New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    ?
    Ah, sorry. I shouldn't have said that knowing I wouldn't be able to reply immediately.

From a linguist's perspective, "ain't" is a real word simply by virtue that it has a commonly understood meaning and is used in conversation.

Also, double+ negatives are grammatically acceptable. And you can end your sentences with a preposition as much as you want.
    wooOOOooOOoooOooooOOOOooo

It's getting close to Halloween, so I thought I'd try scaring people a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    Listen to Lemur. He's a wise guy.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

I found this on the internet, and thought a few people might enjoy this.

Hamlet (an LOLCat Translation)

2 BE, OR NOT 2 BE : DAT IZ TEH QUESHUN:
    WHETHR TIS NOBLR IN DA MIND 2 SUFFR
    TEH SLINGS AN ARROWS OV OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE,
    OR 2 TAEK ARMS AGAINST SEA OV TROUBLEZ, AN BY OPPOSIN END THEM? 2
    DYE: 2 SLEEP;
    NO MOAR; AN BY SLEEP 2 SAY WE END
    TEH HART-ACHE AN TEH THOUSAND NACHURAL SHOCKZ
    DAT FLESH IZ HEIR 2, TIS CONSUMMASHUN
    DEVOUTLY 2 BE WISHD. 2 DYE, 2 SLEEP;
    2 SLEEP: PERCHANCE 2 DREAM: AY, THARS TEH RUB;
    4 IN DAT SLEEP OV DEATH WUT DREAMS CUD COME
    WHEN WE HAS SHUFFLD OFF DIS MORTAL COIL,
    MUST GIV US PAUSE: THARS TEH RESPECT
    DAT MAKEZ CALAMITY OV SO LONG LIFE...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #423
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Cool. But yes, we're pretty stubborn. It's the 'stiff upper lip' thing.
    We are also bloodthirsty beyond belief. Heck, we cut off a king's head just to prove that we could. And then, when we got bored with his replacement, we had him hung, drawn, quartered and his bits toured around the country for the lulz. Then we invited back the old king's son, but kicked out his brother for being tedious and overly French.

As a people the inhabitants of the Brutish Isles do not cope well with boredom.

-----

ION: A fun start to the weekend.

Yay, new steampunk comic. Is very good.

Kevin Kelly babbles on about the Internet being a hivemind (No more lemonade, mescalin and shampoo cocktails for you old son).

French are still going "Waaaaaah!" over a battle fought in 1415 which, suffice it to say, they lost: link

I'm off to limber up my frog-whacking stick and take Miss Eggy to the docs (she is teh wobbly).
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-10-25 at 06:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    We are also bloodthirsty beyond belief. Heck, we cut off a king's head just to prove that we could. And then, when we got bored with his replacement, we had him hung, drawn, quartered and his bits toured around the country for the lulz. Then we invited back the old king's son, but kicked out his brother for being tedious and overly French.

Explain the persistence of cricket, then.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Explain the persistence of cricket, then.
    "Sir! I have invented a new offensive weapon- this vaguely sword-shaped wooden club."

"But what excuse could one possibly have to carry it around in public?"

"Perhaps...some sort of sporting activity?"

6. - Top - End - #426

I'm off to limber up my frog-whacking stick and take Miss Eggy to the docs (she is teh wobbly).
    Won't crack any yokes over this about bad eggs.

Also, I went to a party today and came back with pavlova. We have by far to much for a normal human to eat in our house at the moment.

It's a delicious predicament to be in.
    Inner Circle The Cookie Raid

Spoiler
    Show
    Credits: Avatar; ChrisTP Signature: Sneak, Trog, Ceika and Gengy
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Life is the set up and Death's the punchline line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    I give you the Master of sarcasm, (and puns).
    DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Aww, dammit! You know I can't smite you when you're wearing those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Death is back? Squee!

So, how's everyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Good, but not too impressed by Twilight. Not impressed at all. I don't really like it. Now, I'll go back to finding more ways to be redundant. I'm going to sit and ponder ways to be redundant.
    This avatar by Phase.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Death is back? Squee!

So, how's everyone?
    I'm doing okay; balancing on the verge of implacable rage mixed with the siren's song of omnicidal mania, as usual. Hopefully listening to "Snuff" by Slipknot over and over will eventually lull me into depression and then I plan on being unconscious sometime in the next couple hours. It's all good.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I found this on the internet, and thought a few people might enjoy this.
    I certainly hope things like that could only be found on the webnets. Hehe.
    I think my brain just broke a little bit.
    Uh... I mean... mah brain iz teh broke'd D:
    Last edited by Ego Slayer; 2008-10-25 at 11:38 AM.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, the internet.
    Spawn of brilliance, and of course...Abject terror.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Ah, the internet.
    Spawn of brilliance, and of course...Abject terror.
    That video brought me great enjoyment.

But you have not appeased me.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's true. I'm very easily bored; but I have a well - trained, acive imagination. And I do enjoy English history, it's all rather fun or muddly; but surprisingly easy going.
    King's had six wives, one after the other? Meh.
    Rebel? Sure why not; it'll pass some time until the next time the sun's seen.
    Behead a king? Noone else's done it before. 'K, let's do it.
    Weather's too rainy and cold for us? I've heard the rest of the world has better weather; let's go take over some place until we get bored and leave.
    Can't be bothered to do anything? Let's all sneer at everytone else regardless of who, what or where they are.
    Don't whant to do any of these other things? write something.

French are still going "Waaaaaah!" over a battle fought in 1415 which, suffice it to say, they lost: link

*sniggers*
    History books seldom have any impact on people. After all Richard III was an 'evil' king and that's what the majority believe. Because of Shakespeare.
    Now, who wrote Henry V: one of the most read plays written; based on one of the most famous battles in English and French history?
    Oh, right. William Shakespeare.
    No matter what 'revisionist' historians (who're only revisionist because that means they aren't repeating what all who have come before have said) say or decide Agincourt will always be the tiny English army of peasants who marched over one - fifth (?) of France to go home; suffering from dysentery and whooped the butt of an enormous French army of noblemen, thoroughly humiliating the French.
    And you can hardly apply modern terms like 'war criminals' to back then any more than you can to cavemen or the Celts and Romans.
    Now the Romans; they commited genocide, but how many people know that outside of historians?!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Or how about this little thing about English history.

Queen has no husband, marries influential Dutch guy (Prince Willem III of Orange-Nassau, AKA, King William III of England) no, gets the new King to have the Republic attack England, gets the King to get into peace negotiations with himself.

End result: The English steal all Dutch colonies of real value, and some more.

Yes, I'm bitter, why do you ask?
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

15. - Top - End - #435

Eh, we're all bitter. *runs quickly through monarch list*
    Henry VIII
    Edward VI
    Mary I
    Lizzie I
    James I
    Charles I
    [The Rather Nasty Business With That Cromwell Fellow, don'tcherknow - Frightful Bore. Loved His Warts.]
    Charles II
    Mary and William III?
    The Georges?
    Wait, how does the King get into peace discussions with himself?
    To Wikimepedia I go.

As you can tell I'm well versed in history from Henry VIII to Lizzie I (actually I can go from Wars of the Roses until Lizzie quite well). Then know the Kings until CII. Very, very little after that until around aout Miss Victoria.
    Funny thing about that - every year they publish a new Read A Poem A Day book; I got one for Christmas when I was about seven or eight and naturally, I looked up my familys' birthday poems.
    My brother, being an almost - Halloween baby, had the Witches chant from Macbeth (you know the one).
    My sister, being an almost - Christmas baby, had s really cute Christmas poem.
    My other brother, and both parents had very nice ones as well.
    Me, I got a recital of the Kings and Queens of England from William the Conqueror until Lizzie II's grandfather. No dates, but all their names.
    And I loved history even before that.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, how does the King get into peace discussions with himself?
    Well, King William III of England is known as Prince William III of Orange-Nassau over here, and he was both the King of England and the Stadtholder of the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.

As such, he was in charge of both the English and the Dutch armies/fleets, which he made fight each other for an elaborate scheme to get Dutch colonies into English hands.

Of course, it might be viewed differently from the English side, I know enough about history that it tends to be coloured by politics and the motivations of those who teach you about history.

As an example, the Dutch Revolt was essentially a power struggle between the Dutch who disliked meddling high ups and the Spanish who wanted more control.

You know what they tell children in school? That the Dutch Revolt (conveniently renamed the 80 Year War) was a battle about the Dutch Protestants fighting for their right to be Protestant.

Note, this was indeed one of the things that is covered by 'disliking meddling high ups', and it was indeed one of the things we were fighting for, but it was only a very minor part of the war. In fact, it gets very little mention in the Act of Abjuration (The Dutch Declaration of Independence), which would be surprising if one assumes the DR was about religion, and not just a power struggle.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone mentioned that Richard the Lionheart was a horrible leader and his brother actually taxed the rich rather than the poor.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

"I only steal from the rich, no, it's not noble, the poor just don't have anything worthy of stealing." - Unnamed thief
    ٩๏̯͡๏

19. - Top - End - #439

Ah. Makes sense, and yes, history is pretty much governed by winners and which country you're in so it's probably different here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that Richard the Lionheart was a horrible leader and his brother actually taxed the rich rather than the poor.
    I was going to in my second to last post, but forgot.
    Richard I only spent two out of five years of his reign in England. Spkoe no English and cost a fortune to ransom out of France.
    John on the other hand was the one who signed the Magna Carta, so was hated by the nobles - possible explanation for being Evil Prince John?

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Well it put a new perspective on Robin Hood regardlessly.
    My new website/blog:

21. - Top - End - #441

Ah. Makes sense, and yes, history is pretty much governed by winners and which country you're in so it's probably different here.

I was going to in my second to last post, but forgot.
    Richard I only spent two out of five years of his reign in England. Spkoe no English and cost a fortune to ransom out of France.
    John on the other hand was the one who signed the Magna Carta, so was hated by the nobles - possible explanation for being Evil Prince John?
    OBJECTION!!!!!

It was the duke of Austria who arrested him. Our money system is based at the ransom we got from the English... I think we never would be independent from Bavaria if our Duke hadn't got this money...
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    OBJECTION!!!!!

It was the duke of Austria who arrested him. Our money system is based at the ransom we got from the English... I think we never would be independent from Bavaria if our Duke hadn't got this money...
    France, Austria, the states where Germany is now, they're all not here. Privately I'm amazed I can even tell where they all are on an unmarked map of Europe, but my immense lack of geographical knowledge aside, I didn't study Richard I and only have a hazy knowledge of him.
    Oh, he was in the Third Crusade as well.
    I think.
    Definitely in one of them. Not the First. That was late C11th and England was only in the Third, so that's most likely.
    But it's nice to know that ransoms hep fund countries. And Bavaria does have the leather leiderhosen (stereotypically) so there's another reason to be thankful.

And my Sparta 'tatoo' is still nicely standing out. Classics class has a mini - cult of Spartans who draw its symbol on their left hand.
    We recently added the Penguin God 'tatoo' to the right hand. It was meant to be an owl, but it went wrong in the initial drawing of it so it became a penguin. Plus it links quite nicely to the Discs' equivalent of Athene, patron goddess of Athens and Attica, so it still works.
    It does however, mean that the left and right hands of every member are either at war with one another or very hostilely peaceful.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

He was indeed in the third crusade. He was also planning to get one of his relatives to marry into Saladin's family.
    My new website/blog:

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    He was indeed in the third crusade. He was also planning to get one of his relatives to marry into Saladin's family.
    Come on, you don't think the Crusades were about something else than power, do you?

Historically speaking, you can boil down 100% of wars down to power (from at least one side)
    ٩๏̯͡๏

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

This is fun.

My mother wants me to spend a week living as a student over half-term.
    Yah know, when my birthday is. When I should be relaxing and just enjoying myself.
    However, she spent some unknown time today hiding all the food.
    Now, I'm being stubborn and refusing to play along. I'm not doing anything this week. My time. So I've assembled a small store of food she missed to last a couple days, or a week with rationing.
    She thinks I'll cave.
    She underestimates me.

I'm now going to be playing role of detective and survivalist.
    I have to make two tubes of pringles, a multipack of minichedders, half a box of cereal, a tin of unidentified biscuits and two half full bottles of milkshake mix last a week. Milk for the milkshake won't be a problem, as I can sneak that easy.
    I'm also going to hunt down where she has stored the food. This is my house. I spend more time here than anybody else. I can find this stuff.

The woman needs to learn that I am not the idiot she assumes.
    That I will not bow to her rules so simply.
    That I am in charge of my life and not her.

Now... to deductions and plans.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    Come on, you don't think the Crusades were about something else than power, do you?

Historically speaking, you can boil down 100% of wars down to power (from at least one side)
    Nearly all wars have more than one motivation and marrying into each others family wasn't necessarily about power, Richard and Saladin were said to be good friends, maybe he didn't want to have kill him?
    My new website/blog:

27. - Top - End - #447
    Colossus in the Playground

Jibar, if you need an airdrop or two, there's probably someone itP who can arrange that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

The exact details of wars differ, but war is, was, and most likely will be about power. They just cover it up a lot. (Not to mention wait for an event they can use to cover it up)

That Jeruzalem was a pilgrim's destination made it a very good excuse to kick the backsides of the people who were in control. It was still about power.

The thing about power is that it is addictive, and that is the true reason that power corrupts, as those who have power always seek for more.

As such, leaders make pretty stories about why they need to do something that will increase their power if it goes as desired.

Note, an effective way to increase power is to keep your populace happy, and if your populace wants the chance to go on a pilgrimage to Jeruzalem, providing them with that is a handy tool to keep them happy.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

I know for a fact that the first crusade(not too sure about the others) was not only motivated by power, and according to Thomas Asbridge it's foolish to think so(but he's really arrogant). Many people went purely out of religious devotion, there wasn't much power to be gained after all.
    My new website/blog:

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    This is fun.

My mother wants me to spend a week living as a student over half-term.
    Yah know, when my birthday is. When I should be relaxing and just enjoying myself.
    However, she spent some unknown time today hiding all the food.
    Now, I'm being stubborn and refusing to play along. I'm not doing anything this week. My time. So I've assembled a small store of food she missed to last a couple days, or a week with rationing.
    She thinks I'll cave.
    She underestimates me.

I'm now going to be playing role of detective and survivalist.
    I have to make two tubes of pringles, a multipack of minichedders, half a box of cereal, a tin of unidentified biscuits and two half full bottles of milkshake mix last a week. Milk for the milkshake won't be a problem, as I can sneak that easy.
    I'm also going to hunt down where she has stored the food. This is my house. I spend more time here than anybody else. I can find this stuff.

The woman needs to learn that I am not the idiot she assumes.
    That I will not bow to her rules so simply.
    That I am in charge of my life and not her.

Now... to deductions and plans.
    Is it wrong that I laughed at this?
    I suggest you also mooch off friends at their houses as often as possible. And bread.
    She can't hide the bread.
    I know friends who survived three days on bread and cheese. They ran out of cheese halfway through day two; and survived on bread for the rest of the time.
    They were at a friends' house and couldn't be bothered to go shopping.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!