New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

Quote Originally Posted by Zakama View Post
    How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie pop?

OVER 9000!!!!
    Zakama, that was awesome.

Somehow through a series of links I managed to get to this. Funny how you can get to almost anything on Youtube.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    The proper name would drive you all to insanity, as the place's first resident was Cthulhu. He has a summerhome there.
    And doesn't that explain all the people who went to unimaginable lengths to get it.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    <trim a lot of interesting Dutch perspective on Dutch history - cheers Gezina>

In fact, it gets very little mention in the Act of Abjuration
    Coolest name for a law ever (at least, outside the field of Roman jurisprudence). I just get an image of dozens of plump, richly-dressed Dutch burghers standing in circles gesticulating and chanting in Old High German.

Just because you English refuse to spell Jeruzalem right doesn't make the correct spelling wrong.
    We both fail at spelling Heirosolyma.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-10-26 at 09:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    That's correct. If archaeologists would work harder, they might find the collection of throwaway paperback novels he'd read while vacationing there.
    Such as the well-renowned for one summer then forgotten "Requiem for a Screaming Nightmare, Oh God I Can't Close My Eyes." or the famed self-help book: "So Every Mortal You Meet Commits Suicide: Coming to Terms With Your status as a Godless Abomintion."

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Having your security alarm go off at 4 in the morning for no apparent reason does not lead to a relaxing night of sleep. Apparently it does lead to a blinding headache, and a 5 year old who somehow manages to sleep thru...well...a security alarm going off at 4 in the morning. And still gets up full of energy a couple of hours later.

To make matters worse, being pregnant during this whole thing nearly guarantees that the baby will awaken when you do, and start kicking every spot you try to lay on to get comfortable, and generally stepping on your bladder. Multiple times.

*sighs*

Well, at least it wasn't someone actually breaking in at 4am.

*goes to get more coffee*
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

6. - Top - End - #486
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    If you want the most correct spelling, it's Kudüs. Not Jerusalem or Jeruzalem or anything like that.

So, fail.
    I'm going to have to jump on the "naming Jerusalem" bandwagon with "Ierusalim". No "z"s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #487
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "I'm never calling it that."

Anyone who gets that reference can have TWO cookies.
    Titan AE.
    Great film; wonderful flight and chase scenes.
    Cookies please.

Pretty much no place is spelt the same in another language; but they're often recognisable. However, I suppose it depends on the alpphabet and language family.
    London - English (Indo - European family)
    London - German (see above)
    Londinium - Latin (see above)
    Londres - French (see above)
    Londen - Afrikaans
    Lontoo - Finnish (Uralic family)
    Lākana - Hawaian (Malayo - Polynesian family)
    Londra - Turkish (Altaic family)

Actually, now I think about it, choosing London may not have been the best choice as it does look fairly familiar. Hawaian might pose a bit of a problem though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Londen - Afrikaans
    Naturally, the bolded one is the only correct spelling. All others are just posers.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Since lunch today, I've been feeling delightfully antisocial.
    Meh. My repressed cynicism kicked in in full force.

I wonder how long it'll take to go away. I'm guessing two or three days.
    This avatar by Phase.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Israel is big on cities with millions of scary-spelled names. There's one that is STILL called three things:

Acre
    Akko
    Akka

And historically it was Aak, Ake, Antiochia Ptolemais, Ptolemais, and who knows what else.

WHY?!?!

Well...it's 5000 years old and it's been possessed by the Greeks, the Romans, the Turks (Ottoman Empire), the English, the Persians, the French, the Arabs, the Jews...I suppose it shouldn't be any big surprise. But even on modern maps and signs, the name varies.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Israel is big on cities with millions of scary-spelled names. There's one that is STILL called three things:

Acre
    Akko
    Akka

And historically it was Aak, Ake, Antiochia Ptolemais, Ptolemais, and who knows what else.

WHY?!?!

Well...it's 5000 years old and it's been possessed by the Greeks, the Romans, the Turks (Ottoman Empire), the English, the Persians, the French, the Arabs, the Jews...I suppose it shouldn't be any big surprise. But even on modern maps and signs, the name varies.
    All I have to do is link one short music video...

EDIT: Not the same city, but the same idea.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2008-10-26 at 10:39 AM.
    This avatar by Phase.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    All I have to do is link one short music video...
    Love that song, They Might Be Giants FTW!
    Last edited by Phase; 2008-10-26 at 10:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wouldn't the correct spelling of the name of a place be the spelling that the inhabitants of that place use?
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog22 View Post
    Wouldn't the correct spelling of the name of a place be the spelling that the inhabitants of that place use?
    Of course not! How can you expect those silly people to know where they live? Nonsense, I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Argument:
    中国
    This avatar by Phase.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog22
    This argument assumes that the inhabitants of a place have the greatest right to name it, which I do not believe to be necessarily the case: A name is merely a word used to evoke the idea of a spatial location or object, thus a person or place can have as many names as there are individual perspectives of that person or place.

In terms of communication this is something of a double edged sword; while you may personally have a particularly evocative word for a specific place, which best represents the intricacies of your idea of the place, that idea may very well contradict another individuals idea of the place and thus be useless in the sense of communicating that particular location to another individual.

I have always found the idea of having 'intimate' names, a name which invokes a specific set of ideas and feelings within a select group of people, to be rather Romantic.
    Last edited by RightHandless; 2008-10-26 at 11:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497

All right, I take your points. But this means that on a global scale, there's no correct spelling for anything. (I bet anyone who's failed a spelling test before can concur with that.)
    Last edited by Groundhog; 2008-10-26 at 12:00 PM.

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

All right, I take your points. But this means that on a global scale, there's no correct spelling for anything. (I bet anyone who's failed a spelling test before can concur with that.)
    Well, there's precious few things that are absolute globally anyway. Since spelling is a (formalized) best guess at representing spoken language, it's no wonder that people spell things differently where the languages are even slightly different. When people have entirely different words for the same thing, spelling is bound to get mucked up.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-10-26 at 12:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

中国 = zhong guo

If we were to use that, we would also use the correct word...right? But asking us to call China "Zhong Guo" would be like asking them to call Mei Guo "The USA". Though we did make the switch from Persia to Iran in the '50s or whatever, which was very kind of us.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

So, we agree the proper spelling for the Chinese homeland is Çin, right?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by ghost warlock View Post
    Well, there's precious few things that are absolute globally anyway.
    Come to think, is there anything that's absolute globally? The only thing I can think of is the 7-day week, and even that's doubtful. I know that communist Russia tried to institute a 5-day week once, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are place where a week doesn't have 7 days.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 2008-10-26 at 01:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #502

Come to think, is there anything that's absolute globally? The only thing I can think of is the 7-day week, and even that's doubtful. I know that communist Russia tried to institute a 5-day week once, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are place where a week doesn't have 7 days.
    There's actually a tribe of nomads in Australia (can't remember the name, but the tribe still exists) where they doesn't use the week system at all. So, no, it's not competely global.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I was thinking more like gravitation, everyone has DNA, fire is hot (in comparison to room temperature); that sort of thing.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-10-26 at 01:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan AE.
    Cookies please.

Pretty much no place is spelt the same in another language; but they're often recognisable. However, I suppose it depends on the alpphabet and language family.
    Londen - Afrikaans (see above)

Actually, now I think about it, choosing London may not have been the best choice as it does look fairly familiar. Hawaian might pose a bit of a problem though.
    Afrikaans is a West Germanic language, and if you want to get even more precise, it's one of the three currently living Low Franconian languages (The other two are Dutch and Limburgian)
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

25. - Top - End - #505

Afrikaans is a West Germanic language, and if you want to get even more precise, it's one of the three currently living Low Franconian languages (The other two are Dutch and Limburgian)
    Ah, wasn't exactly sure because those languages are a bit odd.

Why am I still in love with Queen? Actually that's a redunant question; or more accurately, a poorly phrased one.
    Let me start over:
    Why am I still listening to QUeen after roughly four straight hours of doing so? Wouldn't most people switch, even for only one song, to another bad before coming back?
    And my inner turmoil over Queen + Paul ROdgers still goes on.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Why am I still in love with Queen? Actually that's a redunant question; or more accurately, a poorly phrased one.
    Let me start over:
    Why am I still listening to QUeen after roughly four straight hours of doing so? Wouldn't most people switch, even for only one song, to another bad before coming back?
    Because good music needs to play over and over and over and over until you hear it even when it's not playing. :)

27. - Top - End - #507

Because good music needs to play over and over and over and over until you hear it even when it's not playing. :)
    Indeed.

*starts humming Tantric's Something Better*

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Titan AE.
    Cookies please.
    Here you go, two cookies. They have chocolate chips. You are also entitled to one free book from our extensive collection. Enjoy!

I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Exactly. Music is meant to do this.

30. - Top - End - #510

In college I live in two worlds. One is for the learning where you listen to the teacher. The other world is divided into two realms: the Realm of Imagination and the Realm of Music.
    The latter Realm is always working; I can hum and sing along to every Queen song I know, Sweet song and more bands time perfect, but not pitch perfect as I don't believe I can sing.
    That's why I need no iPod. My brain is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Here you go, two cookies. They have chocolate chips. You are also entitled to one free book from our extensive collection. Enjoy!

White chocolate?
    Please. I love white chocolate to pieces.

And as for the book . . . how about Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn. I've already dropped the hint to dad (by picking up the entire series the shop had - four out of five, quite nicely, but not the first one) on Saturday as a Christmas pressie.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!