New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Anyone else experience this kind of shift in literary tastes?
    I hesitate to say this on here, but I've more or less completely given up on fantasy and sci-fi; haven't read for years. Last thing I read that technically qualifies was Order of the Phoenix.

Of course, I barely read any fiction anymore...and I'm an English major! I'm too busy with all the theoretical texts I have to read for school and with poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    Now, I was wondering, is this some sort of natural charisma?
    Possibly. But, if you're like me and simply hate getting into arguments of any kind, you usually find ways of avoiding them. Being charismatic is one way.

When I got into an argument with my boss (just before walking out on the abusive bastard), it was the most unnerving thing because it was the first actual fight I'd been in for years. Usually I just try to avoid fights by just being nice/a pushover.

Also, Inagez! *hugs*
    Remember when I had an avatar?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cristo's Consistently Confusing and Constantly Casual Random Banter #105

Hmmm. I wish people couldn't get mad at me. Well, they really don't in person, but over the MSN... wait... over 'the' MSN? Why'd I type that?

Anyway, over MSN people love getting mad at me for some r-
    *Thought is interrupted.*

Wait, no, people got mad at me today. During math, I was doing stuff on vectors, and I just started talking about how much I want some tortilla chips. So I quick SMS'd my mom to pick some up while she was in town, and then I just kept talking about chips. At some point, people told me to shut up. Then I realised how odd I was just behaving.

...That's not much of a story. Hopefully it elicits some laughter, though.

EDIT: Also, I got a guitar part in Jazz Band.
    This'll be my first concert that I get to play guitar for.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2008-10-23 at 07:51 AM.
    This avatar by Phase.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah. GAH!

And to think I prided myself on being vaguely socially able. Turns out that I am invited to Oxford Formal Dinner. Only my brother. That was a pretty awful phonecall.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

So, I got a question guys.

I've rarely had people get angry at me when face to face, even my mother who can verbally tear apart people for the slightest mistakes rarely gets mad at me.

Recently, I've been getting a few clues as to why that is, it seems that I have some sort of effect on people that it is actually hard for them to get mad at me.

Now, I was wondering, is this some sort of natural charisma?

+Ina
    Hm. Although I can't remember anything else about it, I do remember that you made me very angry during our first conversation. Obviously, I've since forgiven you and grown quite fond. Maybe, like bosssmiley says, you're just impossible to stay mad at.

(Tad) Williams
    I read Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn during high school and none of my friends would touch them (too busy reading Robert Jordan). I felt like I was the only person in the world who liked good ol' Tad.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway, am I being delusional, or did Rei Jin post in gaming within the past few days?

+Ina
    Also, since no body answered this, yes.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Also, since no body answered this, yes.
    I would've, but I haven't really been hanging out in Gaming recently so I had no idea.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar View Post
    I hesitate to say this on here, but I've more or less completely given up on fantasy and sci-fi; haven't read for years. Last thing I read that technically qualifies was Order of the Phoenix.
    Interestingly, in the past year or so, I've almost experienced a similar thing...there are a few (mostly children's/young adult) sci-fi/fantasy authors I will pick up any day not matter what genre they're writing (Robin McKinley, Patricia Wrede though she's disappointed me in the past, Diana Wynne Jones, Timothy Zahn). When I was younger I read only sci-fi/fantasy, but as my critical thinking has developed, I've come to realize that a lot of it is incredibly derivitive and predictable and I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with the genre as a whole.

Eh. Robert Jordan did it. that's my excuse for all evils (no offense to WoT fans and I don't intend on getting in any kind of argument/conversation about it).

That said, I still like writing in it.

I still read mostly fiction, but I think my new favorite is historical fiction and some of the better young adult stuff, though most of it is so RIDICULOUSLY angsty.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar View Post
    Possibly. But, if you're like me and simply hate getting into arguments of any kind, you usually find ways of avoiding them. Being charismatic is one way.
    Yeah. *raises hand* Me in a nutshell. Unfortunately, it has led some people to believe that I was somehow lying to them in order to get them to like me even though I didn't like them.

Not the case. I just would rather keep the peace than have to avoid someone.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Jibar's Day

Hum de dum. Bangor accepted me la de da de da.
    Hey, free lesson woo.
    1 essay down, 1 to go. Woo.
    Presentation done. Woo.
    Hey, got an A for the presenation. Niiiice. Woo.
    Without our central figure, we managed to get stuff done in drama without anybody arguing. And my teacher said I was showing real strength of character for managing thus far. Woo.
    Walking home. I... huh, what is that odd sensation?
    Get home. Pull of sock. Toes covered in blood.
    Umm...
    And now I've washed my toes down, I have no idea where it all came from.

IT'S THE DARN'DEST THING.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

9. - Top - End - #249

You know Jibar.

Completely unrelated.

I've always wanted to do this, it's just never been appropriate, and I'm sure it's been said before. I may even have misquoted it. But I'll get a happy feeling for having done it so, without further adieu....
    Spoiler
    Show

QUIT YOUR JIBAR JABBING!

That is all
    Inner Circle The Cookie Raid

Spoiler
    Show
    Credits: Avatar; ChrisTP Signature: Sneak, Trog, Ceika and Gengy
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    Life is the set up and Death's the punchline line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    I give you the Master of sarcasm, (and puns).
    DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Aww, dammit! You know I can't smite you when you're wearing those things!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Oh, Captain Jack Sparrow, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Time Zones...

Its so funny reading about the days you Brits have when it is only 10:30 in the morning for me and I am stuck at work

And I hope you were able to get the bleeding stopped at least, Jibar.

Edit: Death... I had co-workers asking if I was okay I laughed so damn hard...
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2008-10-23 at 10:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

*fails save against pun damage*

*is glad Death's back*

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    You know Jibar.

Completely unrelated.

I've always wanted to do this, it's just never been appropriate, and I'm sure it's been said before. I may even have misquoted it. But I'll get a happy feeling for having done it so, without further adieu....
    Spoiler
    Show

QUIT YOUR JIBAR JABBING!

That is all
    I pity the foo'!

Awesome!
    This avatar by Phase.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Jibar's Day

Hum de dum. Bangor accepted me la de da de da.
    Hey, free lesson woo.
    1 essay down, 1 to go. Woo.
    Presentation done. Woo.
    Hey, got an A for the presenation. Niiiice. Woo.
    Without our central figure, we managed to get stuff done in drama without anybody arguing. And my teacher said I was showing real strength of character for managing thus far. Woo.
    Walking home. I... huh, what is that odd sensation?
    Get home. Pull of sock. Toes covered in blood.
    Umm...
    And now I've washed my toes down, I have no idea where it all came from.

IT'S THE DARN'DEST THING.
    I've actually had something similar happen to me. I think it was from a hangnail that ripped off or something.

Another time, while I was working construction, I ended up with massive blisters on my toes and ankles. Because I had to keep working, I ended up rubbing them pretty raw and they bled a lot. I hope that's not what's happening with you.

"When your feet are aching, your souls' in mortal danger."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Death is back!
    Lets rock the roof away!
    Awesome big D.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Death is back!
    Lets rock the roof away!
    Awesome big D.

"You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the Reaper."

I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the Reaper."

Best MovieEver!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh. Robert Jordan did it. that's my excuse for all evils
    What is this nonsense?! Everyone knows that bread crusts are directly responsible for all forms of evil!
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

18. - Top - End - #258

When I was younger I read only sci-fi/fantasy, but as my critical thinking has developed, I've come to realize that a lot of it is incredibly derivitive and predictable and I'm feeling pretty disillusioned with the genre as a whole.
    Yeah...the thing is, then you get caught up in an "elitist" vs. "accessible" fiction debate. I've been given a thrashing from both sides—"you read pretentious crap" from one side and "your generation [it's always from someone older..."get off my literary lawn"] reads/listens to/watches [all three] mindless crap" from the other.

Meh, as long as we've had books, we've had people that insist that they're better than anyone who doesn't read the same things they read.

Except for people who like Dan Brown. We really are better than them.

~

Random topic: today, I decided to make scones for lunch. Now, you can get scones in shops in Canada, but Tim Horton's calls them "tea biscuits," and they're horrible, crumbly, doughy things. I just like making my own baked stuff...think I did okay. They were good, especially with honey.

19. - Top - End - #259

If there's one thing humans have proved time and time again, it's that they possess a constant need to prove just how much better they are than the other guy.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

I only read excessive amounts of Dan Brown once, this was when I made a bet that I could read three of his 'novels' in 24 hours.

Was done in 12 ^^

+Ina
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    If there's one thing humans have proved time and time again, it's that they possess a constant need to prove just how much better they are than the other guy.
    Thats just something that inferior people like you say

22. - Top - End - #262

Two things happened today. Three actually, but one's not really interesting/important enough to go up.

So; interesting thing number one: I've become the teacher of Ancient Greek for our club. This means I get to teach myself; always be one lesson ahead of everyone else and fill in if the actual teacher never shows.
    And I'm looking forward to it.
    I've already got two good websites; one possible one and more coming. Kaela's suggested two good text books (cheap too) and is being an absolute angel and letting me borrow his notes/stuff a la whatever way he can.
    Honestly: Kaela is a little angel/god and he deserves his own little statue to himself.
    So, when I get up to London he's getting a big box of choccies; a smaller one; an ENORMOUS hug and a pressie/card.

This brings me onto my second point.
    I have my itinerary for London.
    It is epic.
    Salieri's; Fortune Theatre; the Globe; Camden Lock Market; London Poetry Museum; ghost walk.
    Did I mention the ghost walk?
    Because we're going on a ghost walk.
    And seeing Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre. And eating at Salieri's which sounds incredibly Italian.

And I'm going to London.

P.S.: *Kaela hugs*

EDIT:
    And somehow I missed a discussion on books. Rare.
    By the way, as someone who lives in the Scone capital of the world I say with absolute authority that the perfect cream tea needs Cornish clotted cream, strawberry jam and warm scones.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2008-10-23 at 01:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Default Optimistic Thought of the Day

Just remember, the glass is one-third full.
    Last edited by Griever; 2008-10-23 at 01:20 PM.
    "Eins, zwei, drei... Ugh, I do not think we brought enough body bags."
    -TF2 Medic
    1850's TF2 Medic graciously provided by kpenguin

Call Filthy Grief, Pacemaker

Feel like some Dark Coffee?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

And somehow I missed a discussion on books. Rare.
    By the way, as someone who lives in the Scone capital of the world I say with absolute authority that the perfect cream tea needs Cornish clotted cream, strawberry jam and warm scones.
    Lolz. HaVe U ReAd DAn BRoWnz? Heez so GoOD!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Default Re: Optimistic Thought of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Griever View Post
    Just remember, the glass is one-third full.
    Nay, it's poisoned.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

We talking about days?
    Today, I scared people by reading Lolita, and made more than a few teacher look at me oddly.

Worst/best part?
    How many people don't have a clue as to what's it about, which means I made soooooooooo many people regret asking me about what I was reading.

Soon I'll have them all trained to salivate at the ring of my cell phone, and then my conquest of britanica can begin!
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    You know Jibar.

Completely unrelated.

Spoiler
    Show

QUIT YOUR JIBAR JABBING!

That is all
    That... that was awesome.

*plans to show this to all hi friends*

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    We talking about days?
    Today, I scared people by reading Lolita, and made more than a few teacher look at me oddly.
    More disturbing is that people don't look at me weirdly when I read Lolita. Because they've 'come to expect it'.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

28. - Top - End - #268

But Lolita is such a fantastic book...Nabokov wins the "awesome Russian writer" award for me. Just look at them funny, as if to say "why aren't you reading this?"

But I don't like strawberry jam (possibly raspberry), and I promise you that there is no where in this country that you can find clotted cream.

If I ever get to England, I will find a good tea room at least once. I want to have the proper English tea experience.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

*basks in the attention*

No worries, Koorly.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

My day...

tl;dr version: my day was mostly boring and routine.

Detailed version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it started when I crawled out of bed at about 10:30pm CST to get ready for work.

Work was pretty quiet for the most part. My dinner (Campbell's Chunky sirloin steak soup) was interrupted when one of the girls got out of bed at about 2:30am and thought, for some reason, that I would let her talk to one of the boys down the hall. This, of course, was despite the fact that they're not even supposed to interact during the day. About a half-hour later I finally managed to talk her into going back to bed.

For those wondering, I work in a co-ed unit at a mental institute for teens. You may be wondering why the unit is co-ed. Good question, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. It's evidently required for licensing a "crisis stabilization" room we use about once a month, if that often.

After work I came home and had some Quaker Oat Squares for "breakfast." Meanwhile, I checked the webcomics I read for updates, and then dinked around on here a bit while watching old episodes of MacGyver on DVD with the gf. She owns all 7 seasons and we're watching them more-or-less straight through. I think we're on season four. *shrug*

Had lunch at Wendy's. It was okay. Really, the Frosty was the highlight of the meal as the fries were still half-raw and the burger was way greasier than normal. I think the quality of the "food" at that branch has really gone down in the last few months.

So now I'm here again for a bit before I head to bed and start the whole routine over again.

Tonight, I plan on working some on my Seventeen Shards story.