New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Just a helpful observation, don't brutally kill me!

Zan cringed, keeping out of blade's reach of Sandra just in case she wasn't in the mood for any help from the rest of the party.

"S-Sandra, the door should still have... um, a knob? To open it? If that doesn't work, y-you could always ask somebody to p-pick it." He just didn't think there was any reason that she'd have to beat herself up just to get the door to open.
    The universe's least interesting world is this one. Yay for imagination!
    Avatar by the amazing Shades of Gray

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild 2: operation Mongoose

Sandra ignores the defeated bodyguard, perhaps correctly guessing that he's not going to sacrifice himself to give his boss another round at this point. She runs up to the door and slams it hard. Not a very accurate shot to the seasoned door smasher, but with the benefit of Zan's spell and the fact that it appears to be a perfectly ordinary door she smashes through, hardly stopping at all. On the other side of the door she finds a very surprised Huey. He appears unarmed. No weapon to hand anyway.

The room Sandra is now in is lit with a couple of oil lamps. It must have been where the inn stored its barrels as there are racks along the walls and many barrels are still here. There's a strong smell of old beer that hits Sandra almost as hard as the she hit the door. Beer smell, racks, old casks, unarmed kid (ie Huey), lamps... There's also some straw bedding down here like some one was sleeping here and some oil jars and a strong smell of oil only less noticeable because of the even worse stench of beer.

No sign of the old guy but Sandra can see that the room is a large one with many places to hide behind (big barrels mostly). About 30 feet wide and going back further than that, say fifty feet continuing in the direction Sandra was running when she hit the door -- towards where the front of the inn would be at street level. It's darker down that way but there's some light in that direction too.

Huey:
    Auugh!

Zan watches as Sandra smashes through the door moments after his warning. He can see Huey there and the bodyguard is slumped but still very much on his feet and conscious between Zan and the remains of the door. Victor, Amethyst and Shiela are immediately behind Zan. (Of course narrow as the corridor is, there's no problem getting past each other now there's no actual melee going on).

Amethyst opens the first of two doors on the left. She quickly makes an assessment; small storage room, looks like a junk room now. Would take ages to thoroughly search. No exits.

There's a clanking sound from down the end of the large barrel room Sandra is in. Metal on metal. Like hammer on anvil or sword on sword.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose it's odd how battering down doors never does you damage. Must be a trade secret of the Adventurers' Guild or something. Anyway Sandra heals 4 hp damage from Zan's spell.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-28 at 01:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183

That noise is followed by a muffled thud and a cracking sound, like someone beating up furniture.
    Spoiler
    Show

unknown mysterious NPC doing something - (1d20)[14]
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-28 at 01:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184

"Quickly, through to the end before he gets away!" Victor has reloaded, and will follow whoever is first to enter the room in the direction of the sounds.
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2008-12-28 at 07:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

Default Let's keep some blood inside.

Zan followed Sandra after peering inside the room for a few moments. Seeing as how 'Huey' was unarmed, Zan stepped back and pointed the Guisarme at him.

"F-Follow me with your hands on your head. Stay in here, and sh-she'll probably kill you." Assuming that the young man did as asked, Zan aimed to simply take him one room back to where the fight was and make the man kneel at steelpoint.

6. - Top - End - #186

Eodrick and Dolan rush into the room.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra looks at the man and was about to attack when she notices his lack of a weapon. She looks around hearing the noise and starts looking for the source. She moves quickly to the back of the room glancing from side to side, before starting to move back taking her time in searching

Spoiler
    Show

search - (1d20+2)[18]
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Amethyst

To much here to be of any use until I can take the time to go through this stuff later....on to the next room.

Being extra sure to leave the door open Amethyst heads to the next unopened door to take a look at its contents.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show
    Artax Masters - Heavy Metal Master
    Badhbh o'Byrne - Practically dead already
    Dartanian Korsikova - Wilderness man and friend to all pokemon.

9. - Top - End - #189

Sandra and Victor rush to the back of the large barrel room (with Eodrick and his dog further behind). At the back of the room on the left they find four halfling women and two halfling children tied up and on the right they see the old guy standing on a largish barrel and smashing his way through a wooden trapdoor in the low roof of a sort of alcove (presumably where beer casks were unloaded and brought down from the street above).

Old halfling woman:
    Get him! 'Es getting away!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite that "help" you get a surprise round, or at least get to go first. Both groups are a little less than 30 feet from you in either direction.

It looks like the wooden trap door or covering has already been smashed up pretty bad and daylight is poking through the hole. The old man has yet to pull himself up before he can make off.
    [hr]

Amethyst tries opening the second door on the left. It is locked. The lock looks pretty basic and she could probably pick it given a minute or two.

The bodyguard:
    "That one was locked when we got here. Say, where you from darling? That's some hair you got there." He glances around to check that the other adventurers are all in the barrel room and quickly retrieves a flask from an inside pocket and drinks from it. Almost immediately his wounds seem to heal somewhat. He winks at Amethyst. "How about you and me...." At this point Zan pushes Huey back into the corridor.
    [hr]

Eodrick smells the oil in the barrel room too; oil has been deliberately splattered around the place ready for the 'near' end of the room to be torched. There's enough wooden fittings, racks, barrels, straw bedding and so on and little ventilation here that it would likely burn through the room without setting the rest of the inn on fire - probably. Pretty dangerous what with a number of oil lamps about. It looks like Huey and "Bulldog" the bodyguard are not in a position to grab a lamp and smash it to start a fire right now, if they wanted to. But any uncontained naked flame could start something.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-12-30 at 01:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Amethyst

"Mmmm, Zan was it? Keep an extra close eye on the fellow your friend gave a beating to will you? And he appeared to take a swig of, if I'm not missing my guess, some kind of healing potion. I'm going to try and find out whats behind this mystery door here."

Pulling out her instruments Amethyst goes to work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lock pick - (1d20+5)[10]
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

Default Keep an eye on both of them? Sounds hard. Let's do it.

Zan pointed at the ground to command Huey to kneel or lay prone once more. He didn't have any rope on him, so tying him up was, unfortunately, not an option. He thought the whole situation was all nice and wrapped up until Amethyst told him some unwelcome, if needed, news.

He turned, attempting to disguise his anxiety by sipping from his flask, though it was really nearing emptiness.
    "Are you thinking about messing with us, perchance?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate - (1d20+1)[16]

Internally, he was surprised that he didn't stutter at all, but he hoped that he had struck enough fear into the bodyguard to demote resistance.
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2008-12-30 at 08:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Bodyguard:
    Not me, father. I reckon I'll be a good boy and see how this plays out. But I won't kneel down! No, sir. Besides -- ain't there more of you upstairs still? You don't need to worry about me.

Amethyst keeps trying to open the locked door.

Huey is co-operative.

13. - Top - End - #193

Default A rather mixed reaction... good show!

Zan looked quizically at the bodyguard, unsure of what to say or comment on first.

"Did you j-just call me father? Hmm... Even given m-my job, I don't get referred to as that title v-very much. Eh... b-but stop trying to distract me!" Zan shook his head and pointed the guisarme at the dissenter, switcing his glance between him and Huey often. Though he was getting agitated at the situation and feeling that he'd have to stay back in order to ensure everybody's safety, Zan decided to make the most of it, and peered down at Huey momentarily.

"W-well, um, at least you're being good. Your name is Huey, right?"

14. - Top - End - #194

"I would stop right there, friend. We'd prefer you to come with us alive." As he says this, Victor moves to get a clear shot at the old man, while still allowing room for Sandra to do the same without getting in his way. He takes aim, and nocks the arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Happy New Year!
    In another twenty minutes...

Moving to within 30ft, off to the side, readying a shot.

15. - Top - End - #195

Huey:
    Yes sir.

And then adds, "You can't hold us like this! The guild....."

Bodyguard:
    Best keep yer mouth shut lad.

Amethyst finishes opening the locked door. Inside is a small storage room with no exits. There are a lot of wooden racks with glassware and some bottles of wine. The glassware looks clean enough though a little dusty. There's a large cupboard that contains crockery.
    [hr]

The old guy already has his head stuck through the bust open trap door so he can't see very well what is going on beneath him as Victor issues the challenge. He stops struggling to get through the broken wooden exit, which is still padlocked uselessly hanging from the lock. There is a pause and then,

Old guy seems to shrug somehow:
    "Fine."

"Fine I'm coming down."

He pulls himself back out and still standing on the barrel he's using to reach up to the roof turns around to face Sandra and Victor. His head is touching the ceiling of the alcove with the trap door so he has to duck a little.

"Who the hell ARE you people?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't intend this guy would get caught, and its possible he might get away still I suppose, although i doubt it. So well done everyone!

16. - Top - End - #196

Default Fratenizing? Maybe. But hey, I need something to do, so lay off!

Zan shrugged, glad that the bodyguard took care of the uncomfortable work of stopping Huey's tirade. Some bustling noise past one of the doors indicated that perhaps his allies caught up with their target, but he was concerned with his own guard duty.

"Y-You are not one to currently address who can h-hold who. I hold no ire for you, Huey, s-since you laid up no arms against us, and I apologize if you p-perceive me as being a bit rough." Zan let out another one of his near-patented genuine, if somewhat unfitting smiles. "I intend to s-see you treated well, even under these unfortunate circumstances. I s-suppose the same goes for you, as long as you don't, erm, try anything." The last bit was directed towards the bodyguard, who Zan was informed had consumed some sort of potion.... that was a piece of information he hung onto.

"Now, f-for a moment, why don't you disregard your friend's advice.... something about the c-capture and detainment of halflings here disturbs me greatly. Do t-tell."

17. - Top - End - #197

Bodyguard:
    Weeeeell, I reckon no harm telling you some stuff in the interests of good will. There's about half a dozen halflings back there that were helping out with the work. Them and Huey. Been at it now for a few months except the last bit must have been tricky or something so two weeks ago they recruited that master tailor that you were looking for. The kid upstairs is our goffer and I'm security. I think you already met the boss too.

As for exactly what they were making well the guild is always overly secretive about that sort of stuff.

So what's your angle on all this? There's not many that would challenge the Weavers in this town. You're Adventurers, right? Is this political?

18. - Top - End - #198

Eodrick

Eodrick and Dolan go into the room where the old guy is, and makes sure he can't escape.
    Currently playing as:

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra walks over to the old man still with her sword out and points to door they came into Move she was having a time trying to control her urge to just cut him in half for now.
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

20. - Top - End - #200

Deciding that Sandra has the old guy pretty well covered for now, Victor lowers his bow, and walks over to the halflings. He cuts them loose with his dagger, keeping his bow in reach and an arrow next to it. "Do you know where there is more rope?"

21. - Top - End - #201

Default I find your good will to have a will of its own.

Zan rubbed the underside of his nose, listening to the bodyguard's story with some annoyance. "You fellows h-have some interesting ideas of what the w-ord 'recruit' means. So, this w-work constituted the typing up of the workers?" Zan shook his head and, though his weapon remained perpetually steady, he wasn't pointing it at people agressively.

"I'm g-glad you can recognize what our status is, though I'm p-puzzled to think of the idea of, um, an 'angle' as you s-said it. What do I, personally, th-think? There's something going on here that I don't l-like, but I keep it to myself. Let the sneakier ones, y-you know, find it out. I have no interest in p-politics." At least, not outward politics. I need to handle my own goals, while remaining an asset at the same time...

22. - Top - End - #202

As Zan is talking a large explosion sounds from the barrel room behind him followed immediately by a blast of hot air. The bodyguard is immediately reaching for his weapons and alert, Amethyst is still in the store room with the glassware when the explosion sounds. The door to the room is a about ten feet down the corridor from where Zan and Huey and the bodyguard stand, (well Huey isn't standing; he's prone) and the door to the barrel room about ten feet the other way.

The noise is loud enough to be heard up the stairs where Shiela and Fin are looking after Shiela's dad and the first prisoner, the young guy who has one of Victor's arrows in his backside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Separate initiatives:
    bodyguard initiative - (1d20+2)[13], vs Zan and Amethyst and Sheila if she's around.

old guy initiative - (1d20-1)[11], vs Sandra, Victor, Eodrick and his dog (goes on Eodrick's initiative) and the halfling prisoners.

The two groups are approximately 80 feet apart.
    [hr]
    Sandra and Eodrick see the old guy say something that sounds foreign, a short word, and the next thing there's a huge explosion of fire just behind them and they are diving for cover. Victor doesn't see the old man speak as he heads towards the halflings but he sees the point of explosion in front of him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK so I'm guessing this puts an end to the "holding back" part of this fight. Sandra, Victor, Eodrick and the dog make a reflex save vs DC 13 for half damage of fireball - (7d6)[29]. Since there are a lot of racks for barrels and such about the place providing partial hard cover, and the fireball was not aimed to directly be as close to you as possible for various reasons, you all get +2 on the save.
    The fireball covers a large part of the large room but it does not cover the corner where the halflings are tied up. In fact it comes from around the middle of the room. As the flash subsides a lot of the stuff in the room remains flickering with an as yet cool yellow flame. Wooden racks and barrels here and there, and straw bedding and the oil that was spilled on the ground nearer the end of the room where Zan and the others stand in the corridor.

The halflings start screaming.

Bodyguard, to Zan:
    Let's not fight father. Sounds like you might be needed back there. I'm just getting the hell out of here.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-06 at 12:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex - (1d20+6)[16]
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[12]

"Sandra, Eodrick, get him! I'll help the halflings!" Victor scrambles, but cannot quite avoid the blast, with its associated flaming stuff. He hustles to where the halflings are tied up in the corner, and begins cutting them free.
    Last edited by SithLackey; 2009-01-06 at 05:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

It's almost as if the fireball was aimed to not immediately kill the prisoners but to put them in danger of burning from the fire. There's no oil on the floor near them but there's some straw bedding here and it's starting to burn. They are otherwise all unharmed but scared and some are screaming hysterically.

Victor quickly cuts through the rope on a sturdy looking halfling woman who has the presence of mind to hold out her tied arms. She immediately grabs one of the crying kids and pulls them to their feet still tied up.

The other end of the room (near the exit which leads out the way you all came in) looks in worse shape because there was oil scattered about the place. The room could be an inferno within minutes.

Victor is badly scorched and quickly checks how his companions are doing......

25. - Top - End - #205

Default Oh, fantastic or lovely. Not sure which.

Zan's world was rather bluntly rocked by both the explosion and the bodyguard getting back to his feet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative versus bodyguard - (1d20+2)[15]

Zan's face was twisted up into a near-fury, the guisarme now threatingly poised against the bodyguard. His tone was new to this particular person's ears; signs of hesitation were now missing from his voice.

"I'm afraid I'm going to deal with you, now. Your presence troubles us too much. If you die... you die." Looking strangely guilty as well as angry, Zan struck first.
    Last edited by MK Kilmarnock; 2009-01-06 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Post-roll for initative.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandra jumps forward then moves closer to the old man taking a swing at him I was going to stop, but you attacked after surrendering, so there is no quarter for you now.

Spoiler
    Show

Ref - (1d20+4)[10]
    Init - (1d20+2)[12]
    Attack - (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage - (2d6+7)[10]
    Sandra -Character
    Podarge -Mount

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Amethyst

After the explosion, Amethyst jumps back into the hallway to see what the heck just happened. Upon seeing Zan swing at the bodyguard, who happened to have his weapons at hand, she speaks up.

Zan, hold fast, if he wants out let him leave, just let it be known that he will be held accountable for anything dire that happens here. People here don't know me here and I can 'make' proof that he was behind this failure. He won't be able to take a step outside this door without the rest of the Weavers hunting him down. What we need to take care of is putting out the fire. I can smell the lamp oil, and by the looks of things it hasn't caught just yet. If our friend the guard here doesn't wants to be able to take a piss without threat of the Weavers, he had better help for its his ass on the line if we can't take care of the fire. And if we manage to take care of things and he skips out on us, well lets just say accidents happen.....all to often I'm afraid. Can't have 'rumormongers' out and about spreading false tales about the new Doge's guild now can we.

With a certainty that the bodyguard would take her bluff as he had no reason to disbelieve her abilities, she makes her move to go help the others by putting a damper on and hazards to the building.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even though I have ways to follow through with the threat, she probably won't unless **** hits the fan, thus the bluff mention. But just in case you think is necessary...

(1d20+9)[24] - Bluff or
    (1d20+4)[16] - Intimidate

EDIT: I changed a few things per your advice, I figured she would be more persuasive to go the 'unless you help us you are screwed either way' path. Figured getting the good ole 'mob' thought process into the mix. From what I understand about the mob they were just as likely to kill the messenger of something like this and then 'take care' of the rumored screw-up, just in case. I threw in the accidents part, just in case he happens to be high up enough to not take the other bait.
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2009-01-07 at 09:29 PM.
    Characters I Play
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

Sandra hits the old man's legs as he stands on the barrel and although the blade does not slice through his clothes it hits like a hammer. He stumbles a little but remains standing still stooped over a little with head against the low ceilling in the alcove with the broken trap door above him. It's an impossible position to fight from even for a seasoned veteran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And a little dex roll for him though not a hard one to pass I think. Let's say DC equal to damage taken or fall off barrel:
    dex - (1d20-1)[14]

Old guy:
    Surrender? No! I thought we were negotiating still -- then you started treating me like a prisoner!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The DM will not be offended if this NPC dies

Old guy:
    Uh. But I could surrender now?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2009-01-07 at 09:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Eodrick and Dolan leap out of the way.
    Spoiler
    Show

Eodrick:
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Dolan: (1d20+5)[9]
    Currently playing as:

30. - Top - End - #210

Eodrick successfully leaps out of the way, but Dolan falls in a crumpling, bleeding heap...dead.
    Eodrick, despite his paladin-like oaths is enraged and charges at the Old guy with his axe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[16]
    Oof. 29 damage to a 13 hp dog. Insta-kill. If he had rolled just 3 higher on that d20, he'd be dying...but still alive.
    Currently playing as: