New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: Cap'n Marko and the crew of the Sampo

Marko

Turning to his half-orc friend, Marko said, "Yes, Durx, we do, though I had intended to keep its precise nature vague, at least until we got to know Mr. Mason a little better. The elf is rumored to be a mage, after all."

2. - Top - End - #182

Old Mr Mason:
    I see.

So the old Doge had something to do with all this, and now there is a new Doge and here you all are, investigating, but you don't know, or won't say, what's going on? There might be some troops coming but they may not be here for a little while.

Look, I don't know what the Elf is looking for with all that digging, but whatever it is I think it might be worth denying him the prize. I was hoping you might have an idea about all this. Do you have any means to discover what he's up to? The gaol building is heavily guarded but the site of the dig itself is not.

[hr]

Amethyst learns that the suit is indeed intended to be some sort of golem but it is not completed yet. The first step appears to be the manufacture of the body of the golem and this is what the weaver guild group was doing. The second part would involve casting various spells, some rather powerful, onto the "body". Until that happens the suits are useless unless they are taken apart and used as their constituent parts; magical leather armor and two magical daggers. The daggers could be used immediately and the leather armor would require some work to be fit for normal use. The spells involved apparently can be either divine or arcane but the book seems to assume the latter.

3. - Top - End - #183

Marko

Nodding vigorously, Marko said, "Yes, certainly, sir. It's just we need to keep that mission in proper perspective. Unless we know it will help us retake the city, interfering could tip our hand early, and make our main assignment harder in the end."

4. - Top - End - #184

Old Mr Mason:
    True, true.... but its also possible that finding out might make re-taking the city easier. Besides --- your main assignment is finding out what's going on here isn't it?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-02-25 at 05:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default My goals in a nutshell

As Zan listened to Marko and Old Man Mason talk and discuss plans, he began to have a slew of thoughts that... well, for him, they were rather dark. The stream was slow at first, but it grew with each passing word.

I really don't understand much of what's going on here... okay, so Khorinis is under attack. I'll have to do something about it since I'm on this team, but now that I look at it, this doesn't fit in with any of my goals at all! Right now, aside from my constant obsession, I want to figure out the connection between guildmaster Jerris and that place in Lauden... the one with great Boccob's symbol. Of course, after I do this all for Ana, I still have to figure out the deal with this symbol... this scythe... I-39. Trapsing around with this isn't going to help me with those bandits, and the trail is 22 years old! The more I do nothing, the further away they get. What if they're all dead... what would I do? Who could I get my revenge on? Should I try to get revenge in the first place!? Hell, by this point, I'm lost! Where's all your knowledge now, Boccob!? Where is it, because I'd like it as soon as possible!

The scowl on his face was practically frozen by that point before the cleric finally snapped out of it, blinking and looking around at the people near him. He caught the sentence said by Old Man Mason, coughing lightly.

"U-Uh, I suppose th.... th-that, though I'm n-not immersed in.. in p-planning, I can help anyb-body by just... ... healing or h-hurting whoever you want... p... um... preferably the first."
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

6. - Top - End - #186

As Zan thinks about the bandits who killed his parents the scythe seems to pulse with a dark energy as if it also seeks revenge or justice against those who wronged Zan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just to repeat Zan's background briefly (and check I recall it right):

Zan's father, mother and Thaghor were attacked by a group of "bandits". In fact there's reason to believe they were more than that because of a religious item they dropped at the scene (can't recall what it was?). Zan's mother was pregnant with him at the time. His father was killed and the mother wounded. She died in childbirth. Zan was raised by Thaghor , a close friend of the family. Obviously the account of the incident comes through Thaghor (I don't say that to suggest any inaccuracy in the story btw) who told Zan as he was old enough to understand. This took place near Zan's hometown just South of Lake Heart and West of Lauden.

7. - Top - End - #187

Marko

Scratching his beard thoughtfully, Marko said to the Elder Mason, "You seem to be suggesting it's more likely to be helpful. May I ask why you think that?"

8. - Top - End - #188

Old Mr Mason:
    Well the Elf has made no attempt to secure his position here militarily other than to round up the aldermen (our police force in happier times) and make this deal with Gates which took care of those city guard loyal to him. There must be thousands of goblins up at Midford. I know Khorinis is the smallest of the Seven but this is really an insult to try and hold it with less than 150 soldiers and most of them goblins. Yet no reinforcements have come from Midford. So--- I believe this force is not trying to hold the city long term.

I don't know what the Elf is looking for... but it seems plain to me that the entire purpose for his being here is this dig. So--- if he gets what he's here for, or if it is denied to him--- either way he may leave the city without a fight. With any luck he'll pull out the troops he's "lent" to Gates too.

Now from what you say I'm guessing that there was some sort of coup in Bridgeport against Argos? Your side won. And Argos is allied with the goblins and therefore with this Elf? That makes you and this Elf enemies I'd say. Naturally then you'd want to deny him any prize.

Spoiler
    Show
    My NPC rolls a Diplomacy check to see if he can convince the suspicious PCs.
    diplomacy - (1d20+2)[-10]

But all of this is speculation. We must find out exactly what it is the Elf seeks.... if possible. It may turn out that the only way to stop him getting it is a rapid assault on the city using Bridgeport troops. If that's the case I'm sure your Doge will want to know all the facts before committing to battle, especially if it is on short notice. There may be little time to spare!

Spoiler
    Show
    That should give you a good sample of how the conversation goes -- turning almost into a negotiation. You can continue to make direct speech if you want or you can describe what you are saying indirectly eg "Try to trick the old man into revealing he knows more than he's saying" or "Try to bluff and say we know he's lying" or "Ask him if he knows of anything valuable buried in the city" or "Ask him who might know of something valuable burried" etc.

As the conversation continues and the night draws on, Mr Mason seems to get more agitated. He also keeps wondering where his son has got to. The adventurers tell him that his son checked on them the previous evening but has not be seen by them for a little over a day.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick knows that there are things being intentionally left unsaid, so he questions the man a bit to try to get him to open up and share with the group without outright calling him a liar.

"You do seem awfully interested in this digging. Perhaps the only reason that they haven't sent more troops is because they haven't needed to, or perhaps they are trying to spring a trap on any would-be rescue party from Bridgeport. I don't know. But, if you could give us any information about what might be buried in that area, maybe we would have a better idea of what our chance are. Try to think if there's anything you remember or local legend or any such clue. You are an old man, no offense intended, so you should have plenty of memories to call upon."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+10)[29]
    GatherInformation - (1d20+8)[10]
    Bluff - (1d20+4)[16]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:
    Dravick: Human Bard - Adventurer's Guild - Team Badger/Otter

Custom Dravick avatar by Shades of gray.

10. - Top - End - #190

Default Let's you and him talk.

Zan cringed as he felt the pulse from his scythe, though he could only speculate as to whether it came from the blade or the staff. Unsettled enough, he could barely follow the conversation between Dravick and Mr. Mason. As such, he was probably too irritable at the moment to positively engage in it anyway.

Because he was still much at unease, Zan looked around the room for somebody to engage in discussion with that wouldn't interrupt his partner's diplomatic efforts.

11. - Top - End - #191

Marko

Marko just nodded sagely as Dravick laid on the charm.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think a 29 really requires an aid another action, but if you want it, consider it done...

12. - Top - End - #192

Old Man Mason:
    The best person to ask about that sort of thing is probably Niryeniro, the old librarian and current cannon at the chapel of St Cuthbert. I know him well and he won't betray you. A good man. I can give you a note of introduction but if you are caught you must dispose of it.

At this time of night he'd be at home, perhaps in bed. I wonder if it would be safer to travel at night or during the day. There's a curfew on, to make it easier for the goblin patrols to pick out ... well (laughs) people exactly like you I suppose. During the day the goblins wouldn't know spies from locals. You'd have a chance to blend in. Having said that, with such a mixed group as you have, you might draw attention still.

Gates has put up a reward for betraying members of the resistance and although most would not lower themselves to such things there's always some who might in any city. Someone sees a bunch of strangers in town sneaking into a private house they could try to make themselves some money.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's what you'd normally get and then....

As Dravick speaks Mr Mason seems to warm to the young man.

Old Man Mason:
    I wish I could tell you more.... perhaps I can just show you something.

He leads the group of adventurers into the study and fiddles about trying to find something, searching over the bookcases in the room. You notice there is a sink with a hand pump in the back of the room. Eventually he locates some papers. He takes one of them and spreads it wide across the desk in the study. It is a diagram, a map.

Old Man Mason:
    This is the public sewer system in Khorinis. I used to be involved with its maintainance. If you don't mind the smell you can get around the city pretty well using the sewers and avoid the patrols. You should take this with you because it's easy to get lost down there. Just remember here (points at diagram) is the nearest access point to this house, and this (points again) is probably the best for Niryeniro's house. I won't mark them on the map in case it falls into the wrong hands.

I can give you exact directions to find Niryeniro's house.

Incidentally the dig would be about here on this diagram. Quite close to this sewer line; they could probably have saved themselves several days work if they'd know about it.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Thank you, Master Mason, this should prove quite helpful. But, ... are you sure that you can't think of any reason, an ancient artifact, or legendary item perhaps, that the dark forces might be digging in Khorinis?" As he finishes speaking Dravick cups his chin in his left hand and strokes his unshaven face as he becomes momentarily absorbed in thought.

Spoiler
    Show

BardicKnowledge - (1d20+7)[8]Should have done this sooner *facepalm*
    (+2 Int Mod, +3 Bard Levels, and +2 Skill Synergy - Knowledge (History))
    SenseMotive - (1d20+1)[13]
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Current Characters:

14. - Top - End - #194

Default Like pulling teeth. Or experience.

Realizing that not too many people were open to talk, Zan gave a bit of a sigh before sitting down next to Sandra, amusing himself by wrapping up his scythe again. He had just realized it was unwrapped and fixing that little detail was usually high on his priority list. He struggled with whether or not he wanted to talk with her; morally, he needed to, but he was also shying away from it.

15. - Top - End - #195

Old Mr Mason:
    Well now young man, I never said I had no idea at all.... But I think you'll be better off hearing what Niry' has to say.

Dravick knows of various legends about Khorinis. Mostly they are either about St Cuthbert appearances or about Vanorian knights or about monsters from the mountains way to the East or about the return of the king of the line that ruled ancient Zarif back before it became called Bridgeport. Khorinis is an old city, even for one of the Seven. Older than Midford or Falls. Some even claim older than Lauden. Yet it is not a large place and has no equal, in terms of subterranean real estate, to Bridgeport's Underport, Lauden's Secret City or even the Dwarven warren's under the city of Falls. Dravick's understanding is that all the seven cities have extensive sewer systems dating to the Vanorian period

Mr Mason waves off further questions.

Old Mr Mason:
    Look, I think I better try to find what happened to my son. I can show you the entrance to the sewer; it's on my way but you have to come now..?

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope we can get more PC to PC chatter going now the two groups are joined. That will save me some work. In a good game a lot of the content is player generated especially with the interactions between the players.

I was going to just "push" things on and say "OK so you decide you're going to take Mr Mason's advice and off you go and then you get to where you're going after travelling through the sewers." I'd probably have done that before the groups merged. But the truth is there's other options you may prefer, different PCs may have different ideas and the game will be better for having more talk amongst yourselves so let's see how it goes taking it slower.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra has never really been involved in the major planning of any secret missions. The concept was a bit foreign to her, but so was taking a hand full of men to fight an entire army. She stayed quiet while it looked like the people who knew what they were talking about discussed things. Knowing that her job would be most needed if things went badly.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

17. - Top - End - #197

Default Level ourselves on a lower plane.

Zan shivered a little in contempt of himself before poking Sandra's foot with the staff end of his scythe, the head of which he was still wrapping. If she looked to him, he'd try and give her one of his usual smiles.

"H-Hey there!" He grinned more, nervously. "I d-don't exactly have... h-have a handle on all that's being d-discussed... I'm just a cleric, y-you know! H-how... um.. about you?" It wasn't intelligence that was getting in the way moreso than Zan not being able to concentrate on the matters at hand.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"I don't mean to delay you any more than necessary, but I don't speak for the rest of the group without their input. If you can give us a few minutes to talk things over, that would be great. If not, then we will stay behind, at least for a bit, while we come up with a plan. I'm sure that we'll be able to find the sewer entrance easily enough with your description. I understand your worry for your son, and do not want to cause you any undue delay, but we cannot go just yet."

Current Characters:

19. - Top - End - #199

Old Mr Mason:
    Very well then.

He ushers you back out of his office which he again locks with a key. He repeats his final instructions on how to find the nearest sewer hatch, which seems like it should be no problem to follow. Then he leaves by the back door through the kitchen wishing you all good fortune whatever you decide to do next. Most of the adventurers are standing still in the hall at the front of the house between study door and the dinning room with the bar.

Althea:
    He didn't seem quite as trusting or open with us as his son did he? But then ... was there something you wanted to talk about without him Dravick?

20. - Top - End - #200

Marko

Nodding in agreement with Althea, Marko said, "I agree he's less trusting than his son, and I also think he knows or suspects more than he's telling. But he did point us in the direction of more knowledge, and has given us yet another advantage over the enemy. I'm inclined to trust him, and speak with this priest."

21. - Top - End - #201

Kate:
    Some of us should probably stay here in case Mason Junior gets back and finds the place empty. This ex-librarian might not appreciate a big crowd turning up late at night either and a smaller group has less chance of attracting attention.... I'm not very good at sneaking about (and I don't like sewers!) so I was thinking I'd stay here........

22. - Top - End - #202

Default I have no choice. Hit me!

Zan did manage to listen in, despite his auditory processes being focused on the (currently silent) Sandra.

"R-Right... I've already c-covered my role. Tell me... um... t-tell me my mission and... yeah, I'll d-do it." He consumed what was left in his flask before refilling it and waiting for Sandra.
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2009-03-10 at 08:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Firbolg in the Playground

Uh'll stay here 'swell. 'm not too good't sneakin' 'bout. Durx says. Uh've got a spell that'd be useful though. Zan, if y'go, then perhaps you'd like t'learn it? 'm sure your deity'd grant it. He opens his prayer book, which is in dwarven, and flips open to the prayer of "Warning Insignia"

OOC: I forgot the spell name. Don't have the book right now. It's the one I talked about in the OOC thread.

24. - Top - End - #204

Default I'm decent at multi-tasking and chiropractics.

Zan craned his neck to look at the prayer book, being able to read it as it was dwarven. He nodded to Durk in confirmation, waiting for further words from both Sandra and Durx. He thought of a generic response that could fit both conversations, feeling frazzled.

"W-whatever people want, I'm up.. f-for the task."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra sees that the group has decided on something. She hears the comment about not being very sneaky I'm not really that stealthy, but if you want me to come along in case something happens I will. My shield and sword will stand out though so I couldn't bring them unless someone figures out how to hide them. she looks about some If I could know if you got in trouble I could make my way through the city on foot outrunning the guards to come to your location. Maybe some magical spell you could use.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

26. - Top - End - #206

Default How much is that spell in the window, sir?

The cleric turned away, rubbing the back of his head nervously.

"I... I-I'm unsure if I h-have anything like that..." He timidly stated, sipping at the flask again to relieve the dry itchiness that had somehow accumulated over the past ten seconds or so.

I'll... t-tel you what. I'll head upstairs and.... um... think about my options, w-what I can do to help the team for a bit." He stood up, taking a few seconds to carefully snap the straps holding the re-wrapped scythe into place on his back before walking up.

27. - Top - End - #207

Marko

"All right then, all asho-, er, all heading for the sewers, head for the sewers, eh?" Marko said with a grin. He waited for the others coming along to sort themselves out, then quietly peered out into the street, looking for trouble before trusting to the shadows. Rubbing his holy symbol under his shirt, he ducked out into the night, picking his way cautiously and stealthily to the sewer entrance. Pausing to look around again, just to be sure, he quietly levered the cover off the entrance.

28. - Top - End - #208

Dragutin:
    You should come Durx. This librarian is supposed to be a cleric of Saint Cuthbert too. You might be able to win his trust more easily than the rest of us.

Dragutin follows Marko to the nearest sewer entrance...

29. - Top - End - #209
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can't see why not then. Durx hefts his mace over his shoulder, and adjusts his holy symbol. He also wraps his headband around his wrist. His shield is on his back. He will head over to where Marko is going.

'm ready when you'ur.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2009-03-14 at 05:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Default He has no strings to hold him down, just to pull him along.

Zan was nearly all the way upstairs when he stumbled back, almost taking a nasty fall. As it was, he had to jog down the steps for his feet to keep up with the rest of his body, a bewildered look on his face.

"GAH! W-we're leaving right NOW!? Sh-Sh-Sheesh... had I known... I g-g-guess I'll play this one by ear.. um... as they say." He kept his weapon in its safe position for the time being, hoping he had a well-enough grip on his spells to get him by.