New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [4E] Dragonlance - Dragons of Autumn

Johanai

All right. I could use a rest and some food myself.

He looks pointedly at the guards.

Let's find somewhere where we can talk freely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Johanai will spend a healing surge to bring HP to 28

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

The kender's eyes light up upon seeing his old companions. His ears light up even more at the notion that there are more stories to be told.

"Really? Attacked on the road you say? Yes, yes, let's get to the Inn of Last Home as soon as possible and talk about it over some warm cider and ale." With that, Wikkaquik makes his way to the famous tavern.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"A warm meal would be welcome. It has been a long journey, in cold weather, and I am not as young as I used to be'" Kelwyn said, smiling at Wikkaquik's boundless energy. "Lead on my friend."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

"No longer young but hardly old, my Solamnic friend. Kelwyn the Tested you will be known as in my novel once it is written. Tried and true, as dependable as dwarven steel. Kelwyn the Tested who reached the shadowy streets of Solace in the company of Jorim the... Jorim the... " The kender develops a thoughtful look as he tries to find the perfect descriptor for the young knight.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

Dlanor smiles at the kenders comments. "Well, Dlanor the Hungry is ready to fill his belly as well." He rises and follows his friends to the tavern.
    My other characters/games:

D&D 4E: Sarsath, Dragonborn Sorceror -- Dungeon Crawl REDUX

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

Smiling at the kender's antics, Barok walks over to the knight and falls in step with him as the group of mismatched heroes walks towards the Inn. "So, Kelwyn, what exactly do you think is going on here? Goblins, of all things, seem to be in control in Solace, and they are all looking for something called the "divine armament." Do you have any idea of its significance? Or do you know how the goblins took control here?" Barok inquires of the older knight. Kelwyn had always been the group's source of wisdom and directions. His age and experience made him an invaluable companion to have.

Spoiler
    Show
    Glad to see that the pace has picked up again. Just out of curiosity, how much prior knowledge about Dragonlance can we allow our characters to have?
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-11-06 at 07:08 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

The knight looks grave as he responds. "I suspect that something evil is afoot, Barok. Solace is not a town that would have willingly allowed goblins to attain a position of power. I fear that the Seekers are more then they appear..." Kelwyn sighs, tired not just from the long journey but from the feeling that there is something important that he is missing, some fact that would shed light on this situation, make it all make sense. "As for this armament, I don't know what it is, but if the Seekers want it so desperately, my gut tells me that it must be kept from them. Anyone who would willingly ally with hobgoblins is undoubtedly up to no good."
    Last edited by Britter; 2008-11-06 at 09:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

As you walk through Solace, the Inn of the Last Home peeks through the boughs of the largest vallenwood in the town, a single staircase running up around the side of trunk. As you get closer, you notice you're not the only ones on the way to the Inn, as many locals appear to be heading their for a late meal or a nightcap of Otik's famous ale.

As you enter, you're taken up in the flurry of activity, though there seems to be an air of uneasiness about the patrons, many of whom sit quietly and do little more than stare into their beers.

Tika Waylan, the young redheaded barmaid adopted by Otik some years ago, bustles by to fill up mugs and indicates a largish table in a back corner, near the fireplace. As you walk by, several strangers look up at you (many clutching at their purses as the spot the kender), including a young boy, several older men and women, and one VERY old man in a chair near the fire who ceases gazing into the fire and talking to himself to stare at you.

You sit for several minutes in conversation before Tika returns with several mugs of ale and pans of spiced potatoes. "Well, what brings you guys back here to Solace? It's been a while since we've seen most of you! Unfortunately, it seems you've arrived at not such a good time," she finishes, glancing at several Seekers seated across the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as OOC knowledge, you know a bit, and you and Wikka specifically probably know more than others. Anything that's common knowledge is fine (where most places are, the basics of most organizations, basics of history within the last 500 or so years (basically, since the Cataclysm), and you can make Knowledge cheks as appropriate for more far=flung lore.

Also, I'm out of town today to get grad school letters of recommendation, but I may get a chance to post sporadically today between meetings with professors. If not, I should be home by later this evening and I'll get back to this then.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

Undeterred by the dark glances, Wikkaquik glides through the crowd, greeting any faces he recognizes. When Tika reaches their table, the kender helps her distribute the mugs and plates, sneaking a few bites of potatoes in between.

"Tika, how are you doing? I see Otik still hasn't gotten you any help for the front yet. You have time to sit around and share some drinks? We're about to retell some wonderous stories filled with danger and intrigue."

With that, the kender reached into his pouches and pulled out a notebook and pen. He also pulls out a brooch, gives it a inquisitive look and asks no one in particular "How'd that get there?" before putting it back into his pouch and turning back to his companions.

Spoiler
    Show

Random Thievery roll while passing through the Inn (1d20+13)[27]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

Seeing Wikka pull a brooch that he knew didn't belong to the kender, Barok sternly reprimanded the kender. "Wikka, how many times do I have to tell you not to take... nevermind. Just give those things to Otik so the customers can get them back."

Glancing around the room, Barok sees for the first time the depth of how worried the people are. There was no cheer that everyone used to have in Solace, as if the Seekers had sucked it out of the town. The sight of the Seekers actually angered Barok, now that he knew that some true gods existed out there.

"Alright, everyone lean in, I don't want anyone to over hear me by accident. I think I know what the divine armament is. In fact I think I'm wearing it right now." Barok confides to his friends gathered around him. "I know for a fact that there are real gods, besides the false ones that the Seekers have been teaching of. Now why they want to suppress the knowledge of the true gods, I'm not sure... but I think it may have to do with the rumors of war in the north. Kelwyn, do you or Jorim know of anything about what is happening in the north?" Barok asks after revealing his shocking revelation, hoping to the true gods that no one overheard him.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth Roll for whether he manages to keep the conversation quiet. Talk about having the wrong guy make the check

(1d20+1)[3]

O dear god... just as a heads up to anyone who isn't familiar with Dragonlance or even common sense, all hell is about to break loose. Watch out for someone to get their hand stuck in the fire.
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-11-06 at 07:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

As Barok finishes speaking, the old man by the fire turns his head swiftly towards your group, his expression wild. "The divine armament! Ah, the sign of the true gods! I have foreseen this day, when now you, the bearers, will have meet a great and terrible destiny. The armament must return to Xak Tsaroth, so you may face your greatest peril to return to men the greatest of gifts!"

At this point, all eyes are focuses on the old man and you, an awkward silence falling over the Inn. Suddenly, from the far side of the bar, the door slams as someone, unknown, flies out of the building. The loud bang brings the patrons back to their senses, but now eyes are on you.

As you stare at each other, deciding on a course of action, a young boy walks slowly to stand between you and the old man. "Ex... excuse me," he says sheepishly, "ARE you going to look for the old gods? The storyteller," he indicates the old man, now staring back at the fire, "tells us about them all the time, Paladine and Habbukuk and the rest, but my gramma says he's dumb and doesn't know what he's talking about, and that he should be locked up for putting ideas like that into 'impressionable minds,' whatever that means. She just says that we should listen to that Seeker guy El..., uh, well, I don't know his name, but the one in Haven, since even if the Seekers are making everything bad here HE at least seems like he wants to do good. I just... I think it'd be cool if there were gods around, and then it could be more like the old stories about heroes and, ooh, dragons! I love dragons, oh, and all those other cool monsters and things from olden times. You know, I saw this white stag out there near the mountains last month, and they're supposed to be blessed by the gods, but my gramma says that's just a little kids story, even though I think it could be really important and..."

He continues to ramble on and on, as young children do. Others are starting to sidle out of the bar, and as you look around you see that the Seekers are nowhere to be found.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

The kender looks from the clearing room to the young human. Then back to the room. Then back to the human.

"We really need to work on your whisper voice Barok."

13. - Top - End - #73

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

Settling at the table, Kelwyn took a moment to enjoy this little slice of domestic bliss. It reminded, somehow, of home...companionship, delicious smells and the roar of the fire. The past year had been filled with wandering, and moments like these were precious. He knew that soon, there might be trouble, but he also knew that one had to know what they were fighting for. It was these small moments that kept him on the trail, fighting time and age and his own fears and shortcomings to protect places and times like this.

Before his thoughts took over and sent him wandering back to his own home and hearth, the old knight smiled sadly and leaned in to the table, carefully cutting his meal and eating with his characteristic neatness.

Barok's news hit him like a pole-ax between the eyes. He paused, fork half-way to his mouth, before slowly lowering the utensil to his plate, appetite forgotten. "The true Gods live!, he whispered fiercely. "Paladine himself reveals my destiny..."

"As for the north, Kelwyn continued in a more controlled tone, "I know of some fighting there. Not more then 18 years ago the forces of evil were strong enough to attack even my homeland. Though I have not been North in some time, I have heard rumors of war and death."

The old man's sudden outburst, and the subsequent disappearance of the Seekers, brought Kelwyn's thoughts around to more immediate and smaller goals then destiny and the will of the Gods. Kelwyn loosened his sword in it's scabbard, as he looked around the inn. "Friends, I know one of the Seeker's dogs managed to escape my blade earlier today, and I fear we may soon need to fight clear of this place. Be ready." Even as he said this, the old man's words burned in his mind, as if they had been written in fire before him. The armament would make it to Xak Tsaroth, he vowed silently, even if it cost him his life.
    Last edited by Britter; 2008-11-06 at 09:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

During the exchange, Dlanor leans in closer to examine the chainmail Barok wears for any telling markings. Upon realizing that the Seekers have left, he quickly scans the room for any signs of trouble. Finally, he turns to the old man and asks gently but urgently, "Sir where is this Xak Tsaroth you spoke of?"

Spoiler
    Show

Going to roll a history check on the mail and a perception check for the room.

History - (1d20+1)[19]
    Percepton - (1d20+7)[23]

Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-11-07 at 06:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Heh.... guess you're right, Wikka. I definitely need to work on that... but too late now..." Barok says to the kender. As he turns back around to talk to the rest of the group, he realizes how silent the room had become. He had known that it would be shocking, but he wishs that it hadn't been so abrupt.

"Ah... I am saddened to hear that the rumors do have truth to them, Kelwyn. War is never a good thing, regardless of what it is for." Barok says to the older knight.

"Dlanor, I don't think you will find anything on the mail relating to Xak Tsaroth. I believe there is only the symbol on the unknown god on it, nothing else, though I hope you can prove me wrong." Barok says to the elf as he examines Barok's mail. Suddenly the weight of what the old man said, hits Barok, and he collapses into a chair. As his mind reels, he casts back through his memory to see if he knows anything that may help them on what may be their very last journey...

Spoiler
    Show

Well... this certainly was interesting... I'll go ahead and roll for a history check, as well.

History: (1d20+6)[16]

Last edited by Poru93; 2008-11-07 at 07:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai raises from his chair and strides over to the old man. He opens his mouth to speak, then hesitates and turns back to Wikkaquick.

Wikka, see if you can get any more details out of him. I think you'll have more success than I would. Barok, let me see that stuff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Johanai has spent a healing surge to bring HP to 27. He will examine the mace and chainmail, and the medallion if Barok lets him see it.
    Religion check for examining the items: (1d20+11)[26]
    Arcana check for examining the items: (1d20+11)[29]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Dlanor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sizing up the attitude of the bar, you notice that even the people that have remained look uneasy, their eyes flickering back and forth between your group and the door, as if waiting for someone or something. Even Tika a Otik seem to have moved into or near the kitchen and look fearful.

Dlanor and Barok:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the two of you think back to what you've heard (since the storyteller has fallen silent again), you remember a bit about the (former) city of Xak Tsaroth.

Xak Tsaroth once stood on the high Eastwall Mountains as a testament to the might of the old gods, a major inland trade center in Abanasinia and a mecca of not only trade but also peace and worship. Despite its inland location, the streets of Xak Tsaroth were crowded with exotic foreigners of all races from far-off parts of Ansalon - humans, dwarves, elves, kender, and even minotaur came to the city.

However, just like Istar far away, the originally-righteous and generous people of Xak Tsaroth eventually fell to gluttony, corruption, and the like, and when the gods smote Krynn during the Cataclysm, the city met its fate. When that fiery mountain struck Ansalon, the Eastwall Mountains themselves seemed to give up the city, with most of it falling into a great into a great cavern a thousand feet deep. Simultaneously, the ground itself split, and what is now known as the New Sea swept in, turning much of the area into a vast, cursed swamp.

Despite this, the entire city wasn't lost, and several ruins are still survive, drawing the attention of many looters and treasure-seekers (it is said that many treasures of the old world, artifacts of the mightiest clerics, mages, warriors, and kings are still to be found in the sunken city) though few, if any, have ever returned from ventures there.

Johanai:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it definitely seems to you that these items are pre-Cataclysm and are all marked with the sigil of Habbakuk, an old god of persistance and the lord of the cycle of life and death, rangers, hunters, beasts, and so on.

The items seem to be wrought of exceptionally well-made steel, honed to perfection and blessed by magics unknown to you. The items radiate an aura not necessarily of war, despite being tools of war, but of the relief of suffering.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai looks up from the artifacts.

I can tell you three things about these. They're very old, they've got the mark of a old god on them, and they're magic. As for Xak Tsaroth, I'm going to need more convincing.
    Last edited by gareth; 2008-11-07 at 07:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Well, I guess I did need confirmation for that, Johanai I mean it's not like they have a symbol none of us recognized, that I didn't find them in ruins covered in vines, and I certainly didn't turn the undead into dust with their power." Barok remarks sarcastically to the wizard in a burst of frustration. Coming to his senses, Barok apologizes to Johanai.

"Gah, I'm sorry, Johanai, I shouldn't have said that. It's just... I didn't ask for this... I just wanted to find a priest of something who knew of the old gods, not find them myself. As for Xak Tsaroth, I think I know what it is... but I've heard that the elves have more lore of the days before the Cataclysm. Barok says to Johanai, while turning to look over at Dlanor.
    Last edited by Poru93; 2008-11-07 at 08:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

as Kelwyn sat contemplating the ramifications of this discovery, shock gave way to awe, awe to determination, determination to responsibility. Looking around, Kelwyn seemed to realize that the inn was still occupied by others.

"We should try to wrap this up quickly if it is possible. I want to get clear of the inn before any trouble finds us...I don't want to get into a fight with the Seeker's here at the Inn, as some innocent folk could be hurt in the fighting. I can't justify risking anyone's safety due to our hesitating to take this opportunity to leave now before bloodshed becomes necessary."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

The kender hops off his seat and quickly walks to the storyteller by the fire. He gives the old man a stylish bow before launching into introductions.

"Good evening fine sir, I am Wikkaquik Talespinner. I recognized you at once as a fellow minstrel, although your talents currently appear to be more focused on clearing a room than entertaining it. That is understandable though, I've had more than my share of poor narrative choices myself, but I would think you owe us an explanation for your outburst. And quickly please. As my chivalrous friend has pointed out, we will likely have a lot of attention coming our way soon and would rather not put our good friend's tavern in danger."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dlanor

To Barok, Dlanor says, "I'm only half-elf, remember. Aside from a general location, this forgotton city is lost to me. The old man appears to be our best chance." Noticing the uneasiness of the crowd, Dlanor slips his bow off his shoulder -- trying to appear as if he is unloading his burden, but in reality preparing for a posssible confrontation. The whole time, he keeps one eye on the entrance to the inn.
    Last edited by Ron2112; 2008-11-08 at 08:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai looks annoyed and seems to be thinking up a sarcastic response, then Barok's words seem to sink in and he looks amazed.

Wait a minute, you can turn the undead to dust?

Johanai stands up and paces around the room, thinking furiously.

No magic item can do that now, that was a power of the old clerics. They could also heal wounds, cure diseases, even bring the dead back to life if the wildest stories are to be believed. All impossible for even the most powerful wizards.

He stares in wonder at the medallion, then carefully hands it back to Barok.

You're quite possibly the first real cleric in centuries. Why don't we see what else you can do?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Barok

"Ah, my apologies, Dlanor. I had thought that because you grew up among elves that you might have more knowledge on the subject than the rest of us." Barok says to Dlanor.

Hearing Johanai's comments, Barok turns to answer him. "Now hold on. I'm not a cleric yet. I didn't turn the undead into dust. That was the medallion, not me. I don't know how to use this stuff, and even if I was a cleric, I'd rather not see what this stuff can do right now... they may have been able to raise the dead, but I think they had to know what they were doing, first. I, on the other hand, have no idea what is required. So for now, let's put the examination of these things out of our minds and focus on getting out of here." Barok offers to the red-clad wizard.

"Well, I agree with Kelwyn, and I second his idea of getting out of here before any one is hurt." Barok says to his friends. "However, how are we going to get out of here? I'm sure that the Seekers and their minions will be coming any moment, and the stairs are going to be blocked soon..." Barok trails off in mid-sentence trying to think of what to do.

Barok moves over to where Tika and Otik are standing. "Tika, is there any way out of here that doesn't require going down the main stairs?" he asks the red-headed barmaid.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Johanai

Johanai nods reluctantly.

You're right, we should focus on getting out of here.

He turns to the old man.

Sir, it may be very dangerous in here. If you come with us we'll protect you.

26. - Top - End - #86

As soon as Jorim realizes the Seekers have left he begins analyzing the tactical layout of their situation, judging the distance to the nearest Seeker outpost and the time it would take to rouse a group of soldiers sufficient to take a party of their size into custody. My Lord. Jorim quietly addresses Kelwyn. I fear we should be making our exit with haste, if we do not wish to face the Seekers in the Inn.

Spoiler
    Show
    History Check to analyze the tactics of the situation ((history is the closest skill I could find that would apply here)): (1d20+7)[26]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

27. - Top - End - #87

BlackDragon

Kelwyn

"You're right lad, we do need to move. Give Wikka a moment or two longer to see if we can get any more information from this old man. I will watch the door and call and alarm if anything comes up to the Inn."

With his hand on the hilt of his blade, Kelwyn moves towards the inns door, ready to give a warning if any foes approach, and to buy his friends time to escape if needed.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

As the kender approaches the man, he shakes his head momentarily before listening to him ask his questions. "My outburst... yes, that. I barely remember what it was I was even talking about..." his eyes glaze over momentarily, before he snaps back into focus. "Well, the patronage here certainly has slacked off. Of course, my friend, it could be that the presence of a kender such as yourself could have something to do with it," he winks at Wikka.

"I certainly would like to talk more to some far-ranging adventurers like yourselves, but as you say, haste would be expedient for you. Don't worry about me," he says to the red-robed mage, "Those Seeker dogs and their mercenaries wouldn't bother me, not with that Seeker high fella down in Haven - he's a good one."

As Tika moves over to listen to Barok's question, Jorim and Kelwyn note the sound of booted feet moving up the stairs around the vallenwood. They don't seem to be near the top, but they're rapidly approaching. Looking around nervously, Tika stammers, "Another way out. I can't really think- WAIT! The garbage shoot, back in the kitchen! If you think you can get out there, I could probably hold off those guards and cover your trail."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the delay again. I've got the GRE in the morning... I swear, I'll probably do a happy-dance once all this grad school stuff is settled.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wikkaquik

The kender eyes the old geezer suspiciously before extending his hand, giving him a quick shake and turning back to his companions.

"Classic case of divine inspiration. The uncontrollable outburst, the fast memory loss. Often strikes the more senile members of the community in times of theological significance. I doubt this gentleman will have more for us, we should probably make daring escape instead. Did someone mention a garbage shoot? Sounds fun."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Alright, Wikka, if sliding down a garbage shoot sounds like so much fun, you can go first. Once you get down there check to see if there is any danger." Barok says to Wikka as he pulls the kender away from the old man.

As he hauls the kender towards the kitchen, Barok turns to Tika. "Thank you very much, but if the guards try to forcefully come after us, don't stop them with violence. If it gets to that, let us worry about it. Okay?" Barok worriedly tells the barmaid.

Turning to Kelwyn, Barok seeks confirmation of his plan."I mean, does that sound like a good plan to you, Kelwyn?" Barok asks the older and more experienced of the two knights with them. "I figure the best thing we can do now is retreat. There is no point in any one losing their life, it would only make things tougher for us down the road."