New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Children of Zarus IC

Like everything else, Carcer had a decidedly odd relation with boats. He got terribly seasick in his cabin, below decks, or safely near the center. Sitting at the bow and swaying with the motion of the water, resting peacefully in the tops or even cutting through the air in the crow's nest... he was quite fine. This tended to baffle professional sailors, but most were will to give up lookout duty on long voyages (at least until they realized he spent most of his time reading and not actually looking out) or to let him be in the more out-of-the-way sections of the vessel.

This evening found Carcer in his standard traveling outfit. Trousers and a scribe's vest over linen shirt with an oft used dust cloak of almost black green. He was wrapped around the railing of the forecastle, watching the river slide by and idly taking notes. The failing light was making it difficult to write, and he would continually shoot glares at the setting sun (if the great star could be faulted for setting, he would do it).

As such, when the creature reared its heads over the ship from port and starboard, Carcer had to scramble in quite an undignified manner to disentangle himself and get a good look. He does not gape or gawk, instead pulling a fresh tome from the pockets of his well-worn cloak. Stylus in hand, his plain garb could easily see him mistaken as scholar or wandering scribe.

"Always was good for a spot of mental exercise. Might I inquire as to your fascinating nature before we begin? Would truly be a shame to let the day pass without a bit of discourse while you grace us with your presence."

He speaks politely in Draconic, as one would to a superior in court rather than the decks of a ship. The harsh language is rapid and fluid on his tongue, conjuring the impression of scalding water sliding smoothly down a natural drain.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.
    "But I am a moron with a dream! And that my friends, is the most dangerous kind of moron."

"Well, I think we all know which ship Jans was on."

Theme Music Carcer Zoviir Matthew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin enjoyed the boatride as much as he really could. It wasn't all that great, but as it had been prepared specifically for them, Tarrin did draw some enjoyment from that. The Children of Zarus did gain benefit from the oddest of things. Tarrin has spent most of the time on the deck of the ship, mapping out the general landscape as they move.

When the creature rears up, Tarrin frowns at it, before looking at the water. "I didn't realize the river was deep enough to support one as large as this..." he mutters to himself. Capping off his pen and carefully placing away his papers to keep them from getting wet, Tarrin looks up, allowing Carcer to speak.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Gordon

Gordon gathered his things and made what arrangements that he needed to in preparation for the trip. When the time came he was waiting at the docks when the ship was made available for them to board.

Most of the journey he much like the others kept to himself. Mainly just sitting there watching the land slip by. Gordon learned a long time ago to enjoy the down time. No matter what the terrain was later he would be about his thing. Detailed information would be handy, but what he needed would be the faces of the leadership of his opponents, the layout would only be a bonus. If neither was supplied then he could still go about his task. Leaders tended to make themselves known.

Though if this didn’t turn into an assassination then he would be support to one of the others. This was where he did not excel. But he would not let the others down. He would not let a quarrel fly untrue.

He spent most of the time unmoving, out of the way of the sailors, but still, saving his energy for when he would need it. He took his meals and his drink from his own stores as always, he darned a sock, he watched the professionalism of the sailors.

Though when the serpents reared their heads, Gordon was taken by surprise. He was not ready for that of all things. But there was danger everywhere wasn’t there. Gordon did pull out his crossbow but did not load it. He did not bring his weapon to bare either, as he knew that it would only cause a fuss. But he would not be caught unaware if the answer given was a wrong one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cael The Fall, The Found, The Departed New Guard
    Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Distracted, momentarily, from the draconic creature, Carcer glances at Tarrin with an arched eyebrow and a half smile. The same arched eyebrow and half smile the man had been getting from the other for years now. He poses his question again in Draconic, mostly out of (supposed) respect for the creature confronting them.

"What makes you think it is?"

As if that explained it all.

And perhaps, it did.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.
    "But I am a moron with a dream! And that my friends, is the most dangerous kind of moron."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Hearing Carcer, Tarrin looks up at the man. "The creature is a likely source of information, Carcer..." Tarrin reminds the mage.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edward laid on the floor beneath the deck, next to his black bear.

"We stopped, you know."

The bear made no acknowledgment that Edward was talking to it.

"So, you don't know anything about that?"

The bear rolled over.

"Alright then. I'll go look if you're just going to sleep."

Av by kpenguin ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by trollhammeren View Post
    I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

<Draconic>"The waters hold many secrets beyond the surface dweller's knowledge. Knowledge, perhaps the most intriguing factor of all life, don't you think? What is it that drives mortals to seek it out, and what is it that makes you so sure it is the truth?" The two headed being continued. Between each pause the heads alternated between speaking and listening.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edward walked up just in time to hear the beasts question. Unfortunately, he couldn't understand a word it was saying.

"If you're here to aid us, then do so. Otherwise, we have no time for your nonsense."

Av by kpenguin ^_^

I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Sophia's dragon decides that it is going to be unruly. It leaps forward and attacks the great beast but it's teeth are unable to piece the creature's hide. In response the great serpent rears up and attempts to capsize the vessel by ripping each side. Already the boat begins to creak and groan as the beast's powerful body begins crushing the sides as it tries to flip it. Water splashes up onto the deck as it rocks to and fro. Everyone please roll a balance check and initiative.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-11-24 at 02:00 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin
    Spoiler
    Show

Balance: (1d20+3)[20]

Casting Nerveskitter as an immediate action to add +5 to my init check.

Init: [roll]1d20+8p[/roll]

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    #$@!

Init: (1d20+8)[18]

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Balance (1d20+2)[18]
    Init: (1d20+2)[19]

Av by kpenguin ^_^

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled in front of the DM, 16 for Balance, 22 Init.
    Last edited by Jansviper; 2008-11-25 at 03:53 PM.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.

14. - Top - End - #44

To Dancer, his orders had at first seemed strange. Leave the Left Hand, where he had been for the last decade. Leave it, possibly forever. And not only leave it, but leave to join and elite squadron within the military of the empire. He had nothing against the military certainly, but the Left Hand went far out of it's way to keep information on it down to little more than a few rumours. No exceptions, not even for the military.

Granted, he wasn't supposed to just announce where he came from, but if the people he were joining weren't stupid, which he truly hoped against--else the Children would have an absolutely deplorable military--then he was sure they would be able to guess his origin nonetheless.

But Dancer was faithful. Faithful to his superiors, and faithful to Zarus, whom his orders came from. So despite his slight trepidation at the orders, Dancer was never a man to disobey.

So he now found himself trailing the ship along the bank, keeping hidden as was his constant habit. It was a good thing the wind was low today, else he would have a massively hard time keeping up. He would have simply brought a horse, but his orders were to stay hidden until he thought it best to reveal himself. A horse would simply draw too much attention. And so here he was, loping along, keeping to the shadow as best he could.

Honestly it was a little boring. At least it was. Until a dragon reared out the water.

The water's that deep? Who knew. He mused to himself.

His eyebrow raised slightly as the thing began to constrict the boat. He paused, trying to decide if this was the time he should reveal himself. It was tempting no doubt. He hadn't done something this exciting in years. The man falling off made his mind up for him. It looked like they would be needing help after all.

Concentrating, he began pulling the shadows from all around him closer to himself until they practically became a part of him, and started slowly sinking into the ground.

---

At the ship, the deck rocking violently in the huge creatures grasp, a sudden dark spot appears in the air above the deck. It seems to draw the shadow from the air to itself, until it has become one swirling dark mass, rotating slowly in midair.

A black form drops out of the portal to the deck, and as the shadows begin to melt away, being pulled in by the shrinking maelstrom of darkness above it, it becomes clear that the form is a man clothed all in black, with tow short swords at the ready.

"Apologies for the late arrival." He says in a deep voice.

And with no further explanation, he seems to draw the shadows back to himself, fading to invisibility once again, he sets upon the monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+4)[11]

Full Attack, in Assassin's Stance. Use Cloak of Deception to gain effect of Greater Invisibility until the end of my turn, allowing Sneak Attack.

Attack 1 - (1d20+11)[28]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+11)[23]
    Attack 3 - (1d20+6)[16]

Damage - (6d6+7)[27]
    Damage - (6d6+7)[28]
    Damage - (6d6+7)[25]

Maneuvers Currently Readied (Text means its been used):
    Claw at the Moon (Tiger/2/86)
    Burning Blade (Desert/1/52)
    Wind Stride (Desert/1/56)
    Shadow Garrote (Shadow/3/78)[S]
    Cloak of Deception (Shadow/2/76)

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a man of his (obvious) scholarly nature, one would not expect Carcer to be all too quick on his feet.

One would also be dead before you realized looks weren't everything, usually.

In this case, Carcer darts across the deck (he had dropped his book, and that was a shame. he'd have to remember to clean it off later) and reaches up to one of the serpentine creature's necks. He caress is would almost seem gentle, if it weren't for the rime of black frost that bit into the creature's scales at the passing of those long finger tips.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration (if needed): (1d20+12)[20]

Casts Shivering Touch
    To Hit; Touch: (1d20+6)[8]

If hit, then
    Dex Damage: (3d6)[10]

A GODS DAMNED TWO!?!?
    Last edited by Jansviper; 2008-11-29 at 04:39 AM.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin frowns at the beast, before calming speaking loudly for everyone to hear. "Take care with this. It has a third head, most likely under the ship, that acts as a cockatrice."

This said, Tarrin summons his own mental energy, slamming it into the mind of the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Psi like ability Mind Thrust, auto-augmented as far as it can go. Which means (7d10)[46] damage, Will save DC 17 to negate.

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'll see what I can do."

With that, Edward's body slowly started shifting, his hands and feet becoming webbed, and with gills appearing on his neck. Alterations in place, he jumped off the side and swam under the boat.

Av by kpenguin ^_^

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Gordon was surprised by the actions of rushing the creature, but then he figured that he really shouldn't be. Gordon did what he does best and began to follow his fellow Elites into battle and used the distraction of their attack to aid his own.

Spoiler
    Show

Init (1d20+4)[21]
    Balance = 1d20+16[/roll] Edit: 19

Attack = (1d20+12)[21]
    Damage = (1d8)[8]+5+ (1d6)[1]
    (If crittable) + (4d6)[17]
    Last edited by Unkabear; 2008-11-30 at 02:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Balance [roll0] because I miffed the tags in the prev post
    Spoiler
    Show

Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh come ON! just because I try to post within 60 seconds! Alright here it is again

Balance = (1d20+16)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show

Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

The creature continues its assault on the boat. The beast's teeth tear into the boat and rock it violently as it lilts heavily to one side. Under the boat Siric immediately notices the face and has a chance to avert his gaze before he must make an attempt to shrug off its petrifying power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Siric, make a Reflex save and a Fortitude Save
    Those standing make a DC 22 balance check or fall prone.
    Those prone make a DC 15 Reflex save or fall off the boat.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-12-02 at 01:54 PM.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Gritting his teeth as he falls to his knees and then onto his side, Tarrin does not bother to rise. Instead, he seeks the mind he has already shredded once, and does so again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Usage 2/3 for the day. DC 17 Will to negate, (7d10)[35] damage.

Concentration check: (1d20+14)[18] Require a total of 16 to manifest defensively. He will not manifest at all unless it is defensively.

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Gordon feels the boat shift beneith his feet, and slips down, but rolls with it keeping his balance.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright the attack and damage won't fly, but due to the Thief Acrobat PrC he suffers no penalty to her AC or on her melee attack rolls when kneeling, sitting, or prone. & next round he will Kip Up

balance check = (1d20+16)[19]
    Attack = (1d20+12)[23]
    Damage = (1d8+6)[14] + (1d6)[3]
    If critable (4d6)[14]
    Last edited by Unkabear; 2008-12-03 at 11:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carcer slips and slides down the rapidly tilting boat, barely catching himself by slamming his legs into the stout railing. For a moment, it would look as if he had been lying down peacefully on the deck. He snaps his hand up and back, eyes going out of focus as his arcane power crackles across the deck and settles across the party like a heavy cloak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haste cast on anyone still on the boat at 22 Init, including Carcer, the dragon, and anyone within 30 feet of Carcer. Seven targets, priority goes pc dps on boat, pc others on boat, Carcer, dragon, anyone else in the water, any other allies.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.

25. - Top - End - #55

Dancer

Well that was foolish.

To actually slip. How embarrassing! And it had been such a dramatic entrance too! Ah well. No use worrying about it now.

I just have to get up. Without getting mauled by that things pointy teeth. I would rather avoid that. I like this shirt.

Dancer bunched his muscles and threw himself into a backwards roll, flipping up onto his hands and tumbling backwards repeatedly until he had moved back into a portion of shadow, where he attempted to fade in.

Spoiler
    Show

Double move, tumble/move back into shadow as far as my speed lets me (30ft), and then attempt to Hide in Plain Sight.

Tumble - (1d20+13)[18]
    Hide - (1d20+13)[21]

*crosses fingers*
    Maneuvers Currently Readied (Text means its been used):
    Shadow Garrote (Shadow/3/78)[s]
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-12-04 at 01:47 AM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edmiester

Edward narrowly adverted his gaze from the monsters entrancing eyes that he suspected would have quite dangerous affects on him.

This.... isn't going to be fun.

Throwing caution to the currents, Edward swims up to the beast and punches several times in the face, hoping that he'll cause some major damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim and punch the head three times.
    Attack Roll 1 (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage 1 (1d8+3)[10]
    Attack Roll 2 (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage 2 (1d8+3)[7]
    Attack Roll 3 (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage 3 (1d8+1)[9]

Av by kpenguin ^_^

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Tendrils of arcane power encircle the group and empower their bodies with supernatural speed and accuracy. The tumbling thief assails the beast but finds that even his new supernatural quickness cannot breach the beast's hide. Under water Edward's flurry of strikes are impeded by the water until at last one slides through the currents and powers through the beast's defenses. The mind of the beast seems incredibly more resilient than the first time Tarrin had attempted to assail its mind. The shadowy new assailant slides back and out of the way as the entire boat heaves and begins to sway to and fro. The beast tears free the sections of the boat it had been gripping and glides back from Edward a few crucial feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    The creature is now entirely submerged.
    Anyone standing please make a DC 18 balance check to avoid falling.
    Anyone prone make a reflex save at DC 15 to avoid falling into the water.
    It does not provoke from Siric as it used a five foot step.
    Those that had tried to engage it in melee may take an AoO as the heads retreat.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Reflex: (1d20+5)[19]
    Concentration: (1d20+14)[17] vs DC 19.

Post forthcoming once I see my reflex, concentration.

Ranged Touch: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage:(4d8)[14]

Tarrin

Bracing himself against the ship, Tarrin chants magics while keeping his eyes open. He stumbles on the words and loses the spell, the electricity building in his hands dissapaiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell attempting casting was Orb of electricity. If I didn't need to cast defensively, tell me and I'll update with actually casting the spell instead of losing it.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-12-04 at 11:22 PM.

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #59

Dancer
    Spoiler
    Show

Balance - (1d20+11)[28]
    Reflex - (1d20+11)[27]

Forgot synergy bonus on balance last times D:

Yay, I don't fall!

Dancer, now safely hidden in the shadows, at least for the time being, reaches out a hand and shapes it into a bent claw shape, and literally carves out a strand of the surrounding shadows, hurling it toward the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Shadow Garrote. Hide again at end of turn.

And I'm officially retarded for trying to edit in rolls. In OOC.

Maneuvers Currently Readied

Spoiler
    Show
    (Text means its been used):
    Shadow Garrote (Shadow/3/78)

Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-12-05 at 04:29 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling first, then writing actions...
    (1d20+9)[25] Reflex

Excellent

Carcer manages to stay on the boat as it violently rights itself, stands, and spits out a few arcane words in Sylvan. His hands dance through the air and carve glowing arcane patterns into the ether. With a growl he finishes the spell, his human form melting away into a long sinuous body of white scales and humming magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Carcer casts Alter Shape; Ravid.
    Last edited by Jansviper; 2008-12-05 at 06:07 PM.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.