New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 128 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 116

Quote Originally Posted by WirePaladin View Post
    Wont the return of the tool bring moral back to Ansom's troops? Give them their goal again? The uncroaked are going to affect them sure...but the tool coming back seems like a mixed blessing...doubled edged...

All eggs in one basket?...sure a barbed wire basket but stills a basket
    Nooo, the Tool isn't just going to reappear. That would be lame.

He needs to swoop out of the clouds at the last moment with an illusion of all 30 dwagons returning and either chase the Archons out of the hex, or swoop down to finish off Ansom.

Then he'll turn his less then happy gaze on Wanda for her treachery...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder if Parson feels robbed by the sight of all those Hamstard tee-shirts that have never been bought from his CafePress shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nargrakhan View Post
    On a side note: Given that Winbar and Jullian failed to achieve their goals, it makes Ansom look totally unfit to lead.
    I don't know about that... The Webinar thing does indeed make Ansom look extremely shortsighted (since his "Jetstone only" decision was probably the difference between winning and losing in the tunnels) but I think his trust in Jillian was extremely well placed in this instance. No, she did NOT accomplish her primary objective, but by any stretch of the imagination the battle at Faq went heavily in favor of the coalition, with 80% of Stanley's elite forces destroyed.

The big winner in all of this is Jillian--she's simultaneously proved her loyalty, confirmed her status as a royal, and made a big down payment on the ass kicking she owes Stanley.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Some random thoughts by a lurker...

Drawn into the light by said nice avatar.

One random thought... we saw jetstone units on wall but no marbit... maybe the uncroaked marbits are being used underground?

that it for now no dout something else will occur....

5. - Top - End - #155

There could be Marbits on the wall; the figures are kind of small and it's hard to tell.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Then he'll turn his less then happy gaze on Wanda for her treachery...
    When exactly did Wanda betray him? Did I miss an update?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

See, this is why I like strategy. Because it is the art of using the manipulation of disparate elements, the immediate exploitation of opportunities, and a healthy dose of luck to completely, utterly, irredeemably F**K with an opponent. Beyond all rational comprehension.

...Never claimed to very good at it myself, though (in military, business, and political flavors) it is a skill I plan to learn. Or at least become significantly more effective at, I don't claim to be utterly unaccomplished.

The coalition's gotta be falling apart now. Ansom's been consistently outmaneuvered, and the archons still have made no (visible) move to
    establish their allegiance one way or another. Besides which...

...that's a LOT of Archons. Maybe the coalition forces don't have a mathamancer, but they're not dumb. That amount of firepower is obviously enough to, at the very least, tear gigantic holes in the city's defenses. But...

...They're NOT attacking. And Charlie's not allied with anyone, anymore...

Which means, unequivocally, Charlie's not really on the side of the coalition, even if he claims to be. Anyone could see that from what evidence there is.

In addition, while he told Ansom he'd "Assist if Necessary," Ansom's the guy who lost enough troops to cover the walls. Ansom's the one who told them he knew what Charlie was going to do, back when they were preparing the ambush for Stanley. Ansom's credibility is in the toilet, and only going down.

Now, the coalition might not just shatter. They all hate stanley and not each other, when you get down to it. But When your high leadership is arguing about everything and suspicious of each other, you're ten times weaker.

A military can, with it's sergeants/low-level officers, be a threat. It can be quite disciplined, since those selfsame sergeants/etc. are the people wose responsibility it is to make sure everyone's standing their ground, firing in volley, etc.

But what an army CAN'T be when it's leadership is fractured is tactically or strategically effective. The tactics of an army without coordinated generals are very bad. Individual skill and self-discipline can be high. They might still march in formation, well enough. But they'll lose against a strategically and tactically talented opponent, barring absurd number or technological superiority.

Coalition's either going to retreat or be smashed. Their two options, at this point; if they stay and fight as a fractured, nervous army, they'll break. And no matter their numbers: if they break, they'll die.

I do believe Caesar would be proud.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten off wolves." -Niccolo Machiavelli

"We have no dreams at all or interesting ones. We should learn to be awake the same way — not at all or in an interesting manner."-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There's a lot of things you could use to kill a guy with. You could probably beat a guy to death with the Sunday New York Times!"-George Carlin

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

Trioxin...i have no idea what that is.

I think trioxan is some sort of precourser to formaldehyde...but what she said is spelled differently.

9. - Top - End - #159

Here you go, Trioxin.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carne View Post
    "Mana" seems to be the least complicated explanation... at least for now, until the authors decide to elaborate in some fashion in the future. Which tends to balance the power of casters vs. other unit types, since it appears physical fatigue doesn't have the same kinds of limitations during physical battles that we've seen (fatigue is possibly rolled into hitpoints).
    I vote for calling it Stamina until told otherwise. Makes more sense than mana in this case, and it could apply to a wider range of units.

And if the Tool was smart, he'd sneak into GK as quietly as possible. As bad as Ansom might look now, imagine how he'll look when the rest of the Coalition finds out that Stanley's inside GK after all! Heaven forbid Jillian has no way of telling Ansom what happened anytime soon, or he would look like an even bigger fool. What could be worse is if nobody realizes the Tool is in there giving his bonuses to all those uncroaked.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carne View Post
    (b) it takes spellcasting energy (from a finite "mana" supply, which hasn't been mentioned in the story yet);
    Sizemore referred to 'juice' for healing and Maggie appears to only be able to cast a finite number of thinkagrams per turn.

It could be that move is used up, but I think the mana option is more likely.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Here you go, Trioxin.
    Wow, and it even mentions Erfworld already.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strengfellow View Post
    A most excelent distraction from my latin studies.

I'm thinking that Stan is going to be a mite peeved at Wanda on his return. Being the rash and quick to unleash his ire type of guy this could be bad for her, Parson and GK, thus bringing Parson in on her side as her defender touting her force multipliying talents.

As for the deal with Charlie..... I can't see that going down at all well.

OOOOOO thought, can Stanley force Parson to break the deal?

Back to latin declensions, JOY.
    Uncroakus -a
    Uncroaki -ae
    Uncroako -ae
    Uncroakum -am
    Uncroako -a'
    Uncroaki -ae
    Uncroakorum -arum
    Uncroakis -is
    Uncroakos -as
    Uncroakis -is

And to give orders to one: Uncroake!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomnondescri View Post
    Has it been established that the sun rises in the East in Erfworld?
    I think that's the definition of east.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

So, y'know what I'm thinking?

Stanley is going to flip right the boop out when he sees that Gobwin Knob is covered in Archons.

I wonder if Parson will know that Stanley is coming to dinner before he starts calling down the lightning. I predict not
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How come Wanda hasn't changed her outfit yet, it's been a whole day already. Come on Wanda you're slipping.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

Parson and Maggie, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Huh.. I wonder how soon Parson will use his Combat. That sword oughtta be pretty cool, aside from its psych effects on wielder. Leadership also - not useful unless he's in a fighting stack, correct?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bdares View Post
    Huh.. I wonder how soon Parson will use his Combat. That sword oughtta be pretty cool, aside from its psych effects on wielder. Leadership also - not useful unless he's in a fighting stack, correct?
    On the contrary.

As Chief Warlord, every unit in the city gets his Leadership Bonus.

Apparently, if the Chief Warlord is also personally leading a unit, the bonus is larger. Note: it's not really clear whether that page is merely detailing how Chief Warlords work outside of the Capital, or if those are additional mechanics for when the Chief Warlord is in combat.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #170

If I thought that Parson could die (plotmancy), I would definitely not want him taking any place in combat. But he doesn't know that he's the apparent protagonist and he's not stupid, so he will stay away from the front lines.

If it actually comes to hand-to-hand combat for Parson, it means that his plan fell completely apart.

21. - Top - End - #171

Ey, isn't that MOST of the dragons there? Does that mean every dragon death post-compos was a fake? Kind of dampens that whole "dragons die to easily' thread.

Also, teh exchange in the last panle was solid platinum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    Ey, isn't that MOST of the dragons there? Does that mean every dragon death post-compos was a fake? Kind of dampens that whole "dragons die to easily' thread.

Also, teh exchange in the last panle was solid platinum.
    Dude, there's like six dwagons there versus around 30 from before. Unless the camera pans out to reveal more anytime soon, they lost a lot of them.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    So, y'know what I'm thinking?

Stanley is going to flip right the boop out when he sees that Gobwin Knob is covered in Archons.

I wonder if Parson will know that Stanley is coming to dinner before he starts calling down the lightning. I predict not
    Ye of little faith, you gotta remember that Stanley was a very competent warlord. No way he'd walk into a fight with that many archons. I mean, the fight with the Transylvitian warlords was at least a fair one, the number of Archons Charlie has over GK would destroy all of Stanley's forces. He'll walk in veiled under the radar. Once Parson reports what he's done, Stanley will be impressed (much like he was after he learned the seige was gone) and let Parson continue with his planning.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdemon_lord View Post
    Ye of little faith, you gotta remember that Stanley was a very competent warlord. No way he'd walk into a fight with that many archons. I mean, the fight with the Transylvitian warlords was at least a fair one, the number of Archons Charlie has over GK would destroy all of Stanley's forces. He'll walk in veiled under the radar. Once Parson reports what he's done, Stanley will be impressed (much like he was after he learned the seige was gone) and let Parson continue with his planning.
    Because Tact and Cool Reasoning are the hallmarks of Stanley's rule (?)

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

25. - Top - End - #175
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftrain View Post
    One random thought... we saw jetstone units on wall but no marbit... maybe the uncroaked marbits are being used underground?

that it for now no dout something else will occur....
    Perhaps Marbits are un-uncroakable? I don't believe we've seen any non human undead.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Bugbear in the Playground

Two more points on the "Deus Ex Machina" / "Overpowered caster" complaint:

1) This is not the first indication we've had that Stanley's side relies heavily on uncroaked troops. If you check the roster here you'll see that GK had nearly as many Uncroaked Infantry as Gobwin Fighters. Where did you suppose thety came from? And [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0022.html]here/url] we see Ansom remark on the effectiveness of the Arkenpliers against uncroaked, indicating he has fought and destroyed them in significant numbers before. So it should come as no surprise that Wanda, if needed, can produce them in significant numbers.

However:

2) A thousand undead infantry "of the weakest kind" who will last at most a few turns are all but worthless if not entirely a waste of effort unless they can be thrown into immediate battle. But we already know that armies must travel from one battle site to another, taking several turns to do so even between the closest of cities. "Because of the low move of our siege engines and other unts, our caravan will take as many as five more turns to reach the city." Mass numbers of uncroaked from the last batle are unlikely to reach the next, while a selected few given enought time and attention may be much more worthwhile.

There is therefore nothing "unexpected" about Wanda's not have been shown to use this ability, as it has in fact been foreshadowed though not employed in the current comic since there has, until now, been neither opportunity nor valid reason to do so.

Good. Writing.

27. - Top - End - #177

BTW, am I the only one who thinks deploying his new uncroaked to the walls now is a bad move on Parson's part? Bear with me here. There are three things that can be done here:

1) It's still GK's turn, so they could be used immediately against the surrounding seige units. From what we've been told, those are still not all in position, else Ansom would have attacked the walls on his last turn. The tunnels were collapsed, blocking that entry and another hit on the siege like they took from the Dwagons and the RCC may not have enough to breach the wall. Parson specifically mention "siege raids" as a possibility.

The biggest problem with that that I can see is that Parson has no idea when Stanley will End Turn, and may worry that his actions will not be complete when he does, leaving himself more vulnerable to counter-strike.

2) Immediately reinforce the walls, now the logical target of Ansom's next turn. Perhaps he is thinking that seeing them there will enrage Ansom into carelessness, but I doubt it. The attack is expected in any case, but Ansom is no fool. If he sees a short term buildup, he should know to wait out it's decay. Or is this actually Parson's reason?

3) And this is what I don't get not being done: Hold the new reserves out of sight, in order to lure Ansom into making his planned breaching attack on the walls, then flank him with far more forces then he expects. Risky, and likely to lose many uncroaked, but hey they're expendable and replaceable. Ansom's troops are not. This is after all essentially the very plan used to lure Webby's troops to their doom in the tunnels to begin with.

Biggest problem here would be if Ansom gets a real-time update on enemy troop count and composition, in which case he should be expecting such a move. But we've seen no firm indication that that's the case. Parson received his RCC composition roster as part of the spell-backed Stupid Meal, but does Ansom have a similar source of intel?

28. - Top - End - #178

That last line of Stanley's had the feel of foreshadowing to it.

Also, has there been much evidence of coalition breakup to support all the speculation about it? Charlie is a merc, not a coalition member, he doesn't count.

29. - Top - End - #179

The foreshadowing I see is that
    Spoiler
    Show
    at the start of the next turn Ansom will be tempted to personally lead attack on the uncroaked on the walls and use his Arkenpliers. This is a trap set for Ansom by Parson. It is the reason Parson tells Charlie in page 105 he's gonna have the Arkenpliers after the battle. This would be the third trap Parson has laid for Ansom, the first two being the Jillian's "escape" and the "donut of doom". Ansom was saved from the first by Vinnie and from the second by Jillian but now both are, conveniently, 1 turn away. If Ansom is captured this is also foreshadowed when Stanley said that Ansom was bringing the pliers to him. If Ansom is captured then it sets up a delicious interrogation scenario with Ansom and Wanda where Ansom may learn some unpleasant "truths" about Jillian. If Ansom is captured then certainly Vinnie and Jillian will try to rescue him. But if Ansom is captured it does not mean that the Royal Crown Coalition will fizzle or that the Battle of Gobwin Knob will stop.
    Just my humble opinion. Third time is the charm.
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2008-10-30 at 01:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eraniverse View Post
    Perhaps Marbits are un-uncroakable? I don't believe we've seen any non human undead.
    What about the unipegataur and the rest of Wanda's air force?
    Oh it is the eyeball one.