New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

I'm just shocked by the selfishness and hypocrisy on display here.

So the charity didn't accept your money. Big deal. You don't know their reasons, but immediately you assumed it was a knee-jerk reaction to a bunch of propoganda published decades ago.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe- just maybe- reactions like THIS were what kept them away from a D&D related company? Pages and pages of arrogant e-mails and letters from entitled gamers who donated two bucks? Right now, they're probably congratulating themselves for not getting anymore involved with a community so ready to spew so much misguided hate.

In one week, this whole event is going to be forgotten around here, and the people over at that charity will still be doing their jobs.

Get over yourselves. Reactions like this reflect negatively on the gaming community.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I would like to think they would actually listen and maybe 1) give an apology and/or 2) not pass money up for ridiculous reasons next time. How much chance is there of that? Not much. But it doesn't take me much time to write an email that will also be cathartic to me, so I don't really consider it time wasted.

When put that way, no it doesn't. However, that isn't the only thing being said, nor are some people saying it at all. For example, I'm complaining because it was done unfairly and reflects poorly on them and insults us.

It's already been stated in this thread that they DO take money from organizations they aren't involved in, so obviously there is something else at work here.

For one thing, this is the Giant's forum. He made the rules. He is the only reason the rules are here, and are, indeed, enforced- it has nothing to do with some kind of overarching greater, infallible rule set, it is his preference and we abide by it because he wants the people in this forum to.

As such, if the Giant wants to peel back the rule for a little bit for whatever reason, it is completely within his rights.

For another, it's not like it is being ignored:

That aside, next:

Ah yes. Because spending more time attempting to do something good shields you from all the times you do something wrong.
    Oh, wait, no it doesn't.
    Maybe we could do more. But that doesn't excuse them for turning down an easy opportunity to help us do that.
    The Giant is not the one making such statements, nor does he actively police these boards as far as I know. Despite that, yes it would be within his rights to ignore his own rules. It would certainly make me lose a great deal of respect for him, and make me stop posting here, buying his merchandise, etc, but he would be within his rights. Fortunately he has not done so. The mods on the other hand should be policing these boards. And these kinds of posts should not exist.

And I never said doing good shields you from doing wrong. But it cracks me up how much "holier than thou" people are getting with a charity.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Cross-posted for potential truth from the WotC boards:
    1.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "…

Have you guys considered that there may even be legal justification for removing the charity's non-profit charity status for accepting improperly offered donations?
    We all watch the news - how many charities have come under investigation for not documenting how every last dollar is spent and how they handle accepting donations?

…"
    GenCon has apparently been making charitable donations for several decades now. I trust the people that arrange these auctions know the score by now. Have any of the charities they've donated to lost their non-profit status? I don't think so. There's no legal issue beyond CCF's own policies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird face View Post
    It's selfish to get angry when you try to help do some good in the world and the agency you choose to do your aiding says, "no thanks, we don't want your help"? I don't follow.

So the charity didn't accept your money. Big deal. You don't know their reasons, but immediately you assumed it was a knee-jerk reaction to a bunch of propoganda published decades ago.
    While it's true that this appears to be an unfair assumption, it's hardly huge leap. The propaganda you mentioned was hurtful slander and libel. The name of this particular charity is suggestive of the people that spewed the propaganda. And it doesn't take much digging around to find that there are still people out there who believe the propaganda.

And, unfortunately, even the report on livegameauctions.com is worded in a way to suggest that CCF has bought into that propaganda. Since the people who wrote that page were the closest we have to a first-hand report regarding CCF's initial response to their selection as the charity for this year, we would tend to trust them.

Pages and pages of arrogant e-mails and letters from entitled gamers who donated two bucks?
    With all due respect, you should do a bit more research as to the charitable activities of the donors before insinuating that what they've done is worth no more than "two bucks."

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The Giant is not the one making such statements, nor does he actively police these boards as far as I know.
    Generally, he does not participate in active moderation. But please note that he has posted two or three times in this thread, and the red text quoted by Vael came directly from the Giant.

But it cracks me up how much "holier than thou" people are getting with a charity.
    If every charity was exactly what it claimed to be, there wouldn't be the myriad laws and organizations policing them.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2008-11-01 at 10:45 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

Right now, they're probably congratulating themselves for not getting anymore involved with a community so ready to spew so much misguided hate.
    Yeah, chances are they've already got their hands full on that front.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I thought rules were meant to be universal. Not simply enforced or ignored based on personal convenience?
    I suggest you research the law enforcement concept of discretion.

Fundamentally, it works like this: Just because a rule exists, and just
    because a rule is a good rule, does not mean that you have to enforce
    it the way a computer would. You're allowed to cut people slack.

The rules are made with human beings in mind, and as a result it isn't uncommon to allow people to blow off a little steam. It's sometimes better
    to let people rant a bit than to robotically enforce the rules, which will
    stir them up more and make them angry at YOU as well.

Here's another vocabulary word: Martinet.

A person who ignores the rules because he thinks they apply to everyone but him is a scofflaw; this is a bad thing. A martinet is the opposite; a person who religiously applies the letter of the law both to themselves and
    to others in as strict a fashion as it is possible to interpret.

These people are just as bad as scofflaws. If you drive a car, imagine someone you were forced to ride with who reported you to the police
    EVERY time you exceeded the speed limit by even ONE kilometer for even ONE second, regardless of reason or weakness. A person who has no give in them whatsoever.

People like that tend not to live very long. If they aren't killed by the people around them, they tend to die of high blood pressure, stroke, and other stress-related illnesses. Because human beings simply aren't made that way.

So it isn't that the rules are being broken; they're simply being applied by the mods with wisdom and common sense and recognition that they are policing real-life human beings, not robots. I applaud them for that.

That's why the Giant only issued a warning rather than locking a thread and sending all those affected an infraction.

He or the other mods *may* lock the thread and *may* issue infractions if it gets out of hand. The fact that they have not done so shows mercy and kindness for the people here, keeping the forum a welcoming place .. especially after the subject matter , provocative by its very nature, was published by the Giant himself. If you toss meat into a dog's cage, don't be surprised if it bites at it.

I believe the Giant has handled the matter so far quite well. I have no complaints.

Another thing ...

Some here actively are wishing people in the charity ill, or hoping to get someone fired.

Bear in mind, gentlemen and ladies, that these people have dedicated their lives to feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and going to the most
    miserable corners of the earth. I think it only fair that we , sitting comfortably at our computers, cut them a little slack.

I believe that, whatever the words of the notice, that the gamer stereotype was a factor in the decision. I do not think it wise to reinforce that stereotype by acting in an immature fashion. I would rather *shame* them by doing a better job of living up to their ideals than they do.

Sending angry letters means they post it and say 'see how they hate us-- we must be doing something right!'

But when kind, gentle, decent people rebuke them for their action, It heaps hot coals on their heads. Done right, it can make them call their entire world view into question. Nobody cares about the insults of a belligerent teenager. But if Mother Theresa calls up just to tell you how disappointed she is? Brother, that stings.

So by all means, tell them how upset you are. By all means, take your charity dollars elsewhere. But I don't think one mistake is enough reason
    to hate someone forever just because they made *one* error in judgement.
    I'm living in a glass house, so I can't throw too many rocks at 'em.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by klangley View Post
    I received this reply from CCS.

<cut for length>
    Hahaha what a gigantic lie that reply is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    So, you're wishing ill will even the people who work hard at helping children and had nothing to do with the decision? You honestly see no problems with that? It seems to me you're acting just as snobby as the organization did.
    Yes I am. And no I don't see any problems with it. Because I don't believe for a second that they're helping anything. My hatred for their organization stems from a long time ago, long before the incident that started this topic we post in now (and this incident sure didn't improve their standing). No, I will not discuss it. No, I don't care if your opinion on things is different. And yes, I will continue to wish ill will on anyone that is a part of the organization for as long as I please. I am a very hateful and vengeful person, and if that gets to you so much that you would somehow label it as "snobby," you should lighten up a bit.

... If your motivation is only to make yourself feel better...
    Not my motivation in the slightest. Not sure if that was the reason for anybody else in this topic, but, that is kind of a lame reason to send out the e-mail.
    ~ Smoke_Rulz ~

- Best character in the comic :D
    - Extremely close second.
    - Third best as of #595.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I suggest you research the law enforcement concept of discretion.

Fundamentally, it works like this: Just because a rule exists, and just
    because a rule is a good rule, does not mean that you have to enforce
    it the way a computer would. You're allowed to cut people slack.

The rules are made with human beings in mind, and as a result it isn't uncommon to allow people to blow off a little steam. It's sometimes better
    to let people rant a bit than to robotically enforce the rules, which will
    stir them up more and make them angry at YOU as well.

Here's another vocabulary word: Martinet.

A person who ignores the rules because he thinks they apply to everyone but him is a scofflaw; this is a bad thing. A martinet is the opposite; a person who religiously applies the letter of the law both to themselves and
    to others in as strict a fashion as it is possible to interpret.

These people are just as bad as scofflaws. If you drive a car, imagine someone you were forced to ride with who reported you to the police
    EVERY time you exceeded the speed limit by even ONE kilometer for even ONE second, regardless of reason or weakness. A person who has no give in them whatsoever.

People like that tend not to live very long. If they aren't killed by the people around them, they tend to die of high blood pressure, stroke, and other stress-related illnesses. Because human beings simply aren't made that way.

So it isn't that the rules are being broken; they're simply being applied by the mods with wisdom and common sense and recognition that they are policing real-life human beings, not robots. I applaud them for that.

That's why the Giant only issued a warning rather than locking a thread and sending all those affected an infraction.

He or the other mods *may* lock the thread and *may* issue infractions if it gets out of hand. The fact that they have not done so shows mercy and kindness for the people here, keeping the forum a welcoming place .. especially after the subject matter , provocative by its very nature, was published by the Giant himself. If you toss meat into a dog's cage, don't be surprised if it bites at it.

I believe the Giant has handled the matter so far quite well. I have no complaints.
    Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Yeah, well as a person who is a Christian, and not one who even shares the beliefs being railed at here, I don't feel particularly welcome here right now. If these types of comments were stated in any other thread regarding any other subject it would be locked.

On this very page I see someone called the christian community as "spewing misguided hate" Oh yes. So very appropriate. Truly, we wouldn't want to apply the rules in this situation because someone might get their feelings hurt.

I have no problem with the Giant himself, because I can see where he is asking people not to say such things, but I have lost a great, great deal of respect for both our moderators and the community of this board.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Rulz View Post
    Yes I am. And no I don't see any problems with it. Because I don't believe for a second that they're helping anything. My hatred for their organization stems from a long time ago, long before the incident that started this topic we post in now (and this incident sure didn't improve their standing). No, I will not discuss it. No, I don't care if your opinion on things is different. And yes, I will continue to wish ill will on anyone that is a part of the organization for as long as I please. I am a very hateful and vengeful person, and if that gets to you so much that you would somehow label it as "snobby," you should lighten up a bit.
    So, I assume you also held all Enron employees accountable for the scandal their bosses were involved in?
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2008-11-02 at 12:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Here is one link.

See the note at the bottom. I can only assume they did not make that up.

For those who are upset with those of us who are annoyed the money was refused, that is your right. You can say they have every right to refuse any donation for any reason and that is your prerogative. Please note, they spent nearly $25 million on fundraising for the 06/07 fiscal year. They work very hard to get donations for their cause so one would think they would accept what they get.

For those of you who say my $2 isn't worth crying about, try sponsoring a child for years only to read something that says they don't want the money possibly "tainted" by D&D. I am miffed, to put it politely.

When Gen Con contacted CCF about its auction, we were pleased to accept donations. However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements…. We were disappointed that we were not the recipients of the donation but we were pleased that another worthy organization benefited.
    I would dearly like to know how CCF was to have their name published and what it would say/suggest they were endorsing. Are they saying the endorsement was a requirement for the donation? It seems odd to say they are disappointed they didn’t receive the donation when they allegedly rejected it. IMO, it looks like someone isn’t telling the whole truth or someone is trying to spin a situation so they don’t look too bad.

Facts and Figures

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barroque View Post
    Here is one link.

See the note at the bottom. I can only assume they did not make that up.
    That's the same site as the original source, though, and the way they mentioned it makes me question it somewhat.

Actually, that makes it look pretty good. It's actually ranked slightly higher than Plan USA. It might not be a four-star charity but a three-star ("Exceeds or meets industry standards and performs as well as or better than most charities in its Cause.") is still a good rating.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

I wasn't saying they were bad - they have actually improved if you look at their history - I was citing my source.

I will be miffed if the original source of all this was incorrect is saying:

The Original charity, the Christian Children's Fund, won't accept any money that may have been tainted by Dungeons and Dragons.
    or if the donation would only be given if CCF agreed to be a sponsor. If that date at the bottom is correct, this isn't new - it’s just getting more attention.
    Last edited by Barroque; 2008-11-02 at 01:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

So, I assume you also held all Enron employees accountable for the scandal their bosses were involved in?
    Analogies that make no sense are awesome! And regardless, I knew nothing of Enron before or after that whole shindig went down. Did I not just say I have reasons for hating the CCF organization and every misguided fool who gets involved with it?

Also, I'm finished speaking with you. You can quit caring about my opinion now.
    ~ Smoke_Rulz ~

- Best character in the comic :D
    - Extremely close second.
    - Third best as of #595.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

I also don't get why people are acting like this company is depriving starving children of this money. It's not like they took the money and burnt it, they just don't personally want to be represented by it. For whatever reason, that is their right.

It's not as if the money can't just be given to another less discriminate charity. Face it. People are not outraged "for the children!" they are outraged because they got snubbed.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

I found this on the DnD Website in a forum.
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1107905

I hope this clears up some of the abuse =P.
    Dear (i removed my name), **this was the person that posted this AKA Knights_disciple

Thank you for writing to Anne Goddard and sharing your concerns. Anne was traveling when she received your email. We discussed your concern and she asked that I respond on her behalf. Please know that we take your email very seriously.

There appears to be a misunderstanding which I would like to correct. When Gen Con contacted CCF about its auction, we were pleased to accept donations. However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements. We were unaware that this had caused any problem or concern for Gen Con until we began receiving emails. This decision was in no way intended to be a reflection on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeon and Dragons. We have the utmost respect for the gaming community and were touched by the generosity expressed through your auction. We were disappointed that we were not the recipients of the donation but we were pleased that another worthy organization benefited.

We realize this has become a topic of discussion in the gaming community and we hope you will help us by sharing this response.

The needs of children are great and we welcome your support. Should you wish to learn more we invite you to visit our website at www.christianchildrensfund.org.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. Your passion for gaming and your support for children are admirable.

Sincerely,
    Cheri Dahl
    Vice President, International Communications and Fundraising

Christian Children's Fund
    2821 Emerywood Parkway
    Richmond, Virginia 23294
    (804) 756-2702

[email protected]
    www.christianchildrensfund.org"
    This text is yellow.
    Spoiler
    Show

TUBATAR!

Why? Because tuba is the awesomeness.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure this has been said before, but this response by CCF does not strike me as containing an actual answer to anything; it feels like a PR coverup. They screwed up as big time as the Paypal/SA/Katrina incident, and are deservedly taking flak for it.

This is why I don't donate to charities that have an additional ideology beyond the charity itself. An organisation that helps starving children is excellent; whereas a Christian organisation that helps starving children, no matter how well-intended, tends to eventually get into a situation where the two goals end up in conflict. And then you get such organisations refusing to hire people who aren't devout enough, or refusing to work in countries where a "use condoms" message is being spread, and it gets messy.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's not as if the money can't just be given to another less discriminate charity. Face it. People are not outraged "for the children!" they are outraged because they got snubbed.
    No, people are outraged because a charity organisation has an ulterior goal that conflicts with its stated mission.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yarram View Post
    I found this on the DnD Website in a forum.
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1107905

I hope this clears up some of the abuse =P.
    FYI, I never sent CCF anything. I copied that one from this very thread. I've been cross-posting a bit.
    In other words, that guy over there is me.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

18. - Top - End - #198
    Colossus in the Playground

My comment about "in this case" was intended to say- the only reason they are wrong to reject the money, is that they are wrong about D&D. Their worldview may be right in every other way (I wouldn't know) but if they feel D&D is inherently evil, they are in error. (this is in my personal opinion, however)

However, if they rejected it entirely for other reasons, thats a different issue entirely.

19. - Top - End - #199

And, you know what will be by far the best way of getting shamefaced apologies out of them? Forgiveness.

Big letter or petition from all the people they would normally approve of, saying- We forgive you for holding these outdated and erroneous views about our hobby, etc, etc, with numerous mentions of the children and their needs.

How does that sound?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well way back when, it was in the official rulebooks that players would "ante" a random card up at the start of the game, and the winner would keep the anted cards. That's flat-out gambling, but to make things worse, there were even cards made that did things with it. For example, Demonic Attorney forced someone to add something to the ante or concede the game (giving up their already ante'd card) or a card that PERMANENTLY switched ownership of it and another card in play unless the opponent lost half of their beginning life (which would likely make them lose the game and their original anted card). One last example I need to mention is Amulet of Quoz, which, if your opponent doesn't add something to the ante, a coin is flipped to decide who wins (and thus who keeps the anted cards)
    Hah haha. You know, that wouldn't surprise me. Although the reason spouted was more "dark magic" and "devil-worship" and other witch-burning mumbo-jumbo.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe- just maybe- reactions like THIS were what kept them away from a D&D related company? Pages and pages of arrogant e-mails and letters from entitled gamers who donated two bucks? Right now, they're probably congratulating themselves for not getting anymore involved with a community so ready to spew so much misguided hate.

In one week, this whole event is going to be forgotten around here, and the people over at that charity will still be doing their jobs.

Get over yourselves. Reactions like this reflect negatively on the gaming community.
    The main issue is not the hurt feelings of a bunch of gamers, although it would be quite a slap in the face to have contributed towards a noble cause and then to be told your money isn't good enough. I don't really care about the misguided views members of the CCF may hold about DnD either; it is rather likely that they are ignorant about a great deal more. The issue is that they refused $17,000 that was supposed to improve the lives of needy children. In doing so they have demonstrated that they would put their ideological concerns above the welfare of the people they are meant to be caring for. That is a contemptible position for a charity to take, and not surprisingly, people reject it.

21. - Top - End - #201

Its not entirely new though. Don't get angry, find some other way to help.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

i am calling anteros and birdface out on being trolls.

either that or they has not read the full thing. anteros did not realize that the giant was in on this, he was 4 posts away from my post describing exactly what I hoped to get out of the letters (and it would behoove birdface to read it, as well) and, as a person who has been posting since page... 2 or 3, i cant recall any attacks on christianity itself. maybe on them for being silly christians (replace silly with any number of negative descriptors) but the fact of the matter is, describing them as silly is true, and describing them as christian is true. i have not once felt insulted by this thread, and i know other christians posting here will agree.

chill guys, any issue that may or may not be here is being exasperated by your rash posting.
    Last edited by CabbageTheif; 2008-11-02 at 10:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

My apologies if I seem aggressive in this message, but your statements seem quite baffling to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Rulz View Post
    Analogies that make no sense are awesome! And regardless, I knew nothing of Enron before or after that whole shindig went down. Did I not just say I have reasons for hating the CCF organization and every misguided fool who gets involved with it?
    Actually, it was a perfectly fine analogy, given that you're blaming everyone in the company for a decision a few people made.

However, as you gave no information whatsoever about your reasons for hating the entire organization, I can't actually say anything in direct response to it, which is why I mentioned the Enron thing. However, it does seem strange to me that something would make you hate every single person in an organization. Granted, if it was something like the KKK, where it's a requirement you be a nut to join it, that's something. But I see no such mentality in CCF. You don't even have to be a Christian to work in it.

You've even stated earlier that "I don't believe for a second they're helping anything." Are you honestly stating that what they've been doing--helping chileren--isn't helping ANYTHING? If you think this action or whatever incident it is you're referring to works against that, fine, but it's ridiculous to claim they're not helping anything. And how does helping out children make someone a "misguided fool"?

Also, I'm finished speaking with you. You can quit caring about my opinion now.
    You know, I think the attitude you've been presenting (you even describe yourself as "a very hateful and vengeful person") is actually worse than the attitude people are ascribing to the charity.

But, hey, okay, don't talk to me about it...I'll try not to infringe on your apparently extremely important hate.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2008-11-02 at 10:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204

my argument was even if they made decision based on bad info, that doesn't make them bad people.

I'm not sure how convincing the whole "no endorsements" claim is.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-11-02 at 10:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CabbageTheif View Post
    i am calling anteros and birdface out on being trolls.

either that or they has not read the full thing. anteros did not realize that the giant was in on this, he was 4 posts away from my post describing exactly what I hoped to get out of the letters (and it would behoove birdface to read it, as well) and, as a person who has been posting since page... 2 or 3, i cant recall any attacks on christianity itself. maybe on them for being silly christians (replace silly with any number of negative descriptors) but the fact of the matter is, describing them as silly is true, and describing them as christian is true. i have not once felt insulted by this thread, and i know other christians posting here will agree.

chill guys, any issue that may or may not be here is being exasperated by your rash posting.
    Well I do remember someone posting a while back that this incident was proof that religion was bad. (or something to that effect, anyway)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

I also received the email response Yarram has posted above and I'd like to highlight this part:

However, we couldn’t lend our name for publication because our policies have specific criteria for endorsements.
    I'm actually willing to accept that there was a miscommunication and that their policy re. endorsements clashed with the way their name might have been used at GenCon. Yes, they probably sent the same response to everyone, but to their credit they didn't label all our emails as spam (which is what I thought they would do) and they have replied in a very reasonable way.

I'm fully prepared to admit I was angry at the perceived snub as opposed to being outraged about the poor children who wouldn't receive the money. I'm also happy to admit that I no longer feel snubbed.
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 2008-11-02 at 10:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald View Post
    ...Paladins aren't heralded and celebrated because they follow the rules really well.
    They're heralded and celebrated because they SAVE THE SODDING WORLD FROM DARKNESS. A lot.

27. - Top - End - #207

Any idealogy that involves sacrificing lives of others for personal beliefs deserves very close examination and suspicion.

However, this might only apply to active sacrifice- simply Not Helping might not count.

EDIT: Endorsement bit may be true- how closely has it been examined?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-11-02 at 10:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

ok, seth, i must have missed that one.

hi librarian! havent seen you in.... years? i am barely on the forums. its good to see you!

for you and hs; we all know about the endorsing thing... from my understanding, everything was in place. EVERYTHING. and it was a last minuet decision to back out. they might say some legal mumbo jumbo, but as i understand it, the legal mj only came into effect after they found out about the d&d thing.

before=they were legally fine with endorsement being whatever it was or wasnt
    after they knew= suddenly backed out, endorsement rules and regs.

and solely for HS: many religions count inaction as being as destructive as negative action. if you see a starving child you could (A) give it food (B) ignore and walk (C) kick it. good, neutral, evil. in the end of the day, neutral and evil still means the child eats nothing.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

CCF would have been the official charity of Gen Con, which is about as "endorsed" as you get...

As it was, the official charity was actually Fisher House. If you were at Indy this year, you probably saw that name a few times. I noticed it simply because my wife and I normally give to Fisher House.

Attempting to divine the intentions of CCF by relying on stereotypes is about as ridiculous as calling D&D demonic.

30. - Top - End - #210

Very good analogy. But a neutral act, while certainly not be be admired, is also difficult to condemn.

Lets try another one- you are "shopping for charities" that help the starving. you meet one, chat to it, tell them you'll come back with the money.

While away, you rethink and do some research- the charity has an idealogy you personally don't like.

You return and say "I'm sorry, I cannot support your idealogy by giving you the money I informally promised."

You go out and give the money to another Help The Starving charity you do not object to.

If the first charity were to condemn you, it wouldn't have a moral leg to stand on.

So, why not in reverse?