New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: [EVERYONE WELCOME] You are the Character: Survive! Part 3

I continue to examine the room, working towards the north doors. I walk around the bus and look for openings.
    Zorander, or ZZ to my friends

A grain of sand is overlooked until it gets in your eye

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Asbestos has joined the party.
    Save for lung damage...

Alright, me and my singular demon roach carefully explore the third floor, broomstick at the ready. I don't go about breaking glass because that's crazy.

I carefully check out the bus (leatherman in hand rather than broom in this close quarter environment) for signs of life.

If I find none, I head over to areas 1 and 2.

Hopefully once I get down to the 2nd floor I can get something useful out of the Native American exhibit (btw, que es Duplex exhibit?)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Saweetness....mirror shard.

Well if there is no response form the bus I will move around the edge of the room towards the bus. If I managed to reach it without incident I will quickly scan the inside of the bus and then search all of the lower cabins and holding areas. Once I finish checking that area I will check the interior of the bus and hope to scrap some of the seats for supplies.
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

4. - Top - End - #34

Psh, I'm not using the glass to grind a notch in the broomstick; I'm using the file on my leatherman! Should be about the right width, too!

Regardless, I am gathering up all the wires from the radio, as they will make much better tripwires (once connected to each other) than the duct tape, which should be saved for other things.

No light switches yet, then?

Seeing that the laptop doesn't turn on but is remotely activated, I practically jump for joy. I check in the back, identify the ethernet cable, or, barring that, the USB, and begin tracing the cable to see where it goes. Hopefully this will lead me to wherever this room (and its lights) is controlled from. If it goes into a wall and I still can't find lights, I will try to guess where the wire might run--with a strong bias towards thinking that it's going South into the employee-only room by the freight elevator. If this is the case, that's where I'm going next, where I'll hopefully find all the light switches and turn them all on for all the exhibits.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

5. - Top - End - #35

It's not mentioned in the OP of this thread, but I believe we have a lighter. If it's out of light fluid, hopefully one of the cleaning materials will act as a flammable substitute. We don't have any combustibles or means of controlling the fire unless we want to sacrifice our broomstick and personally I don't

The more I think about it, the more I think the broomstick is the best conceivable weapon to have, at least, against one zombie at a time. I'm using it as a spear, but I neither want it to push through the soft rancid flesh of a zombie (bringing it closer and still not dead), or get stuck to the end of my pole. I want to be able to push it away and bring it down. The only thing that would be worth replacing it is a finely crafted halberd, which I don't think any of us could make at this point. Of course, if the stick breaks that would really suck so I'd like a backup (or maybe a steel pole).

So am I correct in inferring that none of the electronics are working (except the laptop, which can be operated remotely)? Does the TV plug in to a modern outlet or is it that old? If so, there is probably a mean SOB capacitor in there that eventually I might be able to make into a taser or firestarter (in the meantime, I have better things to do and don't want to risk killing myself). I have no use for the glass yet, so I'll let it be for now. Oh, I try to follow the labtop cord as well so long as it doesn't take me into darkness that I can't see beyond twice the length of my broomstick.

Curators probably drained all the useful fluids out of the bus, but it might be worth a try. I don't have anything that can take off bars or panels, but that would be really useful for fortifications (as is, the bus is probably a lousy fortification). What would I need? A blow-torch? A sledge-hammer/axe? A heck of a lot of time? There's probably a med kit, and maybe a flashlight in the bus, but I can't risk going in there if I can see a thing, I'll have to wait till I get combustibles and a better torch. Actually what I really need is to get an office lamp and an extension cord, since there are offices on this floor, I'm not kicking myself too much yet.

I guess I'm waiting on where the laptop goes, whether any of the other electronics work, and whether or not there is cloth or string, but aside from that I'm probably ready to go to the next exhibit for now.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    It's not mentioned in the OP of this thread, but I believe we have a lighter. If it's out of light fluid, hopefully one of the cleaning materials will act as a flammable substitute. We don't have any combustibles or means of controlling the fire unless we want to sacrifice our broomstick and personally I don't.

*other stuff Re: light*
    I actually made a torch back in area 2, which AP said did work, but it uses all the lighter fluid. I'm intending to keep it as a backup, though, in case I need to travel outside at night. But I guess my point is that we do have the means to make a torch right now, so long as AP gives me a roach for it

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lordhenry4000 View Post
    I actually made a torch back in area 2, which AP said did work, but it uses all the lighter fluid. I'm intending to keep it as a backup, though, in case I need to travel outside at night. But I guess my point is that we do have the means to make a torch right now, so long as AP gives me a roach for it
    Hmm... I'd much rather have the lighter instead of the torch over with me on Earth-418. As such, I shall pretend that I have it (especially since I'm the one that decided to scrounge my coworker's stuff for a lighter, hooray for smokers! )

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

((Sorry this is updating slow. I've been pretty busy at work.))

((Fair enough, you guys have a lighter.))

The cables in the back of the laptop - and the other two devices - extend into the wooden pedestal which holds all three of them. (By pedestal, we're really talking more of a huge wooden box - think of the displays in department store windows). You can trace them no further than that.

For those of you who fukbled on in the darkness, I assume you prop open the doors behind you to offer some light. They are designed to hold themselves open if opened all the way.

As you creep along through the exhibit, you go past huge glass display cases, tables, velvet "do not cross" ropes, and dozens of frighteming silhouettes hanging fromt he ceiling or jutting out of every imaginable corner and crevice. More than once you bump into something, stubbing a toe or bruising your ribs. What's worse, you make noise doing it.

Your job doesn't take you into the exhibits very often but you have a general idea of the layout. You follow your instincts toward the SE corner. Behind one of the displays should be a staff door...

And then you see eyes looking at you.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

One pair of eyes or multiple?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

One pair of eyes.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

If I was there I'd turn on my lighter to make more light (plus, most animals fear fire so just in case).

That would give me at least enough to see better in the room. Would the lighter let me see the eyes better (more light after all)?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

((I assumed you had the lighter lit already - these are in the shadows just beyond the pale of the firelight.))

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I state my name and ask theirs and ask if they know what has been happening - I am in a defensive posture, I wait for an answer to my question and will advance slowly if the eyes do not look blank, until I can better see their face.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Zorander: The eyes narrow with suspicion when you speak, and no response is forthcoming. You advance slowly, and as you draw closer you see the slight hint of a ghostly face.

The face looks familiar... and it's...

Spoiler
    Show

It's your own reflection on a glass display case.

Spoiler
    Show

Once you go aroun the display case you find the staff-only door tucked inconspicuously behind it. You're in the SE part of Exhibit 3.

((anyone can look at these spoilers. I just do it for effect. If you're in the same area and doing the same general thing, you can get the same information - I'll specify if a spoiler is meant for select people only.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-11-07 at 03:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

I assume the podium is locked? Is it particle board or hard-grain wood? Thin or thick? In short, can I break it open by cutting at it with the knife, kicking it, or jabbing at it with the staff? If the answer is unsure, I test it out for myself.

My character probably deemed it too risky to venture much further in the darkness, given the lack of lighting, but I did decide to check out the bus. I check under the bus (if I can't see all the way underneath, I feel around with the broomstick). If I can get a view through the window from afar (standing on the TV or podium?), I do that. Finally, I open up the door and explore what I cannot see. I peer down below the seats, and than I stand on the seats as I make my way to the back searching. I look for: a med kit, flashlights, radios, mirrors, and containers of any sort. If I can't find a working flashlight, maybe I can make a bonfire out of seat stuffing and house it in a trashcan. By the way, if I find anything useful, this day will be hereafter known as "Magic Bus Day".
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    BOO! boy do I look scary!

Do I see any light switches yet? If so, I turn them on, else I enter the staff room and explore that area.
    Last edited by Zorander; 2008-11-07 at 04:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

No light switches. Bus & staff area updates will be posted later (maybe tonight, probably Saturday).

18. - Top - End - #48

I realisitaclly have a heart rate of about 100 BPM right now and adrenaline running as I was ready to beat the (un)living crap out of something.

Continue searching bus and such.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Not finding any lights, I'm following my previous plan of going back to the staff room by the freight elevator, looking around in there under the assumption that that's where the lights are turned on/off from (and naturally, to check the ststus of the room and elevator).

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

The Bus:
    It's hard to see anything at all inside the bus. If you hold up your lighter you can see that the gas guage is on "E". You find no flashlight or any other detachable, useable goods.

The seats are old cracked leather, damaged in many places. It's funny how even after years of being out of service, the bus still smells like a bus - that unusual mix of sweat, dirt, vehicle and people.

If you decide to strip any of the seats of leather, etc., bear in min that this is a 60 year old bus, one of the last of its kind in the world; moreover, this particular bus once held civil rights leaders and student activists as they traveled across the American South doing sit-ins. It's truly a one of a kind artefact, worth hundreds of thousands if not millions to a museum and holding a special place in history. Are you sure you want to destroy it?

The Staff-Only Door:
    It's unlocked, and to the right of the door inside you find a large panel of numerous switches. In addition to that, there are piles of scrap material from building pedestals and wall sections. A little table holds empty water bottles (the reusable kind), a bowl of ketchup and mustard packets, and other things that museum employees might want to grab quickly on break. The "room" is really more of a corridor, leading due south to closed double-doors.

(Lordhenry, if you do go back to the hallway and head down by the stairs you can see these double doors from the other side. They're across the hall from the elevator.)

Breaking the pedestal: he pedestal is likely made of particle board covered by veneer. You could break through it with enough chopping from the paper cleaver, but the noise would be tremendous. Sure you wanna do it?

21. - Top - End - #51

Sorry but my life wins over bus. I won't destroy it yet but if I need to then it's nothing more than a pile of scrap. I'll continue throught the staff only area exploring each room as I come across it. Still sneaky.

EDIT: Oh and all switches get thrown to the ON position.
    Last edited by DrizztFan24; 2008-11-10 at 11:36 AM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I grab the packets and as many empty bottles as I can put in my briefcase. I examine the light switch panel, looking for lables showing which switches will liight up the room and turn those on. Otherwise, I will turn on the switches one at a time, checking to see if any lights in the exhibit room go on.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

The labels aren't very straightforward, being mere letter/number combinations, but with some trial and error you get all the lights on in the exhibit and the staff-only corridor. There are also some switches that seem to control heat/airflow, and others that have no noticeable effect.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I leave the light and unknown switches in the 'on' position and take some of the scrap material and lean it against the double doors as a kind of alarm. I use more against the other doors in the exhibit room, then I explore the room for any other items, looking for thin ropes, marbles, more wire.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    The Bus:
    It's hard to see anything at all inside the bus. If you hold up your lighter you can see that the gas guage is on "E". You find no flashlight or any other detachable, useable goods.

The seats are old cracked leather, damaged in many places. It's funny how even after years of being out of service, the bus still smells like a bus - that unusual mix of sweat, dirt, vehicle and people.

If you decide to strip any of the seats of leather, etc., bear in min that this is a 60 year old bus, one of the last of its kind in the world; moreover, this particular bus once held civil rights leaders and student activists as they traveled across the American South doing sit-ins. It's truly a one of a kind artefact, worth hundreds of thousands if not millions to a museum and holding a special place in history. Are you sure you want to destroy it?
    I make a small knife mark saying "Call *insert my phone number* for a good time" on bottom of one of the seats.

26. - Top - End - #56

I really don't know how to interpret Starbuck_II's comment, and I'm going to go on and assume it bears no contempt for historical events. I would, however, open up the seats if I needed to. After all, this history will probably dwarf all other histories, after all. No trashcans huh? How about in the exhibits.

Since I made noises earlier, I decide to break open the pedestal, holding the lighter in my left hand. I close the Exhibit 3 door so the sound doesn't travel beyond the area. Of course, if there is a zombie in here, I'm probably dead. If There is a trashcan, I will instead create a bonfire and search the rest of the area (and find what the others did).
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers

27. - Top - End - #57

I turn on all the switches I can find, thankful that I found them. Without further ado (or even checking outside), I explore the rest of this corridor (if there's really anything to explore). I don't hack apart the pedestal because I (A) don't want to dull my blade and (B) don't see how much use it would be to me; I've already got better equipment than anything I could make of it. So, with all the switches on, I head for the double doors at the end of the corridor. If they're unlocked, I crack them open enough to use my spoon-mirror to look at what's beyond them (opting for the spoon rather than the real mirror certain people have because the convex surface affords a larger view.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    I really don't know how to interpret Starbuck_II's comment, and I'm going to go on and assume it bears no contempt for historical events.
    I was joking. My inner Belkar so to speak.

I turn the lights on, of course. What does the heat switch do? Like a temperature gauge?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Breaking the pedestal:
    The action of hacking through the particle board upsets the three devices arranged atop it. The radio and laptop have a low enough centre of balance that they just slide around a little. The TV, however, slides more then you expected and tips over, falling off the ground hitting the floor with a crash. The noise damn near scares the life out of you before you see what it was.

(Before anyone asks, there are vaccuum tubes inside the TV, most of them still intact despite their fall. The screen however is shattered, allowing you to reach right in for them if you want them.)

Prying apart the cracked pedestal and being more careful of the radio & laptop, you see that there is some equipment underneath. An AV cord from the TV leads to a DVD player beneath the pedestal. The radio and laptop only have power cords, which (along with the TV and DVD power cords) run into a small groove on the floor, covered by carpet to mask it, and eventually into a wall section.

If you look in the very back of the broken TV you will find that someone modified it to accept input from the DVD signal rather than from its antenna.

If you restore power to the room, you'll see that the laptop and radio can be powered on. The laptop is locked, and the hacks you used to access staff network profiles on the office computers don't really apply here. It seems as if the ctrl, alt, and/or delete buttons have been completely disabled as well.

The eject button for the CD-rom tray on the laptop has also been disabled. Apparently the exhibit design guys know how to visitor-proof a laptop display.

Through the double doors:
    Looking out through the double-doors at the south end of the staff-only corridor, you can see the main 3F hall and the top of the stairs. Directly across from you are the south elevators and another set of staff-only double-doors.

Major edit:
    I forgot to mention - there's an airplane. Yep, a whole friggin' airplane, and I totally forgot to say anything. It's a WWI biplane, and it hangs from the ceiling of the great hall (directly over the octagonal cutaway that can be seen on 2F on the map, but much much higher up). The airplane is suspended by thin metal cables from the roof, tilted at an angle to show off more of the machine, and some 80 feet higher than the 3f floor underneath it.

Exploring Exhibit 3:
    The exhibit is much as you remember it from when you walked through 8 months ago. The exit (the door you came in through) is sort of a "what they accomplished" finale; the area near the staff doors has more about the experiences of veterans trying to adjust to life after coming home from WWII., and what the "boom time" was like for everyone. Moving counter-clockwise you go through the extensive WWII section, which includes approximately equal attention for the actual war and the civilians back at "the home front."

Beyond the WWII section is a bunch of stuff about the Great Depression, which has some of the most striking photographs and firsthand tales in the entire exhibit. Past that is the other set of doors that lead back out of the exhibit.

Throughout the place are computer kiosks. Each one has a four different screens set into a hand-built casing so that no CPU or keyboard is visible. The screens are touch-screens, and allow visitors to play video of interviews with/stories from various octogenarians who lived through the time period in question.

Of some possible interest are two artefacts in the WWII area: one, a stnadard issue American assault rifle from the war which, along with its bayonet and several (probably inert) hand grenades, is behind glass; the other, an entire armoured half-track. Enjoy!

No one jumps out at you as you explore the exhibit area.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I take several vacuum tubes, and scrounge the ethernet cabling (are they standard 6 ft length?) from all the kiosks, looking to get the wire from inside. I break the display case and take the assault rifle and hand grenades, putting most in the briefcase or my pockets. I search the halftrack for equipment (webbing, backpack, any containers). I try to unplug the power cord that runs along the floor and coil it up.