New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventurers' Guild 2: Cap'n Marko and the crew of the Sampo

Bridgeport, down at the docks, quay 6. The Sampo is nearly ready to depart. The full crew is assembled and on board. Two carpenters are finishing the hurried installation of a second harpoon gun. A couple of adventurers are yet to embark. Also standing about near the gangplank are Guild officers Jerris the Archmage and Matthew the... well he's a mage too which is pretty cool still. They are talking in Draconic to the girl with pink hair known as Kate.

A small crowd has been attracted by the news that Captain Marko is setting off this morning. Many in the crowd appear to be Khorinis exiles. The Archmage Jerris is looking unusually tall and formal (ie bothered to dress up today) although only those who know him might realise that. Jerris hands Kate a small package and then turns to address Marko.

Jerris:
    Is that everyone?

Matthew:
    One more milord archmage. I believe Kyte has requested passage aboard the Sampo at least part of the way. You remember that thing?

Jerris:
    Oh yes!

Stranger:
    I am here.

The stranger looks like Kyte disguised as a seaman in his thirties.

Jerris:
    Looks like you have a second gunner there Captain Marko. Now here .... here.... he rumages through some of the many internal pockets in his richly ornate robes and comes up with a piece of parchment.... here is your letter of marque from the Doge The last is said loudly.

Kate, to nobody in particular:
    This is a smaller ship than the one that brought me to Bridgeport. Should I say something like, "permission to come aboard captain"?

Spoiler
    Show

We have Captain Marko, experienced seaman and Rogue/Divine bard, Dragutin, experienced marine and Paladin of Garl (both also marine Gnomes of course). Althea, Durx, Dravick, Kate and Kyte (with you temporarily) don't have much experience with boats but some I think? The rest of the crew is led by boatswain Mr Woetjans (aka "the Nose"), for the most part oarsmen but including also one gunner.

Let's try using the one OOC thread for all the IC threads this time.
    Adventurers' Guild wiki

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: Cap'n Marko and the crew of the Sampo

Durx whispers to Marko

You're gettin' lotta publicity Cap'n Marko.

3. - Top - End - #3

Marko

Sotto voce to Durx, Marko said, "Unintentionally, I assure you, Durx. I'll explain a bit more later. In the mean time, it seems the stage is set, and we have an audience..."

Accepting the letter of marque with a flourish and a bow, Marko said loudly, "Thank you, Guildmaster Jerris! It is an honor to be seen off by you and your esteemed treasurer, Matthew, from the Adventurer's Guild. Since you've commissioned us as Team Otter, and given us the use of the fine ship Sampo, we will do our utmost to scout the way for the eventual return of our brothers and sisters from Khorinis to their homes."

He paused to give the cheering from the refugees a chance to die down, and nodded and beckoned to Kate to come aboard with a broad smile.

"And now, friends, with Ahto's blessings, we must depart."

Throwing a smart salute to Jerris, he called over his shoulder, "Mr. Woetjans, cast off and make sail!"

Marko took his place at the tiller, and began to sing the wind into Sampo's sail as the oarsmen pushed off from the quay. Between the more cooperative wind and the oarsmen's strong strokes, Sampo quickly made her way up river and out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    One more play for Team Otter vice Platypus there...
    And yes, Marko is using his Bardic Music to sing the wind for the departure. I thought it would be more dramatic. He's taking 10 on that Perform check for a total result of 16. The song is a hymn to Ahto, and in gnomish. He's also taking 10 on any required Profession (Sailor) checks (18 for those). It just wouldn't do to screw something up in public...

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey; you're the captain - you can call them anything you want. IC you get the impression Jerris wouldn't be bothered especially as the letter "O" fits in quite closely with the whole M,N,O,P alphabet thing.

The Sampo heads out to sea a little and then turns the point to head into the river Timber's estuary. To port is West Bridgeport, home to most of the halflings of Bridgeport and since the coup against Argos semi-independent of the authority of the Doge. To starboard the famous shipyards of Bridgeport. Ahead the great Bridge itself. Sampo heads towards the central span although its mast could easily fit under some of the smaller spans and on another day would do so to make room for the largest river going vessels. There's little traffic on the bridge these days. A few halfling guards look down. A few porters still carry their peat or yarn to the city proper. Some of the guards wave down.

Heading up river under sail thanks to a good sea breeze the ship passes opposite the river docks but at a distance of a little over half a mile as by convention boats running up river stay to the western half of the Timber. A distant cheer from a crowd gathered down by the river docks is heard but the people are too far away to see clearly.

Where other rivers grow tired and wander about like a drunk at the end of their journey to the sea the great river Timber runs almost as straight as a crow flies in the hundreds of miles from Lake Heart all the way to the sea. The river just gets a little broader and a little more sedate along the way. Powerful but not inclined to abuse its power, the current is not rapid. As a result of the lack of curves it takes a little while to finally get out of sight of Bridgeport and perhaps even then someone at the top of the mast might be able to see the top of the Tree in the distance.

The soil to the port side is clay and used to flood regularly it is said, before the Vanorians managed to tame the river's banks with a system of levees and dykes. The countryside as a result is marshy land by nature and is called The Bog. A home to many halflings and sometimes it is said, worse things that were never found by civilization.... Further North the land is cultivated towards rice and little farms are scattered about but few towns worth the name. On the starboard side of the river the ground is higher and flinty and avoided flooding naturally leading to earl human settlement exclusively along that Eastern side of the river. A practice that continued even after irrigation as towns on the West bank were hard to defend against raiders and had little stone or wood for construction. So safe and placid are the waters of the Timber near Khorinis that many workers would cross the river on rafts to tend fields in the West and return at night.

Khorinis and the surrounding area became the rice bowl of the entire Timber valley. Since any large army marches on its stomach surely the goblin army would have an interest in Khorinis for this reason.

Kyte is his usual sociable self, saying little while keeping an eye on the horizon and the starboard river bank.

Kyte:
    I am making for Midford. How close do you think you can get me?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-19 at 02:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Marko

"Midford? Well, we were only planning on going ashore below Khorinis. While Woetjans is more than competent, I'd feel uncomfortable sending the ship past Khorinis without all of us aboard. Let me look at the chart to see how long it'll take to head up there and back. I think it won't take that long, so we should be able to go ashore after we drop you off to the north. The trick will be getting past Khorinis unnoticed twice. We'll see what the weather holds, and maybe what Dravick and I can concoct," Marko said, rubbing his chin.

Spoiler
    Show
    How many days will we lose dropping Kyte off? I don't think it'll be that bad, and Woetjans can drop the rest of us off south of Khorinis as originally planned afterward. Does Dravick have any illusion spells he can cast we might be able to use to hide Sampo? I'm definitely thinking night passage in both directions, but every little bit helps.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Looking a little weighed down by his gear, Dravick arrives at the docks with his usual smile on his face. "Permission to come aboard captain?" he says respectfully to Marko. Once aboard he finds a place to stow his gear. When he sees the crowd that has gathered to see the Sampo off, and the admiration that those gathered obviously have for Marko, Dravick is a bit in awe, and at the same time, he is a bit jealous. I'll have to remember to ask him how he achieved such fame

As Marko begins to sing the song to Ahto, Dravick pays attention and tries to learn the words as he tries to figure out what he can be doing to help on the ship, with such limited experience.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

7. - Top - End - #7

The wind is blowing nicely from the South South East which is about typical for this part of the river. The oarsmen work away at a decent pace, but knowing they have to keep going for many hours.

The Nose, replies to Dravick:
    Well Sir, I see you are a musician; anything with a good beat would be better than me on the drum I expect. If you know how to steer-- well there's not much to it on the river of course. And then you can take up an oar if you really want to be useful. Or familiarise yourself with the harpoon guns in case we need them. I think that covers all the jobs. At this pace we should hit Underburrow by nightfall and reach Khorinis in four or five days. The same again to reach Midford from there-- if we see no trouble along the way.

Kyte:
    Khorinis will do.

Kate, looking to port:
    Oooh look! A lovely little house on the moor over there! Surrounded by pink flowers.

The Nose:
    Miss, that is a bog not a moor. That pinky colour is just marsh grass. it's common all up this bank until halfway to Khorinis. Probably some halfling house.

Kate:
    Does the bog have any black dragons in it?

The Nose:
    No these are still civilized lands. About the worst would be a troll or a will 'o the wisp come out of the Great Marsh over by Westguard way.

Spoiler
    Show
    talking about the bank nearest you ; the west bank; Underburrow is a town on the West bank 50 miles North of Bridgeport.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: Team Otter

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

"Permission to come aboard, Mr. Woetjans?," asked Dragutin at the dock. "Where do you want me to stow my duffle?" Once the paladin had put away his gear and readied himself for departure, he went to go find Marko.

"So, Cap'n, where do you want me? I'm willing to work just about anywhere, but I'm best above decks in case we need to repel boarders," Dragutin smiled, caressing the haft of his axe. As the ship glided majestically from port to Marko's song, Dragutin quietly recited a prayer to Garl as he worked.

ooc: Profession: Sailor at +4.

9. - Top - End - #9

Marko

"Well, we can always use an extra hand at the oars, or maybe keeping the sail trim. Woetjans and I normally handle the tiller. A lookout in the crow's nest wouldn't be a bad idea either," Marko said thoughtfully to Dragutin.

In response to Kyte, he said, "Well that's good news, then. It was going to be no mean feat to hide the ship as we sailed past. I still wonder how close to Khorinis we might be able to put ashore, though. It could be quite a hike for you."

Spoiler
    Show
    So, DB, what can you tell me about Sampo's new gunner? Or should I go about making up a name and such?

10. - Top - End - #10

The gunner is a gnomish lad called Feodor. He has a pet water rat called Nipper which he mostly tries to keep in a sack along with his other possessions.

Spoiler
    Show

Those with any profession(sailor) or knowledge(nature) ranks know that water rats are not uncommon along the banks of the Timber and are sometimes kept by gnomish sailors. They are never really tamed and only seem to get on with their masters or other gnomes.

Feodor is happy to show Dravick or the others how to reload the harpoon guns. It is an operation that is quicker with two crewmen but can be done with just one. Feodor stands on a small box to aim and shoot but suggests Dravick sit on the box to do the same. Every now and then a floating piece of wood in the water provides a target to shoot at.

The Nose explains to Marko that while heading upstream the usual practise is to row and sail up river during the day and stop at night to rest. While heading downstream the custom is to not bother rowing but to take shifts and keep the ship moving both day and night. Even without rowing the downstream journey is much faster and it takes just two days between each city instead of five on the way up. He also says that the oarsmen can be driven harder but not for too long.

The day wears on into evening.

The Nose:
    What say you captain, shall we stop for the night at Underburrow?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-22 at 12:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Marko

"I see no reason to break the men. We'll anchor at Underburrow tonight. The night we go ashore below Khorinis, though, I'll expect we'll be rowing after dark, and once we're off, you'll head down stream immediately," Marko said.

Spoiler
    Show
    As near as I can tell, the DMG treats ballistae as "Huge Heavy Crossbows" and levies a penalty for the size difference alone. How do you want to handle them?

12. - Top - End - #12

The Sampo draws up to the quay at Underburrow. Nothing seems unusual except that the Sampo is the largest ship docked here. The Nose goes about organising guard shifts. "The crew usually sleeps on board. Otherwise half of them come back too drunk to row and the other half end up in the clink for the night." He seems to be exaggerating.

Underburrow seems a good sized town. Beyond the quay the main road leads up to a town square. A little macabre - the square is dominated by a hangman's deck, gallows and rope. At least there's nobody hanging there tonight! There's some public lighting in the square -- usually a good sign of prosperity. A number of shops (closed), blacksmith, post office*, a couple of buildings that might be some sort of town hall or have other public use. All closed for the night right now but there is an inn open; the Hangman.

The buildings are made of the clay bricks common in Bridgeport too. There's very little wood or stone here. The air smells a bit of bog but you quickly get used to that.

Spoiler
    Show

* post office - for communicating parcels and letters and so on. Usually by co-ordinating with ship's captains to take stuff up or down the river where they are deposited with another office. These offices are not regulated or all run by a central group however. There's also the pigeon delivery service to Lauden for very light items. These are possibilities open to the general public, In some cities there may be magical means of communication but not freely available.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin, Paladin of Garl

Dragutin happily practiced with the ship's weapons while not on sail handling duties. Open hearted and gladsome, he cheered for all the hits and commiserated over the missed shots. "Good show, Dravick! A man of many talents, I see!" After his turn with the harpoons, he scampered up to the crow's nest and returned to watching for enemies, as befitted a ship's marine.

On reaching Underbarrow, Dragutin waited long enough to find out his place on the guard roster and then bounced along the gangway to the quay.* He was dressed in full armor with his weapons polished and his holy symbol prominently displayed. "The Hangman Inn! Well, that's not a name to give a man a good feeling, but perhaps their ale will make up for it. Feodor, can I buy you a pint? Maybe we can find Nipper a potato or something, eh?"

* or stood his duty first and then left.

14. - Top - End - #14

Dragutin and Feodor enter the Hangman inn. It is late and the place is nearly empty. The barman, a human man, warns "we're closing soon". There are a couple of other customers. The bar is a split level and a group of halflings sit at the lower end, a single man at the tall end. The decorations of this pub seem to have a theme of dead animals or beasts that presumably were killed out in the bog as you recognise some as being marsh creatures. In pride of place over the hearth is a tiny black dragon, stuffed presumably. It looks to be well preserved and whole and is the size of a large cat. It must have been a hatchling.

Man drinking at bar, to Dragutin:
    What have we here? That is a guild badge from Bridgeport isn't it? How did you come by an adventurers' guild badge?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adventurers' Guild members get a small silver looking badge which they wear to identify them. I tend to assume people are wearing them unless otherwise specified or its obvious they are disguising themselves. The badge depicts a stream and a path and a sword and a staff crossed. I think that was it. Have to check now... Since the guild is only about 3 months old few would recognise it outside Bridgeport.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-23 at 11:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick practices with the harpoon guns for most of the day. When the ship puts in at Underburrow, Dravick is excited to see the town. He walks around the town a bit before realizing that the Hangman is the only establishment open. He walks in and sees that Dragutin and Feodor have found a much quicker route to the bar. Taking a seat at the bar at the last human height seat at the bar right next to the lower section. "I'll have an ale please, and one for my friends too." He calls to the Barkeep indicating Dragutin and Feodor.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

16. - Top - End - #16

I miss good old dwarven ale...

Funneh for you to reck'nize our shymbol

Durx's accent is even worse, considering he's had a drink.

17. - Top - End - #17

Matthias:
    No that odd since I used to be in the guild myself. Aha! Thought you'd catch me out, eh? I don't remember any gnomes in the guild but I do recall a half-orc who was "raised by dwarves".
    Spoiler
    Show
    In fact this is the same Matthias who was part of team Adder but left the guild at some point. or did he? what exactly happened to him? I believe Marko, Althea, Dragutin and certainly Kate didn't meet him.
    Durx probably recognises Matthias now. A bit of an odd kid. He ran hot and cold. He seems to be in a chatty mode right now though. Dravick also recognises Matthias from the early days of the guild. By the time team Adder merged with Dravick and the other Badgers though, Matthias was not around.

Matthias, to Durx:
    Your name was "Stiletto" or "Poniard" or something like that?

The barman brings some drinks for Dravick and the others.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-23 at 07:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Durx. Durx Ironbeard. I didn't r'leh see ya much 'round the hall. Certn'ly didn't talk to ya.

19. - Top - End - #19

Matthias:
    So what brings you to Underburrow?

20. - Top - End - #20

Cap'n Marko is better 'quipped to answer tha' question.

Hey Marko! You'll nevuh guess who I ran inteh!

21. - Top - End - #21

Marko

Marko had remained aboard the ship seeing to a few details, and assuring himself of the watch before walking into town. He arrived at the Hangman just in time to hear Durx's tipsy remark. Calling from the door with a smile, he said, "I have to give you that one, Durx. Who'd you run into?"

While the half-orc responded, Marko made his way to the short end of the bar with Dragutin and Feodor.

Spoiler
    Show
    DB, FYI TwoCents is out and won't be back until late tomorrow.

22. - Top - End - #22

Someone from the good ol' guild!

Durx walks with Matthias to Marko.

This's Matthias.

23. - Top - End - #23

Marko

Marko looked up at Matthias curiously. Offering a friendly handshake, he said, "I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. I'm Marko Ratkotruljevic. I joined the Guild shortly after the 'dungeon' was dug. Bruce found me washed up on the docks, but my luck's turned completely around since joining the Guild."

As he mentioned 'luck', the gnome patted his holy symbol.

24. - Top - End - #24

Matthias:
    I'm Matthias Foolson. Not fool enough to hang around in the guild after the war started though. We were up near Midford chasing after wisps. We split up and Fin and Berwin and I were supposed to go and spy on the enemy camp. Just for no particular reason. Well I was the lightest on the feet so they sent me in there alone but it wasn't my idea of fun so when we got safely back to Khorinis I dumped them.

Well my luck hasn't changed for the better because the next thing is the whole town was overrun by goblins. It was the gatekeeper that sold them out. But I'm no fool; I got out of there and gave them the slip all the way back home.

Matthias raises his arms to encompass the inn indicating that Underburrow is his home town.

I can't stay in this dump though. I was thinking of traveling South. Maybe head for the Southern lands. I don't know.

25. - Top - End - #25

Marko

Marko frowned as Matthias explained how he'd abandoned his companions. "Well, I can't speak for Fin and Berwin, but given the need for swords these days, I don't think Jerris would turn you away. He's the Guild Master now that Bruce is Doge. I think this war will find us wherever we run, so I'm headed upriver to meet it on my own terms. How did you find out the gatekeeper sold out Khorinis?" he asked seriously.

26. - Top - End - #26

Matthias:
    Well figuring that didn't take no special smarts at all. He was lording it over all the rest of them. Gone over to the other side or else he always was on their payroll. He's the number two guy there now after that Elf with blue hair. But the Elf didn't really seem to care about the town so the gatekeeper had the run of the place ordering those gobbos back an forth all day like little toy soldiers.

Matthias seems to just now recognise another member of the guild.

Dravick! I remember you. Guy with the lute, right? You should sing for this place when there's more of a crowd. Probably pick up a few bob.

27. - Top - End - #27

Marko

"Hm. If you'd like passage back to Bridgeport, our ship will return there in about a week, after dropping us off south of Khorinis. I'm sure Jerris would be most interested in your story," Marko said.

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's nothing else anyone would like to say to Matthias, or do in Underburrow, I'll move to the next day on the river.
    Matthias:
    If this Jerris is in charge now, perhaps you could hand back my guild pin to him.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-10-26 at 05:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Marko

Marko held out his hand to receive the pin, but said, "Only if you don't intend to go to Bridgeport yourself. I don't rightly know where you'd go beside there."
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-10-26 at 05:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Matthias. I might sing were there not much bigger things going on in the world. What are you doing out here?" Dravick asks, having not heard Matthias' exposition to Marko. Then seeing Marko, he says, "Barkeep! An ale to my friend, the fearless and intrepid Captain Marko!"

Spoiler
    Show

Other than some small talk and/or giving Matthias a hard time for being a quitter, I'm RTST...
    Last edited by Thymin; 2008-10-27 at 08:55 AM.

Current Characters: