Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: OOTS #602 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Manoftyr View Post
    I have this suspicion that they'll have to take the curse off Belkar, only to have him die in the fighting heroically 'and somewhat uncharacteristically' defending Mr. Scruffy to the death.
    Speaking of which, where is Mr. Scruffy? He isn't seen at all in this script.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Lose this one, tho it does follow the principle noted, that Roy looks in at the crucial moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    So maybe they have to de-curse Belkar so they have a chance of fighting their way out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was my initial thought, if only because the group needs to be at full-strength.

"-Crap, that was a cutaway panel, wasn't it?"
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkriku2000 View Post
    Haley pissed me off though, even Miko would have let him de-curse him... Ok, maybe that's saying a little too much, but any LEVEL HEADED person would understand that they need all the help they can get
    At the point Haley declined the curse removal, they didn't know they were going into a fight with the thieves' guild. She was probably planning to sneak into Toad Hall, take out the bone golem, resurrect Roy, and get out of there quick.

That would have taken planning and discipline, which would have made a healthy Belkar a liability. Belkar would probably get bored half way through, set something on fire, and raise the alarms, possibly preventing them from even getting to the golem.

Now that the thieves' guild is on them, the situation is different, but it's far from clear that Belkar would actually side with Haley rather than with the thieves' guild at this point.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDinadan View Post
    I find it slightly unusual that Haley chose Durkon of all people, given her connections to both V and Elan. However it is probably the best choice, given that Elan would probably screw up somehow and V (had he not already departed) would have been likely to try to go off and rescue them on his own rather than cooperating with the others.
    Durkon may not be easy to describe, but he's easily the most level-headed of the 3.

Also, wasn't he with Roy the earliest? So that would make him the right contact by rank, also.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder why Celia would interest Bozzak, or is it because she was involved in stealing from someone who paid full protection from them.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    He'll be in at least two. He has to die in one of them.
    Even though this is the logical assumption, Technically he could be killed off screen with some one describing how painful his death looked. lol however it is more likely that he will get more than one comic.

btw great comic.
    Last edited by Llaqus; 2008-10-21 at 07:03 PM.
    What Character are you?

Lawful Good Human Paladin/Monk (2nd/1st Level).

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 16
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 17
    Charisma- 10

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Great strip, and one of my favorites as of late!

And I like this cleric - he's got Elan-like mastery of genre conventions, and he already delivered a great line ("I don't want to die, I've only been in one strip so far!").
    If he doesn't want to die, he should tell them his name.

Oh, and BTW, I assume Haley chose Durkon for the contact because he's the one that can cast resurrection in something goes wrong with the priest of Loki.
    Last edited by dps; 2008-10-21 at 07:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

I bet Belkar's regretting saving Haley's skin right about now.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

nooooes! I liked pete. But I bet they're gonna stab him in the back. Literally or figuratively. Why? Because they can. Not that I'd bet a whole lot on it though...

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Court sorcerer of House Kato.

Tuna-preparer of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. I didn't.

Magioth made my avatar!

The SECOND member of the fanclub!!!

Sequinox

And the Dark Lord on his Dark Throneitp, where the shadows lie.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Doubly spoiled b/c the Giant sometimes changes things just to go against predictions.
    Spoiler
    Show

I really hope Belkar gets healed out of desperation now, followed by a sweet combat. And I really hope they don't just sneak away and leave him there to die.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #221

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    It looks like they won't have much of a choice regarding curing Belkar. I wonder if the Cleric will be that useful? We know he's less then level 13.
    Yes, but not all of the Thieves Guild are necessarily at Haley's level. Crystal gets free XP for being Haley's rival, but the others don't. So it's possible that the cleric could be, say, level 10, and still be able to hold his own against other Guild members.

And he might, out of desperation, decide to cut a deal with Belkar. "I cure you, you stab the guys trying to kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I'm Guessing Rich houserules that the effects are a Curse, the Mark itself is not. the cleric can end effects, but without knowledge of password, cannot end Mark.
    I got the impression that the cleric was about to remove the MoJ until Haley stopped him. Maybe Shojo always used the same password for his Marks, and this cleric knows it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyway, I'm kind of hoping we see Pete's double-cross become a triple-cross in a strip or two, but on the other hand, even with his eyes back he's probably not much of a combatant. Unless maybe he's made arrangements to depose Bozzok as leader of the Guild.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

His name is eagle eyed Pete, or was. That means he was probably a sniper. That means sneak attack damage, which you also get on a flank. They heal his eyes, Belkar is healed, Pete attacks from behind, and mass death ensues. Or Pete just stays a double crosser and runs off, which would be more fitting, but sudden character change has its virtues. I'm not even sure how I would continue this one, so I can hardly make specific predictions.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #223

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't consider it a sudden character change if Pete's double-cross of Haley turns out to actually be a triple-cross of Bozzok. I'd simply consider it...revenge. Pete's had decades of blindness because of Bozzok, and getting the eyes gouged out (twice) wouldn't have been pleasant either. I know I'd want some payback if an opportunity presented itself.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Has anyone else noticed that the Cleric looks suspiciously similar to Red Cloak? Y'know, black garb, golden amulet, red cloak?

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragoon View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the Cleric looks suspiciously similar to Red Cloak? Y'know, black garb, golden amulet, red cloak?
    Ditto the cleric from the evil adventuring party that attacked the Greenhilts in Celestia.

Why's it "suspicious" exactly?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, most characters in OotS usually have pretty original clothing. Now, we have a cleric walking around dressed exactly like another cleric. What I'm saying is, he looks too similar for it to be just a coincidence. Polymorph, perhaps? But then the question is raised: why would Red Cloak be helping the Order? Hmm........

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragoon View Post
    Well, most characters in OotS usually have pretty original clothing. Now, we have a cleric walking around dressed exactly like another cleric. What I'm saying is, he looks too similar for it to be just a coincidence. Polymorph, perhaps? But then the question is raised: why would Red Cloak be helping the Order? Hmm........

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
    Not "exactly" alike, actually. Redcloak's cloak (and the cloak of all (hob)goblin clerics we've seen) is visibly tattered, his armor doesn't have shoulder blades, and he doesn't wear boots. Also the center of his amulet is white (after the art upgrade), this guy's is red.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe I'm looking to much into it, but I can't help but think that the clerics lines are a reference to the Character Appearance thread. He doesn't want to be an unnamed character appearing in only one strip.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music if folk-punk is your thing

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

The way Pete keeps referring to Haley as "Ian's girl" makes me wonder if there's some connection to Lord Tyrinar.
    Thank you Ceika for the avatar

20. - Top - End - #230

ClericGuy

Really hope that cleric unleashes Belkar to save his own skin. Problem is the "release the really nasty fighter on the enemy when they have the rest of the team on the ropes" thing is really cliche, so I doubt it will happen. Still, I want my old school Belkar back.

21. - Top - End - #231

I don't think Belkar will turn on Haley and Celia.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's wanted for multiple murders in Greysky, and he was desperate to get out of town last time he was here.

Thieves Guild or not, I doubt he'd want to hang around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Crazy theory here: Crystal's a rogue (I assume)
    She's an assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendly_Nut View Post
    More important (to the Giant):
    I found a little error in the 12th panel (the first one of the second page):
    Haley says "If he activated the curse, than he likley killed somebody ..."

AFAIK "than" is used for comparison (... bigger than ...) while this sentence requires a "then" with an "e". (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm NOT a native speaker.)
    You are correct. It's an error. Nice catch.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They'll probably heal Belkar to help in the fight, he'll see that they're on the losing side, so he'll side up with the Thieves' Guild. Totally in-character for him.

23. - Top - End - #233

Ah, so that's where the "a" from Bozzok (formerly "Bozzak" in Origin) got off to.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I don't think Belkar will turn on Haley and Celia.
    Probably not right away. Those people busting down the door don't in the mood to offer him anything better than a quick death.
    Longer term: Well, the good news is that Belkar doesn't think long term and may forget their sin if he has a good fight first.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's wanted for multiple murders in Greysky, and he was desperate to get out of town last time he was here.
    Origin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The details are a bit vague, but it seems that Roy hires everybody in some hick town not far from Greysky and so Belkar is not wanted for murder in Greysky, at least not because of that incident.
    We are told Haley stayed out of Greysky, and Belkar is apparently still in the town where he had his fun. So the two would seem to be not far from Greysky, but not in it.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Pixie in the Playground

Poor Durkon, its not nice when all your primary characteristics are dwarf clichès.

Why does that city reminds me a bit to Ankh-Morpork from the personality of its inhabitants, i mean from the opportunity taking point of view.
    But then again i wonder how any normal people can actualy live in that city considering that it doesn't look like anyone without a pc type of class might be able to survive in it till adulthood.

26. - Top - End - #236

Spoiler
    Show
    The Cleric's name is obviously Blackarmor... because he wears a red cloak.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike62 View Post
    Who needs the Belkster, Haley and Celia? You are about to, when the Guild starts to lay a beat down on you.

Huzzahs for a way to get the Belkster back in action, the #1 source of HUMOUR, in a comic (caps for all those who want him gone)
    Agreed! You can never have enough Belkar!

28. - Top - End - #238

Celia's going to hover above the door and drop Belkar on them as they come in.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus93 View Post
    Nice one, Giant. I always had a feeling that Pete would betray them. . . and I thought that the cleric of Loki was a Dwarf?
    It never said that in the comic, so why did you think that? Probably because everyone was saying that cleric of Loki = Hilgya, because apparently there's only one cleric of Loki in the world...

30. - Top - End - #240

Personally im hoping he does come back, but for everyone screaming for it many of you will be screaming for him to be "justly punished for being a naughty naughty halfling" the second he starts killing random people again.