New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Eclipse Station Star Wars d20mod

I know a lot about them, yes, but I don't have the correct vocal chords to speak their language. However, the smarter ones do know galactic basic, generally. Wait, some of them had nets, right? why not just bag them up in a net, and interrogate them while they're tangled up?

Great, we have prisoners. The Jedi is gonna throw a fit if we just execute them, and we don't have the manpower to guard them, I really wish that the defel had just shot them with kill bolts, it'd make life easier. Well, while I'm wishing for things, maybe something a little more concrete than a vague promise about how management is going to help me with transport out of here would be nice.

As Asyr was talking and musing, he grabbed a net or two and proceeded to wrap the stunned ranats up in them, then went back to picking out the trail of the creature we were hired to deal with.

Well, anyone have any ideas about what to do with our prisoners? We really don't have the manpower to spare to look after them, and I'm pretty sure that management isn't going to send another squad our way to deal with them. Cyrus, do you want me to ask or do you want to do it?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

@randomlunatic
    Spoiler
    Show
    The proper place for a rules discussion would really be the ooc board... But...I would argue that while a dodge bonus against an invisible foe would indeed be negated (Which I could think up several situations where this would not seem to make sense... this being one of them, I would also argue you can dodge an opponent if you have a good idea of their location),

From pure Raw it could also be argued that the bright conditions engendered by the blaster fire both from you and an F-Web or two could change the lighting situation enough to in some ways mitigate your cover.

Theoretically this could temporarily over the course of that round and the one before negate your invisibity bonus and theoretically cause you to not get the +2 bonus from invisibility for all your attacks, and cause their attacks from the round before you killed them to ignore the additional penalties and miss chances in addition to netting them a +2 flanking bonus...

The entire problem is one of exact lighting. Whereas the initial set up clearly denoted a lack of sufficient light, it also mentions a flickering light panel... and later a glowing Barrage from the F-webs... by RAW it's purely a Game masters perogative weither any or all effects involving your "Invisability" racial trait is applied in moments where temporary illumination brightens the area. By said raw I could also say that dispite illuminating you with a superlaser off the deathstar, you are still invisable due to the prevailing light conditions before and after the blast though so it's something of a moot point.

So yeah with lighting it's a judgement call that I as GM made that they had enough trouble seeing you to take the penalties to hit, but still get a dodge bonus... call it mitigating factors, best case scenario you would have killed one extra Ranat, Worst case scenario would have been in the order of 8d6+36 damage + netting+ possibly dragged off and eaten. (highly unlikely but possible)

I went with the GM thing... and went with what seemed fair. If you want a game that is completely by RAW and goes with every little quirky rule, even when they don't make sense then perhaps you did not note the "mod" in the title that reminds us that this is a homebrew game, and many and sundry rules are changed and altered in quite significant fashion so as to make more sense and provide better game balance, indeed their purpose is to make things more fun via application of a DM tool I like to call common sense.

If you know an invisible bounty hunter is about 10 feet down the hallway from you, you can't dodge him becouse you cannot tell his precise location down to within a two meter square? Running away, possibly in the approved zig and zag fashion, providing a changing target face and speed doesn't affect his to hit at all unless you can see the guy.. really? I must honestly say i disagree. Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-04 at 06:46 AM. Reason: beware rules lawyers
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrus switches his lightsaber off. "Attend to his wounds.", he says to the mercenaries and walks over to Asyr. "Go ahead, ask him."

What we do with them comes down to if they are intelligent beings capable of feeling remorse or if they are primarly territorial and motivated by food. Chances are if we let them go, they will regroup with the others that fled and lay another ambush, either against us or someone else. Even if Cyrus does not like it, killing them does look like a viable option in this situation, as the chances are high they will ignore mercy and continue to kill people in the future.

The Jedi decides to wait with the decision after the Ranat have been questioned. Meanwhile, he contacts Management. "Management, this is Cyrus Novan. We got ambushed by about 40 Ranat, most of them are dead, the rest fled. One of the men is badly wounded but stable, requesting backup to get him out of here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Huge moral grey zone there, yay.

4. - Top - End - #124

Flumph

@Cyrus: the Station manager responds in a carefree manner...

"Oh Ranats.. AGAIN! Damn we've cleared them out like four times now, might be time for a fifth. I wouldn't worry about dealing with them though, they're just pests. Though to be perfectly honest according to official scientific semantics from your republic they are a full fledged sentient species, as entitled to all rights and such as any human would be. Mind you on my station that means squat. So It's entirely up to you, if you can make them see reason and stop being a bother so much the better, but honestly what you do with them is not my concern. If your precious sensibilities are bothered you can leave em tied up, or you can just let em go... We've dealt with them before, we will again.
    Sure they've been known to eat the occasional neer do well slumming on the station, but they don't kill my men and certainly not for sport (mumbled: they would definately eat them at least...) Thankfully they're not nearly as bad as some of the organized pirates we've seen in the station, though there "shouldn't" be any more of those down there anymore."

@ Everyone: The mercenary Seargent again takes out his autodoc medpack and patches up his wounded compatriot. After the treatment the merc takes up his pack again and says he's ready for combat (apparently he wasn't that badly wounded, though he's definately lost some color he looks a bit better than Frae'el health wise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    in the statistical sense that he has a higher percentage of his HP left say 17/24
    The merc Seargent asks if anyone else wants treatment while he's got it out.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-04 at 07:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well, Cyrus out.", the Jedi answers and puts away his comlink. "Just let them go afterwards.", he says to Asyr.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know that this is going to sound callous, but I think we should leave them to the tender mercies of their compatriots. Our job is to deal with the bioweapon, not general nuisance control. And I have one last item to add about Ranats: They eat babies. Yes, you heard me right, they eat babies. In fact, from what I've read in the first contact reports, they prefer babies to other sources of meat, something to do with them being more tender or something like that.

Asyr says this, looks down at the tracks again, then points the direction that the weapon took. I believe that our target went in this direction.

Times like this I almost wish that I hadn't had the lack of sense to tell my parents that I wouldn't spy for them. Heh, I of wonder how my little sis grew up... If I'm lucky, mom and dad would of learned from their mistakes with me and not try to force her into doing anything; but I'm not that lucky, she's probably a good little bothan spying on things that don't concern us all so that the spynet has another juicy bit of gossip to sell.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

"Then just leave them here, it is more or less the same. Let's go." Cyrus follows the trail.

edit: [OOC: Delay the "Let's go." if Frae'al can communicate with the Ranat.]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-11-04 at 12:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hang on. They might know something. Give me two minutes with them, please.

Spoiler
    Show
    You still have not told me if they understand me or not.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-11-04 at 09:31 AM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

9. - Top - End - #129

Flumph

@Frae'el: The two stunned ranats look dazed, and uncommunicative, if they do understand you it's hard to tell looking at their hate filled beady eyes. One of the Ranats is talking however... the one over by Amira is chattering away... though noone knows what it's saying... it is saying it in a pleading tone of voice however with it's head bowed like it's in prayer. Also noone's tied this one up for reference, he's just been prostrating himeself before Amira since the last round of the fight.

It's speach sounds something like "Nvachoo drul chazalssicit dall Bouda. Bouda null fann chazzi cal Ni. Ni Kall Bouda, Ni kneet Bouda. Bouda knell Kneet Odas! Bouda kelfen Sinoras Jiid... Ni Kall Bouda!."

It could almost be some sort of Pidgin of Basic.

(ooc this would be a great spot to try out telepathy or just see if you can figure out what it's saying, it seems much more communicative than it's more recalcatrint fellows who by the look would just as soon eat you, or the talking Ranat by the looks they give him.)
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-04 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrus tries to glean information from the talkative Ranat's mind and figure out what he says by comparing his words to Basic or dialects of it and by trying to discern the gist of it through his speech and behaviour.

Spoiler
    Show
    Telepathy (1d20)[14]
    Intelligence roll for speech analysis (1d20+2)[22]
    Wisdom/Sense Motive (basically the same for Cyrus) roll for behaviour analysis (1d20)[14]

HP: Down to 117

11. - Top - End - #131

Flumph

@Cyrus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You read the intent behind his words to basically be "please don't kill me!". He is panicked but neither being deceitful nor planning anything, he probably thinks he is speaking your language. His speech follows a very close patern to basic, it just seems a bit off enunciation wise. Some confused vowel sounds and with some strange words replacing key nouns. Now figuring out any specifics might require talking to him... and hopefully he can understand at least as much basic as you do his "language". To recap he is begging and pleading on his knees with his head bobbing down to the ground in a worshipful manner in front of Amira.

@ everybody OOC: Points if you can tell what his name is...
    a hint to understanding what he's saying,
    Spoiler
    Show
    it helps if you say it outloud, ideally in a whiny begging tone.
    Skill and ability checks may net you hints but don't solve the puzzle...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asyr points at himself, and says My name is Asyr. then points at the Ranat, Are you called Bouda? Don't worry, we're not going to eat you.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: wait, does what the Ranat say sound anything like bothese?
    Last edited by Narthlotep; 2008-11-04 at 05:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DMfromTheAbyss View Post
    It's speach sounds something like "Nvachoo drul chazalssicit dall Bouda. Bouda null fann chazzi cal Ni. Ni Kall Bouda, Ni kneet Bouda. Bouda knell Kneet Odas! Bouda kelfen Sinoras Jiid... Ni Kall Bouda!."
    His name is Bouda. "Ni kall Bouda" = Don't kill Bouda. "Bouda kelfen Siinoras Jiid" Kelfen is most likely = help, Jiid I guess is Jedi, Sinoras could be Sith, so I guess he's offering to help us, or at least me. The rest I am not sure about yet, but since it's following the Ni Kall Bouda line, I would assume Ni kneet Bouda could mean don't hurt Bouda. Still gotta think a bit more about this to figure out more.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to the frequency of repitition, I am going to assume its name is 'Bouda'. This would make 'Ni Kall Bouda' into 'No Kill Bouda'. Still working on the rest.

Watch them, Frae'al says to the Mercs, meanign the two tied-up Ranats, and goes to towards the more talkative specimen. After lsitening for a moment, she tests a theory. Bouda... your name is Bouda?

EDIT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, beaten twice to the punch. If we go by Kneet=hurt, then 'Bouda knell Kneet Odas!' could mean he heals injured... something. Odas=Merc? Sinoras Jiid=Sith or Jedi? SOunds like the second half he offerign to make restitution. It is the first two sentences we need to crack.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2008-11-04 at 05:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Flumph

OOC: I would contunue the conversational puzzle but It seems someone killed it before it got another initiative (Points for getting info to Cyrus, Getting the name to Asyr and Frae'el, and killing the puzzle in a mighty blow to Amira.)

So you begin having a conversation with the Ranat named "Bouda". He seems more than a bit nervous that your going to kill or "eat" him. His brand of Basic is terrible but after some head scratching and conferring you think you can understand him. He tells you right off

"Bouda kinn Jiid odas nas way. Deek Nam ni Kall odas senoras Jiid, Deek Nam kneet odas Senoras Jiid, Bouda Diim ov Senoras Jiid, Deek Deek bed Diim... Bouda Kelfen kall Deek Nam? Bouda kham ne kneet Bouda, Bouda Kham Asyr ani odas noe?

He gestures as he speaks, at least now understanding that your having trouble understanding him. He makes directional motions for the first part (toward where the trail heads) and seems scared for the middle, he looks up oddly hopeful giving you the Ranat equivilent of puppy dog eyes at the end. He also sensing your confusion tries to help out with your vocab: Kneet=mouth chomping chewy noise (kn- eet=eat) Some of the weird pronunciation is doubtless due to the overbite the size of mack truck and oversized teeth.

He seems willing and eager to answer your questions. The other ranats seem to be struggling in their nets, possibly angered that Bouda is talking to you.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-04 at 06:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So the Jedi went that way? And this 'Deek Nam' ate her? And you want to help us kill it?

17. - Top - End - #137

NinjaGirl

Amira turns off her lightsaber to calm the ranat down.

"So, Bouda, you want to help us deal with the monster? Well I guess we could allow that."

She then moves a few steps in the direction Bouda is gesturing to, to show her intention to follow him.
    Last edited by Miata; 2008-11-04 at 07:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asyr reaches into his bag, and pulls out a ration pack. Bouda, are you hungry? This is food. Asyr says, opening up and handing the ration package to Bouda. Just be sure not to eat the wrapping, it's not very tasty. And Vrax, I think he's trying to say that this 'Deek Nam' didn't kill the other Jedi, but do something similar to chewing or eating... oh, I think I just lost his train of thought right in the gutter. Wait, there was another Jedi on this station? If Bouda here is willing to help out, I say that another blaster isn't a bad thing. Asyr then looks around for one of the blaster pistols the other ranats had, then gives it to Bouda, unless someone else asks him not to.
    Last edited by Narthlotep; 2008-11-04 at 07:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Flumph

Bouda eats the rations, package and all without hesitation, boy he packs it down like it's going out of style. He takes the blaster like he has an idea of how to use it (at least he's holding it correctly and not pointing it at anyone at the moment.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    the blaster by the way seems a bunch of thrown togeather parts. very bulky for what amounts to a blaster pistol. Though it does seem functional enough

Bouda seems eager to show you the way and get away from the other Ranats. You note he keeps his blaster somewhat pointed their way as if nervous about them. He follows the tracks aways then shows you where there is a semi hidden stairway blocked with wreckage. Frae'el and Bouda have no problem getting through the wreckage but those of you larger will have some difficulties following
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC 15 climb check, anyone having trouble may get assisted by those who make the check by more than 5, For reference the Mercs make it with some difficulty, but are having enough trouble with the F-webs that they can't help others.
    You can attempt the climb or go another way, though Bouda seems to think this is the best way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, it looks like theres quite a few hidden passages in here. If anyone wants help I'd be more than happy to assist.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take 10 on the climb check for a total of 26. Depending on the difficulty, I can portage the F-webs if the mercs want me to, along with assisting whoever wants or needs it.
    Last edited by Narthlotep; 2008-11-05 at 03:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrus strengthens his muscles with the Force and gestures to Asyr to help him through.

Spoiler
    Show
    Enhance Ability (1d20+15)[35]
    Climb (+2 from being assisted) (1d20+1)[3]

+10 to strength, add +5 to the Climb check (not that it matters with a frickin' 2...). I'll try the Climb check again and take 10 for a result of 16. HP 114
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-11-05 at 05:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

NinjaGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+4)[6]

23. - Top - End - #143

Flumph

wink Re: Eclipse Station Star Wars d20mod

So Asyr helps the mercs up As Frae'el follows Bouda to the top. Frae'el finds the much smaller passageway at the top reminds him of some sort of maintanace passage. Maybe 8 feet accross. It has a number of closed doors to either side and the passageway ends in more stairs. The mercs make it over the debris that the smaller characters had no problem sqeezing through, except with a few grunts and complaints. Cyrus and Amira bring up the rear. The debris shifts as they are climbing over, both loose their footing and find themeselves tumbling back to near the bottom. As luck would have it of course Amira finds herself landing directly on Cyrus in a pile.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Amira and Cyrus both take 100 points of embarasement damage but manage to remain physically unhurt from the slide off the debris
    Looking up they both see a large piece of metal framework tumbling for them and as they prepare to be hit, hear a Grunt of effort from Asyr as he magnets onto the debris and stops it from tipping down onto the prone pile of force sensitives.

Aside from red faces and a sore arm for Asyr, no real harm done. The pile, reduced in height somewhat should be easier to climb at least
    Spoiler
    Show
    now taking 10's allows you to pass with no roll required... still embarrasing and could have been worse but for Asyr's quick save.

Once things have gotten sorted out the party continues to follow Bouda up the passage, up another long flight of non-debris strewn stairs and finds itself in another 8 foot wide, 60 foot long hallway, the other end of which has a very modern looking security door, complete with retinal scanner. Bouda points, refuses to go further and whispers "Deek NaM..."
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-05 at 05:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ret scanner, eh? Frae'al asks with mild amusement. Drawing her blasters, she says Cover me, before stealing off down the hallway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Hide/MS checks down the hall, 31/30. Assuming nothing tries to eat me before I get to the door, Use my security kit and take 10 trying to get the door open-30.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok Bouda, if you don't want to come, then please watch for anyone trying to sneak up on us from the way we came. Also, sargent, you might want to get a f-web set up, just in case there's another ambush waiting for us. Asyr pads down the hallway to cover Vrax after saying his piece, drawing his sidearm, just in case.

Well, at least this way we've cut down significantly on the amount of time we would of had to spend following the crystalline trail. I just hope that there isn't an ambush waiting for us on the other side of this door.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'm taking 10's on hide and move silently for 25's in both, and taking up position at the opposite doorpost of Vrax. Also, the sidearm is my heavy blaster pistol.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrus positions himself next to the F-Web while being slightly nearer to the door, lightsaber drawn but not ignited yet, to intercept anything that may come charging down the hallway.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2008-11-06 at 06:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Flumph

Frae'el has some trouble with the security door, but a few minutes of work, after opening up the relevant panels she does manage to bypass the security system entirely. It should open now... to the first person who steps up to it reguardless of weither they even have eyes. After that it will likely stay open indefinately as it's closing routine has been disabled as part of the emergency open bypass used.

Now as to who wants to step in front of the door...?
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-06 at 11:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"I will go first."

Cyrus ignites his lightsaber and approaches the door in a defensive stance. He reaches out in the force and tries to feel if the owner of the lightwhip or something relating to the weapon can be felt in the room behind the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna be tense, son! *grabs popcorn*

See Force (1d20)[16]

Full defense (if I can do that without losing my first turn in case something does happen as soon as the door opens)

29. - Top - End - #149

Flumph

@Cyrus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You sense a miasma of darkside energies, and several darkside "beings" (3) on the other side of the door, The lightsaber-whip is almost burning to the touch from the agonizing twisted pain coming off it when you focus on it.
    Assuming a defensive stance you feel at least moderately ready as the door opens.
    (yes going full defence will give you extra AC until your next turn, so if the badguys beat you on Initiative yes it's a smart move, otherwise won't matter much.)

@everyone: The door slides open and you are confronted with... an apparently empty metal grated catwalk, There is clearly several lower levels to the room as evidenced by the corroded ladders you can see. Strange smells and notably reddish vapors swirl inside. You get a horrible sense that someone is watching you, the tension in the air is thick enough to sense without need of the force. The hum of Cyrus's lightsaber is the only sound.
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-11-06 at 11:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The scrape of metal on syntheleather almost sacriligously intrudes on the scene as Frae'al draws her blasters. Switching her visor over to the IR spectrum to cut through the haze, she waits for Cyrus to lead, and cautiously follows.