New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: OOTS #602 - The Discussion Thread

He's got to stay alive, at least until he gets his job done otherwise this latest series of Haley-Belkar-Celia comics will have all been for nothing, because nothing will have been acheived. They wouldn't be any closer to raising Roy and it would just be a waste of time and effort.

Not to mention it would probably piss a lot of folks off.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe a bit left field, and I'm not certain of the rules, but . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    They are mainly after Haley and the Cleric, Haley gets captured. Celia tells the cleric to remove the curse from Belkar, then somehow gets out with Belkar + Scroll. Now whilst Belkar never remembers, doesn't being a ranger let him read the scroll to resurrect Roy?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    Maybe a bit left field, and I'm not certain of the rules, but . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    They are mainly after Haley and the Cleric, Haley gets captured. Celia tells the cleric to remove the curse from Belkar, then somehow gets out with Belkar + Scroll. Now whilst Belkar never remembers, doesn't being a ranger let him read the scroll to resurrect Roy?
    Low Wisdom. So, no.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    His name is eagle eyed Pete, or was. That means he was probably a sniper. That means sneak attack damage, which you also get on a flank.
    You don't flank with ranged weapons

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio II View Post
    Low Wisdom. So, no.
    Also, Resurrection is not on the Ranger Spell list.

Celia overruling Haley again, however, is quite doable.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phishfood View Post
    Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to commemorate the death of our dear friend 4th wall. He was a good wall badly abused...
    I think your a bit late on the funeral there pal.

'bout..............400 strips late.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by randomnondescri View Post
    Twenty minutes?
    Haley's hair isn't that long....
    If you take the time to really savor the experience... it can take a very long time indeed...
    Disciple Primus of Belkar, The Redeemer.
    Church of Banjo (Orthodox)

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trizap View Post
    I think your a bit late on the funeral there pal.

'bout..............400 strips late.
    Closer to 600 actually.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    We are here for the ride, not the destination. This looks to be a fun detour.
    It's looking more like yet another pothole, and it gets a bit tiring to have the driver keep aiming for them.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DBear View Post
    The way Pete keeps referring to Haley as "Ian's girl" makes me wonder if there's some connection to Lord Tyrinar.
    umm...duh? #131

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragoon View Post
    Well, most characters in OotS usually have pretty original clothing. Now, we have a cleric walking around dressed exactly like another cleric. What I'm saying is, he looks too similar for it to be just a coincidence. Polymorph, perhaps? But then the question is raised: why would Red Cloak be helping the Order? Hmm........

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
    Actually a better question is why, after it's been pointed out that three different clerics look the same, you don't think it's a cleric thing to wear similar clothes? Ok, Durkon hasn't got a cloak, but he does wear armour and an amulet.

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    I wonder why Celia would interest Bozzak, or is it because she was involved in stealing from someone who paid full protection from them.
    If Bozzak kills Haley but leaves Celia, she might retalliate later. It's just logical to do away with any of your enemies associates you can. Also the stealing thing - maybe grubwiggler will take her body as part of the guild's compensation?
    Spoiler
    Show

I prepared Explosive Runes this morning
    Sexy Shoeless God of War worshiper
    Proud member of the reformed church of Banjo and the Elan Fan-Club
    Warning: Don't Click this link!!! Don't click it!!

Thanks to Ceika for the fantastic avatar!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Technically, that would be 589. I can one-up you (literally) and make it an even 590. Heck, Belkar's even OUTSIDE the panel in that one!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.A. View Post
    umm...duh? #131
    If Bozzak kills Haley but leaves Celia, she might retalliate later. It's just logical to do away with any of your enemies associates you can. Also the stealing thing - maybe grubwiggler will take her body as part of the guild's compensation?
    Grubwiggler told then that Celia's body is his property.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

I really doubt the church of Loki has forgiveness as one of its tenants or is happy about the thieves guild blackmailing them. I wonder if they will be overly happy about healing pete.

Also are three theives about to go up against a cleric, a rouge, ranger, and arcane caster? Does that seem like a really stupid idea to anyone else, the cleric should stand a good chance of insto-killing one them, and Belkar will probably stomp anyone of them. And if Celia has a save or lose spell...
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah, ROA, that was very informative. I'm talking about blind Pete or the Thieve's Guild here. Try not to be so insulting next time.
    Thank you Ceika for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #255

WolfInSheepsClothing

Roy Can be up and fighting as soon as they find that bone in the boot

Spell completetion:
    This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished..... Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.
    He has a scroll of ressurection. He doesn't need 10 minutes , he just needs the body and a standard action.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

OOtoPCs spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, isn't the halfling Hank? He's friendly with Haley, so... maybe we should expect a betrayal to Bozzak?

Also, there seem to be two typos: "than" instead of "then" (Haley) and "Bozzok" instead of "Bozzak"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Also, Resurrection is not on the Ranger Spell list.
    Actually, it doesn't matter if it's on his spell list or not. As long as it's a scroll of a Divine spell, a Ranger can cast from the scroll, if he has a high enough Wisdom score.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragoon View Post
    Actually, it doesn't matter if it's on his spell list or not. As long as it's a scroll of a Divine spell, a Ranger can cast from the scroll, if he has a high enough Wisdom score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master's Guide, page 238
    To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.
    - The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells.
    - The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
    And of course, Belkar has nowhere near 17 wisdom.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

19. - Top - End - #259
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    Ditto the cleric from the evil adventuring party that attacked the Greenhilts in Celestia.
    That reminds me...does Roy get XP for that fight?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SnailMan View Post
    OOtoPCs spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, isn't the halfling Hank? He's friendly with Haley, so... maybe we should expect a betrayal to Bozzak?

Also, there seem to be two typos: "than" instead of "then" (Haley) and "Bozzok" instead of "Bozzak"
    Spoiler
    Show
    He does constantly skim off the guild take... However, if he does help Haley, I'd expect subtle.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't think Bozzak knows that Celia is still alive, most of Grubwiggler's specimens are dead. Even if he did, he did tell Grubwiggler he'd do something about it and he seems like a pretty big customer.

It reminds you of Discworld because there everything is set up by The Guilds. The Thieves' Guild also promises protection for payment, with a serious sentence for anyone who desires to break this system.

I wonder if I'm the only one who likes Bozzak, Crystal and The Halfling's characters - They seem more suave and organized than the other mindless robbers. Other than Crystal, they come across as thieves but at least they have a more unique touch.

Bozzak is a full orc, right? How come he's so smart (as to be the leader of an entire guild of backstabbers and still staying alive)? I thought they all started out dumb. Even the non-barbarian ones.

They might be lower than Haley and the others (though really they seem to be at this for years, they must have some experience) but I still think it'd be tough. Didn't Blind Pete mention Guild Secrets? I bet some of those were combat-oriented too......

By the way, didn't the comic break the fourth wall in the very first comic by announcing that the character were being upgraded to 3.5?
    Last edited by Super_slash2; 2008-10-23 at 04:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Super_slash2 View Post
    Bozzak is a full orc, right? How come he's so smart (as to be the leader of an entire guild of backstabbers and still staying alive)? I thought they all started out dumb. Even the non-barbarian ones.
    This is a world where goblins are medium sized. Regular rules do not nessarily apply, and they don't need to. OotS has been a story-centric comic for around 400 strips, so and occasional rules-unlikelihood for the sake of the story is to be expected. Hell, if Rich adhered to the D&D rules religiously OotS would never have evolved past the "I think I just failed a spot check" era.
    Last edited by Lord_Butters_I; 2008-10-23 at 02:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Butters_I View Post
    -4 on an 18 is still 14.
    Considering the comic logic, he palmed his dices during stat rolls.
    But now that it has been pointed, I expect someone to say that Bozzak is Thog and/or Therkla father/uncle, and that Mr. Burlew will delivery us the "Not all orcs are stupid, you know racist human!" line.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    That reminds me...does Roy get XP for that fight?
    Good question. That'd be useful if he has to come back minus a level.
    What gives you the impression he's a full orc? I thought only half-orcs were a player race, and every single one we've encountered EXCEPT for Thog has appeared to be of average intelligence (more or less).

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

What does "player race" have to do with anything? Bozzak isn't a PC.

26. - Top - End - #266

The majority of the characters with class levels seem to be from the PC races. Not all of them, obviously. But enough so that I'd assume an orcish-looking character with levels was a half-orc unless I was specifically told otherwise.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Incidentally, Bozzok is seemingly not a typo, as he is called that here in his first appearance in the online strip, and every time he is mentioned thereafter he is referred to as Bozzok, so it seems like The Giant just decided to change his name for some reason or another.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

Therkla was a half-orc and only had lower fangs. Bozzok has both, so I kind-of assumed that half-orcs were represented by having only half of the normal traits. Like The Half-Elf, whose name I can't remember - he only had one pointy ear.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    Roy Can be up and fighting as soon as they find that bone in the boot
    Why does everyone think there was a bone in the boot just because there was a rattle sound effect?
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

30. - Top - End - #270

Therkla was a half-orc and only had lower fangs. Bozzok has both, so I kind-of assumed that half-orcs were represented by having only half of the normal traits.
    Oh, that's actually a pretty good reason. The (I think) half-orc barbarian Hak-Tonog the Moderately Incontinent only had lower fangs too. But the horse handler Vaarsuvius blew up had two sets and he spoke normally. Either he and Bozzok are very intelligent full orcs or the Giant is a little inconsistent on that issue.