New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Just how Exotic is an Exotic Weapon?

I can't seem to find any rules of how to *make* an exotic weapon, plenty around the place state the upper bounds of martial, and anything about it is exotic, but nothing places a cap on exotic. This poses a problem as I require two exotic weapon feats for a prerequisites to a prestige class I want, and I want to put them to good use.

I've already employed the help of a master blacksmith (third in line to directly service the king/kingdom in this region), and I've a fair quantity of disposable goods to fund the new weapon, which will be a two-handed axe of some sort. I'm stuck as to how to make it exotic and shiney, and how to use both feats usefully (can I dump them into one incredibly hard to use weapon, or should I make a good light/one headed back up, for instance. And just how much damage and critical multiplier and threat range can I fairly squeeze out of it?).

So my questions to you fellow homebrewers, is how do you classify Exotic, and what would you give the axe (and another weapon)?
    The general character its for is a very strong barbarian like (but no levels in it) fighter, who was raised on a farm and so has always favoured farm like weapons (scythes, sickles, wood chopping styled axes etc), so I'd like to have it in keeping with that style.

Thanks for the help =)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Just how Exotic is an Exotic Weapon?

It's exotic if it is difficult to wield due to being a skillful weapon or a weapon that presents a great deal of danger to an untrained wielder.

Something like a recurve scythe (a scythe with a double-curved shaft that an expert wielder could employ to quickly reverse the direction of its sweep or add extra power to a single stroke) which I just bs'ed into existence now, would probably be what you seek.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Realistically, you should be able to take a Martial Weapon and do one of the following to it:

-Increase the damage one die-step (e.g. 1d6 to 1d8)
    -Increase the critical threat range by one (e.g. 20/x2 to 19-20/x2)
    -Increase the critical threat multiplier by one (e.g. 20/x3 to 20/x4)
    -Give it some sort of unique method of use (e.g. the Whip, Bolas, or Shuriken)
    -Make it a double-weapon (e.g. the Halfling Rapier-Flail, one head being treated as a Rapier and the other being treated as a Flail)

However, the creation of an Exotic Weapon is essentially up to your DM. He might agree to let you, he might not. Exotic Weapons are nice enough, but you won't really be able to drag too much out of them. If you were really convincing your DM might allow you to get away with two of the above, but I wouldn't count on it.
    I be Lankybugger (or That Lanky Bugger, if you prefer). I be back.
    Learn how to make an avatar as cool as mine! RIGHT NOW!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    It's exotic if it is difficult to wield due to being a skillful weapon or a weapon that presents a great deal of danger to an untrained wielder.

Something like a recurve scythe (a scythe with a double-curved shaft that an expert wielder could employ to quickly reverse the direction of its sweep or add extra power to a single stroke) which I just bs'ed into existence now, would probably be what you seek.
    Something like this?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I couldn't make out the haft.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Better?
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Last edited by Zeful; 2008-11-05 at 03:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Lanky View Post
    ...the Halfling Rapier-Flail...
    I wasn't sure if you were making this up or not. Yes, some of the sourcebook weapon are just that ridiculious.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Zeful: Not even close. But that's a different exoticness.

I'm thinking more of a standard scythe, but with a doubly arced haft, allowing a more controlled two-handed grip, as well as cheerleader-like twirls and half-spins. With a giant scythe.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Are you thinking of something like this, afroakuma?
    Amazing Abjuration Avatar made by Serpentine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramarie IRC
    <Fako> Most of my contributions to the system have been in the form of taking a baseball bat to other homebrewer's works.
    <~sirpercival> haha
    <Fako> You laugh because it's true :P
    <~sirpercival> yes. yes i do.
    Skinshred Swarm (CR 9) / Reaper Wolf (CR 5) / Demonecris (CR 18)
    Indomitable (Melee PrC [5 Lvl])

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This would be closer, although by no means exact. Basically an S-shaped scythe haft, allowing greater control, stop-reverse etc. with gripping areas.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I'm thinking more of a standard scythe, but with a doubly arced haft, allowing a more controlled two-handed grip, as well as cheerleader-like twirls and half-spins. With a giant scythe.
    Death as a cheerleader?
    Best. Character. EVER!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Sooo.... are the harp strings just cuz you couldn't find anything better?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Zeful: If you've read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, you've seen Death as a whole lot of other surprising but cool things.

Owrtho: Yep. In a nutshell.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Lanky View Post
    Realistically, you should be able to take a Martial Weapon and do one of the following to it:

-Increase the damage one die-step (e.g. 1d6 to 1d8)
    -Increase the critical threat range by one (e.g. 20/x2 to 19-20/x2)
    -Increase the critical threat multiplier by one (e.g. 20/x3 to 20/x4)
    -Give it some sort of unique method of use (e.g. the Whip, Bolas, or Shuriken)
    -Make it a double-weapon (e.g. the Halfling Rapier-Flail, one head being treated as a Rapier and the other being treated as a Flail)
    This is very helpful thank you! I just need to find a suitable base... which brings me on to -

This would be closer, although by no means exact. Basically an S-shaped scythe haft, allowing greater control, stop-reverse etc. with gripping areas.
    First off, I must say, I love how this has become a thread on bad-ass scythe designs now Although I'm not entirely sure how one would use this other than with close range gut swipes and bailing dodged blows early as so not to open yourself for easy hits. But I am liking the idea of a scythe again, I had much fun with the chaotic crits and awesome style that the scythe gives.

I'm thinking along the lines of a more slight version of afroakuma's recurve scythe handle... but with the outer side of the blade sweeping back up to make an axe head on the end and then returning to the handle with only a slight curve to it... basically creating an even more bizzare weapon than the Halfling Rapier-Flail! Think Zeful's suggested "scythe" but one sided and the two cresents meeting on the sides to form an axe head (and the upper curve lessened).

However, should I use the base of a scythe, or great-axe? and when combining the features, should i take averages/ move the stats so they follow that of Return of Lanky's guidelines so its more middle grounded... such as...

{table=head]Weapon | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Dmg (L) | Critical | Weight | Type
    Scythe | 18 gp | 1d6 | 2d4 | 2d6 | ×4 | 10 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    Greataxe | 20 gp | 1d10 | 1d12 | 3d6 | ×3 | 12 lb. |Slashing
    |
    Axebase (crit) | ? gp | 1d10 | 1d12 | 3d6 | ×4 | 12 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    Scythebase (dam dice) | ? gp | 1d8 | 2d6 | 2d8 | ×4 | 12 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    Scythe (dam size)| ? gp | 2d4 | 2d6 | 3d6 | ×4 | 12 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    Average | ? gp | 1d8 | 1d10 | 2d8 | 19-20/×2 | 12 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    [/table]

Or, ya know, whatever you guys thinks fits such an odd weapon (help)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Double weapon? One side does 1d10 slashing x3, one does 2d4 slash/pierce x4?
    It would be truly a truly ridiculous beast of a weapon, so go ahead and throw in tripping and disarming abilities, just for fun.
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    I wasn't sure if you were making this up or not. Yes, some of the sourcebook weapon are just that ridiculious.
    You know, I selected it because it sounded silly. Then again, after the silliness that is the Orc Double-Axe, Dire Flail, and the Gnommish Hooked Hammer, I suppose we should be prepared for anything. The only wonky double-weapon I like, thematically, is the Dwarven Urgrosh, because it's just a spike at the bottom of an axe handle.

And people wonder why I'm careful about what sourcebook material winds up in my games...
    I be Lankybugger (or That Lanky Bugger, if you prefer). I be back.
    Learn how to make an avatar as cool as mine! RIGHT NOW!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Anime weapon...
    Or "the biggest and most impractical, the better"
    The best way to use THIS scynthe would just be to throw it at the ennemi. The weight himself should be enough...

If you're searching for exotic weapon, you can basically take whatever stereotype of "deadly ninja weapon". Most of them were, in fact, improvised weapons which proved to be efficient and were adapted to increase their effectiveness (the kunai was a guardening tool to begin with...). So think :
    What everyday object could become a deadly weapon if it was a little sharper and more streamlined ?

As for the rules, yes, either increase the damage, the critic chances, the critic multiplicator, the range... bonus to hit, free attack of opportunity and basically every special rules for common and martial weapon can do it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Exotic Weapon:

Bananafanafofaser. (Best when combined with more weapons to form the Laser Daser Bobaser Bananafanafofaser with the X-Rayser Goawayser Laser Maser Raser Sprayser attachment)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    The Gyrspike, while a sword/flail rather than a rapier/flail, is my personal favorite weapon of any kind in all of D&D, simply because of the mental images of a guy using it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

As Dr McNinja shows, frozen shamrocks can be an effective, but exotic weapon of death.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ...Eh? View Post
    The Gyrspike, while a sword/flail rather than a rapier/flail, is my personal favorite weapon of any kind in all of D&D, simply because of the mental images of a guy using it.
    Orsich Gyrspike Blades, They're Magically Fallacious!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelFuster View Post
    Double weapon? One side does 1d10 slashing x3, one does 2d4 slash/pierce x4?
    It would be truly a truly ridiculous beast of a weapon, so go ahead and throw in tripping and disarming abilities, just for fun.
    Wouldn't that make it a one-handed/light weapon though? My aim is to make a two-handed weapon, so doubles are out.

I've settled on a design however, here are my stats:-

The "Harvester" Axe is a large two-handed weapon, its height when stood upright comes up to the shoulder of the intended user, and the blades width spans twice the length of their arm.
    It has a recurved handle, which follows through the underside of the axe head, which is sharpened to that of a scythe, as such the weapon looks much like a question mark along the inside lines. Its head resembles that of a standard wood chopping hand-axe, except that the front end is elongated to add the scythe curve along its belly. The head is formed out of a single piece of metal, and has a counter weight axe head on the other side, which is only a hand-span in length but is much thicker to support the main half of the head.

The blend of scythe an axe make this weapon a potent one, its recurved handle allows for more finesse in its use, and the counterweighted head offers more control in its swings than a standard scythe allows. The ability to hit with either the axe head, inner blade, or even counter head, makes this weapon constant in its damage output as a blow can almost always be landed.
    Due to the weight, odd shape and unique method of fighting the axe supports, it requires special training to use; thus, it is an exotic weapon. It may be used as either a scythe or a (two-handed) battleaxe as a martial weapon, however still with a -4 to hit.

{table=head]Weapon | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Dmg (L) | Critical | Weight | Type
    Scythe | 18 gp | 1d6 | 2d4 | 2d6 | ×4 | 10 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    Battleaxe | 10 gp | 1d6 | 1d8 | 2d6 | ×3 | 6 lb. | Slashing
    |
    The "Harvester" Axe | 210 gp | 1d12 | 2d8 | 3d8 | ×3 | 20 lb. |Piercing or slashing
    [/table]

What do you guys think?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

and the blades width spans twice the length of their arm
    That's quite a wide blade. The weapon is of course pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry, but when I try to visualize it, it looks stupid. =P

That said, it is still somewhat reasonable (compared to gyrspikes and such nonsense). Depending on what type of fantasy you are playing, it could fit into play.

25. - Top - End - #25

"civic education" is considered an exotic weapon here in Italy, as of late, and you have to take the EWP if you want to have one.

However, in the vein of badass, ridiculously oversized, a-la-anime etc...wet-dream weapons, pleae check the sabers below and the lightsabernunchuck (2nd from left) and light tonfa.

Anyway, if you go to deviantart and type either lightsaber or exotic weapon you will get waves of wicked stuff...
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    That's quite a wide blade. The weapon is of course pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry, but when I try to visualize it, it looks stupid. =P

That said, it is still somewhat reasonable (compared to gyrspikes and such nonsense). Depending on what type of fantasy you are playing, it could fit into play.
    Okay, well two seconds in paint has yielded this to help you picture it, it aint perfect by a long shot (ill probably do something nice later) but it outlines it just about...

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Okey, that looks a less stupid than I imagined.

You need something to separate the blade from the users hand, though. To avoid accidental cutting.

I think that realistically you wouldn't make the top blade that long though. The sickles only has a long blade for agricultural use. An axe with that long a blade is probably not going to work that well. Look at pictures of real axes for reference.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

It's supposed to be a cross between an ax and a sycthe. As such I'd assume it can be used like either, so I don't think the long blade is an issue.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It would end up being worse at both. My design suggestion employed the proficiency with wielding the funky shaft to increase damage and usability. This is just a bigger blade.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Also, looking at the stats on that thing, you'd never use anything other than the harvester axe edge.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!