Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Children of Zarus IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex = (1d20+12)[31]
    Balance = (1d20+16)[26]

Gordon manages to roll with the pitch of the ship and stay in place long enough to swing his feet into the air and then follow with his body. Landing not only on his feet, but with a solid foothold.

But then as he brought his weapon to bare, the creature was gone. But Gordon had a gut feeling that this was not the end of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kip up
    Last edited by Unkabear; 2008-12-06 at 12:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cael The Fall, The Found, The Departed New Guard
    Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

More heads? Fine.

Edward channels his druidic energy, giving up one of his spells he had asked Zarus for in exchange for some help. In response, a shark comes swimming down the river, prepared to help the monk in any means he sees fit.

Spoiler
    Show
    If casting a spell would provoke an AoO, than move back 5 ft.

Turning "Meld into stone" into summoning a shark. You'll roll for him maybe, yes?

Av by kpenguin ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by trollhammeren View Post
    I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Sophia

Sophia whistled to her dragon as she was handed her lance from another crew member. The paladin was now quite pissed with having to play the staccato side-stepping game of trying to keep her balance. She wondered how something with three heads could be stupid enough to challenge the children of Zarus. Regardless, she wanted a chance to impale that stupid thing the second it resurfaced. If nothing else, she might allow the others some leniancy with moment if she split the creature's attention between a flying dragon and it's rider, or a boat full of people slinging attacks.
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2008-12-06 at 11:16 PM.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

As those still on the boat ready their defenses and attempt assaults upon the creature it seems that their efforts are in vain. The creature lashes out at the shark as it draws close with one head and latches on with the bite to then dig in and coil around the beast. The shark is crushed and bleeding but still seems to have some fight left in him.

Spoiler
    Show
    17 bite damage and 14 constriction damage to the shark. It is currently grappled. The creature is 80ft downstream from Edward, provoking AoOs for moving through every space around him.

The boat moves 40ft downstream.

Edward moves 40ft downstream at the end of his turn, putting him 40ft from the creature.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-12-10 at 01:46 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edward swims to the top of the river. "Are we to hunt down the beast?"

Av by kpenguin ^_^

I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

"Let us see if I can affect it's mind once more."

Tarrin reaches out, attempting to access the creature's mind and lock it away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brain Lock, augmented to catch just about everything from humanoid to aberration to dragons and outsiders.

DC 15 or dazed for Concentration + 1 round.

Dazed: The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Sophia

Sophia scanned the waves carefully from atop her draconian steed. Her pink dragon did so as eagerly with its yellow eyes, lingering several feet above but about the same spot the druid had dived into the water. A misty red clawed to the top of the murky depths and the rider instantly dreaded the fate of the Children's druid. Nothing else came to the top. Dragon and rider alike snorted in unison, a mutual angry running between their thoughts that the waterlogged monstrosity wouldn't stay to accept its fate at the end of Sophia's lance and her steed's might.

Let the cur hide, Sophia hissed through the psychic link to her mount. Killing a coward will not spread word of the glory of Zarus, or our own. Taking the fort will play an integral part in both. For now, we regroup.

Taking the time to sneer at the water that collaborated to keep the creature safe, they flew back to the ship, Sophia silently dreading that they had lost two saintly soldiers already. And yet, it occurred to her, if they are dead, then they were not worthy of being human. She frowned at that thought, particularly hating attaching it to the memory of Edric, and feeling almost sinful for thinking it of a druid. A glance at the side of the ship confirmed their forest sage was safe.

When rider and mount returned to the ship, the paladin stalked to the bow of the ship. She took a calming breathe long before her blue eyes easily discerned the stranger and the cartographer that she wished to speak to equally. Sophia approached the man she knew first, but positioned herself so that she could also keep an impassive eye on the stranger. Despite this she then paid her attention mostly to Tarrin. She realized that, as the information gatherer of the group, he was likely busy getting a rough idea of what damages and loses they had taken, and seemed to be concentrating on something.

Sophia paused, giving the man time to focus on whatever it was that warranted just standing around, although she still glanced around impatiently, clearly eager to make a request.

Spoiler
    Show
    My excuse for not staying on the dragon and waiting is, you guessed it, the sorta-low wisdom score. It's great having an excuse.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Closing his eyes, Tarrin shakes his head. "The creature was only caught off guard once before guarding it's mind. How unfortunate."

Tarrin then looks to the others. "If it lives in these waters, we will need to keep watch for it to return for vengeance. The mind of a lesser creature such as it will be consumed with such. We are no more than a day away from the fort, correct? We should be able to make it there before the creature has licked its wounds sufficiently enough to consider attacking again. I suggest we make all do haste."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dancer

Dancer steps out of the shadow he had been hiding in, blinking slightly in the brighter light.

"Indeed, I agree. It is futile to follow at this point."

Giving a slight bow to the rest of the group he continues. "I am called Dancer. I'm the...backup."

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Several minutes pass and there is no sign of the creature, putting the Children at ease as much as anything else might have. With night dragging on and the boat floating on even without much guidance at all the time has come for sleep. Those on hand would be wise to determine a schedule for keeping an eye on the waters and the banks while the others sleep.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Carcer takes one look at Dancer and judges him on the spot. Raising a hand, he calls out the classic challenge.

Yo

And goes back to looking for his book. Finding the tome, he wanders to the bow and tangles himself back into the railing to update his notes.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.
    "But I am a moron with a dream! And that my friends, is the most dangerous kind of moron."

"Well, I think we all know which ship Jans was on."

Theme Music Carcer Zoviir Matthew

12. - Top - End - #72

Dancer

Dancer raises an eyebrow at Carcer's speech, gives a nod, and turns away after his gaze lingered on the odd man a second longer.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Looking the man that called himself Dancer over, Tarrin smiled slightly. "I had wondered how long you were to follow the boat. Your skills at hiding are immensely good, but your magical items give off an aura that is visible to the right eyes, even when you hide your body in the shadow."

Tarrin offers Dancer his hand. "It was fortunate you had means to make it onto the boat yourself. I had prepared a spell to create a bridge, but would have disliked wasting the time casting it to bring you to us."

Spoiler
    Show
    And actually, he's had Dark Way prepared the whole time too. LOL

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #74

Dancer

Dancer muttered under his breath, "I told them..." before coming out of his reverie and accepting Tarrin's hand and shaking it firmly.

He gave his own small, slightly crooked smile in return. "I have found the ability to be useful myself."

"My orders were to follow until it seemed my assistance was necessary. I judged...this," he waves an arm in a wide gesture, "to be significant excuse." He gives a shrug. "Why they told me to do it that way, I can't say."
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-12-15 at 09:25 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Sophia

“We had the situation under control,” Sophia muttered, knowing the creature would have been killed before it tore most of the boat apart, or took another victim. The fact Tarrin picked up and dismissed the man as a threat earlier eased concerns she had about the stranger – and confirmed she was glad the cartographer was with them. She had paid little attention to the potential of stragglers.

The blond spoke up then, quickly if congenially, “Nice to have you aboard, Dancer. I'm Sophia, and that was Carcer. If at any time he does something strange, just remember he's the paladin of a lesser god

She trailed off, as though not much more needed to be said. “Tarrin. After we've landed and retaken the fort, I'd like to see the map you were drawing before. If you can, please note the point the creature attacked us at. It's possible Edric is still alive down there as stone.

“At any rate,” she glancing around at nothing in particular, not wanting to linger on the man overboard, and continued, “The night may grow thicker, but Zarus' sight is still keener. I'll take watch for the darker hours. I can detect any lurking evils that would use nightfall as a cover

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Pulling out his maps once more, Tarrin annotates on them. "So noted."

Before settling down for his two hours of sleep, Tarrin casts one last enchantment over the prow of the boat, setting an extended Alarm spell with a audible noise. Tarrin makes sure that the radius is set such that part of the spell extends below the surface of the water to catch the creature if it returns.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oddly enough, an extended Alarm spell will last 28 hours. I forgot that it was 2 hours/level, not 1 hour/level. Tarrin really should have had this up immediately, but oh well.

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #77

Dancer

Dancer listen's closely to the Paladin's words, not bothering much to hide his thoughts on her views of the groups ability to handle the beast. Maybe if you didn't want to have a ship left over...

At her explanation regarding Carcer, he simply nods, his gaze once again lingering on the odd man. Her words made sense, somewhat. He couldn't help but wonder why the man had been included as a member of the Children in that case. Clearly his abilities must be formidable.

He didn't bother asserting that he could keep watch just as well in the dark. The Paladin clearly had some kind of a...concept of duty that must explain her behavior. There was no need to step on anyone's toes.

Finally, he nodded his understanding and affirmation, and wandered over to stand at the railing near Carcer. He said nothing, opting to stand in silence rather than try and engage in conversation. He was certainly keen to do so, but the Wizard looked engrossed in his own thoughts, and Dancer had the feeling the outcome would be more interesting if the other man were to initiate a discussion.

Instead he simply stood there, gazing out over the railing into the darkness, lost in his own thoughts.

It certainly seemed like he was here for the long haul... provided no one tried to kill him in his sleep. That would be...troublesome. The Children seemed a largely decent group of men and women. He had certainly not expected a completely cordial welcome. For that matter he was surprised his arrival hadn't made more uproar than it had.

He knew for a fact that they should have known nothing about it. And it was likely clear that he did not come from any normal branch of the military. The Left Hand was unconcerned with the uniform and ceremony that so many other parts of the Empire's armed strength seemed to favor.

Loyalty and efficiency, yes. Pomp and prettiness, no. Granted, the children were a bit of a unique bunch--he couldn't help but glance over at the busily writing Carcer at thought--but they were still military.

Thinking further along those lines, he heaved an inward sigh. He was now technically no longer a part of the Left Hand. It had been the will of Zarus that he leave and join the Children, a part of the traditional Zaran military. Which meant, technically he was now a part of the military. He stuck his tongue out in distaste.

This also meant new superiors of course. That was never a particularly enjoyable experience. Although he didn't have problems with authority itself, it was always trying to have to bend and reform oneself to the expectations of a new officer. It was always different.

There was no point dwelling on that now though. Now, he was on a new mission. New mission, new companions...new life.

Dancer stared into the darkness, welcoming the night.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paramour Pink View Post
    The blond spoke up then, quickly if congenially, “Nice to have you aboard, Dancer. I'm Sophia, and that was Carcer. If at any time he does something strange, just remember he's the paladin of a lesser god
    That brings Carcer's head up. He turns around to stare at Sophia with an odd little half smile and a raised eyebrow, feeling the need to comment.

I highly doubt our god would appreciate being labeled as such. He is hardly lesser.

To Dancer, he spares another glance, but the look he gives the other man clearly states he is doing it under protest and will not be handing any more out any time soon.

Besides, he had work to do.
    "And I may be a moron."
    "Yes you are a moron.
    "But I am a moron with a dream! And that my friends, is the most dangerous kind of moron."

"Well, I think we all know which ship Jans was on."

Theme Music Carcer Zoviir Matthew

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edward

Mr. Diem silently broods a little. It wasn't so much the new ally, not at all. Just the inefficiency and distrust from the higher-ups. Wouldn't it simply be more efficient to give us this ally straight up? Maybe Edric wouldn't have lost his life if they had Dancer at the start of the fight.

On the other hand, Edward can hardly believe that someone who died so quickly at the start of this mission was considered an "Elite." Next time, his superiors shouldn't bother sending out people who aren't ready.

Av by kpenguin ^_^

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Over the course of the night the alarm is activated no less than three times but with the first occurrence Tarrin cannot find anything within range that should have set it off. The others would most likely be cross with him over having been woken up but that is irrelevant when the Alarm is triggered for the second time two hours later. Again the creature has not returned but Tarrin notices an abandoned canoe along the side of the river that seems slightly out of place but by the time the others notice it is too far upstream and any that double back find it to be missing. The third time the Alarm is triggered the sun is rising on the horizon. The mage scans the waters intently but the glare from the rising sun seems to foil his efforts.

If all goes as planned they should be reaching the target area around midday to early afternoon. If anyone has preparations they would like to make this would be the time. There is also the matter of stopping and mooring the boat once they arrive (as the river seems to be impossibly wide, deep, and fast, but this DM doesn't know anything about that).
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-12-19 at 08:35 AM.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    tarrin would have employed arcane sight the first time, and if any auras showed up, see invis. If he didn't employ see invis the first time, the second time he would have and done a quick search of the ship, and checked his belongings.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He would have found no magical auras (unless I misread something and Arcane Sight can detect Supernatural abilities) and would not have found anything missing nor would he have found any further damage to the ship. Apparently whatever was out there was testing the Alarm and will likely continue to do so.

Roll me off another Knowledge Arcana check.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane sight would see magical auras like detect magic would. If the Su ability is duplicating a spell, then he'd see the aura of the spell.

Knowledge: (1d20+16)[33]

Don't be stupid.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Referencing the Canoe Tarrin remembers an obscure reference to the creature, named a Sisutl, being able to take an alternate form. Namely that of a grinning Canoe.

Tarrin would have noted the presence of form altering supernatural qualities but its high speed in the water and the boat being carried downstream would have put it outside the range of his sight quickly.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Tarrin

Tarrin scowls at the rapidly disappearing canoe, stretching out with his mind, only to find the ship has moved away too quickly. "The creature we defeated before has shifted into the shape of that canoe. It is apparently testing us to see how well our defenses are set up. I suggest we do not let them lax."
    Last edited by Lochar; 2008-12-19 at 10:47 AM.

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

A canoe...well stranger things have happened. Gordon just sat about watching the waters. Watching for anything that might seem out of place.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+12)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show

Cael The Fall, The Found, The Departed New Guard
    Mr. E The Guard
    Ozzy the Otter SCIENCE!
    Zzhefan Tallymen
    Mooageddon L.O.S.E.
    Sara Martins The Found

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Sophia

“A glorious morning to you all,” Sophia said in a chipper manner, as she arrived again on the bow. Her pleasant manner beguiled the fact the alarm had constantly decapitated her attempts at sleeping. Evidently, from her presentable – hair tied into a taut ponytail, eyes alert, full plate and face clean – she had spent her time on more trivial pursuits.

“I take it our two-faced friend attempted to sneak up on us

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The morning passes without incident but as the day drags into afternoon the river rounds the plateau. The northern side of the river is still yet occupied by mountainous terrain and the remnants of the plateau. The southern side of the river is dominated by sparse populations of trees with large clearings. In one such clearing there is a large gathering of tents surrounding a large fire that is sending smoke rising high into the sky. The size and distance from the shore is sketchy, but they are estimated to be around 100 to 200 feet from the river. There are trees closer to the river on either side of the clearing but no visible roads. The only plainly visible creatures at your current distance are equine in nature. The boat will pass the clearing in four rounds unless someone on board does something to stop it.

Spoiler
    Show
    A Geography (25), History (20), or Nature check (18) would reveal that the southern side should have many more trees and that there are signs that the area had once been subject to a slash and burn logging operation and sparsely repopulated.

25 on History reveals it was repopulated by mourning elves that hoped to rebuild their forest. 30 on History reveals that they abandoned the area after the trading stronghold to the south was compromised. 35 on History reveals where they went, but I don't know yet. XD

And wow, I typed all that and I don't think any of you have History...

Spot check of 15 notices the camp before they notice ya'll. A higher check may glean more information. You may make any other checks but specify what they are for.
    Mz. Pink's dragon is currently napping as far as she can tell.

DC 10 Profession (Sailor) check to run the boat aground and give everyone a DC 15 reflex save or go flying. In this case anyone that hits a natural one or fails by five or more would be ejected from the boat and take 2d6 damage. DC 15 to run it ashore with minimal damage (and a DC 10 Balance to stay standing). DC 20 to stop it safely. Rolling five or lower damages the boat, giving a -5 on all checks to steer in the future.

It would take two people five rounds to lower the anchor. Twice that for one person. An abrupt stop from lowering the anchor will force a DC 15 balance to stay standing. A DC 15 Sailor check can be made by anyone involved in stopping the ship by anchor to negate this.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2008-12-20 at 11:32 PM.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #89

Dancer

Dancer finally stands from his position at the prow, stretching luxuriously. His eyes are slightly squinted against the light of the sun, but it doesn't seem to inconvenience him terribly.

"I know everyone sees what I see. So, do we stop, or keep going? My vote is to stop. This constant pitching is getting on my nerves. And besides, there s always the chance that we can bring Zarus to those in need." He smiles at his comment.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fairly away from internet until after X-mas, due to travelling.

Tarrin's actions here can be NPC'd. Consider his spell list refreshed, I just haven't gone and changed the cast numbers to 0/?.

If we stop, Tarrin will get our resident paladin to allow him to borrow his eyes or his dragon's eyes, have them fly up, then cast arcane eye. Arcane eye has a casting range of however far he can see.

Tarrin will then map the general area out with the arcane eye, copying it to the map he's been making of the general area.

He'll report back on what all he's found, and if there's something of interest, will dump a spell into the map to imbue it, then drop a black tentacles spell onto the person of most seeming importance.

Tarrin

"I don't care which, but I do have a few ideas on how to scout it if we do wish to stop."

Don't be stupid.