New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: Cap'n Marko and the crew of the Sampo

Marko

Marko stroked his chin thoughtfully as the goblins scuttled their damaged raft.

"Come about and keep us clear of the debris, Mr. Woetjans. We need to close them a bit," he said finally.

Turning so he could be heard better, he called to everyone else, "They're going to make the bank! Aim for the human!" To reinforce his point, he unlimbered his own crossbow and began firing.

Spoiler
    Show
    If we actually manage to kill the human, keep firing to thin the number of goblins. Two minutes is 20 rounds, so here goes (I haven't included the range modifiers since I don't know exactly what they'll be over the course of the two minutes):
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[23]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[22]
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[24]

2. - Top - End - #62

The oarsmen bring the ship about but they don't make much headway against the current at first, tired from their surge. The Sampo doesn't manage to close the distance with the undamaged raft before it reaches the bank of the river. Your helmsman* pretty much ignores the logs in the river figuring that someone will just use a spare oar or a harpoon to poke them out of the way of a direct collision with the Sampo -- not that such a "collision" would harm the ship, but rather slow her down.

There's no opportunity for a clear shot at the human, although you can make him out easily enough among the goblins even at this distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a lousy chance to hit a specific crewman, if you have any at all. Do you want to shoot wildly or wait for a better shot and conserve ammo?

* yet to be named helmsman!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As the boat comes about Dravick gets up from the aft gun and makes his way to the fore gun. He continues to sing, but does not begin to fire again yet, he is waiting for them to get closer.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

Dragutin, taxed by the effort of counting, but obedient to the ship's captain, shouted down a tally of the goblins on the two rafts. That done, he rested his arm against the frame of the crow's nest and relaxed to the movement of the ship, heavy crossbow poised. Smiling broadly now that he was back at the familiar job of marine sharpshooter, Dragutin waited.

When the opportunity arrived, he prayed to Garl for accuracy against the foe and fired at the human leader of the goblins.

Missile Fire - (1d20+7)[17] (not including range modifiers)
    Damage - (1d8+1)[5]

5. - Top - End - #65

Marko

Seeing the crew unable to make significant headway against the current, Marko added his voice to Dravick's in praising Ahto to bring the wind around more in their favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The others are free to shoot at whoever they like (or the mass of goblins in general). Marko will continue to fire on the human specifically. I saw several 19's in there. Were they good enough to hit? If so, I'll post some critical confirm rolls.
    Oh, and dare I ask if there's any odd result that comes from two bards singing the same song to different magical effects?
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-11-04 at 10:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Keep Firin' My crossbows almost useless right now."

Spoiler
    Show
    It seems like for the past half week or so, all we have been doing is rolling dice. Can we speed things up?
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2008-11-04 at 09:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As soon as the Sampo gets back to the range where Dravick had been successfully hitting the raft, Dravick will again open fire.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not adding any modifiers since I don't know what they'll be...

(1d20)[8]
    (3d8)[13]
    (1d20)[3]
    (3d8)[16]
    (1d20)[13]
    (3d8)[13]
    (1d20)[19]
    (3d8)[11]
    (1d20)[18]
    (3d8)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Oh, and dare I ask if there's any odd result that comes from two bards singing the same song to different magical effects?
    I wouldn't think so, I'll be taking a feat that allows Dravick to do two different Bardic Music Effects simultaneously, at some point eventually down the line.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

8. - Top - End - #68

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we can conclude the encounter without more die rolls.

Philosophically - game theory philosophically - I like the diceless system and I'm quite happy with it, but D&D has always gone the other way with a structured random system to hang player expectations upon. Lots of dice rolls! I think the raft shooting worked pretty OK as far as that goes, although I understand only a few people could "do" much during a naval battle at range. I intend to skip time to the adventurers being dropped off on land close to Khorinis now, but in case anyone wants to continue the current encounter on land.....
    It's too far to shoot the crewmen effectively and most shots appear to go wide, and the remainder unclear as to whether they hit or not.

The undamaged raft makes for the river bank with haste and is abandoned there by the now combined crew of about fifty goblins. Once on dry land the goblins are able to run for cover. The landscape here is flat with long grasses and a few trees so they don't have to run more than about a hundred feet past the beach before they are hidden among the tall grass. The Sampo follows behind and against the current while dodging the odd tree trunk or piece of raft. Both sides of the Timber river here have sandy / shingly beaches about ten feet wide which are easy to launch a raft or shallow keel boat from. The abandoned raft is not even drawn up well on the shore and could be shot up while holding position or even perhaps seized. It doesn't look like much of a prize though. An axe, some rope, a few nails and a professionally made rudder. There's an awning to provide some limited sun shade.

9. - Top - End - #69

Marko

Marko frowned at his ineffectual shooting. Once the goblins scattered to cover, he stowed his crossbow and called, "Gunner! A grappling hook for the forward gun! Helm, bring us in closer so young Feodor can snag us a prize. We won't leave them an easy means to run down river."

Spoiler
    Show
    Marko's plan is to grapple the raft and reel it in as a prize (to minimize the danger of goblins shooting at us). Exactly how far above Underburrow are we? I'm of more than half a mind to run the raft down river to there and warn them about the goblins on their side of the river. Is that something that can be done "off camera"? I know everyone (including me) is anxious to get to Khorinis, but 50 goblins is enough to cause Underburrow serious trouble, and if it comes to it, they could probably use a sturdy raft to evacuate non-combatants.

10. - Top - End - #70

Well the harpoon gun doesn't come with a grappling hook but the Nose comes up with something from stores that looks the part of a hook and a couple of lengths of rope of around 200 feet. He takes a couple of practice throws with the hook and seems to have about a fifty foot range with his throws.

The Nose:
    Looks like we'll have to get in closer to the raft sir. Are we worried about damaging it while we drag it off the beach?

11. - Top - End - #71

Marko

"Let's say I'm more concerned with our collective health than the condition of the raft, Mr. Woetjans. I'd sooner sink it than have any us shot by a goblin. Let's see if we can't lash that hook to a harpoon, and run a line behind it. That should give us a bit more stand off," Marko said.

12. - Top - End - #72

The harpoon gun isn't really able to operate as a grapple and trailing rope firing mechanism with the makeshift grapple, however the goblins seem to be keeping quiet or else they took off. After a certain amount of messing around the raft is secured via the rudder and pulled adrift from the beach with some damage to the rudder. Reversing the oars the raft is pulled out from the each a few hundred feet.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

As the goblins retreat Dravick stops singing, and lets out a cheer. Helping however he can to secure the raft Dravick realizes the truth to Marko's concern about the welfare of Underburrow. "I think we must do what we can to help them, and to get a message to Bridgeport. But, you are the captain, and I will follow your lead."

Current Characters:

14. - Top - End - #74

Marko

"All in good time, Dravick. The raft will only slow us on our journey up river, so we'll take it back down to those who might need it, along with a warning. If we can't convince Underburrow to dispatch a message immediately, Sampo may beat them to Bridgeport with the news. This war will make many demands on us, and our part lies north," Marko said, pitching his voice so the crew could hear his response.

15. - Top - End - #75

The boatswain passes on the orders to head back to Underburrow. The Sampo heads towards the far bank under oar. Some crewmen pull the raft up and jump across to tie it properly. The raft is then allowed to trail the Sampo at the full length of the rope, about a hundred feet. As the wind is against her, the Sampo starts to tack back and forth down the East half of the river, a mile one way, swing, a mile back, zig-zagging gradually. It doesn't take more than three crewmen to operate the sail and the rudder. The Nose sets out who will be on duty throughout the night.

Oarsmen mainly sit or lie near their stations playing dice or cards, talking, sleeping or looking out at the river or the East bank. The scenary on the East bank is greener with more trees and bushes. The bank is higher and you can see less distance in land because of the vegetation. There's a road or track running parallel to the bank that you see every now and then through the trees. The Sampo is going much faster than upstream even without anyone bothering to row. About two or three times faster and when you do see the odd human on the road traveling South they are quickly left behind.

The Nose:
    We'll reach Underburrow tomorrow afternoon if I am any judge. The raft doesn't seem to be dragging us too bad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nautical translation: boatswain = the number 2 on the ship after the captain. ie the Nose.
    Thaink that's right

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler
    Show
    Only on a vessel as small as Sampo would the bosun be the "number 2". On larger vessels, the bosun is one of several warrant officers (two others being the sailing master and carpenter). Larger vessels would also have lieutenants and midshipmen, and the "First Lieutenant" is normally the "number 2". Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boatswain

17. - Top - End - #77

Kate:
    Oh hang on, hang on!

The pink-clad barbie battle-wizard looks through her pack and produces a beautifully decorated ladies hand mirror. In fact it is one of the four identical hand mirrors that came in Jerris' trunk of magical goodies.

Kate:
    Matthew gave me this before we left. I can use it to send a Message to him at the Guildhall back in Bridgeport. She looks a bit glum for a second. I hope I haven't wasted any time. Then more cheerful. I'd forget my own head if it wasn't sitting in a jar in Kheogbad.

The last line is said in the manner of a saying. At any rate Kate's head (and pink hair) appears to be on her shoulders.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-11-11 at 10:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Marko

"Excellent! That will get the warning to Bridgeport much faster. Please tell Matthew we engaged two enemy rafts, sank one, and seized the other; that some 50 goblins escaped ashore and may threaten Underburrow; and that our scouting mission will be back underway as soon as we deliver the seized vessel to Underburrow to aid their likely evacuation," Marko said, trying to restrain his excitement.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm trying to wrap this part up quickly guys, honest! Once we're ashore south of Khorinis, I think we'll be able to resume a more normal posting pace for everyone.

19. - Top - End - #79

Spoiler
    Show
    Bwahaha! You will never get off this river!

Kate:
    Aye, aye captain!

Kate is about to send the message when she stops. "Oh gosh, I was supposed to tell everyone about how to work the mirror, especially Dravick." Kate takes anyone interested to one side and repeats the information she was given about the mirror.
    Spoiler
    Show

Note: this description is Matthew's understanding and his style of explanation.

Mirror of Messaging
    These mirror's come in pairs. They are both about the size of a hand held mirror with the reflective area an oval shape of about 3 inches by five inches.

When you cast a Message spell you may designate the mirror in your possession as a target and if the partner mirror is currently possessed by someone else they are targeted by the spell. Once cast, the range of the Message spell is traced through the mirrors. (To count as "possessed" you don't have to be holding the mirror but it must be close at hand and you must be the last person to claim it by holding it.)

Once per week on command (while mirror held) a portal opens up between the mirrors and physical objects can be passed back and forth through them. This effect lasts for one minute or until a close command word is uttered (while mirror held) at either end. That's once per week per pair of mirrors not once per week per mirror. If something is passing through the mirror when the portal closes the effects are not fully predictable but it seems that basically the thing gets through, "but I wouldn't stick your arm through if I were you."

Open command word: kram
    Close command word: sirrej

Kate whispers the command words to the other members of team Otter.

Kate:
    You don't need to be an arcanist to use the second function. It's like a bonus. The open word is easy to remember because it's like you're craming things through the mirror see? The other one is harder but I suppose that one doesn't really matter much.

Kate offers the mirror to Dravick. "Matthew said you or Marko might be able to use the Message thing too."

It is dusk. The ship continues at full pace through the darkness. Dragutin spots what appears to be a flickering light on the far (West) bank of the river. The Sampo already has lit its own lanterns fore and aft. Dragutin screws up his eyes and puts his hands up to his face to block the light from the Sampo. Yes, there are two flickering lights now. Hard to see but there.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-11-11 at 11:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin Tadijanovic, Paladin of Garl

Dragutin stared in fascination as the girl with pink hair started talking about magic mirrors and sending messages to the guild. He interjected suddenly, "Wait! Don't forget to mention the human in charge, and include a description. Sorry to interrupt," he added in an abashed mumble. Embarrassed at his rudeness, he clambered back up into the rigging and resumed his post.

Later-

"Ahoy on deck!," he called in a low voice, repeating until someone noticed. "Two lights on the West bank."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick listened with rapt attention as Kate described the mirror. His smile widened as he looked it over. He graciously takes it when Kate offers it to him.

"If I know Matthew, he'll keep the other one nearby at all times, so there seems no reason to wait to try and contact him."

Dravick casts message and tells Matthew about what had transpired and their minor delay to try and save Underburrow from the rampaging goblins. He is sure to include the details that Dragutin interjected, and anything else that anyone might want to say to Matthew.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC-I was on yesterday and tried to post a similar post, but it must not have gone through.
    Oh well, better late than never, right?

Current Characters:

22. - Top - End - #82

Spoiler
    Show

You hear a ringing tone....
    >Click<
    Matthew:
    Oh hey Dravick! What time is it where you are?
    (joke!!)

Matthew whispers back promptly despite the late hour. As Dravick guessed he is the sort to take his responsibilities as holder of the mirror seriously. He mentions that the other team set off yesterday and heading North-ish with another mirror. He will try to co-ordinate if the teams get close enough to rendevouz. He also says he'll try to get some extra harpoons for the boat's guns.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dravick's message spell lasts about half an hour so if anyone wants to add anything there's plenty of time

23. - Top - End - #83

Marko

Marko gave a detailed account of the encounter with the goblins, adding details as suggested by the others, including Dragutin from the masthead. He also made sure Matthew's understanding of "extra harpoons" matched his own in the neighborhood of 10 score.

Later-

Acknowledging Dragutin's report with a wave, Marko made his way to the rail for a look of his own. "Helm, take us in a bit closer to the west bank so we can get a better look," he ordered after a brief moment of consideration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay. It's been a very long week, and it's not over yet.

24. - Top - End - #84

The darkness of a cloudless night closes in but presents little difficulty to the gnomes' vision. Marko, Dragutin and Feodor are able to make out a large group of humans on horseback on the West bank as Sampo tacks a little closer to the center of the river. Its still too far for Durx and the humans to see anything beyond four lights like lanterns.

They are heavily armed with bows, swords and lances, but lightly armored. They appear to have noticed a change in the movement of the Sampo. There are eighteen in all and two extra horses without riders.

25. - Top - End - #85

Marko

Marko nodded to himself as the humans came into view. He called to Dragutin, "At the mast! Hail that troop!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, I'm working this weekend, so I'm trying to pass off as much as possible to TwoCents.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Dragutin pulled himself up to his full gnomish height and formed a megaphone with his hands. Bellowing for all he was worth, he called out, "AHOY ON SHORE! WHO BE YE AND WHERE BE YE GOING?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, the player doesn't know what Marko's hoping to accomplish, and the character doesn't have a clue about a lot of things.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

Durx stands up at the ready, his hand clutching his holy symbol.

28. - Top - End - #88

The Sampo moves to about one thousand feet of the bank (ie just outside of missile range) where the two sides can shout across at each other and be heard. The humans still can't see much of each other except where they stand in the light of lanterns.

Leader:
    I am Maehel Cadmeus of the Plains and we are heading to Bridgeport. Do you have word of Khorinis? We have not seen much traffic heading South.

Dravick recognises by his name and by his greeting that this is a squad of Vanorian mercenaries. Despite choosing the term "mercenary" for themselves they are known to be an honourable people with many traditions and little in common with mere swords for hire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dravick knows because he's traveled round these parts more and he's a higher level bard but anyone else might too with a suitable roll, or if you want more information.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick tells the others what he knows about the Vanorian mercenaries and then he yells to the man who responded to Dragutin's call. He intentionally uses the accent from his boyhood home in the Western frontier, so that they might be able to recognize it.
    "Well met, Sergeant. We hail from Bridgeport and I suggest that we rendezvous and share information."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[16]
    Sense Motive - (1d20+1)[12]
    Based on his knowledge of the Vanorians, Dravick is initially inclined to trust their intentions. If he detects something off (Sense Motive) or if anyone else is concerned about meeting with the Vanorians, he will suggest that they form a small "landing party" using the raft in tow.

Current Characters:

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show
    it hasn't been stated but I assume the Sampo has a small ship's boat. A little dingy without sail and room for 4 cramped and rowable with 1. Did we specify exactly how big the Sampo is anywhere? I was figuring about 40 feet. Some of these details on the old Cougar / Dingo threads I still haven't familiarised myself with yet.

Maehel Cadmeus:
    Let us parley then. Give me your name and send your boat for me while my companions withdraw. Betray me and you'll have the Vanorians to deal with.

Or else you can come to us and have safe passage - I swear it by my fathers' honor.

Dravick senses no deceit. One of the men (Dragutin reports) dismounts and steps forward on to the beach. Another rider takes his horse and the others back off a little, but appear vigilant as if expecting trouble.