"You may be right, but this isn't just going to go away, and I'm sure you have heard about the "killer" in Michigan right? I think he may have these abilities as well ,and that may be the reeason we cant hunt him down.
    what will we do if there exist twenty more like him, or her, or it in the waiting not yet matured, but they will exist. What if there are hundreds like him disturbed, confused, and angry? I've seen first hand what people can do if they have these abilities, and I don't want anyone else to suffer through the loss, and greif of someone being taken away becuase some IDIOT happened to lose control of his powers."

18. - Top - End - #138

Solomon smiles wryly as he says "Assuming for the moment I agreed with you, what would you suggest doing? You are a young immigrant who is working as a bank teller in a bad part of town, which implies a distant lack of resources on your part, and I am a twenty something guy with money and power but no where near enough of either to even begin to take on something like this. You would need upwards of a billion dollar bankroll just for the material goods and setting up the intelligence networks that would be needed. And you wouldn't be able to keep your actions under the governments radar."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

"money is something arbitray, and easy to obtain, and why would we need that much money? Albiet the resources required to find those people would be in the tens of thousands I see no other requirements... Also I have American Citizenship as of Yesterday... I applied for t before I even got on the plane to this land."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    The doctor frowns at Eric. Now was not a time to be a nervous wreck, it was time to get one's act together, to try to play the part of member of some top-secrety company of superpowers.

I can turn invisible and I know where to find one's major arteries and organs.
    I bet you are one of those killers who think - eric tries to mimic the doctor voice - "I am the smartest person in the world", right?

Eric continues - Remember, I have a ability too. In my case, It doesn't matter if you know where my arteries or organs are, unless you have something as powerfull as a nuclear explosion to cause any damage - Eric gets his face closer to the doctor - See, my ability is invunerability. I am protected from nearly any harm

Eric smiles, and steps away, getting out of the reach of the doctor arms, he pulls a knife from a pocket and places the point in one of his hands, he pressures it until the knifes bends, them shows the hand, completely unharmed.

- Trust me, I don't like to be partnered with you, but I can understand the decision...

Spoiler
    Show
    If the Asian is negating my powers too, Eric will not perform the knife thing

Also, he might be exagerating about his abilities (The Master decides)
    Last edited by Bluelantern; 2008-10-21 at 08:37 PM.
    Pround Founder and Master Teamancer of the The Outstanding Banjo Teaparty Club!

Hate-a-miko-mancer of the Miko Anti-fanclub

Spoiler
    Show
    You can now make a will save.

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    There's a little part of every one of us that doesn't care exactly what we're humping.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Heath wakes up from his sleep, the potted plant sitting on his desk. He grabs his room key and heads downstairs to get something to eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

22. - Top - End - #142

Solomon snorts and says "Ten's of Thousands? Try millions. It is relatively easy to find someone if you know some basic biographical information about them and they aren't trying to hide. It's still pretty easy even if they are trying to hide. But if they are willing to go all the way and cut all ties with their past and start a new life then it becomes nigh impossible. And if you don't know anything about a person and are just looking for persons who display unusable abilities it is even more difficult. You would need a supercomputer capable of scanning every news source in the nation. And blogs count as news sources. The program would need to be able to cross reference those news sources with DMV records, school records, and various other non public records as well. And then once you have found an individual who has expressed powers you need to capture him or her, at least if your objective is to prevent unintentional deaths by the newly powered individual. That would require at least a dozen fast response teams, which would run you upwards of a hundred million a year just in payroll. And throw in the helicopters, private planes, car's, buildings, ships, and all the other infrastructure needed and you are looking at nearly a billion in capital costs with continued expenses of probable close to 200 million a year. And that's just for operating in the US, not even all of North America.

And then you have to convince the government and police to not intervene while you set up what amounts to a private army in the continental US."

Solomon tilts his head to the side and thinks a bit before saying "You said that you have seen the use of these abilities first hand?"
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2008-10-22 at 09:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Solomon snorts and says "Ten's of Thousands? Try millions. It is relatively easy to find someone if you know some basic biographical information about them and they aren't trying to hide. It's still pretty easy even if they are trying to hide. But if they are willing to go all the way and cut all ties with their past and start a new life then it becomes nigh impossible. And if you don't know anything about a person and are just looking for persons who display unusable abilities it is even more difficult. You would need a supercomputer capable of scanning every news source in the nation. And blogs count as news sources. The program would need to be able to cross reference those news sources with DMV records, school records, and various other non public records as well. And then once you have found an individual who has expressed powers you need to capture him or her, at least if your objective is to prevent unintentional deaths by the newly powered individual. That would require at least a dozen fast response teams, which would run you upwards of a hundred million a year just in payroll. And throw in the helicopters, private planes, car's, buildings, ships, and all the other infrastructure needed and you are looking at nearly a billion in capital costs with continued expenses of probable close to 200 million a year. And that's just for operating in the US, not even all of North America.

And then you have to convince the government and police to not intervene while you set up what amounts to a private army in the continental US."

Solomon tilts his head to the side and thinks a bit before saying "You said that you have seen the use of these abilities first hand?"
    "You are making this harder than it has to be though Solmon. with the correct use of mathmatical formuli, and a DNA sample of one of these "enhanced" people we could locate them one by one.
    As, for the last part lets just say I've lost someone close to one of "them."

24. - Top - End - #144

Solomon laughs "Yeah, no. First you assume that genetics are what give these people their powers, not a proven assumption, or for that matter one that is even provable until you have DNA samples from multiple powered individuals. And then you make one of the stupidest assumptions of all time, that some mathematical formula will tell you who has powers and who doesn't. Even assuming a single common progenitor for every single powered individual you must be able to find out who this common progenitor was and then trace their family line down through time until you find every one of their descendants, and that still will most likely miss any bastard offspring or random mutations. It might have been possible to trace the spread of these powered individuals back when traveling more than a few miles was a rarity as you could find locations where the entire town was powered but with the advent of cars, trains, planes and a population that has significant geographical movement even that becomes impossible."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground

The doctor narrows his eyes at the Superman, as the nervous Dr. Malcolm Patrick Walker fades away, making room for Malpractice for now.

Fascinating. Invisibility matched up with invincibility. Can we go now?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2008-10-22 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Solomon laughs "Yeah, no. First you assume that genetics are what give these people their powers, not a proven assumption, or for that matter one that is even provable until you have DNA samples from multiple powered individuals. And then you make one of the stupidest assumptions of all time, that some mathematical formula will tell you who has powers and who doesn't. Even assuming a single common progenitor for every single powered individual you must be able to find out who this common progenitor was and then trace their family line down through time until you find every one of their descendants, and that still will most likely miss any bastard offspring or random mutations. It might have been possible to trace the spread of these powered individuals back when traveling more than a few miles was a rarity as you could find locations where the entire town was powered but with the advent of cars, trains, planes and a population that has significant geographical movement even that becomes impossible."

"I had figured that we could have worked together on thi9s Solmon, but it appears that either you are hiding something, and have a reason beyond what your telling me, or your simply not willing to sacrifice for the good of man kind, and its advents. I'm sorry Solmon, but I have to go."
    with that he will pick up the duffelbag he had brought with him, and get back on the next ferry...
    "I see I'm not the only one who has taken notice of the advents. Yet, I sensed that he was not being entirely honest with me... I wonder what he could be hiding....."

27. - Top - End - #147

Solomon smiles and says "Hiding something? Not really. As for being willing to sacrifice for the good of mankind? I would give everything I have and pay any price to prevent the destruction of humanity but you have failed to convince me that the public knowledge of the existence of powered individuals would be to mankind's benefit. It's been nice talking with you, if you ever want to get in touch here's my card. But I would strongly advise you to not speak a word about any of what we have discussed over any phone line or even attempt a Google search about any of this."

With his last sentence Solomon hands over a plane white business card that simple says Solomon and has a phone number underneath.

After wandering around the island for a bit and heading up to the top of the statue Solomon heads back into the city and wanders around for a while.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

micheal will take the card, and nod gently although he will attempt a google search on this jokingly. (the millitary cant be hunting down everyone who punches a random pharse askign about a certain name.... I do it all the time.)

29. - Top - End - #149

hmm, I wonder what I should do for dinner? Room service? Nah. I wonder... when I was talking to Jon about that new trading program last week he said he was going to be out of town this week, something about a vacation to NYC. I wonder if he's avaible.

Solomon pulls out his cell phone and finds Jon's number after about 2 minutes rummaging through the address book I wonder if he can program a more intuitive one of these stupid things, something to ask I suppose and calls him "Hey Jon, it's Solomon."
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Hey Jon, it's Solomon."
    Jon's phone goes off. Thankfully, he had it on vibrate. Seeing who it is, he excuses himself from the room.
    "Pardon me, I need to take this."
    Opening the phone as he walks down the hall a bit, Jon says, "Ah. Hey Solomon, what can I do for you?"
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune