Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: operation Mongoose

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot! - (1d20+1)[2]
    SenseMotive - (1d20+1)[12]
    I don't know how much of a framiliarity bonus, if any you want to give Shiela for this.
    EDIT: Although, apparantly, shes having a hard time even seeing her father right now. Must be the tears. Yeah...

"What do they have you doing, Daddy?" Shiela asks, as one might expect from an inquisitive young girl.
    "You could have sent the Guildmaster a letter, you know! I was worried! With all thats been happening, I was afraid you...
    You... Well, you know. That thing you're always afraid is going to happen to me."
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-11-21 at 04:39 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive:
    (1d20+7)[13]
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Two can play at that game!
    Shamus sense motive - (1d20+1)[11]
    Boss sense motive - (1d20+2)[16]
    srd says its pretty hard to get a good hunch on the basis of sense motive however....

4. - Top - End - #94

Default Forget perception over blind confusion.

Zan continued stepping forward until he was almost the closest person to Shamus, second only to Sheila.

"Uh huh. I d-don't appreciate th-that, though!
    He certainly did NOT look happy, and it was an expression that would seem more shocking the more that somebody knew him. "Honestly, h-having a family member give just a p-poor excuse for not being there is b-bad enough, but Shamus couldn't even l-leave an explanation!" He took a few steps back to cool off, turning away from the boss.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

5. - Top - End - #95

Sheila's dad seems anxious but not in an "oh thank god you've come to rescue me" sort of way.

Shamus Tailor:
    "Poor excuse"? He shakes his head. "This is not your business, priest."

"I'll be fine Shiela, really. I don't want you getting involved in this. You should go back to Bridgeport."

Shamus breaks away from Sheila and turns to head back to the stables, exchanging a glance with the old man.

Old boss guy:
    Go ahead Mr Tailor. I will deal with their questions. Ah yes -- the inquisitiveness of youth.

6. - Top - End - #96

Default Ohhhhhh no he didn't.

Zan whipped around with a full-out deathglare towards Shamus, mouthing the word 'priest' inquisitvely, but immediately turned around again and crossed his arms.

This isn't worth my time. If Mr. Tailor's going to be incooperative, then perhaps I'll just listen closely to what that boss has to say. I don't know why I'm even still here... .... luckily, though, I don't have the staff at the moment. If I lose my temper like this with that thing in my possession, it would probably tell me to strike them all down or something. Then... well, I'd most likely get a boot to the throat from Sheila, and that's if I'm lucky. 'Not your business, priest...' and I was only trying to help, too!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Dad...
    Being evasive?

Something was up. She thought.
    Fragments of thought patterns swirled through Shiela's mind as her father broke off and headed towards the stables.
    He was anxious, but not scared or frightened. And he was just... leaving, without anything but a "don't you worry."
    He was a clothier, what possible "secret business" could he be planning? It just didn't make any sense.
    She stared dumbfounded at her father's retreating form before casting a death glare in the old guy's direction and advancing on him, her stiletto leaping into her hand seemingly of her own accord, and she reached out to grab the man's collar and pull hm in close.
    "You tell me what you're making him do, or I Swear, I will give you a second mouth to lie from."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! Angry teenager threatening violence!
    Intimidate - (1d20+5)[7]
    Ouch. I don't think I scared him at all. I don't think I scared his cat. Must be the hysteria. Yeah.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-11-22 at 04:24 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

8. - Top - End - #98

The man's collar seems harder than it looks, like armor of some sort. He doesn't seem to feel threatened, more angry.

Old boss guy shouts out:
    Hold your fire!

To nobody that you can see. And then tries to pull Sheila's arm back. As he struggles to do so he grunts,

"You haven't exactly been telling the truth either. How is the Adventurers' Guild involved in this? What do you know?"
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-11-22 at 11:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela marvels at the hardness of the man's clothing for a second, her grip faltering for the briefest moments before tightening her hold.
    "Tell your men to step into the open." she growls as she tightens her grip on the fighting knife.
    "And I'm being completely honest. My name is Shiela Tailor. I'm just a young girl whos father went missing, and had the resources to go looking for him. I love my father."
    She pauses for a second and stares the man straight in the eyes.
    "Now tell me why you're having him disguise your armour."
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-11-22 at 11:41 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

10. - Top - End - #100

Default Hey hey, it's not just me!

Zan blinked in surprise as he turned around to see Sheila already rather violent. At least that was one less thing to worry about.... however, he was nervous about the command to 'hold fire' given by the boss, and looked around the group.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+4)[23]
    Search - (1d20+2)[20]

"I... am g-glad to see it isn't just me that was g-getting a little uptight..."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra hears the shouting, but doesn't look. She hadn't heard the cries of someone attacking yet, so she held her position looking for anyone watching her.

Spoiler
    Show

search - (1d20+2)[11]
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

12. - Top - End - #102

You're standing on a corner here so people could be hidden in other buildings of course, but they would be a little far for accurate shooting. The windows to the pub are shuttered. You can't see any sign that there are people up there with crossbows or what have you. If people were standing behind the shuttered windows they'd have to open them to shoot.

Old boss guy:
    Get off me! You wouldn't dare kill a fellow guild member. It would start a guild war!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kids today! No idea of inter-guild protocol!

The man doesn't have a guild pin visible. A couple of the oldest guilds don't have the practise of issuing guild pins to their members but it is clear this man would be a weaver rather than a smith if he is a guild member. Shamus Tailor is associated with the weavers as a tailor but within the weavers guild actual membership is limited to some wealthy individuals and represents rank rather than merely working in the textile industry. Many many people in Bridgeport including a lot of halflings, work in cloth and textiles but few are official guild members.

The next is in reply to Sheila saying,
    "Now tell me why you're having him disguise your armor."

So you don't know anything?

Fine. You can have him. If he's really your dad. Get off me. You'll attract attention. Promise to not come back here and you can have him.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-11-23 at 11:08 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

If there is a wall nearby, Shiela forcibly throws him into it, if not, she instead pushes him onto the deck and sheathes her stiletto. The weapon-hand, however, goes straight for her scimitar hilt in a grip reminiscint of iatjutsu.
    "You see, you have me curious. Its time for you to start talking or start bleeding. As I see no guild pin on your person to back your claims, I can call this whole thing an unfortunate accident."

Its evident Shiela isn't going to stop unless A) the Old man gives him the information she seeks, B) she is attakced, at which point she will defend herself, or C) an Adventuer's Guildmember persuades her to back down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, Shilea is not an Iatjutku, but attacking-on-the-draw isn't exactly the world's most difficult trick.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

14. - Top - End - #104

Default Time to take things down a notch, m-maybe?

Things were certainly heating up, and Zan upon Shiela's draw that things could get VERY nasty from there. He stepped forward, not grabbing her to provoke her rage, but rather stepped around to be in her viewpoint, next to the old boss.

"S-S... .. Look, h-he is right for once. Split him and w-we'll be under several new hells of attack. As much as I would admittedly, and I'm as-shamed to say this, cut him myself, he's agreed to give you y-your father back with nothing barred. H-he will be punished somehow, I'll help you see to it, but n-not like this."

15. - Top - End - #105

Between glances at the nearby buildings, Victor also approaches Shiela. "Zan's right. The guild, no... The city, has enough problems on its hands right now without infighting. Whatever your father is working on, he seems to be doing it of his own free will. If you can't trust that, you can take him with you. This man has already said that. There is no need to kill him."

16. - Top - End - #106

Default Only partial agreement.

Zan beckoned over to Victor and, if he did in fact answer the beckon, Zan would whisper in his ear...

Spoiler
    Show

"You miss one p-point, though... I'm hesitant to believe that Mr. T-Tailor is working at his own free will at all. Something is t-too fishy about the disappearance. However, I do think w-we take him and leave the boss living and unharmed."

17. - Top - End - #107

Sheila is beating up the old guy somewhat and he's bleeding from a cut on his head after being throw into the wall. Still he seems to be defiant if rather less confident. No sign of anyone shooting at you or anything.

Old boss guy:
    Blood... your hands... you can't do worse than they would...

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela stares at the old boss guy.

"My guildmates had just talked me down, and now you have to go and raise more questions.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #109

Victor furrows his eyebrows and speaks directly to the boss this time.

"Listen. You're not exactly without fault here, yourself. I don't know who you really are, or what you're doing, or even why you think you're doing it, but if you are really arrogant enough to think it's too important to let a man's daughter know what it is..." Victor is almost spitting by this point, his voice hard but not loud. "Then you're a damn fool."

'worse than they would'... What does it mean?

20. - Top - End - #110

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes it would seem negotiations got away from him.
    Old guy is having a hard time with Sheila. Sandra is still a few blocks away looking unrelated to the rest of you. Still no sign of 15 guys with crossbows on the roof of the pub.

The original man who met you walks around the side of the pub again. He takes in his boss getting beaten up by Sheila and shouts out.

Man:
    What the !? Hey you get off the boss or I'll.....
    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative for man - (1d20+2)[7]
    I'm almost inclined to give you all (except Sheila) surprise on this idiot but let's just say you get +2 initiative. Roll initiative and if you beat or equal his rioll you can act in the same post, otherwise just talk or use other free actions.

He is about fifty feet away from where Sheila is manhandling the old guy and where the rest of you are standing.

21. - Top - End - #111

Default Backing off now!

Zan no longer wanted to be part of the little circle that Victor, Sheila and the boss had going, and simply backed off with arms forward.

"I th-think that I'll let you three s-settle this, maybe?" He retreated all the way to where Eodrick was, blinking once or twice.

"N-Note to us: Those two c-can get scary."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[18]

"You're over-reacting, friend." Shiela warns the man before thoughtlessly switching to Battlecant.
    [battlecant]"I was just about to release the prisoner, but now hes gone and said something very interesting."[/battlecant]
    She pauses for a moment...
    "Er... Is there somewhere private we can talk, where the walls don't have ears?"
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-11-24 at 11:00 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

23. - Top - End - #113

Default Wait, ack... this could be bad.

Zan reflexively reached for the staff or scythe that he'd usally be carrying, but he only had to guisarme... which was still wrapped and strapped to his back in the same manner the scythe would be.

"U-u..." He cut off anything he was going to say, seeing as Shiela was trying to handle it already, but seeing as he didn't think things were going to go well from there, he had a choice to make.

Supplement her statements, or begin undoing my weapon. If I don't undo it and things go hostile, I'm a detrimental element to my team. We'll... just have to see what happens.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[12]
    Two threes in a row. Please kill this virtual d20.

Zan held a hand up, taking on a serious but equally peaceful tone.
    "G-Given that things are only l-likely to be exacerbated by violence, let's all wait and talk this one out. W-We aren't just going to go away when dealing with this issue, we won't be c-complacent... not to threats, not to violence. Let's use reason to f-find truth."
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-11-24 at 11:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah! No scythe. My NPC lives for another round... or until the others roll initiative at least. And don't worry about the diplomacy roll. Currently the old guy would be happy to be persuaded if you rolled a -1. The other guy - not so clear. However diplomacy rolls take more than a round so we'll see if a fight breaks out or not first.

Just to clarify-- Does Sheila still have the old guy by his collar or otherwise smacking him around or shaking him up? Or did she leave him alone after throwing him into the wall? I assume this is GNB so far -- a Good Natured Beating -- temporary damage only?

Fin seems unsure what to do, looking between the man that just came back round the corner, and Sheila.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Left him alone after the wall-throw, is trying to look very threatening, though
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

26. - Top - End - #116

Victor turns his head to look at Zan, his face still as cold and hard as a sheet of tempered steel. Then he softens somewhat. "Of course no violence, friend. I never meant that."

27. - Top - End - #117

The younger man who came round the corner thinks better of it, turns and sprints back.

The old guy starts to pick himself off the ground warily, leaning against the wall, mumbling while he gets his breath.

Old guy:
    Yes, no violence. You lot go and chat amongst yourselves and I'll just go and make sure .... everything...

28. - Top - End - #118

Default Not so nervous... better for vocab.

Zan stepped back within the vicinity of the three once more, a more genuine smile on his face.
    "Glad to hear it. By making sure, you mean for the departure of M-Mr. Tailor?" He inwardly cursed... he almost got through that entire sentence without stuttering.

"T-then talk we can." He turned to Sheila with a slightly apologetic look, waiting for the man to go and 'check' on things before continuing. "I just w-wanted to say I don't blame you for anything you did right h-here. Blood was almost spilt, a-and I may have joined you."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Now that she was rested and comfortable in the fact that The Hound would not capture her while she was with the guild Amethyst was much more content to study her companions, find their interesting bits as it were. Having stayed mostly silent throughout the day so far it wasn't surprising to see that when the current conflict started she took a back seat and watched from a short distance, taking in what she could.

She would have been content to continue watching that is until the first man they encountered here decided it was better to turn and flee than deal with the rest of the group. Amethyst took this as a chance.

Every secret I know, is another step up against my adversaries.

As such Amethyst took her leave of the group to follow the man in such a way as to avoid being noticed by the rest of the group and anyone looking about.

What tastey morsel shall I acquire this day? I wonder....
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-11-27 at 09:53 PM.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

30. - Top - End - #120

Amethyst slips away when the Adventurers first meet the younger man and he says he's going to get his boss. She circles around the buildings on the other side of the street and comes at the Inn's stables from the opposite end of the road in time to witness Shamus Tailor and the other two men come out from the Inn's stables and walk to meet the other Adventurers with their back to her. Amethyst sees from the way that Sheila reacts that she knows the one man well. She creeps further forward so she can see into the courtyard and stables at the back of the Inn. One of three men walks back, then the man who embraced Sheila walks back and the third is busy talking to the adventurers. Amethyst makes note of likely hiding places within the courtyard and is thinking of sneaking in when the first young man returns for a third time. He comes through a door that looks like it goes into the back of the Inn, clears the corner of the courtyard, sees the older guy apparently being beaten up by Sheila and takes off running back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    the above describes what already happened from Amethyst's perspective. Can you make a hide roll please? And anyone who wants to spot her a spot roll.
    Amethyst cautiously follows the man trying to avoid being seen by either the Adventurers or any more people in the Inn itself.

The man she follows seems completely uninterested in checking to see if he is followed. He rushes through the open courtyard style area of the Inn's stables cursing to himself, and then through the door he came through, slamming it behind him but not closed. The door swings back partly open.

Amethyst notes that the stables don't look well used but that there are three horses here in stalls with fresh feed and a light weight cart which she gets a good view of as she crouches behind it. The cart is empty.

[hr]

The old well dressed guy that Sheila's been beating up gets to his feet cautiously and replies to Zan.

old boss guy:
    That's right. I'll go and tell him he can leave now. We'll have to mange without him that's all.

He eyes Sheila uncertainly and starts edging along the wall she threw him at, heading back the way he came towards the Inn's stables.

So... I'm... just... going to walk back there now.... and go get him.