New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Restoration by Treason

Restoration by treason

Seven years have passed since the end of the Jedi Civil War. After Revan had defeated Malak, the Sith armada was broken and most of the Sith Empire devolved into fragments ruled by minor Sith warlords. The galaxy was largely at peace again.

Even though the Republic started their restoration period during this time, not all the Sith were defeated. The Dark Wars might have gone by unnoticed, were it not for the mysterious destruction of three planets and one of the Republic's largest fuel sources. The Jedi Order had been scattered and mostly destroyed, until a Jedi named Visas Marr entered into negotiation with the Republic to form a new Jedi Order.
    As most Jedi were slain or had gone into hiding during the Dark Wars, Visas' new order mostly saw recruits in the form of ex-Grey Jedi, redeemed Jedi and untrained Force sensitives. The need for restoration and stability led to a looser Jedi regimen. Most of the rules, except the Jedi Code were ignored in favour of a more ad hoc Order.

Meanwhile, the Selkath planet of Manaan is on the verge of civil war and the Altho City Civil Authority has issued a planet wide quarantine. Selkath clans are rising again and skirmishes are a daily affair.
    Reason for this calamity is a decline in the production of kolto. Most of the kolto mined is contaminated, poisoning patients rather than curing them. Former Grey Jedi Karith has been sent to investigate.

Chapter 1: Investigations

The last rays of sunlight are still warm as the sun sets over Manaan. The past few days have been uneventful and you haven't seen Karith since you landed on his ship. Because of the quarantine, many travelers have been stuck and you have so far been able to enjoy yourself in one of the many cantina's, arborea's or the exploration of Altho in general. Despite the threat of civil war, most public sections of Altho are suprisingly calm.

All this rest may have been good for you, as Karith send you a communique this afternoon. You are to gather at one of the many piers at night and await his arrival.

The pier is quiet, unusually devoid of the many observation droids found elsewhere on Manaan. The sun is just about to set as the last of the group arrives. All there is now, is wait on Karith.

Spoiler
    Show

You can take a moment to describe your character and for general introductions. There is a bit of time before Karith arrives, so feel free to chat with each other.
    You are not strangers from each other, since you spent some time on the starship while traveling to Manaan.

Have fun!

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Restoration by Treason

MI-A0

MI-A0 stands at the end of the dock, looking over the water for any possible external threats. Tall by human standards, with a blue eyes, a silvery-gray carapace and otherwise fairly standard humanoid features, MI-A0 is dressed in a dark tunic cut along military lines, his his pistol and baton in obvious holsters at his hips.

His impromptu tour of Ahto city had revealed a place mostly open and undefended, though there were a few closed compounds that were slightly more impenetrable. While the general attitude had seemed relaxed and open, the city officials had told the tale, the lot of them scrambling nervously fin the face of civil war and the completely collapse of their economy. Still, everyone trusted a droid, and one programmed in the arts of deception was able to learn quite a bit...
    Avatar: Dave the Drone Rigger, by Brickwall

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

While Shalan hopes that these people can help with the kolto problem, he certainly doesn't trust any of the newcomers. It would be difficult for a non-Selkath to tell, but his beady eyes are doing more than staring at them... the look is most definitely a glare. The last time a group of meddlers led by Jedi came through they killed his father. Granted, there was little that could be done for him in his advanced state of madness, but still... it's hard to forgive that.

Shalan wears a loose spacer's vest over a form-fitting suit in contemporary Selkath style designed for minimum interference with swimming. A curved blade is obviously sheathed at his hip, and a heavy bag labeled "medical supplies" in his own language is slung over his shoulder. What is not so obvious is the small blaster concealed under his vest.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-11-03 at 11:51 AM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

Slowly, if a little confidently, Zak strolled down the pier. He was... well, on any other world, he would have been described as "non-descript". 5'6, hair black, eyes emerald green. Dressed in clohes that, whilst fashionable, were at best non descript.

If any one had searched him though, the lightsaber concealed within might give them cause for wonder...

While on a planet under threat of civil war? Don't advertise an association with the Republic. It never goes down well.

The Cantinas here hadn't really interested him that much. However, he'd spent a brief, but profitable bit of time looking over the Altho History Meuseam, a small little thing, maintained by one old Selkath who spoke little basic, but was fluent in Ryl from his past dealings with a Twi'lek trading group.

He'd been quite surprised to find an off-worlder interested in Selkath history, but Zak was totally sincere. The two of them spent a long pleasurable afternoon, pouring over the old records, of war, of peace, of the Clans, of Manaan...

Most enjoyable. Zak uploaded copies of quite a few exhibits to his data pad, before wishing the old being long life, and withdrawing. Now though, in the sun set, with the air as... moist as this, Zak was wishing he'd had the chance to stay another hour or so.

Master Karith not hear yet?

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    If museums wouldn't be open to the public, or the Selkath wouldn't be that friendly I'll change it. But it seemed the sort of thing Zak would do
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueWizardGirl

"No," Shalan replies in Basic, his voice heavy with the distinctive accent of the Selkath, "Your leader has not yet arrived."

He turns his glare on Zak.

"You have been studying our history, yes? Then you know it is only with great trepidation that we call on the Jedi for assistance. Please, be careful. Do not justify our fears."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC I wanted blue! Oh well, purple like usual)

MI-A0

"And what fears for those be?" comments MI-A0, "From what I can tell, Manaan seems quite ready to tear itself apart without any external aid; surely external interference can not make it that much worse?" His deep voice and smooth diction sound odd coming from a droid, especially when combined with his sharp tone, but the words fall from his vocabulator as naturally as any.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueWizardGirl

((OOC: I could use another blue if you'd like...))

"If the outside world were content to let the Selkath live in peace none of this strife would have started in the first place. It was your Republic that influenced us to build in the Hrakert Rift and anger the Progenitor. Now that the kolto is turning dark it is evident that even your emissary's attempt to appease the Progenitor by destroying the station was not enough."

Shalan spits on the ground.

"You're just here to clean up the mess you caused in the first place."
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-11-03 at 02:45 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

Zak bowed low, slightly uncomfterble at Shalan's gaze.

I understand, Shalan. I am not Master Karith, but I'll be doing my very best to ensure your fears are not justified.

At the droid and Selkath start irritating each other, the young Jedi sighs. His move to step between them is hindered by his comparitive lack of hight, but he does his best.

Look, we're here to make things right. Doesn't matter, really, whose fault they are. They're done, and won't be un-done without action. Right?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueWizardGirl

Shalan closes his eyes and lets out a heavy sigh.

"He's right. I apologize, it's just... this is a stressful time for all Selkath. Kolto is the heart of our economy. I fear if we lose it we will soon be forgotten entirely. While I would not mind being forgotten politically, I do not wish to be severed completely from the galactic community... especially not our aquatic brethren on other worlds."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

The young human smiles, politely, at the Selkath

I understand, as I'm sure does Master Karith. Hell, if I know him, he's finding something important out even now.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC: Nah, it's fine; first come, first served. Besides, now I have a common theme across all my characters)

MI-A0

"I am certain that the Selkath will not be forgotten from galactic history; at the very least, they will go down as an excellent example of why it is never a good idea to straddle the fence in a war. That said, loss of kolto supplies would be an enormous hit to the entire galaxy, as well as Manaan; I am certain that the Republic will not permit this to happen. I have every confidence in Jedi Karith's abilities."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

Zak looks hard done by. He raps the droid over the head, lightly.

Mi-A0! Do you have a protocol circuit in that frame of yours?

He sighs

Anyway, what have you two been doing for all this time? As I recall, we were all at liberty this afternoon.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueWizardGirl

"Never a good idea to- Why I- Do you realize what would have happened to us if we had chosen a side? We would look like Telos now, or Peragus! Even though we have been scarred by your meddling, at least our neutrality has shielded us from being destroyed!"
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

MI-A0

"And you really think the Sith would have been more generous in their victory? I am certain that within a year of a Sith victory against the Republic, every Selkath would be under bondage, and kolto would be plundered without mercy. That is, of course, neither here nor there. As for my protocol circuits, well, I am programmed to engage in a wide variety of diplomatic and interpersonal interactions; however, I will not hear ill spoken of the Republic, particularly when it is not true. While I sympathize with the plight of the Selkath, I feel it is a direct result of their government's actions; these xenophobic attempts to use the Galactic Republic as a scapegoat sit poorly with me. Telos was destroyed by the Mandalorians, Peragus's destruction has been traced to an equipment malfunction. The Republic had nothing to do with either, except perhaps not to meddle enough."

That said, he turns his head to the human, "I am a sentient, as you are. If you again treat me as a possession, I will treat you in kind."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

It is the task of a Jedi to mediate, to be fair...

Zak sighed. He sol onged for this whole life to be simpler, easier. The life of a warrior, that's how he'd pictured it when he joined the Order. Fighting the evils of the Sith, the Mandilorians, or some other threat to the Republic, if fair and honorable battle.

Not trying to keep a druid and an angry Selkath from pounding on each other.

Telos is being rebuilt, along now with other worlds, thanks to the sucess of the restoration project. Peragus... well, you can hardly call the Dark Wars the Republic's fault. And those were both Republic planets.

And remember, the idea that this is a further consequence of the Rift incident is conjecture only. That is why there is an investigation teem here, to find out what did cause this, and why that investigation team is a Jedi one. Not a Republican one. The Jedi, in spite of their long standing relationship with the republic, are neutral arbiters after all, and that has not changed.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Minchandre View Post
    MI-A0

"And you really think the Sith would have been more generous in their victory? I am certain that within a year of a Sith victory against the Republic, every Selkath would be under bondage, and kolto would be plundered without mercy. That is, of course, neither here nor there. As for my protocol circuits, well, I am programmed to engage in a wide variety of diplomatic and interpersonal interactions; however, I will not hear ill spoken of the Republic, particularly when it is not true. While I sympathize with the plight of the Selkath, I feel it is a direct result of their government's actions; these xenophobic attempts to use the Galactic Republic as a scapegoat sit poorly with me. Telos was destroyed by the Mandalorians, Peragus's destruction has been traced to an equipment malfunction. The Republic had nothing to do with either, except perhaps not to meddle enough."

That said, he turns his head to the human, "I am a sentient, as you are. If you again treat me as a possession, I will treat you in kind."
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    When did I treat him as a possession? I rapped his head, yes, but lightly, as a mild gesture. Not as an owner. The equivelent of waving a hand in exasperation.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-11-03 at 03:52 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueWizardGirl

"Did I ever advocate siding with the Sith?" Shalan asks, rhetorically, "No, of course not. When you have a resource like kolto," he motions to Zak, "or a power like that of the Jedi, it is your duty to remain neutral lest you upset the balance of the Force. These wars that have ravaged the galaxy recently are a perfect example of what chaos happens when Selkath and Jedi do not protect their traditional neutrality."

Turning to Zak he says, "I wish the new Council had been wise enough to exclude outspoken Republicans from their team here. I am not the only one on this planet who will receive your droid poorly. If he talks like that around some Selkath... Well, I hope they built him to swim."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

The young Jedi seems irritated by Shalan's words

I don't know much about how Mi-A0 was constructed. But I do wish you'd show some diplomacy on the situation yourself, Shalan. Master Karith, along with many of the New Order, fought in the Mandalorian Wars by Revan's side.

Whilst a large number of Revan's knights did fall, it is not definable by mortal logic as to whether or not such was due to their fighting in the wars, Revan's influence, or some other factor. And given that they saved many people by doing so, it would be perhaps unfair to call their acts inherently wrong.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

MI-A0

"I think you will find me more than diplomatic enough in public, friend Shalan; I simply prefer to establish an understanding with those who will hold my continued existence in their hands. I would wager that I love the Republic no more than you love Manaan; indeed, as a droid my capacity for love is obviously less than that of a living sentient such as yourself." Obviously, whoever built MI-A0 programmed him for sarcasm.

"Regardless, I did not mean to offend. I hold that without the Revanchists, the Mandalorians would have overrun the Republic; I hold further that the Selkath would not have enjoyed Sith dominion. You obviously disagree, and it seems as though neither of us will convince the other. Let us speak of other things: I spent much of the past few days interacting with the local authorities; tactfully, I assure you. I sincerely hope that the war does not touch the City; it seems singularly ill-prepared for it. While I've little love for local politics, a thing of peace and beauty ought not to be destroyed, particularly not by civil war."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Zak

The young human looks surprised at the droid

I didn't know you knew how to perform tactical analysis, MI-A0. Not exactly standard for a protocol droid, no?

Of course I agree with you that war would be a tragedy. This'd just destroy a beautiful city. But what's your point? That is not exactly something overly open for discussion...
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-11-03 at 05:17 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueWizardGirl

"There you go twisting my words again, metal man!" Shalan exclaims exasperatedly, "I never said that a Manaan under Sith domination would be a happy Manaan. What I'm saying is that in order to preserve our planet we must refrain from supporting any greater power, Mandalorian or Republican, Jedi or Sith. We must serve all, heal all equally, as we always have. Only then will we have peace."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Yurist Levedru
    "Yes, yes! I, Yurist Levedru most vehemently agree!" bellowed Yurist, "Manaan must keep its freedom, lest it lose its identity!"

The others (and indeed, everyone within half a kilometre) had long since figured that Yurist was physically lacking an indoor voice.

"I must say, Shalan, Ahto is very beautiful, and I am only disappointed I did not have the opportunity to visit sooner. Manaan's reputation is well deserved indeed."

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueWizardGirl

Shalan doesn't know quite how to take the shouted compliments.

"Err... thank you. Thank you very much... Yurist."
    Last edited by Ascension; 2008-11-03 at 07:32 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MI-A0

"And I contend that the only thing that can be known about neutrality is that neither side will trust a neutral party afterwards. Manaan only gets away with it because of its kolto - but trust me, the Mandalorians would have invaded had they ever gotten this far, as they certainly do not respect neutrality. The Sith seemed to respect it, but I have little doubt that they would 'consolidate' Manaan after any large victor; in fact, had the Republic not been standing by to defend the planet, I do not doubt they would have done so during the war. Neutrality may be fine in theory, but in reality it simply does not work. Of course, a water world is always difficult to invade...but the Sith are an insidious, determined foe. As I said, however, let us discontinue the subject; you are obviously caught up in your propaganda, and I in mine."

"As for my martial bent, well: I may be a protocol droid, but I served as personal assistant to a Republic general during the height of the Mandalorian Wars; one cannot help but pick up a few things. My point was only that it would be tragic to see war touch such a place; it is rare to find place so superficially untouched by the violence, these days."

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

Shalan decides he's had enough of arguing. Best to just try to sue for peace.

"And that is something we agree on, that peace must be maintained if at all possible."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Yurist Levedru
    Yurist shook his head. "The republic is dying, sustained only by sacrifice. Manaan must be neutral, or Manaan will become Manaan no more."

As usual, he said it in the heroic tone he always did, regardless of how appropriate it was for the situation.

"Just another world in the Republic, dragged slowly towards death." He spoke these last words in a slightly pained fashion, though still noticeably loud. It seemed he just didn't go below a certain volume.

He stood and left the group, standing at the cantina's window, hefting his rocket launcher and putting it on the ground with a noticeable thunk as he watched the waves.

"Yes, Ahto is a place of great beauty. Almost like Iziz."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

MI-A0

Had his lips been mobile, MI-A0 might have smirked at the Selkath, "I disagree, but I will agree to disagree on this."

When Levedru spoke, however, the droid simply stared at him. "I see we have a Vaklu-ist among us. It is funny, though, I was just about to make the same comparison. Tell me, how well did neutrality work for Onderon? I saw it defended the planet quite well from the Mandalorians, and it worked even better the second time, with the Sith. The Republic may be sustained by sacrifice, but so are all governments. Manaan would do well to learn from Onderon's example."

28. - Top - End - #28

BlueWizardGirl

"I thought we agreed to disagree?" Shalan says to the droid, "It's obvious we're not going to come to a consensus, so it would just be a waste of breath on our part and a waste of battery power on yours to keep arguing about it. It shouldn't have much bearing on our mission regardless. We will simply find what the problem with the kolto is and fix it."
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

MI-A0

"We agreed to disagree," the droid says, "But friend Levedru here made an interesting analogy. Regardless, we are in consensus on our mission: both Manaan and the Republic need kolto production normalized, for the benefit of all involved."

30. - Top - End - #30

Yurist Levedru
    "Gloat all you please. Onderon has been part of the Republic for generations." replied Yurist, turning around.

"Six years after Onderon joined, the Mandalorians attacked. I'm sure you remember who won. But that is a matter of history - Onderon has since declined with the Republic."

He placed his hands on his hips in 'Superman' position, and the light from the window caught his back in just the right way.

"But, though evil has caught us complacent once, it will not happen again! Vaklu may not have been a hero, but I, Yurist Levedru, have sworn to fight evildoers wherever they may be, and protect the innocent where the Republic cannot!"