New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [EVERYONE WELCOME] You are the Character: Survive! Part 3

After making so much noise with the podium, it was probably just as dangerous to venture through the dark and turn on the lights. I check the DVD drive in the pedestal for any CDs or DVDs it might contain. I turn on the radio, seeing if I can pick up any stations (or did we already try that with a real radio?) I don't see what vacuum tubes are worth, but I don't want to touch that capacitor just yet.

I check the assault rifle for ammo, detach the bayonette and pocket it, pull the pin on one of the grenades and throw it as far as I can. I inspect the half-track for useful detachable things, similar to the run-down for the bus. I also look for thinks I can easiler detach, such as webbing, cloth, set-cushions etc.

Are there any mannequin's holding useful props? Can I assume I find a trashcan somewhere? Is it metal? I see if I can find a metal bar (on the half-track, bus, or a display) and how much progress attempting to saw into it with the cleaver gets me.

Is there any lighting that is attached to the wall via a power-cord to a socket rather than going directly into the wall? If so, I detach it and see if any of the cords near the pedestal (or connected to any other display item) can act as extension cords.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

I check the assault rifle for ammo, detach the bayonette and pocket it, pull the pin on one of the grenades and throw it as far as I can. I inspect the half-track for useful detachable things, similar to the run-down for the bus. I also look for thinks I can easiler detach, such as webbing, cloth, set-cushions etc.
    Your throwing genades? Isn't that dangerous in case some aren't inert/fake?

You could blow the building up!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

When searching the halftrack you not only find it is completely empty, you also see that the engine has been removed!

There is a trashcan in the staff-only corridor, bingo. It is made of plastic and is lined with a plastic bag, IUt's a small, wastebasket-sized can (knee height). There are also two recycling cans, which are taller (waist height) and made of plastic as well

There is a DVD in the DVD player. It's a homemade DVD with the title of the exhibit written on it in marker.

The radio does not play and can't even be turned on.

There are no lamps or plug-in lights in the exhibit, only the built-in lighting.

There's lots of other interesting stuff around, and sure, there's a metal bar on the half-track. Sawing it with the (toothless) paper cleaver, however, will only destroy the cleaver.

For those of you who grab the rifle, I did say it was behind glass so I have to assume you break the glass. Wailing on it with the cleaver should do. As soon as the cleaver impact the glass, however, you set off an alarum. Small emergency lights come on. In addition to a slide-whistle-esque alarum noise, the following audio plays:

"This is an evacuation. Please proceed to the nearest exit or staircase. The elevators are not in service. This is an evacuation..." and so on and so on.

There are no bullets in the rifle's chamber or magazine. A single bullet is displayed on the wall beside it, so you can grab that. You also notice a tiny tag ont he rifle, obn the side that faced the wall so no visitors could see it, with its item number in the archives. Its bayonet is already detached, also on the wall beside it.

When you throw a grenade (is there some sort of roach penalty I can impose on you??) you die. Okay not really, it doesn't explode, it just skitters along the ground and rolls underneath some display case. Guess that one was inert.

If anyone leaves the exhibit, you will see/hear the the alarum and emergency lights are also going off throughout the entire rest of the building, as far as you can see.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #64

lol. I figured grenades were meant to be thrown far enough that it wouldn't hurt me, since it turned out to be inert that was worth knowing. I don't have a roach yet, but feel free to deduct any that I might get if you thought that was extraordinarily stupid to risk it going off in my hand or causing an unintended catastrophe. I leave the other grenades behind. I load the bullet into the assault rifle and take it with me. It probably won't work either, but if I am in the situation where I need to use it, It'll be worth a try. The alarms will probably get annoying quick, but it's probably worth it (I may have to break more yet).

If you're saying that you think I can trade the cleaver for the metal bar, than I do that. If you're saying that I will lose the cleaver if I try any more and it's dubious whether or not I will get it, than I don't. If you're saying that I've already ruined my cleaver testing it out, so be it.

If the DVD is a DVD-RW than I will put it into the next office computer. There is a small chance that someone recorded something, burnt it over the exhibit DVD, and meant for the next humanoid to see it. If it is a DVD-R, however, it's not what I'm looking for and I leave it.

I don't need to create a bonfire yet, since I have the lights in this room, but I remember it for next time. If I burn it, I know there is a good chance that the fire will melt through the bottom after a short while or burnt my hands. I believe that my senses will alert me of pain long before the risk of getting burnt gets beyond cosmetic.

I leave the exhibit and go on to the next one (Exhibit 1?)
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

No I was joking about a roach penalty. I won't fault you for making decisions that don't get you killed. And if they do get you killed, that's punishment enough.

Your cleaver isn't wrecked, I figured you would look at it and realise it wouldn't hold up to that kind of abuse. So you have a working cleaver and no metal bar.

What office are you putting the DVD in? Walking back to 4F?

And you're the first to get out of Exhibit 3 so we'll move on over to Exhibit 1 as requested. Will post soon.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've missed a couple of updates it seems.... I would have checked the half-track for any vests or arms I could have gathered. With the rifle I would check the bottom of the display case for an alarm box. Lemme know if I found one. The grenades I wont even bother with, there is no way there would be live munitions in the display case. But if the bayonet is free on the wall I will totally be taking that. If it is in another display case I will have to check it for a box as well. I know about museum security and I would rather not have to throw breakers to get the thing to shut off.
    Kirby-on-the-Dragoon-avatar by Oregano, thanks bro!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude
    Sheriff of Moddingham: - .... .-. . .- -.. / .-.. --- -.-. -.- . -..
    That's brutal. No mercy from the gunslinger ITP.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Drizztfan: Yes, with some examination you can tell that breaking the glass (or probably even just pounding on it) would set off an alarum.

The rifle, bullet, bayonet and grenades are all behind the glass.

Prometheuss, what office are you putting that DVD in?

8. - Top - End - #68

Am I able to find a security box on the bottom of the case at all? I want to find a way around the security without having to reset breakers. The fewer things you mess with then the fewer things that can go wrong

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Prometheus, what office are you putting that DVD in?
    I realize there is nothing in the room with an accessible DVD drive, I'm assuming I'll encounter one eventually on the first-floor offices (or library or classroom...) Unless I see an unstoppable mob of zombies downstairs, that will probably be easier to get to than the third floor ones we passed. I'm in no hurry to get there immediately, so I'll sweep this floor with everyone else. I take it that it is a DVD-RW (or that I can't tell what type it is) and I'm carrying it with me.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2008-11-13 at 06:19 PM.
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers

10. - Top - End - #70

Hmm, I've been very confused and I think I figured out why. Ah well. I head for the south elevator, call it (check inside), and go for the Staff-only door next to it. My plan is to circumnavigate the floor in a logical, easy pattern so I don't miss anything (effectively, I'm turning right at every opportunity while staying on 3F--this should allow me to find about everything there is to find. My main goal is making sure this place is safe, for now; figuring out what's going on will happen on its own, I think. So, I head through the staff door at the south elevator (using the spoon as usual).

OOC: I'll get to the rest of the floor eventually so I'll just post the stuff I'm doing there when I get there-I'm a very logical guy, and a CS major-meaning that I will do this in the most efficient way possible, eve if it isn't efficient in OOC terms
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been almost two weeks, and I apologise. For any of you following this game, here's your update - as warned, this game slows/pauses whenever my workload picks up.

I'm going to put each of the remaining 3F rooms in a spoiler box below. Go to whichever you like. Be warned that, by opening a spoiler box, you may trigger an event - if you do, be honest and post your reaction to the event.

Not every item and detail of a room will be mentioned in its spoiler box. If you ask for more detail on something, I'll try to oblige you.

Remember, the alarums are still going off!

Exhibit 1 - Music
    Spoiler
    Show

This exhibit seems a little strange on paper, but it's well executed. Various antique instruments and the favoured instruments of several famous musicians adorn one wall; a mock recording studio with AV exhibit forms a little side-room in another wall. A central feature of the first room of the exhibit is a stage with a 60's style theme, and info on all sorts of musical groups that got their start playing the local circuits in your state.

Farther back, an alcove features racks of CDs to illustrate the inside of a modern record store; it's a rather cheesy tribute to one of the museum's sponsors, a major electronics chain.

Past that, however, is one of the coolest rooms in the whole museum: an exact reconstruction of a 1950's malt shop. Mueum guests can sit on the sparkly red vinyl-upholsetered booths and select songs from an ancient jukebox. The area is normally kept dimly lit and atmospheric and there is space for couples to dance. It's a cozy space, with a real night life feel to it.

Past that is a small room with info on music in the 1800's, with a special focus on traveling circuses. A pipe organ and some interesting pneumatic-powered self-playing instruments are installed in the displays.

From there, a door leads to the rear end of Exhibit 2, the Weather exhibit.

The exhibit is dimly lit by emergency lights triggered by the alarum.

Exhibit 2 - Weather
    Spoiler
    Show

The Weather exhibit is aimed mostly at kids. It consists of two main rooms that are only loosely divided. The rooms have meteorological information about different types of clouds and storms, all paintred on the wall in bright and easy-to-understand murals. There's a field of pinwheels, weathercocks and similar air-moved items, and guests can aim "wind guns" (actually small but high-powered fans on pivots) to send the things spinning, turning, blowing and jingling.

The other half of the exhibit is more artefact-based: ceremonial items used by Native Americans to honour weather spirits, 200 year old almanacs, earkly barometers and other meteorological information - that kind of thing.

The highlight of the exhibit is a small room set within one of the larger rooms. Guests go in and find themselves in a perfect replica of an ordinary country cellar. Every 2 minutes a sound-and-light show begins that simulates being trapped in the cellar during a twister. Radio broadcasts, lightning through the tiny window, wind noises, eery sky colour, crashing and tearing from above the ceiling, the whole works. It scares the poop out of little kids, sometimes literally. Of course it's powered off right now, and you find there are no emergency lights inside - it is almost perfectly dark.

At the back of the Weather exhibit is a door that connects with the back of Exhibit 1, the Music exhibit.

The whole area is dimly by emergency lights triggered by the alarum.

3rd floor main hallway - north end
    Spoiler
    Show
    Outside the Weather exhibit is a full-sized windmill. Not the modern supergenerator kind, the last-century farm kind. It's about 45 feet tall and connected on the bottom to a pump housing; originally it was used to power a well.

3rd floor main hallway - south end
    Spoiler
    Show

If you spend time hanging around the stairs... (by the blue X that marks your "rope")
    Spoiler
    Show

Event:
    ...you might look down over the opposite railing and get a good look at the north 2nd floor doors. A figure can be seen just outside them, very much alive and cupping his hands to his face to see inside with no glare from the glass.

Staff-only area in the SE corner
    Spoiler
    Show

[b]This is mostly an empty room, with a few carts and empty boxes against one wall. There's also a storage shelving unit made of metal, but nothing is being stored there these days.

The only thing of interest here is he cargo elevator. It isn't currently on this floor, and you know from experience that it takes a long, long time to get called to a floor.

This area, which I am dubbing 3F Storage Area, is dimly lit by emergency lights.

If you are ready to move to 2F let me know!

12. - Top - End - #72

Well I'll hit the staff area first and then go down the list.
    First order of business though is that bayonet. I want to get that thing out of the box without setting off alarms. If I manage to then I will go ahead and see if it is sharp. If it still has an edge then I will affix it to the end of my broomhandle. Lemme know if I should even bother, if so, then Ill describe the process.

Staff area-Cool for storage but uncool for empty storage...Darn regulations and such. I really was hoping for a box of ammo or something.

Music-searching but not destroying. Nothing of much use except strings, and those will be too short for much.

Weather-Awesome. Nothing of use but still cool.

Windmill-Still cool and still not too helpful. I need to make it to a police station or a pawn shop. Get myself a ranged weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

Railing-Holy Crap! Looks of the individual? Or too far? If I can't tell then I will be moving my butt down to 2F as fast as I can. I won't show that I am here until I can judge the looks of the individual and see what they are carrying. If they have a laptop case or such then it might be the gas station guy. If it a baddie then I will have to insure that they don't escape with information about a crazy museum. I don't like it when bad guys take interest in my hideouts.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

DrizztFan:

The bayonet looks sharp, but getting it out will set off alarums.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I forgot that not everyone had broken the glass and set off the alarum - if you opt not to, the otherexhibits are still pitch dark and there is no individual at the door on 2F. Let me know what you choose...

14. - Top - End - #74

In that case, I want to go back and check the fusebox/panel for given room and will switch the power to OFF. Once the power is off I will go back and break the glass. While I am at the box I will also check for a security room to switch off also, I assume I don't know where the alarm gets its power from.

Actually, I will switch off every room except the ones that I know have electrical equipment in them that I know I need. Then bust the glass and get both the gun and the bayonet. Gun will be dead weight for now but I might find a box of ammo in the basement or somesuch.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

First, I'd like to say, happy turkey day everyone.

I don't set off the alrms: I don't need to cause unneccesary noise.

I check the Weather room. Are the "wind-guns" mounted? I try to see how they are connected to see if I find the power button for lights.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

The Button Panel in the staff-only corridor behind the WWII exhibit
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a panel of light switches and power switches. It can be used to turn on, turn off, or dim all the lights in the exhibit. It can also be used to turn on/off the power to the AV exhibits. However, that's all it is - a fancy collection of light switches. The fuse box is nowhere to be seen and, for obvious reasons, there is no switch to break the alarum circuit in the hallway where $10/hour part-time staff hang out.

Drizzt fan - hope the above clarifies the situation

Starbuck - When you enter the Weather exhibit it is pitch-black because you haven't set off any alarums. However, by leaving the door open and using your lighter you can find your way around. The wind guns are mounted on rods bolted to the floor, allowing them to turn 180 degrees and angle up or down but not be removed. If unbolted they would be more portable, but who knows how long the wires are....

In the rear of the weather exhibit you find a staff-only door that is simply painted the same colour as the wall. It's locked but can easily be broken in by some good shoulder smashing, and leads to a small narrow corridor behind the Weather and Music exhibits. This corridor has a similar collection of power switches just like the other staff corridor. This corridor is much smaller, however, with no break area and nothing else of interest.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-12-01 at 03:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Drat. Well in that case I will go ahead and remove the glass from the container, but I won't smash it if I can simply lift it off. If I must smash it then so be it. But then I will proceed as mentioned above.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Well then, it's smashed. *apologetic smile*

Guns it is!

Anyone else doing anything on 3F or shall we finally move down to 2F as per Dizzt's request?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post

Starbuck - When you enter the Weather exhibit it is pitch-black because you haven't set off any alarums. However, by leaving the door open and using your lighter you can find your way around. The wind guns are mounted on rods bolted to the floor, allowing them to turn 180 degrees and angle up or down but not be removed. If unbolted they would be more portable, but who knows how long the wires are....

In the rear of the weather exhibit you find a staff-only door that is simply painted the same colour as the wall. It's locked but can easily be broken in by some good shoulder smashing, and leads to a small narrow corridor behind the Weather and Music exhibits. This corridor has a similar collection of power switches just like the other staff corridor. This corridor is much smaller, however, with no break area and nothing else of interest.
    I first try to unbolt the wind gun to see how long the wires go: It might be a good weapon/toy to play with as I walk.

Next, I'll try the shoulder smashing.
    Are any of the switches labeled? I'll try them all till I get a little power to the lights.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Since you have a Leatherman (I keep forgetting about that thing) unbolting a wind gun is easy. You find it has about 20' of extra cord, and you also realise that from the base of the axel it was on the cord runs into an easily-destroyed drywall partition around the edgeof the exhibit. With a little smashing and pulling you find where to cord plugs into a normal wall socket hidden behind the drywall. It has 40' total leength and you can now take it to any other socket and use it.

The wind gun is about as powerful as a hair drier, but the air it puts out isn't hot and it's much quieter. Still makes noticeable noise - but not like a typical hair drier.

The control panel is actually relatively easily to decipher and soon you havwe the lights on in both exhibits. You can also get the jukebox fired up now, should you choose to.

21. - Top - End - #81

Does the gun have eyelets for a strap? or is a strap on the gun? and what type of gun was it again? American leaves some open to debate. B.A.R.? M1 Garand? M1A1 Carbine? Thompson? Springfield? It is an actual assault rifle or is it just a big gun?

If there are eyelets then I am going to rig up a shoulder strap for the rifle with the wires from the gun and a bit of tape. Other than that I suggest moving down. Starbuck and I seem to be the only folks left.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an M1 Garand (.30 calibre, 8-round clip (there's an empty clip in the display), yes on the eyelets).

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I want to briefly look at the music exhibit now that lights are on.
    Assuming I see no one:

I'll take the organ if not locked up, never played before but no time like the apocolypse.

After that, I will probably go down to next floor.

If I see someone standard protocols: are they human, etc. Keep broom handy to knock them to a side before I can draw my knife.
    Or roll near a outlet and blast them with air gun. That may distract them.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

If you hadn't already, as you go downstairs you both see...
    Spoiler
    Show

...a good look at the north 2nd floor doors. A figure can be seen just outside them, very much alive and cupping his hands to his face to see inside with no glare from the glass.

Okay, it looks like you both have roughly the same plan: head downstairs and try to ID the person before acting. Drizztfan mentioned staying out of sight if possible, but that'll be hard if you leave the bottom of the stairs.

If you stay on the stairs, you are out of sight. You can also head SE toward the library area without being seen.

If you go to get a better look...
    Spoiler
    Show

The figure is not carrying anything, and is dressed in disheveled casual clothing. No sign of aggression and looks healthy.

Also on a 5 or a 6....
    (1d6)[2]
    ...nothing.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-12-03 at 10:13 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

How big is this window? If it is a wall of full length windows then I will sneak aorund the edge of the room and knock on a panel a few windows down. If this is a tiny window then I will casually step up to it while staring the person in the window in the face. I want them to know that I see them. Each time I will have my bayonet/broomhandle contraption by my side but ready for a quick retrieval. I wan't to establish that the person won't freak and jump thorugh the window at me or anything.

But before night falls we will need to get that alarm shut off.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

The person is actually standing at a door, which happens to be made of glass (with a metal frame). There are 2 such double doors in a row (so four individual doors) and a door-sized window on either side, making 6 panels total. In addition the wall above the doors is glass window. The walls to either side, however, are stone.

So I'm guessing you're going with the "tap ont he glass a few panes down" approach.

As you get closer to the door, the person squints and sees you. He puts his hands against the glass and falls down to his knees, looking exhausted.

He turns his head to follow your movement as you walk up to the window next to him. When you tap on the window, he reaches out with his closest hand and seems to almost be grasping at the air. His movements are weary, slow, and desperate.

27. - Top - End - #87

I'll make it obvious that I am checking the surrounding area for anyone/thing that I can see. I don't want do have to bump some uglies because I am helping a survivor. If I don't see anything hiding a ways off then I will go ahead and let the guy in at bayonet point.
    and...
    Begin "The Questioning!"[/ominous voice]

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

DUDE, he's probably turning into a zombie RIGHT NOW. You can't let him in.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

29. - Top - End - #89

Hence bayonet point.

Have you read the combat rules for this game? As long as it is super awesome and cinematically described you usually survive. This is a very freeform game with awesome rules. So as long as I make the ensuing combat of epic-coolness I SHOULD be ok.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

I have my tuba and broom so I can handle my self I think so I will casually walk toward the man (staying behind the glass).

I will ask,
    1) can you talk?
    2) Why are you here
    3) Are you hungry/thirsty?
    4) What the heck happened to this city? (I know some event did)

Is the glass hard to hear through it?