New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Twilight of the World [IC]

Arkturus Astamir

The High Elf looks towards Darus Hammerforge and the human with cold violet eyes, he had been looking at the state of their cell's door for sometime now. His interest seems peaked as he states himself a smith and craftsman, however.

"Good evening to you, Darus Hammerforge. And to you, human Uther." He adds in 'human' as if that was some dirty word. And at that, you can see Faëra's expression dull. His eyes scan the walls once more, then come to rest on the one opening that allowed the moonlight to shine in.

"My name is Arkturus Astamir and I am a High Elf. This is my servant, Faëra."

The girl timidly waves to you all as they wait for the captain to show up.
    A Revenant

2. - Top - End - #32

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"A pleasure to meet you." Hammerforge said to the elves and the servant girl. "So tell me, seeing as we have little otherwise to do, what business did you have in the city? I myself travelled from a nearby mine with a fellow dwarven caravan to sell our wares. The day had been quite glorious actually, until we got thrown in here." He grumbled.
    I drew this line myself

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

As you talk between yourselves, you hear heavy footsteps from the outside, and a voice shouting orders to the guards. The door suddenly opens, and the young officer who arrested you at the inn enters the small cell, along with two guards, who stay by the door. The man moves forwards, standing next to you, and starts speaking, in a rather tired voice.

Young Man:"I'm sorry for arresting you. Of course these charges are false; they were only something meant to protect you. We have strong evidence to believe that the Crawling Dragon Inn was going to be attacked by a criminal guild, and that the attack would probably have happened today. You remember what I said, don't you, Marcus ?" - The man looks to the innkeeper, who procceds to answer.

Marcus, Innkeeper:"Aye, aye, I remember. I knew the risks when I started doing this. You're not the only one who wishes to protect the city, you know. I was in the military too."

Young man: "Yes, I know, but that's not what is in question now." - The man takes a quick look to you, and continues speaking - "I see that most of you are warriors, or at least have the likes of a warrior. I thereby will grant you a choice; you can stay here on this cell until we solve the problem with this criminal organization, or you can actually help us solve this problem. I'm afraid I can't let you free until this is over, because else it was going to be pretty suspicious and informants to the guild could blow our plans to them. So it's either help us or stay here. What do you say ?"

Spoiler
    Show

I know that the game is being kind of railroaded until now, but bear with me. Soon, after this all is over, you'll have a lot more of freedom. I just wish to create some bonds between yourselves and start one of the game's plots. Oh, and obviously you can still refuse and wait for things to sort out by themselves.
    My own homebrewed world/setting: Yay!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tellan Etara

Tellan has, for a while, been twitching or making repetitive motions, his short attention span quickly tapped out by the bare jail cell. He raises his eyebrows when he learns of the plot, but literally jumps at the opportunity to help. Leaping to his feet (an impressive accomplishment in his manacles), he eagerly nods. "I would love to help!"
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #35

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"And what of my Dwarven kin? Are they to be allowed to aid us in this task? I just know they'll all volunteer, I suppose I'll have to as well." Sighed Hammerforge, his day getting progressively less glorious by the hour. "I'll be needing my warhammer." He said to the young man.
    I drew this line myself

6. - Top - End - #36

Arkturus Astamir

"I see. Could we know a bit more about this organisation? What are their dealings, and why would they attack that Inn, out of all things?"

The High Elf looks dubiously at the Dark Elf, but then as the dwarf volunteers himself, he clears his throat. "Perhaps it is best to leave your companions out of this. I know from personal experience that bringing people you value on dangerous errands can get them killed. Or.. stolen away from you. They can become a liability."

He then turns towards the young guard and his violet eyes stares him for a few seconds. "I suppose we can expect some kind of favorable treatment if we are to help? Like giving us a proper room instead of a jail cell? If so, I am volunteering to help, and I will need, as Hammerforge requested, my weapons: Whip and short sword."

He then looks at Faëra. "She is my servant, but this is too dangerous a mission for her. I'd like, however, that she be treated fairly, and taken out of this cell for the duration of this... assignment."

The young human girl simply shies away from the looks, her face red with embarrassment at being called a liability.
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-10-29 at 08:13 PM.
    A Revenant

7. - Top - End - #37

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"There'd be little I could do to stop them, High Elf. Besides, we can take care of ourselves. We're mostly craftsmen, but Bentsword can slice a house in two. Aye, the house would have to be small, but I swear to you he could. And have you ever tried to steal a Dwarf? You'd be better off stealing a boulder, easier to carry and a lot less fiesty. I bet I weigh more than you do!" Hammerforge laughed, his postiveness beginning to shine through again. "Do you hear that Bentsword? There's gonna be a scrap after all!" He called out. What sounded like a cheer was the reply.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know my Dwarven companions probably won't be joining us for this assignment and definetly won't be for the main adventures, but Hammerforge would want them to go and they themselves would want to go, at least for now. Also like to point out that the Dwarves, almost by cliche, have a Scottish accent, of sorts.
    I drew this line myself

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther looked straight at the guard and said confidently, "Just tell me what needs to be done and I'll do it."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Young Man: "Very well, I apreciate your help. About your comrades, my dwarven friend, all the warriors that were at the Inn tonight are being given this offer. If they choose to accept, then they may accompany you. Wait, we'll deal with details later. Guards ! Unbind them, and give their weapons back."

"Yes, sir !" - A guard swiftly frees you of your bindings, and returns your weapons. As the young officer leaves the cell, heading for the other ones, the guards says to you: "Come now, follow me."

You are led by the guard through some stone corridors of what seems like a prision; there are metal doors on both walls and you are clearly underground. After a few minutes, you arrive at a stone staircase, which you climb up. The guard leads you through a few more corridors, and then finally stops before a wooden door. "You may enter, the Captain will soon come."

Opening the door, you are met by a large, empty room. The room is probably used for meetings or plannings, because the large open space is able to hold many people. You wait for a little, and soon the wooden door opens again; the young man enters the room, followed by the three dwarves and two other humans you haven't met. Three guards also enter behind them.

Young Man: "Very well. This place is not apropriated for young girls and old retired officers. Take them to my room, upstairs."

Faëra and Marcus, the latter with a low curse directed towards the young man, leave the room following a guard.

Young Man: "I am Donal Lugh, Captain of the City Guard of Nyírbátor. The situation is this: there's a new criminal guild working in town, creating problems and troubles for everyone, mainly by killing important people. They are hard to track, and have caused me a lot of headache already. However, with their attack today on the Crawling Dragon Inn, I could prove my theory, and now I know where they are hiding. We will launch a full attack on their hideout tonight, and for what we need the help of skilled people.... you. Because this will be something dangerous, and also because of the troubles you had to go through tonight, there will be a reward in gold for you, after we finish this."

10. - Top - End - #40

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Bentsword and Mithrilaxe cheered and started boasting about how many criminal's heads they'd be bringing home. Oresmith looked less than happy, which was partly due to his young age of 34 and his utter lack of anything combat related. Hammerforge approached him and whispered to him: "You don't have to fight if you don't want to, there is no dishonour in..." "No! I will fight with my dwarven kin and we will all celebrate our victory with many a fine ale!" Bentsword and Mithrilaxe patted Oresmith on the back, smiling. It was obvious to Hammerforge that Oresmith had mixed feelings about this, but he seemed determined to prove himself, so Hammerforge wouldn't stop him. "Then, dear Captain, you have 4 dwarves, at your service."
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-10-30 at 02:22 PM.
    I drew this line myself

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

"This is great. I don't consider this predicament trouble at all. It's the exact type of straightforward action I've been looking for."

12. - Top - End - #42

Tellan Etara

Tellan adjusts his stuff and makes sure he's all set. "I'm ready. Just say the word." Ready for your doom, maybe... Tellan sighs, the formerly mute spirit harshly intoning his prophecy. It was probably nothing...but Tai'Maquilloc's harsh laughter echoed in Tellan's ears.

13. - Top - End - #43

Arkturus Astamir

A full attack huh... this could turn nasty if that guild had informants among the guards. Which they most likely have.

"I'd be willing to participate put these criminals to justice. However beforehand, I'd like to know a bit more about the how, the when of this attack. There is a finite chance that they are already ready to face such odds. If they have a hideout, it might be a good idea to first establish barrages at key passageways around it. This way you might find rats trying to leave the sinking ship during the attack."

The High Elf then simply readies himself, ready to go.
    A Revenant

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Donal Lugh: "Yes yes, of course I've already done that. Don't worry, my friend, I am not a captain in my young age for nothing. I think I have all bases covered. About 'when', the attack will happen right now. About 'where' and 'how', I must tell you as we move, or else we will be wasting too much time. Come, we will follow through an underground secret passage to somewhere safe and empty where we can follow to the guild's hideout."

The young captain leaves the room, signaling for you to follow him. He leads you through some corridors, but every one seems like the one before, like a maze.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the quick post, I'm really tired now and don't have time to write something more elaborate. I'll do so tomorrow morning or in the afternoon. Feel free to roleplay, if you wish.

15. - Top - End - #45

Arkturus Astamir

"That's good to hear."

After a while walking in the dark passageways under the city, Arkturus approaches the dwarf and asks him a fairly straightforward question.

"Supposing they know we're coming through here... wouldn't it be a great idea to collapse those tunnels and corridors? How strong is the masonry down here, Hammerforge?"

He then turns to the young captain.

"How long has it been since you started tracking these assassins? And how many victims have there been?"
    A Revenant

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge approached a wall and took out his hammer. He put an ear to the wall and began to lightly tap the wall. He did this for several seconds until he stopped and said: "These stone walls were built to last... It may be possible to close some tunnels and corridors, but it will be difficult and I cannot guarantee that the collapse will be localised, or even if it will work."
    I drew this line myself

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

You continue to walk through the underground corridors for some time, and most of you can't remember when was it that you left the place you where before and entered the maze. As Arkturus asks the Captain about the guild, he gives out the information he has, for everyone to hear;

Donal Lugh: "Well, we noticed that there was something amiss about two months ago. Important people, mostly nobles or rich traders, started to dissapear or be found dead. We started investigating, and soon found that it was no coincidence, it was all the work of a new criminal guild that is arising in the underworld. About victims... There are too many to count. Not only people from here have died, but also local nobles and chiefs of the near areas and villages around the city." - After some time in silence, the Captain continues - "I can't imagine their motives. Although all the victims were important people, they have no obvious connections with each other, and the guild has not asked for ransoms or any kind of payment. It seems that all they want is to shed blood and spread death and terror through the city." - The Captain goes silent again, as if his words had a great weight upon him.

You continue walking through the seemingly same corridors for a while, before the Captain finally stops. He analyzes the walls for some instants, looking for something. After a few minutes, he finds what he was looking for, and with a smile presses one of the bricks on the wall. From the ceiling right above you, a trapdoor opens, revealing the starless night sky. A guard, already waiting on the outside, drops a rope to you, and one by one you rise from the tunnels into a small hill, with many bushes and small trees, perfect for hiding.

Donal Lugh: "No stars... This is a bad omen. Very well, everyone, listen to me. Look in that direction." - The Captain points in a direction, and you all look; there is a great warehouse in the outskirts of the city. It seems to be abandoned, but the ones with sharper visions are able to see candle lights and movement inside of the building. - "This is what we believe to be one of the guild's main hideouts, and also the place where an important meeting will happen between the leaders of the organization. Our strike today will be decisive in this battle." - Going back to the safe cover of the trees, the Captain continues, explaining the plan with a map opened by one of the guards - "This is what we will do. First, you will divide yourself in two teams. I will lead the bulk of my fellow guards, who are stationed ahead on the path, against the guild, from the front door, here. The battle will probably be tough, because they have the numeric and strategic advantage. However, shortly after, when their confidences are high, a smaller group of elite guards, led by the first team, will invade the building by this side, and join the battle, outflanking the enemy. This will probably lead to our victory, and the conquest of the first floor. The enemy leaders and elite soldiers are on the second floor, and will probably have the stairs and every way up blocked or heavily defended by the time we conquer the first floor. We will try to breach through their defenses, but it will be at this time that the help from the second team will be needed; you will invade the second floor from behind, through that hill, and assassinate or restrain the guild's leaders. Even if the primary objective is not accomplished, you will be able to help us gain the second floor and win this battle."

The Captain rises from the ground, checking his own armor and blade. He looks to the distant warehouse, lost in his own thoughts. He turns back to you; "Any questions ?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to ask for the players to discuss in the OOC thread if they want to be on team 1 or team 2 before replying to this thread. I'd like if every player was in the same team.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

"I'll go with the group that's heading directly for the leaders. Great men are made by great challenges," said Uther coolly.

19. - Top - End - #49

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

"Very well, I will go with..." Darus stopped as he noticed his 3 companions already walking off with the guards. "Ah, the fire in the forge doth spark at random. I shall accompany you, young Ulridge." Said Hammerforge, reciting an old dwarven proverb as he heaved up his warhammer into his steady hands.
    I drew this line myself

20. - Top - End - #50

Arkturus Astamir

"I have no further questions. You've answered my only query. As for the task at hand, if we do manage to restrain the leaders, we will come help you if the fighting is still going on. Unless you'd rather we stay and guard the guild leaders?"

The High Elf looks at his team his violet eyes clearly examining each and every one of their features before he readies himself to head off.

"We'll take care of the leaders. How do we recognize them though?"

He will head off as soon as the young Captain explains, sword in hand.
    A Revenant

21. - Top - End - #51

Tellan Etara

Tellan listens thoughtfully. If any of the other assembled people have much (or any, really) experience with Dark Elves, they are almost certainly surprised by his contemplative silence. He observes the hideout for a few seconds, before finally nodding silently, seemingly to himself. "I'll help with the defeat of the leaders. I know my way around a blade."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Donal Lugh: "Depends on the situation. If you manage to safely restrain the leaders and we are in need of help, then you should come. But on any other situation it will be better to guard the leaders. Well, I say leaders, but the only one you should really be worried about getting is a man with a cross-shaped scar over his left eye. That's the most powerful man in the guild that we know of, and his arrest is essential to us. The other leaders are just small fry near him."

The Captain gives some small orders to the other groups, and prepares to leave. He goes over to you, and ways that you will move with an experienced guard through the hills, protected by the trees, and will enter the warehouse from behind. He bides you good luck, and leaves with the rest of the soldiers.

The guard that serves as your guide truly is experienced. He moves through the trees and bushes with incredible speed, for the terrain you are in. Many times he has to stop and wait until you catch up to him, but that does not bother him. You follow the man for what seems like ten minutes, and then you suddenly leave the protection of the trees. You feel naked, but there are no way that someone would see you, as it is already dark, and there are no stars out in the sky. The guard points you to a window in the second floor of the warehouse, easily reachable by climbing onto a lone tree close to the building. He says he will stand on guard, as he is not suited for these kinds of missions. Now, it is up to you.

You tree leaves you close to the window, and you only need to climb over a small patch of rough wall before you are able to reach your destination. One of you slowly and cautiously opens the window, without making any noise. You slip inside, and quickly hide behind some crates, giving a quick look to the area in your way. You are inside a big room, full of crates and boxes. It is dark, but in the distance you can see a small light, maybe from a candle. It could be a guard. Surely, as soon as everyone is in, you notice that you weren't silent enough, as you hear footsteps aproaching, and the sound of a man's voice: "Hey, did you hear something over there ?"
    Last edited by Silverkiss; 2008-11-08 at 04:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge is the last one to climb through the window, and his small size is a hinderance. He heeves himself over the window frame, only to trip and land heavily on the wooden floor, alerting what could be a guard. Hammerforge tightened his grip on his warhammer and waited.
    Last edited by Blockhead; 2008-11-10 at 06:24 PM.
    I drew this line myself

24. - Top - End - #54

Tellan Etara

Tellan moves with stealth befitting his lithe form. He carefully creeps around various trees and other impediments, almost but not quite managing to keep up with the skilled guardsman. When the group finally reaches the fortress, he crouches down before vaulting over the wall, leading the way and silently opening the window. He slithers in, and dashes behind a stack of crates, motioning the others in. He cringes at Darus' unquiet entry, but stays silent.

25. - Top - End - #55

Arkturus Astamir

Watching the others at their less-than-silent entrance, Arkturus decides to take the lead, he asks for the dark elf, which seemed to be adequate for the job, then tells him to hide a few crates in front of the two others. He imitates that, hopefully right across the path that leads to the window and waits in silence as the guards spot the noise. If they should come to check it out, he will leap for one with his whip and wrap it around one's neck, strangling him backwards into the shadows.
    A Revenant

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Uther Ulridge

Uther hides behind a crate right beside the entrance. He then waits for whoever enters the room intent on giving him a quick shot to the back of his head and covering his mouth if necessary to prevent him from calling for help.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2008-11-11 at 12:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

You nervously wait in the dark, behind the crates. The ever-aproaching footsteps come to a halt, and you can hear the movement of a man close. Without a moment's notice, Arkturus and Uther lash out in furious speed, grabbing the two guards who were aproaching. Arkturus' victim quickly dies, strangled by the whip around his neck, while the guard Uther hit is only unconscious.

With a quick look around, you can see that there is no one else in the room. The light in the distance still persists, probably a candle used by the guards for illumination. You don't see any doors or passages near you, and it is difficult to see far away.

28. - Top - End - #58

PirateCaptain

Darus Hammerforge

Hammerforge nods to Astamir and Ulridge and walks forward. His time in the mines had given him a little better eyesight in the dark, but dark was still dark and it was still difficult to see anything specific.
    I drew this line myself

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

As Darus moves forward, he can see that the room through which you invaded the warehouse is just a big deposit, full of crates and boxes. Getting closer and closer to the light source, Darus can see that it is really a candle, placed above a table where also rest some cards and a bottle. Near the table is a wooden door, seemingly the only entrance or exit to the room.

30. - Top - End - #60

Arkturus Astamir

The High Elf, once he is done disposing of the man's body waits for the others to move forward. He first strides towards the unconscious guard and pressing the weight of his blade against his throat, he methodically slits the neck open, blood slowly drenching the body. He proceeds to look for anything on value on both guards, such as information, instructions or keys.

Once he is finished with his work, he will look for and grab a tool of some kind in the room, or using his own blade, he will pry open the crates to check out their contents, examining what kind of trafficking they seem to be into, and confiscating anything that might look out of the ordinary from the two crates he opens up.

He then moves towards the dwarf and his companions, ready to go.

"Let us make haste, they have probably begun fighting downstairs."
    Last edited by El_Frenchie; 2008-11-14 at 06:33 AM.
    A Revenant