New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Aether Uncovered

Jadyn

Jadyn reluctantly nods, Myr is right, she does need to hunker down, hide away. She quietly says, Yes...you're right.

She accepts the cloak and pulls the hood up to hide her blue hair. Somewhere safer than this alley. Lead the way.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Willow

After a half-hour or so of thought, Willow slips out of the tree. She feels a need to apologize to Jenna, but doesn't quite have the nerve to face her at the moment. So instead of retreating to her favorite spot outside of Crevice, she wanders through the streets, still thinking about what she'd heard.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Myriam

Myriam heads towards the hideout, taking a few moments from time to time, to make sure they are not being followed. She has a lot of questions, but they can wait. She walks in silence, eyes darting around at every corner and every opening. She's more nervous than she looks.
    Avatar lawfully nicked from this xkcd strip.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    Will dance around my room
    And frolic in my bed

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Jadyn walks next to her, one step back, hood up, although she's constantly looking around. Watching for anyone tailing them, following them or others that are a bit to interested in them. She just wants to get under cover and out of sight.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

-Derrack-

"I am not looking for your reasons, I am looking for the reason you came to me rather than someone else, which is very much my business. If someone is sending people to the wrong person, then they need to be corrected."
    Marcus seems to be getting quite irritated with Derrack's slowness in picking up his meaning, and doesn't even address his question. He narrows his eyes and crosses his arms, stubbornly waiting for an answer to his question.

-Jadyn and Myriam-

The two girls slowly make their way to the hideout, and to their relief, make it there with no problems, seeing no one searching for them or anyone suspicious on the way.
    The hideout they have gone to is a simple cellar, built as a stand alone portion of a house that was demolished and never quite rebuilt. People have no use for the ruins, and much of the house foundation would be difficult to remove or build on top of, so it remains unused. However, a few canny people noticed that the cellar was quite intact, and as such, put it to use for the thieve's guild.
    After discretely entering the cellar and hiding it once more from the outside, the two find themselves in a fairly large room, a bit sparsely decorated. There are two cots, a shelf, and a small barrel.

As it turns out, one of the cots is occupied by a sleeping form, likely by a thief who needed a place to hide for a moment or two.

-Melioli-

Melioli moves just outside the room, leaning next to the frame as if she were waiting for someone, or perhaps guarding the entrance to warn people off. However, she can't manage to hear anything through the thick wooden door... so though her ruse works quite nicely, she can't really profit from it in the way she wanted to.

-Willow-

The streets are fairly busy today, with people bustling here and there. Every once in a while, Willow hears a snatch of conversation or gossip about the expedition to the Blackness that has so recently become known to her.
    However, something does catch her attention.
    A large group of people has begun moving down the streets behind her, easily seen by the way they push most others to one side (not forcefully, but just because their presence as a group is imposing, and people veer away from them). In fact, they seem to have come from the same direction that Willow had...
    As she takes a closer look at the disturbance, she notices that many of them are wearing symbols of House Vesper.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Melioli

It was worth a shot, thinks Melioli as she decides to see if she can wheedle some information from Gail at the entrance. "So, who's in the big meeting in there?" she says, jerking her thumb casually over her shoulder back toward the meeting room.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Once inside, the door shut, she slumps down on the barrel and irritably shoves back the hood and takes off the cloak. She shakes her head and runs one hand through her blue tinted hair. She lays the cloak across her knees and thinks about what will happen next. What will she do now that Craze will likely have informed his cronies at the Fist and anyone else who'd listen. She frowns and looks up at Myr, but doesn't say anything.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Willow

Willow steps out of the general path of the group, climbing a tree if one is available, if not, simply standing off to one side. She watches the group with some interest to see if there are any faces she recognizes, and to listen to anything she might overhear.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Derrack

Derrack shrugs, looking slightly tired, hoping to get the answer he wants from Marcus instead of this.

"I'unno. A woman, Gail I believe, sent me to you. Now, can you direct me to the nearest possible place to the meeting?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Myriam

Myriam breathes out in relief as soon as she shuts the door behind them. She looks at the occupied cot and decides that the man sleeping there poses no immediate danger. No need to wake him though. She turns to Jadyn and whispers.

All right. You'll be safe here. Give me a few minutes to rest, and I'll go fetch Serge.

It's not so much resting she needs, as relaxing. She got a scare today. She remembers the knife that flied past her head, and the look on her face is telling. I could have been killed over delivering a bloody message. From the many questions she has, the ones concerning the man who chased seem more urgent. She needs to know whom she has to avoid from now on.

Who was that man?

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Jadyn looks up and whispers back, her face has a pained expression, His name is Craze and he is crazy. He is a high ranking member of the Fist and thought he was going to make money by turning me in to my House. The word 'House' is said with a tone of disgust. The Lord wants me back. Craze planned to do it. But first, he wanted to act out his depraved fantasies of cutting me up and who knows what else. She looks in Myr's eyes, I do want to thank you for the help. I did want to escape from him, and I don't think I'll ever be going back as long as he's there.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

-Derrack-

"Hmm."
    Marcus gives Derrack a look over once more, judging him, then shakes his head, turning away as he walks towards the people he is training.
    "I don't know what's going on in that woman's mind."
    He thinks out loud to himself.
    "The meeting chamber isn't too far from the entrance, just straight down the first hall and directly on the right. If you want to kiss Morris's boots after the meeting is over, I'm sure he'll let you join us."
    The officer has clear contempt for his superior, and anyone who gains entrance into the group by gaining Morris's approval.

-Jadyn and Myriam-

((I don't have much to add here. As long as you both stay quiet, the guy won't wake up. He just looks like a typical thief, nothing special about him.))

-Melioli-

Gail yawns, raising the back of her hand to shield her mouth as she does so, then crosses her arms in a relaxed manner, looking over at Melioli with a blank slate of a face. Her expression is at once tense and loose, her expression effortless, and yet her eyes drawing everything into a tight, focused knot of intelligence. It's quite strange to look at.
    "Captain Morris. A few of the big wig officers who plan everything. Y'know, Morris's appointed people."
    While Gail's words seem quite vague, to anyone actually in the Order, it makes a lot of sense, and specifies quite well. There is a definite difference between Morris and the people he appoints, and the officers who gain their rank in the field, and everyone knows it. Morris is a very strange leader for the Order, more of a bureaucrat and typical noble than one of the usual Order recruits. The rumor holds that he's never actually been out into the Blackness, and only his social standing got him his position.
    His appointed officers seem to share his personality and capabilities, none of them real warriors, just political pawns and lackeys. It's something that a lot of the Order quietly takes issue with, and complains about when they don't think they'll get caught. Of course, it has been known that while out on duty, some of the commands from the higher ups just get... conveniently forgotten or distorted after they pass into the hand of the veterans who actually lead expeditions.
    "They'll probably be babbling up a storm for a while. Who cares."
    Gail has clearly placed very low importance on Morrir's maneuvering and meeting.

-Willow-

The group doesn't seem to be speaking, but Willow does recognize a number of the people in it, specifically the one that everyone else seems to be gathered around: Lady Aery. The grand daughter of Lord Proxus is frowning slightly, apparently thinking about serious matters as she and a large number of retainers- as well as a notable number of scholars from the Archives, and the captain of Vesper's guards- head off to some unknown destination.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Willow

Curious as to what may be going on, Willow follows behind at a reasonable distance.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Myriam

Myriam almost fails to grasp what kind of "house" Jadyn is referring to, and when she does, surprise mixed with awe mixed with the familiar "where did I get myself into" feeling leave her speechless.

The description of Craze makes her flinch, and to Jadyn's thanks she can only answer with a stutter.
    "N-no problem." she whispers.

"We'll have to find Serge as soon as possible then." she adds, troubled, rather thinking aloud than addressing anyone in particular.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

15. - Top - End - #75

Derrack

"I'll try that, then."

Derrack bides Marcus farewell, looking for the place he described.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-12-07 at 04:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Jadyn notes the reaction and physically withdraws from the conversation. She stands and walks away, to the limits of the room. The cloak falls forgotten on the floor. Always... She looks down at her hands and wishes she could walk through walls, walk away from it all, never deal with the Fist, the thieves guild, any of it. It gets tiring to be on the move all the time. Yet, she'd never go 'home'. That way will turn her into a prisoner and she refuses to be a slave to the Lord. She knows she'll never be safe, never. Despair beats against her inner mind, she bows her head and presses her forehead against the wall. One ear constantly listens for the two others in the room, she doesn't want them sneaking up on her.
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-12-07 at 05:12 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Myriam

Myriam just stands and stares at Jadyn's turned back for a few moments, and then she sighs quietly.

"Right. I'm off, then."

She picks up the cloak from the floor and, after some thought, folds it and leaves it on the barrel before walking out the door. She'll go straight to Serge's usual place. If she doesn't find him there, she'll try the tavern, just in case he's still there waiting. As before, she is alert and on the lookout for followers - and of course Craze - but this time she opts for speed instead of stealth. She's almost running.

(( OOC: Do we have to railroad ourselves to the expedition, somehow, so we can become a group - or at least end up in the same place? (That's what I thought at first, and expected Derrack to be recruited, Willow and Melioli to join, Jadyn to get dragged and Myriam to get caught in the fray with her. But then Craze pulled out a knife and that last bit fell apart.) Or do we act naturally, and potentially never see each other? No problem either way, just asking. ))
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-12-08 at 06:13 AM.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Once Myr is gone, Jadyn turns around and slides down the wall to sit on the floor with her back against the wall. She puts her head in her hands and thinks, not like there is anything else to do in here. She listens, in case the other person wakes up.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

19. - Top - End - #79

Melioli

"So, nothing important then," Melioli comments with a sly smile as she bids Gail a good day and wanders out to the exercise yard to see if she can find info from a field operative or two. Damn ladder-climbers running the show... if I wanted to deal with that, I would never have left House Vesper.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

-Derrack-

Getting to the meeting room involves moving around to the front again and through the doors. Gail raises an eyebrow as he passes, but otherwise says nothing to him, just letting him go to his destination. Strange that she could be so perceptive and yet send him to the wrong person... but oh well. On to the meeting room. The meeting room is easily found, but it is still shut, and he can barely hear the voices within, though he can't make out what they're saying. He might be waiting for a while...
    Maybe he could find a way to get in, or another officer who could help him take care of things. Or he could wait.

-Jadyn-

The thud of the trapdoor as Myriam leaves wakes the man, and he rolls over off the bed and to his feet in a practiced and very paranoid motion. On the other hand, he did this after one of them left rather than when they came in, so it puts an amusing light on his abilities. He blinks a bit, then looks down at Jadyn.
    They definitely don't recognize each other.
    "Hiding?"
    He sits back down, feeling less threatened by her after noting her position and lack of drawn weapons.
    The man has short brown hair, worn leather armor, and longer, semi-tight black pants. In all, he looks like a typical Crevice thief, wearing what is practical, but yet will not be commented on in the lower section of town, especially with the addition of the cloak he is picking up and slinging around his shoulders.

-Melioli-

"You'll be going, won't you?"
    Gail says, slinking along beside Melioli as she begins walking off. The woman smirks up at Meli knowingly, her wide yet half lidded eyes encompassing far more knowledge and understanding than they should.
    "They're not discussing anything important... yet. The real players in the game haven't showed..."
    Gail looks off in the distance, then nods back over at the door.
    "I was waiting for them, you know."
    She gives a sly smile, then stops, letting Melioli keep moving if she wants, though she gives her a few more words before letting her decide what she wants to do.
    "They'll be arriving soon. Would you like to hear what they have to say?"
    The captain's bodyguard watches Melioli with a face that says everything about her mood, and yet reveals nothing. She is smiling slightly somehow satisfied, but her eyes reveal curiosity and perhaps a hint of playfulness... but that playfulness is almost like a cat with a mouse. There is something about the woman that just makes her seem like she is in control, no matter what anyone does.

-Myriam-

As Myriam runs through the streets, she sees Craze looking for her. He even glances her way and squints, but somehow- very luckily- fails to recognize her. She slips away into the crowd, darting off to Serge's place, where she knows she'll be safe... at least from Craze.
    "Serge's place" happens to be a small corner in a low tavern. Usually if he isn't there, he has an informant or two who are there. If an informant isn't there, there happens to be a small loose floorboard which either no one else has noticed, or Serge has specially made clear is for his use alone. Anyways, one can manage to slip messages into it for Serge later, if need be.
    However, Serge is there at the moment, and so it seems she won't have to use that method.
    "Hey Myr, just in time. She get my message?"
    He's grinning a little.

((Yeah, Craze had a string of bad luck. Don't worry, I have a few other ways... ))

-Willow-

The group slowly makes their way towards the outskirts of Crevice, and eventually heads towards a large building in the distance which Willow vaguely recognizes- the Order's Headquarters. What a stroke of luck. Maybe if she was lucky or clever she could find a way to tail them inside and find out exactly what was going on...
    Who knows? Maybe being up front about it with the delegation from House Vesper would gain her entrance. She is Touched after all. That typically grants her a lot of leeway with Vesper to do what she wants...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Myriam

"Oh yes. Yes she did."
    Not that it was much use to her.

Myriam sits opposite of Serge and grins back at him.
    "That was the good news. Bad news is, a lunatic is after her, and she's in trouble. I made sure she's safe for now, but she needs your help. Also, I won't be stepping near the Fist for a while. Wanna hear more?"

Before anything, Myriam is really curious how much Serge is willing to risk in order to help Jadyn - if at all. From the moment she spotted him, she's been looking at him straight in the eyes, ready to pick up any change of expression while she's talking, any sign of worry or anything at all.

She's in a good mood. If Serge, for whatever reason, really cares about Jadyn's well-being, he'll be pleased that Myriam helped her out of this mess. If not, well, at least there will be less trouble from now on. This turned out bigger than she thought.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    And frolic in my bed

22. - Top - End - #82

Melioli

"Well... now that is a different story." She stops and turns back toward Gail. "So, who's coming to join the boring people in there?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

Jadyn's head snaps up when the man moves. She watches him, evaluating. She wonders how much he heard...which is probably everything, considering they weren't exactly quiet when they came in.

Yes, and you are? She's suspicious, he's paranoid. She watches him swirl on his cloak, Going somewhere?
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-12-10 at 01:06 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Willow

Willow catches up with the group at the tail end, figuring she'll try just walking inside with everyone else and see what happens.

25. - Top - End - #85

Derrack

"Oh, well."

Derrack sighs, choosing to wait and see what happens. Finding a nearby chair, if there is one, he places himself close to the door.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-12-11 at 05:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

((Order swapped around for this set of posts... it was more convenient and logical to do it this way.))

-Jadyn-

The man grins at her, stretching out his arms.
    "Just a common man suffering injustice. No one in particular... I would assume the same goes for you."
    He stands up and swishes his cloak a little.
    "And no, not really. It's probably better if I stay hidden for a while- a day won't cut it."

-Myriam-

Serge nods to Myriam, leaning a little closer, hunching over secretively.
    "Go on, you have my ear."
    He glances around behind them, making sure no one was going to sneak up on them and listen in on their conversation. The place is mostly empty, however, and the soft white noise provided by the atmosphere should muffle what they're saying if they keep low enough.

-Derrack, Melioli, Willow-

"House Vesper."
    Says Gail to Melioli with a smirk, leading the way back around to the front of the building casually, slouching with her hands in her pockets. The bodyguard seems a bit cocky and amused by the situation as she looks off into the streets and then points the approaching group out.
    "You can even see them now. You're going to be a bodyguard for Morris while they're here, got it?"
    Gail grins and Melioli's chance to object or interject is cut off as two heralds of House Vesper arrive, having raced ahead on horses to get there. They're dressed in matching livery- blue tabards with a stylized white symbol decorating them, and both of them appear vaguely haughty.
    "Nobility of House Vesper approaches, and you are here to greet them?"
    His tone and words imply that he finds it very displeasing that someone as obviously uncouth and low as Gail is there to meet them and lead them inside, and the authority he represents would likely take most aback... but Gail just keeps grinning.
    "We're the Order, son. We don't kiss feet, we messily and ruthlessly kill things so you can have your pretty little nobility. I do hope that's appreciated."
    The herald stammers as the rest of House Vesper arrives, then presents the two at the head of the entourage with a steadier voice, trying to regain at least some pomp and dignity.
    "Lady Aery and Captain Hawkins of House Vesper!"
    As he names the two, they dismount from their respective horses. Lady Aery is a young woman who appears quite athletic, her sleek brown hair kept just above her shoulders in length. She might have had a soft appearance in another place, but her eyes and mouth are serious, her clothing- while decorative- is quite practical. However, what most catches attention about her is the glove fixed on her hand, containing two slots for specially made vials of inert Aether- a few vials of which can be seen on her belt.
    Captain Hawkins is wearing light, ceremonial armor, but it is clear that he is a combative person, having gained a few scars from battle. There is a hint of tactical intelligence in his eyes, along with a grim resolve.
    Gail greets them both, still slouching and acting with extreme casualness, caring not for their positions. It obviously loses her some respect in Aery's eyes, but Hawkins keeps his eyes on her almost warily. The group from house Vesper begins moving inside, though most of them are standing in the entrance hall, apparently not allowed to enter the meeting with the others.
    Willow is near the back of the group, but as they begin separating- with Gail leading a few inside, she manages to slip up to the front and towards the meeting with Aery, Hawkins, Gail, and Melioli among others. A few people give her an odd look, but perhaps due to her Touched nature, no one comments.

The now reduced group makes their way to the meeting chamber, where Gail looks down at Derrack, who is just waiting outside. She gives a very small, sly smile, then snaps at him.
    "On your feet! You're protecting Captain Morris now, and that doesn't mean you get to take a break. Follow us inside."
    Derrack can swear he sees her wink, but she turns to the meeting room door before he can do anything and opens it, leading the group inside.

Within the room is a long rectangular table with numerous seats placed around it. At the far end is Captain Morris, the rather bureaucratic leader of the Order, along with four of his officers. The Captain is a thin man with very primped blond hair among other features. Even at a first glance he appears rather vain.
    Lady Aery takes a seat at the opposite end, with Hawkins sitting at her right, along with a few other officials sitting around them. Gail moves to stand behind Morris, while gesturing for Melioli to join her nearby, and Derrack to shut the door and then join her on the other side.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Willow

Willow does her best to remain unobtrusive and finds a seat in the back corner which she drops into. Curiosity is etched all over her face as she looks around the room and waits for something to happen.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Jadyn

She's curious, but she doesn't ask, it isn't something you ask about. Instead she sarcastically says, Really...I wouldn't have guessed. She's wondering if he's simply posturing for her in those tight pants, he seems rather full of himself. She, in turn, rests her forehead on her knees, thus blocking out the sight and indicating her non-interest. She keeps her ears open for any sounds from him and her eyes open in case he tries to come to close.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

29. - Top - End - #89

Derrack

Just nodding in some sort of acceptance, he follows the captain and leans back against the wall close to him, curiously waiting for the meeting to begin.

30. - Top - End - #90

Melioli

Melioli joins Gail and simply watches, content to see this absurd, though apparently real, situation play out.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota