Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: operation Mongoose

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiatives for bad guys:
    old guy initiative - (d20-1)[14]
    (I'll say the young guy acts at the same time although his initiative would be a little more; he did just get hit in the back)
    Go ahead and act if you can beat my guys' roll.

Victor easily shoots through the tight and crowded corridor to hit the fleeing man in a non-lethal padded area of the body just below the lower back.

Young man:
    @$&**!!

It doesn't seem to be the reaction of a seasoned warrior.

2. - Top - End - #152

For a moment everyone seems oddly paralysed by the way the young guy is screaming crying because he got shot in the bum with an arrow. The older guy is the first to react.

Old guy:
    Get the hell out of my way, idiot.

He runs with surprising speed for an old timer, past the younger man and down the stairs and starts shouting out as he goes, "Change of plan! Bulldog, get the &%#@ up here NOW."

Young guy:
    Awww. Ow Ow Damn.

The young guy does have his sword drawn now but doesn't look very threatening. Still you'd have to run more or less through him to get to the stairs. It's a narrow corridor.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eodrick

Eodrick moves and axes the man with the sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[6] Attack roll
    (2d8+2)[18]
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

4. - Top - End - #154

The young man appears only interested in avoiding Eodrick's attack. He ducks back just before what might have been a fatal blow, and throws his sword on the ground.

Young man:
    I surrender! I surrender!

5. - Top - End - #155

Default Today seems to be full of this stuff.

Zan was forced to watch everything off-handedly, since he took into full seriousness the value of protecting the unconcious Mr. Tailor. One of the things he did see with any deal of precision was Eodrick's pursuit of the young man, apparently wounded in the buttocks.

"Eodrick!" Zan was raising his voice so Eodrick could hear him, but he sounded a little bit gruff anyway as the rest was in Dwarvish. "Tell that man to get his sorry self over here, and lay down with his hands on his head! One move... one move and he is impaled."
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I was waiting for Shiela, but since DB went)

Sandra doesn't wait for the others and takes off after the old man. Her hand on her sword, but doesn't draw it yet. She moves as best she can to avoid the men loyal to the old man as she chases him down.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Shiela" is having internet troubles. The company (whop,by the way, has a geo. monopoly) is staffed with what seems like complete idiots.

Her self-control finally breaking down, Shiela grits her teeth and charges at the old man. The youngin' is very unfrotunate to be in her way, as she lets her legs collapse and kicks at the young man's ankles, attempting to knock him to the deck. She finishes the slide-tackle by rolling her weight foward and springing back onto her feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a flavoured-up charging unarmed trip attack.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[20]
    Strength - (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage - (1d3+3)[5]
    Please note that all damage is subdual. Extraneous +2 is from the charge. I foprget the exact rules on trip attacks, so am unsure whether I'm going against his touch or "Normal" AC.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

8. - Top - End - #158

Sheila knocks the young man down. There's a good deal of shouting and he doesn't seem to know what to do. Eodrick is also standing over him and Zan and Victor behind. Sandra blitzes past Sheila with the speed of a sprinter and disappears down the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Normally I'd say the old guy manages to run down the stairs and get down the corridor and slam the door after him because he won initiative but Sandra has a speed of 50 so he won't make it. Anyone else can follow on and I'll assume whoever is left takes care of the young man.

Fin:
    Don't worry; I'll take care of Shamus and this youth.

Sandra races down the stairs. At the bottom there's semi darkness. The old guy runs to the left. A dark corridor, narrow but not long. A couple of closed side doors. There's a door at the end with light. He's shouting for help. Realising Sandra is going to get him before he gets to the door the old guy turns. He draws a dagger. He takes a defensive fighting stance. The door behind the old man opens. There are two figures there, hard to see details.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lower corridor is also narrow - one fighting pair only, although room to swap about if the person swapping out hasn't made any other action that round. An archer could shoot from behind of course if they were accurate enough (-4 shoot into combat, -4 for cover = -8 usually.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-18 at 04:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Default Hooray for childhood memories... not.

Zan was awaiting a response from Eodrick, almost immediately regretting shouting the command in anything but common... but he never stuttered using Dwarvish, and sometimes those commands needed to be shouted quickly rather than accessably.

He was still waiting when Sandra blazed by him and the rest of the party, blinking for a moment on his watch.
    "And y-yet another reason why I'm afraid of h-her."

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: I somehow managed to overread the most crucial piece of information in DB's post as it pertains to me: Fin's line of dialogue. Seeing as it's colored to stand out from the rest of the text, I am unsure of how I missed it to begin with, but the rest of the post covers what Zan does after he hears Fin.

Fin's words shook the cleric out of his amazed gaze, and he nodded... without having to play guard duty, he was slightly more gentle and not as high-strung. "O-Okay then.... I'll just, um... join the others?" Though he'd stay in the back whenever possible, the 'peaceful mode' Zan made his way from Shamus's unconcious form to the rest of the party that was lumped up. He did wonder where Sandra was, though...
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-12-18 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Missed some info.

10. - Top - End - #160

Eodrick

What's the matter boy? Don't speak the king's tongue? He said put down your weapons, or we gut you!
    Currently playing as:

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate check
    (1d20+3)[20]
    Currently playing as:

12. - Top - End - #162

Well the young guy with the arrow in his butt sprawled on the ground in front of Eodrick (and his almost equally menacing dog) has already dropped his short sword but he reaches into his jacket and throws down a knife, then gets another from his right boot and drops that too.

Zan has some difficulty with the guisarme getting down the stairs and into the tight corridor below. However once there he is in a good position to use it to fight from a second rank behind Sandra due to its length. By this time there's more light in the corridor as the door at the end is fully open. It looks like the old guys is facing off against Sandra but there's a fighter-type tough guy Zan hasn't seen before standing behind him. A third man is further back in the room the light is coming from. As Zan gets into the fight the old guy ducks behind the tough guy for protection.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adventurers have init here as the bad guys are going to swap who is in their front line. So we have Sandra, Zan and possibly Victor or another archer if they give chase, attacking the old guy's bodyguard - and Sandra also attacking the old guy before he swaps. ie two attack rounds for Sandra - and hopefully she won't kill the old guy on the first attack since I just wrote him in as still alive.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-19 at 03:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks as the old guy turns to fight her. She takes out her great sword and looks at him then the other men. She hated fighting in such close quarters. Though she had little choice it seemed. She takes the cap off her everburning torch on her belt and charges the old man. Making a thrusting attack while bringing her shield to out in front to support the blade and offer protection.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge attack +2 att -2 AC
    Attack - (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage - (2d6+3)[10]
    And the low attack rolls continue
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-12-20 at 02:32 AM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

14. - Top - End - #164

Default I'm helping, I'm helping!

Zan choked on his own tongue, thinking of what to do. It just didn't strike to him to attack his opponents directly, since melee combat was something that Sandra specialized in... something he probably couldn't override her in. He then thought of aiding her with a spell, but a few seconds of time found him to be entirely embarrased...
    Erm... what... what could I use again? There doesn't seem to be anything that can he- Even his thoughts were interrupted mid-word as he realized Sandra had left close-quarters.

"H-hey, should have stayed back here! Keep them going o-one at a time!" He gritted his teeth, realizing that they could easily gang up and beat her up at this point. Yelling in frustration and some fear, Zan tore out after Sandra, raising the Guisarme at the man that served as the old man's bodyguard.

"Sandra, DUCK!" He shouted as he attacked from a second rank behind her.

Spoiler
    Show

attack - (1d20+3)[19]
    confirm if needed - (1d20+3)[20]
    damage - (2d4+2)[8]

15. - Top - End - #165

Victor moves down into the hallway behind the line of melee combatants, drawing and knocking another arrow as he does so. I know they call you the cudgel, but... Do you do arrows, too? It's a good thing I've had practice with this kind of shot. He looses the arrow at the old man's bodyguard, attempting to take advantage of the same opening as Zan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank goodness for precise shot, indeed! Victor will try to be within the 30ft sweet spot.
    Attack - (1d20+8)[16]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[9]

16. - Top - End - #166

Sandra's big-ass sword is hampered by the small corridor and she misses her strikes but she has a chance to gauge the competency of her opponents; the old guy she judges is no fighter at all, his defence made out of desperation. A bluff to save himself for a round. The bodyguard however seems very good; perhaps... probably even better than her. He has no shield and fights with a short sword and a dagger, but he seems to be using the dagger more as a parry or shield somehow than trying to strike with it. So far anyway.

Zan manages to hit the bodyguard who is concentrating on Sandra. Victor's shot hits too but doesn't penetrate the bodyguard's armor, which appear to be little more than normal clothes. Perhaps leather or armor or a chain shirt is underneath.

Spoiler
    Show
    If either Sandra or Victor (the two fighters) make a nice sense motive I'll give you the bodyguard's fighter level. The pasageway is 5 or 6 feet wide so it's single file -- only the one guy is fighting Sandra. Since Sandra didn't take a second swing as I suggested (representing being in combat a round before Zan and Victor arrive) I'll just lose the bodyguard's first swing too. Victor's shot is at -4 still for shooting past Zan and Sandra, but not -8. I don't think that was taken into account in his roll so... Sandra and Victor miss, Zan hits.

Old guy:
    Do you think you can hold them off?

Bulldog:
    She's pretty good; I'm better.

Old guy:
    Good. Huey--- .

The old guy whispers something to the third man; a young guy who had been watching the fight from the entrance to the lit room at the end of the corridor. The young man nods in understanding, or agreement, and the old guy disappears into the room. The young man remains watching the fight but doing nothing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So back to ordinary fighting rounds with you lot to go again. Sandra, Zan, Victor vs the bodyguard.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

(ooops... must have missed that one... and that bit with the sword ment fighting defensively +2 AC -2 Attack)

Sandra grumbles a little as the small hallway hinders her movements. The limited space also limiting her ability to use the great sword one handed. She studies her opponent for a moment then rushes forward shield up and sword angled to cover her more as she attempts to push the man back wanting to get into that open room where she would be better at fighting

(So I'm assuming the old guy switched places with his body guard, and that a str check is needed to push him back)

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive - (1d20+2)[10]
    Str - (1d20+3)[10]
    Ok who changed it so all my rolls = 10?
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-12-21 at 03:27 PM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

18. - Top - End - #168

Default Divide and possibly get slashed in the face.

Zan winced at the connection between his blade and his target. He wasn't sure if he attacked hard enough, knowing that he had the interesting 'tendency' to be non-violent, especially after he accidentally cleaved that man in half outside in his first mission... the first person he had ever killed. He wouldn't forget his face anytime soon.

Shoving the thought into the back of his mind, Zan withdrew his weapon completely and began watching Sandra's movements again.

I know Sandra's no feeble woman, but I'm not sure who outclasses who, here... I'll do what I can, and then see if I can take care of that... Herbert? Huey? Whatever his name was...

Zan tucked behind Sandra for now, clearing the path for anybody from the party that wanted to get past him, but he definitely wanted to stay away from the large fighter squaring off against Sandra. Speaking of her...

"B-B-Bull's Strength!" Zan shouted, applying the spell to Akyana.

19. - Top - End - #169

Victor takes a note of the man's armor, and continues with another shot. If I can keep the big guy off Sandra long enough for her to get in the room, we might be able to catch them.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't put a -4 in my roll because the -4 would be for shooting into melee, which precise shot negates. However, until I merit the all-powerful Improved Precise Shot, enemies can still get cover. In short, I'm still effectively -4 compared to shooting the wall, but technically it's actually a +4 to his AC.
    Sense Motive - (1d20)[11]
    Attack - (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[9]

Next time, something above a 10, please, yes?
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2008-12-21 at 11:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Victor misses again. Not getting much feel from the guy's fighting style there. His AC is better than it looks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the 16 to 19 region.

Well I tried making a map but for some reason it is showing up at GitP at about 1/20th its size and unreadable going to bed...

Later. Well for now it'll have to do. Please read the letters along the lowest line of the chart.
    Um. They're a bit fuzzy... "V, Z, S, B and then a space"
    And then the doorway and behind it is an H.
    The really tiny writing just says "door" or "stairs" and the arrow indicates the direction of the front door of the Inn (which is a floor up of course).

I don't know why it's coming out so small looking on my browser. Is it the same for everyone?

Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-23 at 10:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

The bodyguard makes a large number of attacks pounding away at Sandra as she tries to push him back. He manages to hold his ground but none of his attacks get past her huge shield. An impasse if not for the wound caused by Zan. It's clear this is quite a bad hit though the fighter is shrugging it off so far.

Spoiler
    Show

attack of opportunity with short sword - (1d20+6)[11]
    possible damage - (1d6+4)[10]
    bullrush defence - (1d20+3)[18]

regular attack with short sword - (1d20+6)[15]
    possible damage - (1d6+4)[6]
    regular attack with dagger - (1d20+6)[12]
    possible damage - (1d4+1)[3]
    Hm. The only decent roll was the strength check for bullrush defence. Remember you can rage for another +4 strength btw, in addition to the +4 from Zan's spell. Back to the adventurers' turn. Counting two rounds since old guy left the scene....
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-23 at 10:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Eodrick

Eodrick points at the man.
    Dolan! guard! Keep him here!

Eodrick then rushes in to the others.
    Currently playing as:

23. - Top - End - #173

Default Please don't stab me on my nice big target-shaped robe.

Zan ran around Sandra, doing his best to try and flank the big guy. "S-Sandra, don't give up! You're the st-strongest person in Keopara, just m-make your will match your muscle!"

As he said this, he attacked the man, hoping that the "Huey" guy wouldn't butt in and cut him up.

Spoiler
    Show

attack - (1d20+5)[9]
    confirm if needed - (1d20+5)[17]
    damage - (2d4+2)[6]
    Ugh, bad roll, very bad roll. Ladies and gentlemen, do we have a scroll of true strike for anybody?
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-12-23 at 11:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra does indeed rage now. She cries out then takes her sword and lunges at the guard trying to force him back as she attacks by moving close to him as she tries slicing him with the length of her blade

Spoiler
    Show

Attack1 - (1d20+10)[23]
    Attack1confirm if needed - (1d20+10)[14]
    Attack1damage - (1d20+7)[10]
    Attack2 - (1d20+10)[26]
    Attack2confirm if needed - (1d20+10)[17]
    Attack2damage - (1d20+7)[25]
    ok of it wasn't for the attack roll... I would have gotten 5 10s in a row
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-12-24 at 11:02 AM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

(ooops)

Spoiler
    Show

Real damage
    Damage1 - (2d6+7)[13]
    Damage2 - (2d6+7)[12]
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

26. - Top - End - #176

Sandra's rage beats back the bodyguard as it simultaneously opens herself to a counter-attack and makes it harder for Victor to get a clear shot. The two fighters exchange hits but Sandra's larger and heavier sword cuts deeper. Sandra takes 9 hp damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure why Sandra had two attacks there. Is that supposed to be over two rounds? Or is that making up because I said originally Sandra would get an extra attack for arriving to the fight ahead of the others? Well at any rate Zan misses and Sandra's two hits conveniently bring the bodyguard to zero HP exactly, so we'll go with it but the bodyguard gets a hit in between those shots.

On this round he goes back to just using the sword instead of sword / dagger combo.
    Attack with short sword - (1d20+8)[20]
    damage - (1d6+4)[9]

OK so that leaves Zan and Victor to go after Bulldog says he's giving up.

Bulldog, holding his side:
    That's it... for me. You win.

He slumps against the wall, and lowers his sword, still between Sandra and the door but no longer offering resistance. Huey, the unarmed young man who has been watching the fight, sees the bodyguard slump over and slams the door closed.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-25 at 07:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Taking in the situation, Amethyst notes that there are more than enough capable fighters in the group, leaving her to do what she does best, snoop.

Not bothering to tell anyone or hide her actions she replaces the rapier she drew earlier and opens the previously unopened door to the left(?).

When the dogs are away, the vixen will play...
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

28. - Top - End - #178

Default Rest now.

Zan looked the large man over... just from the way he fell, he didn't seem dead at least, which was some ease on his spirits. Still high-strung from the battle however, Zan nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard the door slam.

"R-Right, Sandra takes front."
    He stepped behind her and looked at the door, and also noticing Sandra was wounded. Not too bad, but still, he should probably..

"Erm... c-cure light wounds."
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d8+3)[4]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

(actually I was taking 2 rounds, I forgot when we started and I thought that was what we are doing. So if the others want to take another action that's ok
    edit: Just so I know in the future, are we going to try to speed things up with two actions a post, or one?)
    Last edited by Akyana; 2008-12-27 at 02:39 AM.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra watches the door close. She was still in a blind rage and runs at the door with her opponent out of the way. Holding up her shield she throws herself against the door to break it down.

Spoiler
    Show

Break Door - (1d20+7)[14]
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount