New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

If you don't read Rich's news posts, the late Gary Gygax's favourite charity, Christian Children's Fund has Refused $17,000 raised by GenCon in a charity auction, because some of the money came from the selling of "Always Chaotic Evil" (If I may borrow the term from TVTropes) Dungeons & Dragons merchandise.

That's got me mad, not only because of the narrow-mindedness of the charity about D&D, but that they would refuse legitimately raised funds which would help the people they promise to help, because they disagree with what was sold. I could understand if that money was drug money, or money that was robbed from a bank, but it's not. It's legally raised by people who want to help starving children.

So I thought this thread would be a good place for those of us who want to follow Rich's idea and give them a piece of our mind. We can all write our individual letters here, as well as proof read and fact check other's letters, before sending them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    To whom it may concern,

I was most distressed to learn of your refusal of $17,000 raised at a legitimate charity auction at GenCon, citing the selling of "Dungeons & Dragons" merchandise for the refusal. First of all, I believe you have demonstrated a narrow-minded attitude to role playing games. They are not gateway games to Paganism or Satanic Worship. I myself am a devout Catholic, and to me, the game is an exercise in imagination and story telling, as well as a great way to expand one's volcabulary, and encourage team work and friendship.

The second issue I have, which is really curious, is that the late Gary Gygax, co-creator of "Dungeons & Dragons", was a follower of your charity, and after he passed away in March of this year, many "Dungeons & Dragons" players chose to donate to you, and yet these were accepted without qualm.

The final issue I have, which is far more important, is that you have refused $17,000 which could have gone to the children you have promised to protect, because you disagree with what was legally sold. I could understand if the funds were raised due to illicit activity like racketeering or drug selling, but you have chosen to put your own worldview above the needs of the children, which demonstrates a level of selfishness.

I hope you reconsider this policy in terms of future donations, because a charity should be about the cause it has chosen to champion. It's important in this world to "live and let live", and when funds are offered by someone legitimately, even if you disagree with their worldview, you should not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yours sincerely,

[name]
    How does that look? I'm worried it's a little strong.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2008-10-31 at 05:12 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

Heck I'll take it.
    and that is in no way too strong btw.
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-10-31 at 05:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    *cut for length*

It reads as perfectly polite and reasonable to me.

Remember, in this situation one snail mail letter counts as twenty times more important than an email, so I suggest you find the charity's postal address and actually mail it to them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    It reads as perfectly polite and reasonable to me.

Remember, in this situation one snail mail letter counts as twenty times more important than an email, so I suggest you find the charity's postal address and actually mail it to them.
    Seconded definately... It kinda angers me that they see DnD as some kindof satanic ritual group... What kind of satanic ritual group donates to charity anyway?
    This text is yellow.
    Spoiler
    Show

TUBATAR!

Why? Because tuba is the awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Yarram View Post
    Seconded definately... It kinda angers me that they see DnD as some kindof satanic ritual group... What kind of satanic ritual group donates to charity anyway?
    Dunno. Maybe there are special secret satanic charities?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarram View Post
    DnD, apparently?
    "Eins, zwei, drei... Ugh, I do not think we brought enough body bags."
    -TF2 Medic
    1850's TF2 Medic graciously provided by kpenguin

Call Filthy Grief, Pacemaker

Feel like some Dark Coffee?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    Dunno. Maybe there are special secret satanic charities?
    Every 10 seconds, an imp dies from lack of blood of the innocents.

Every minute, an archdevil gets murdered by passing angels.

Every hour, a worshipper of Satan gets burnt alive.

With just 1 pound a month, this could be stopped.

It takes £23 to feed an imp for the rest of it's life.

It takes £284 to install the defences necessary to murder said angel.

It takes £529 to save a worshipper of Satan from the flames, and to give them a chance of a new life.

We need your donations. If you wish to donate, please call 616-666-616-666
    Last edited by Castaras; 2008-10-31 at 06:03 AM.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

Every minute, an cthulhu monstrosity disappears from lack of worshippers.
    If they require worshipers, they ain't cthuloid.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

shush. Details, details.

Edit: Changed now. Happy?
    Last edited by Castaras; 2008-10-31 at 06:04 AM.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #10

Pfft. Kinda tame for my tastes. Add some bile.
    The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast- "The GM is the author of the story and the players direct the actions of the protagonists." Widely repeated across many role-playing texts. Neither sub-clause in the sentence is possible in the presence of the other.

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

Pfft. Kinda tame for my tastes. Add some bile.
    Yeah.

Dear Filth,

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I have allready e-mailed them, will write when I get home. Speaking as a gamer and an Anglican, this is utterly vile and petty behaviour. I hope that you all out there remember than many Christians actualy try and follow the message of tollerance, peace and honest conduct that the church preaches, rather than this kind of, you know what I can't finish this scentance without upsetting the Moderators so I am just going to his send now and go scream at a bathroom mirror till I loose my voice.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Change the last bit from "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" to something like "be willing to accept this with a spirit of grace, understanding the shared concern for your cause."
    If it were in the middle of the letter it would be one thing, but I think ending on a saying like that might weaken the letter, literarily speaking.
    Also, maybe take this: "First of all, I believe you have demonstrated a narrow-minded attitude to role playing games. They are not gateway games to Paganism or Satanic Worship. "
    And say something like this: "First of all, I your words would seem to demonstrate a narrow-minded attitude to role playing games. If that was not your intent, it is nonetheless the attitude many will believe you are displaying. These games are not gateways to Paganism or Satanic Worship. They have no inherent world-view attached to them, being intended solely for tools for enjoyment and imagination." (Or something to that affect; show an effort to try to reach common understanding; it will go over much better, I daresay.)
    Overall, a very calm-sounding letter. My changes are minor, and more of a "how I would write it" than anything.
    I think that it's a very good response, especially as an attempt to actually get them to listen. Bile and anger only breed more reactionism.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I, too, have already send them an e-mail. It was not a friendly e-mail.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

If you don't read Rich's news posts, the late Gary Gygax's favourite charity, Christian Children's Fund has Refused $17,000 raised by GenCon in a charity auction, because some of the money came from the selling of "Always Chaotic Evil" (If I may borrow the term from TVTropes) Dungeons & Dragons merchandise.

That's got me mad, not only because of the narrow-mindedness of the charity about D&D, but that they would refuse legitimately raised funds which would help the people they promise to help, because they disagree with what was sold. I could understand if that money was drug money, or money that was robbed from a bank, but it's not. It's legally raised by people who want to help starving children.

So I thought this thread would be a good place for those of us who want to follow Rich's idea and give them a piece of our mind. We can all write our individual letters here, as well as proof read and fact check other's letters, before sending them on.

I think it looks just fine.

I strongly recommend AGAINST anyone adding bile to their letters. I assume that CCF believes D&D is a work "of the flesh" and showing rage, anger, upset will only serve to confirm them in that belief further.

RMS -- it may be if they are Jack Chick - type believers that they will not consider Catholics Christians either. Yeah, I know. But we can discuss that offline.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

Bile and anger only breed more reactionism.
    Embrace the dark side

To actually contribute, I think it's messed up, but it's just another example of idiots making idiotic decisions. At least another, more accomodating charity was found.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I think it looks just fine.

I strongly recommend AGAINST anyone adding bile to their letters. I assume that CCF believes D&D is a work "of the flesh" and showing rage, anger, upset will only serve to confirm them in that belief further.

RMS -- it may be if they are Jack Chick - type believers that they will not consider Catholics Christians either. Yeah, I know. But we can discuss that offline.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Hm. Point...in light of this, might I reccommend changing "Catholic" to "Christian"? No meaning is lost, and it sounds less...denominational? Again, trying to approach a common understanding, as it were. It'll work wonders.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it's quite blatant that a charity with such an ignorant and intolerant worldview is one that should never be given even an eighth of a penny. I bet they're young-and-flat-earth creationists who would burn Giordano Bruno at the stake over and over again if given the chance.

These people are clearly evil, pushing an agenda of religious oppression and obscurantism, and we should rejoice that they did not get the money because who know what they would have used it for? I'm sure there's a big chunk of indoctrination in their "educational programs" and "child sponsorships".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I sent in my two cents.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Every 10 seconds, an imp dies from lack of blood of the innocents.

Every minute, an archdevil gets murdered by passing angels.

Every hour, a worshipper of Satan gets burnt alive.

With just 1 pound a month, this could be stopped.

It takes £23 to feed an imp for the rest of it's life.

It takes £284 to install the defences necessary to murder said angel.

It takes £529 to save a worshipper of Satan from the flames, and to give them a chance of a new life.

We need your donations. If you wish to donate, please call 616-666-616-666
    *sniffle* those... poor... IMPS!

Oh wait. I eat Imps for breakfast. E, screw 'em.

Hope the OP doesnt mind but I more or less copied your letter changing a few personal details, since I think you stated it pretty damn well.

Out of curiosity, if they still dont accept the money, has anyone considered the "Fill Felixaar's Bank Account" charity? or "Get Bor a Plasma TV"?
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Rich states in his news post GenCon proceeded to donate the money to the Fisher House Foundation.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by The e-mail I sent.
    I am e-mailing to enquire as to the exact circumstances surounding your apparent rejection of a substantial donation by GenCon2008. I have heard rumours that you turned down this donation besed on the fact that it was raised in part on the sales of Dungons and Dragons materials. Please tell me this is not so.

Over the years a lot of poorly informed and hateful people have blamed Dungeons and Dragons for a wide veriaty of societies ill and placed at its feet allegations of unholy or unwholesome practices, but I had thought that we had outgrown this era of petty sniping and rumour mongering. There is nothing less christian than to spread flase rumour or to persuce others for their lawful and harmless passtimes. Gary Gygax, that co-creator of the game, was a frequent donator to your cause during his life and, if the rumors are true, this is a slap in the face of him, his family and gamers world wide.

I have been an Anglican in the Church in Wales all of my life and am a member of several christian orginisations and am also an avid gamer. I have yet to find a single argument against gaming in general and D&D in particular that has ever been substantiated. I e-mail to ask you for yoru reasons and to hope that you have not fallen into the trap of blind hatred.
    Quote Originally Posted by The reply came:
    Dear Mr. Foweraker,

Christian Children’s Fund made the decision to decline the gift from Gen Con, LLC as the request presented to us gave the appearance that CCF (the organization) was an endorser or supporter of a gaming convention, which CCF was not. As many non-profit organizations, CCF is selective in its endorsements or support in order to maintain the integrity of its name and logo. We cannot lend our name to an event for which we have no involvement. This decision should in no way be interpreted as CCF holding an opinion on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeons and Dragons.
    So, that is their line on the matter.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Wait, people still think that D&D is satanic? Wasnt that in the 80's or something ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

24. - Top - End - #24

Goblin

I sent in my two cents.
    did they turn it down?

drumroll

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Wait, people still think that D&D is satanic? Wasnt that in the 80's or something ?
    According to them, they don't. I suspect however that they may have large, frequent donators who do.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm saddened that they would refuse, but knowing it was because of their laws of charity and accepting rather than "D&D! EVIL!" makes me feel better.

Until I saw EvilDMMK3's last post, I was in the same state of mind as him. Quite a shame, and something to be prayed about.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    So, that is their line on the matter.
    Wait...if they were supporters/endorsers of GenCon, wouldn't they be giving money to it? I would think this more appears that GenCon is supporting the CCF. They also could have accepted it as an anonymous donation, unless GenCon wanted to try and get their name out.
    Last edited by Jack Squat; 2008-10-31 at 07:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I read this thread's title and thought "Wait, who is giving Charity money and why?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

[naive]
    Wait a minute ... so if CCF rejected the funds because it would give the appearance of CCF endorsing Gencon, why wouldn't Fisher House also reject those funds for the same reason?
    [/naive]

I suspect EvilDMM has the right of it; CCF may have been put under pressure by people who donate a *lot* more money than we do.

I wonder if World Vision would refuse the money? It's mission is nearly identical to CCFs.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know at the end of the day it makes no difference to what actually happened, but to correct something:

It appears, from reading about this situation on other blogs, can't recall who exactly, it was someone in the industry who was involved with Gen Con, that they didn't directly turn the money down, they actually said before the event that they didn't want to be the beneficiary.

Same result at the end of the day; just as stupid, but a little politer.
    darrell