New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Children of Zarus IC

Tarrin

Pulling out a sheet of paper and drawing as the eye continues, Tarrin frowns.

"Thirteen trolls, at a minimum. Eleven moving around the area, two in this shack. There are stairs that lead down, but my eye was stopped and ended when it went down there."

Spoiler
    Show
    Craft: Cartography check: (1d20+21)[31]

Since he's in the area as he's creating, he should be able to autopass the DC (25-5, if in area). If not, need to roll a 4 or better.

Tapping the two entrances he has drawn on the map, Tarrin continues. "This smaller entrance here is rubble blocked mostly. Possible to pass through, maybe. The larger entrance, which appears to have been the fort's main entrance, has been barricaded. I wouldn't call it professional, but it has been done, and using part of the original door into the fort itself, as well."

Sacrificing his spell for an orb of electricity, Tarrin imbues the map created with magic.

Drawing a wand from his pack, Tarrin points it at the map and activates a charge from it, directing the spell Detect Magic into the map itself, using his Cartogramantic casting technique. He centers the Detect spell around the hut first, and then sweeps it outward over the whole of the fort, looking for any and all magical auras in the map.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic from the wand lasts a minute a casting. Tell me how many charges I'm burning doing this, and how many Spellcraft checks I need to make to identify all auras that come up.

Tarrin's not done yet, but I want to get the results of this before I go any further.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-01-24 at 05:57 PM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I hate to double post...

Tarrin

Tarrin continues. There appear to be no magical auras on the ground level of the fort. Which means no wards, nor are the trolls carrying any magical items unless someone took a lot of time preparing before hand."

He then taps the shack. "However, where my eye disappeared there are three auras. Divination, Abjuration, and Transmutation. For those of you who don't study magic, divination is usually the school that provides or blocks the gathering of information. Abjuration in this case would be physical shielding, and the transmutation spell would most likely be a trap of some type for crossing the boundary. Probably what destroyed my eye."

He taps the map again. "My only issue at the moment is whether or not the destruction of my eye was passive or not. If it was passive, no one might still know we are there, short of what happened with the dragon. If it was aggressive, then they know that they have been scouted."

"I have a way of giving us almost perfect peace of mind for the next half day or so, however it would require us abandoning the boat."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

For several minutes Carcer sees nothing out of the ordinary until it would be time for his invisibility to fail. He hears the twang of a crossbow too late and it slides between his emaciated ribs in his altered form. Whomever fired it seems to be adept at hiding their form while taking such shots, but if his eyes are keen enough he might be able to catch the individual. The troll on the ground immediately takes notice and begins climbing the tree. Fast. Really fast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Carcer takes 18 points of damage and must make a fortitude save DC 17 or take 5 points of con damage.

Another spot check can be made to find the sniper.

If you plan to engage in combat and not simply flee, Init please.

Dancer notes the eleven trolls mulling about the main courtyard and where he stands near the damaged wall sections currently leaves him undetected. However, if he wants to move inside it seems likely that the damaged section will make quite a bit of noise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me a wisdom check modified by your level.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<