New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Masque of Dreams

"I agree, lets keep him at the smithy then."
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-17 at 02:44 AM.
    The Masque of Dreams character: Bashir

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSepp View Post
    "but are we sure we want to leave the goblin with a civilian?"
    "One chained and scared goblin isn't exactly a threat. More of a potential nuisance."
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

3. - Top - End - #93

"The name's Jard Smith." Says the smith, before taking Kidger inside and clapping him in irons.

Your work done for the night, you all go back to bed and sleep well. The following morning is the day of the gala, and the village's excitement in peaked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now's the time to react to our new PC and his dramatic entrance. If you'd rather skip to the gala scene, just send me a PM that says 'pass'.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to make sense of Corax's post. He's a human in a costume that looks like a bird (though he is trying to keep it hidden) and he has a pet psudodragon?

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to make sense of Corax's post. He's a human in a costume that looks like a bird (though he is trying to keep it hidden) and he has a pet psudodragon?
    Yes, and a villager had too much to drink and decided that wearing costumes outside of the gala is a beat-down worthy offense.

6. - Top - End - #96

Evening finally arrives, and there is a mass exodus to Vestang Manor. You first pass through a large courtyard and then pass into the building itself. Upon arrival, six guards confiscate any unconcealed weapons. They promise that confiscated weapons will be kept safe in Delvis' (the dwarven captain of the guard) nearby office.

Within, guests are already eating, drinking and mingling. It's hard to recognize anyone due to the absurd costumes and the dim lighting, but the royal guests' costumes are higher quality than the peasants' costumes. The Lady and her guards are the only easily identifiable people; she wears a headdress with two-foot feathers while the guards wear black. After an hour, after the stragglers have arrived, Lady Ashinana calls for silence and two guards roll out a large cage covered by a sheet.

"The world holds many strange wonders from past and present. The desert which we call home was once a great empire known as Cynadicea that long ago fell into ruin. Mere weeks ago I was fortunate enough to discover one of the world's great wonders; ladies and gentlemen, I give you...the children of Cynidea!" The two guards pull the sheet off of the cage; within stand two men and one women, all with skin paler than bleached bone. They have large eyes that squint and never look directly at the candles which light the grand hall. They wear only decorative loincloths and speak softly to each other in a strange tongue.

The guests are speechless for several moments, until someone starts clapping, at which point the hall fills with noise. "To Cynidicea, the Lost City!" Ashinana says as servants refill everyone's cups. After the toast, everyone is seated and the feast begins in earnest. As the evening progresses, you each notice a change in the feasters. At first it is subtle; a man in silver armor challenges another guest to a duel of honor, in jest...you think. Lady Ashinana begins loudly referring to herself as Empress, while a young woman drunkenly laments a lover who recently broke her heart.

But the feast finally turns to madness; guests get up from their chairs to act out strange impulses. One aged royal guest brags that he wrestled a giant into submission during his youth...and then proceeds to manhandle a pillar in order to prove that he can do it again. A woman in a mouse costume begins scratching people with her nails, and then retreating when threatened with silver cutlery. Another man stalks about the hall, telling himself "...must be patient and quiet...mustn't disturb big game before the kill..." and then stabs a guest in a rhino costume from behind with a steak knife.

And everyone is too absorbed in their own fantasies to care. Everyone, except for you.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-18 at 06:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Hieronymus is feigning shock at the guests' behavior, but examination reveals that he is fascinated.

"What is this madness? A spell of some sort? And why would I not be affected..."

Hieronymus looks around to see who else is not affected.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[17] Arcana or Religion to figure out the cause of this.
    Last edited by Jalor; 2008-11-18 at 05:15 PM.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    "What is this madness? A spell of some sort? And why would I not be affected..."
    You discern no telltale traces of magic in the hall.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadrok is shocked by the behavior of the other guests. He grabs the nearest person acting madly and shakes them, "Get a hold of yourself! What are you doing?"

10. - Top - End - #100

Rhadrok is shocked by the behavior of the other guests. He grabs the nearest person acting madly and shakes them, "Get a hold of yourself! What are you doing?"
    The woman you grab looks at you with dreamy eyes and says "Oh sir dwarf, I can't deny it any longer...I love you! I know we come from such different places, and our families will never accept each other, but love conquers all!" She then tries to kiss you, but is thwarted by the masks you both wear.

Spoiler
    Show
    You all quickly recognize each other as the only rational individuals remaining.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadrok throws the lady off of him. Noticing the others that seem to have their senses, he waves for them to follow him. He remembers that the goblins were delivering a jar to the "pale skins", and these "children of Cynidea" are some of the palest things he's seen. Walking over to their cage he examines them closely. "Hello there, do you know anything about all this?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check
    (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-19 at 01:18 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Earlier in the evening Bashir thought this was going to be one hell of a party, but it was going too far. He begins to ask people around him what they are doing. Seeing Rhadrok wrestle with the crazy woman, Bashir recognizes he is the sane one here, and follows him to the cages. He tells him "We need to find out what is going on here, try questioning these "children" and I'll make sure you don't get stabbed while doing it." Standing next to Rhadrok, he surveyes the croud trying to distinguish any threats or strange things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[17](22)
    Last edited by Gnarg; 2008-11-19 at 06:41 AM.
    The Masque of Dreams character: Bashir

13. - Top - End - #103

Still contemplating, Hieronymus steps toward the children of Cynidea and examines them closely, questioning them.

"Can you understand me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what skill to use here, so I'll roll two dice and you can add modifiers of the correct skills.
    (1d20)[3]
    (1d20)[3]
    BOLLOCKS!
    Last edited by Jalor; 2008-11-19 at 06:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One
    "Hello there, do you know anything about all this?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalor
    "Can you understand me?"
    One of the male pale skins speaks back in his foreign tongue, pointing to the other guests and making the universal hand sign for 'crazy'. He then indicates the locked cage door, and then the room where the cage was rolled out from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something about this man rubs you the wrong way, as if he knows you will obey him and that asking you is only a formality.

Bashir notices that four of the eight entrances into the grand hall are now open, with certain guests coming in and out.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadrok walks over to the room the cage came from and looks inside, leaving the pale-skins where they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    More perception
    (1d20+3)[7]

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One
    Rhadrok walks over to the room the cage came from and looks inside, leaving the pale-skins where they are.
    The room is a lounge; there are two couches, a half dozen chairs, a hearth and pillows of various sizes and shapes everywhere. On a hook just inside the door hangs a single iron key.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Rhadrok enters the room and does a through search of it, especially keeping an eye out for any jars.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to search the whole room.
    (1d20+3)[22]

18. - Top - End - #108

Hieronymus examines the guests entering and leaving, hoping to find some useful information.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Change

Change hadn’t noticed, not at first. He had gotten a few complements on his costume before the big announcement however, even played a few tunes for a tiny portion of the crowd. He had noticed others with ‘wings’ as well. Some even articulated, with handles that allowed the wings to spread. Head covered with a rich mottled brown of feathers each preened into place. Large golden eyes bight as he looks about at the others. A short kiltlike swath covered his lions as a plane jerkin was tied on across his chest. His heavy gloves were strapped to his belt, dark and worn. This revealed thin yellowscaled fingers toped with small talon-like nails. Oh yes. Under that kilt.. lion like furred thighs. Ending in heavy, wide, digigrade feet. (dammed hard to get shoes for too). The wings made like a cape on his back. The jerkin split to let them through to settle properly.

So. The Mage was more concerned with making music for the tiny crowd nearby so he didn’t notice the aberrant behavior at first. It was when the one male, dressed as a bounty hunter snuck up behind the Lady and stabbed her with the butterknife. Not that Change ever used a butterknife at all. Now he started looking about with a purpose. Eyes first seeking out the one with the heavy, white, fully articulated wings, who had come as an angel. It was hard to see that worth through the crowd though, packed tight in the Great Hall of the Keep. Change only able to see the wings flutter as the crowd surged and flowed. Each lost in there own fantasies now.

The Mage had settled into a far corner on the hall. Nearly as far away from the dais as possible. From here though he did have a good look at the ‘Queen”. Then his golden eyes slid over to the cage. Intently noteing the albino/deep dwellers behavior. As well as getting a good look at the cage.

He tried to keep his back to the wall mostly. His wings fluttering here and there while he worked his way towards the main doors out. Puling his eyes away from the scene of the three underdwellers and the queen. Turing to the “guard” (if there was one) at the door out of the hall.

20. - Top - End - #110

Battle Map: For the beginning of this fight, roll 1d4-1 and subtract that number from your speed each round. There are guests everywhere, and they have to be shoved aside or dodged around. You are of course free to think of a creative way to get them out of your way.

Bashir and Hieronymous don’t notice anything unusual about the guests passing in and out of the hall, but they do notice a group of goblins enter quite suddenly. Actually, you all notice these goblins. One is mounted on a camel, and seems to direct the others who immediately begin goading, prodding and threatening the guests out into the courtyard.

Chainge hears a banging and muted yelling coming from the open door directly to his south.

Rhadrok finds little of interest; the single jar he finds is made of glass and contains only decorative stones in an eye-pleasing arrangement.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-20 at 02:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: I'm sure, at some point, we'll actually start a battle fully equipped and ready. How I long for that day...anyway, on with the game.

Spoiler
    Show

Speed reduction roll- (1d4-1)[1]
    Initiative-(1d20)[11]
    And two questions, where exactly are our weapons? And can I use the jar as an improvised weapon (even as a single use one)? Once I know this stuff, I'll figure our what I do in the surprise round.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-20 at 01:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

OOC: I'm sure, at some point, we'll actually start a battle fully equipped and ready. How I long for that day...anyway, on with the game.
    Lol, it'll happen.

Spoiler
    Show

Speed reduction roll- [roll0]
    Initiative-[roll1]
    And two questions, where exactly are our weapons? And can I use the jar as an improvised weapon (even as a single use one)? Once I know this stuff, I'll figure our what I do in the surprise round.
    My bad, I actually forgot for about an hour that you don't have weapons. So you don't need to roll initiative or worry about speed penalties unless you attack or draw attention to yourself. As to weapons, you recall a guard carrying them west, down the corridor that is directly adjacent to the hall. (To go in that direction you'll have to pass the goblins and then hang a right once you leave the hall.)

You can use just about anything as an improvised weapon. You could probably pull off a caltrop-like effect by smashing the jar of stones. If you pick up a steak knife, I'll give the wielder a +1 proficiency bonus.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

In that case....

Rhadrok moves back over to the center of the room, keeping the jar, near the other clear headed ones. Speaking softly, he says "We need our weapons to deal with these ones. I think I saw the guard take them out that entrance." He nods at the western door near the goblins, "If we can get close, we can make a run for it. Follow my lead." Rhadrok begins moving towards the door, trying to stay along the wall.

Assuming the others follow:
    Once they get even with the last line of tables, Rhadrok breaks into a run for the side door, hoping the rest come along as well.

If the goblins notice them, Rhadrok will let the others pass him and throw down the jar, shattering it and covering the floor behind them with rocks and glass.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2008-11-20 at 03:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

*Bump*?....

25. - Top - End - #115

"I can still fight. This orb is the one I use for my real spells, and I don't wear armor. I'll take point and pick off any curious goblins while you retrieve your gear."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default camels lions and birds

(sorry i am so late. and if this overrides an allready done action please ignore))

the Gryphon-mage paced. moving slowly though the edge of the crowd.

he stopped once. lifting a hand up into a niche where a bust rested. he made a clicking noise and softly spoke “up”
    the Psudodragon slid up. moving slowly too. keeping it camouflage as it curled up behid the bust, peaking out over its shoulder.

now Change moved with more porpoise. Still slowly and towards the doors. but more to get behind the camel. he moved through and with the surging crowd as the goblins began doing their work. the bright gold eyes flicking back and forth. trying to see if the behaviors were still intact. noting that a number had dressed as high warriors. even one in something like ill fitting half plate armor.

fortunately not too many wanted to be behind (or in front of) the camel.

It was easy to slip between the rater distracted ring of goblins on the floor as they were busy harassing whoever got close. Fro a brief second Change was in the small open area just inside striking range of the camel’s rear feet. a moment of mental preparation for spell and himself. the wings snapped open. knees bent. leaping into the air with the help of his broad wings. Aiming to land an the camel just behind the lead goblin.

Camels as you know are desert animals. and Lions hunt the dry grass savanna. what most people don’t realize is there is some overlap on occasion to the two territories. Apparently this camel had some experience. for as soon as the leonine foot landed on the rump of the camel it bolted. the goblin had turned on hearing the wing-flaps an neither of us were ready for the camel to bolt across nhe room in a effort to get away from the Predator. the two of us landing in the only clear area on the entire great hall now. hitting the floor with a thwump.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, at least 3 of the 5 are back. Hopefully the other two show up as well?

28. - Top - End - #118

Map

Spoiler
    Show
    Three out of five is good odds. For now we'll assume that Kriv and Bashir follow through with the plan to get their weapons back, and hopefully Gnarg and ColdSepp will post again soon.

You charge past the goblins, who plainly aren't expecting organized action. Reaching the all-important doorway, which is oddly unlocked and open, you race inside and quickly locate your weapons. And not a moment too soon, for the sounds of goblin pursuit are close behind! (This room is apparently an office, with a desk piled with papers, with three chairs nearby. The other door in the office is closed and locked.)

Roll Initiative! (Now that you’re out of the great hall you don’t have to worry about reduced speed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Corax
    the Gryphon-mage paced...
    An inventive plan, Chainge thought to himself as he watched four guests rush past the goblins out into the corridor. …but worth the risk? Chainge then sees the mounted goblin give orders, followed by two foot goblins leaving to investigate the corridor. The goblins that remain in the great hall move forward as more guests leave. One of the goblins reaches the cage, bashes in its door and then stands aside for the three albinos to step out. Then he sees something truly startling; Lady Ashinana walks forward to find out why her guests are so rapidly abandoning her.

Shouting to the mounted goblin she says “I am the Queen Zenobia, Empress of Cynadicea, and I demand to know what you are doing in my royal court!”

To which the goblin responds “I am here to escort you and your subjects to a great feast in your honor, Empress.” Amazingly, the Lady seems to accept this explanation and begins willfully leading even more dinner guests out into the courtyard.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2008-11-26 at 09:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative
    (1d20)[11]

30. - Top - End - #120

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[2] Initiative

BOLLOCKS!
    Last edited by Jalor; 2008-11-27 at 08:47 AM.