New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default City of the Silver Stair

OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...26#post5239626

DAY 1
    The city of the Silver stair is a vast coastal metropolis and trading hub on the prime material plane, known to outsiders as Lindworm for the city's lucrative silk trade. It also occupies the plane above, known as Glaistig, and the plain below, known as Diwe. The center of the city contains a massive spiral silver staircase that streches into the heavens and delves deep into the earth. It shines like a becon for miles around on sunny days and is lit up at various floating check point towers at night. The city is guarded by the Order of Cibilus, the city's patron god of Silk while the stair itself hosts an impressive array of guardians. Guardians of the Silver Stair range from guild sponsored golems, Lillend, and two mated steel dragons who live in the city as well as other fantastic creatures and magical safeguards. The city above in Glaistig is guarded by the Order of Aroolius, a band of wizards native to that plane, while Diwe is guarded by the Illumistranny, a well paid group of semi-retired adventurers. All of these guardians are under direct supervision of the Central city council made up of vrious guilde houses, nobles, and prominent figures ellected by the council itself.

All three planes are relatively normal, except that magic is weaker in Diwe. In Diwe, all spells have a 5% chance to fizzle plus 1% for every level away from twenty. All spells cast are effectively one level lower while all dispel magic effects are two levels higher. Magically charged items take 1.5 times the number of charges and items with set uses per day have their number redued by one or every other time slot for once per day or week items.

The climate of the central city in Lindworm is semi-tropical (think of the Mediterranian which was the basis for my city copncept) and you are starting out in the cool winter. Meanwhile, the section of the city in Diwe is a northerly coastal city wth harsh temperate seasons and is currently in a baking summer. Finally, the Glastig portion is in a tropical climate where the rainy season is quickly approaching and the rivers are just begining to swell for trade oncemore.

Addition 1: The Silk Guilde
    The most powerful guilde in the city is the silk guilde. They founded the city and have peppered it with monuments to none other than themslves of course. Silk here is cheaper than anywhere else in this world or the others as it is the center of production. All silk goods cost only 75% as much as normal and masterwork clothing in silk is common for the weathy. The guilde however, in an effort to make themselves distinguished, has made a uniqueline of silken formal ware for those it holds in high regards. Every time someone does something of note for the guild, they are awarded a magical silken piece of clothing, starting with plain undershirts, and working up to jackets and other finery. A full set of seven sacred silken clothng articles grants the wearer +1 to charisma. There are only a hand full of sets that have ever been awarded however, with most favored people contaning only one or two of the masterwork pieces, each of wich contains the official seal of the Guilde.

Adition 2: City districts
    As the City of the Silver Stair is a great and expansive interplanar metropolis, it is possible to get just about anything here, from oriental weaponry to necromantic paraphernalia. Of course, everything of such exotic nature is at great cost, but don't be fraid to ask. Do be afaid if you are searchig or said merchandise in shady areas of the city at night however. The largest district is the merchant districts and it crwds around the Silver Stair, hosting a great market every day of the year. Naturally, it also borders the docks very closely. This district contains housing for all active guilde members as well as rental inns specifically made for seasonal traders that are contructed as interlinked houses with sleeping quarters upstairs and shops downstairs. These seasonal merchants pay high dues to the trade guildes to be allowed to compete and are often at odds over the outlandis rent. To the West of the trade district and are a vast ocean of humans and other diverse spcies that sought their dreams and ended up here instead. hey make up the middle class and the slums, which mingle rather closely. This is a pool of cheap labor for the merchants, sea captains, and wealthy elite. Close to the Stair, and just North of the merhcant district is the government center, a highly fortified castle with a large cleared area of a one hundred foot radius surrounded by a low 20 ft wall, containing numerous guard towers and gateways. This inner zone is often the site of training and elite parties during festivals. The northern sector of the city is also home to the temples of the city and a large central garden that is shared by the government district and the temples. The one exception tothis rule is the Silk temple which is in the merchant district and on temple (as yet to be named) on th coast favored by sailors. While there is wealthy housing within the northern sector of and to the north east of the merchant district, most of the truly wealthy live in country estates while the moderately wealthy simply build up on their merchant buildings, the most prominent reaching soaring heights of four or five stories. To the south is the Burble Sea which connects to the Great Norgin Ocean in the south west. The City of the Silver Stair is conveniently placed near the Ocean as a trade hub between the coastal residents of the sea and the rest ofthe world. There is also The Toad River that flows into the city and into the sea coming from the northern region.

http://fantasymaps.files.wordpress.c...suzail_gif.jpg
    (It is actually the city of Suzail, the "Gem of Cormyr", for the curious. The little triangular section in the left center of the city map with numbers 43, 49, and 52 will be designated as the The Silver Stair.)

((More details will be filled in later as I see fit or by request, so check this post often for new edits. All edits will be included apart from the originals so you don't have to read everything over again. Character links, house rules, and other fetures will appear within the next few days or weeks as time permits. Til then, introduce your characters within the city with a good appearance description, location, and daily plan of action))

Cheers!
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2008-11-15 at 12:23 AM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: City of the Silver Stair

Bexly is a Bobling, (think wemic but small and cute) a mix of a bobcat and a halfling. He is a druid who uses an one handed spear and a shield.

Currently at the western gate of town.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you wait there (without any apparent purpose or goals as I requested), many curious travelers peer down at you from there trade wagons while the more seasoned travelers give you only a passing glance. Boblings are a rare sight, even in the City of the Silver stair. Children are forlorn because they cannot run up to you and pet the big kitty.

Around eleven, the guard changes. Two of the initial guards, one a young human(short sword and light crossbow), the other a venerable dwarf(Battle Axe and Medium crossbow), approach slowly.
    Hi friend, could you please state your name and business for us. The pair seem relatively unconcerned, just curious.
    It is, ahh, normal for people ta go inta the city lit'l kat. There be a few dangers outside ya know, not tha its agains the la or nutin to stay oot side. He waves his hands dismisively at his own comment. The guards at the gate watch thir friends protectively while checking various travelers through the gate.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2008-11-23 at 10:19 AM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Bexly turns his upper torso to face at the dwarf I spend much of my time "out side" exploring the natural state of this world in order to better myself as a servant and gaurdian of the natural order. A traveler i met told me there was a path to other worlds here. It sounded interesting so i came to have a look.
    Bexly then turns his attention to the human. As for entering i'm content to stay in this world. That one points inside the gate looks a bit crowded
    At that he walks over to the side of the path very near the entry way of the gate and curls his cat like lower body up and rummages in his pack for a snackwhile watching people come and go through the gate, occasionally looking in on what he feels must be some strange new world where nature has been wiped out to form and endless crowded town that must cover every thing beyond.

= normal talking
    = mild sarcasm
    = extra emphasis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The two guards look at each other, as if considering your state of mind in ernest. Uh...Ok, well, if you want to see the stair, come on in. You don't have to leave this world to see it, ya know.
    The dwarf shifts his weight and starts scratching his beard. Ya know, I could show ya ta tha stair if'n yer interested. It be on tha way home, an would b no problim.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2008-12-06 at 01:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

stair?turns to look at them with a bemused expression this is not the path to the other world? Why is every thing so different past the stone line?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

At this point, the human walks away slack jawed, but the dwarf seems determined and plants his feet. He gestures toward the wall with his left hand. Look laddy, this is a city. A City. Ya know, like a town, only biggar. There are jes lotsa people inside tha need homes an walls to protect them. He pauses for a moment, reconsidering you. Et's jes a defferent environment than yer uzed to, ya see now.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2008-12-06 at 02:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

So this stair... its the path the traveler told me about?
    Bexly pauses and thinks why do so many live so close? don't they need there own space to hunt? how do they all get food?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The dwarf throws his hands up, then wrings his beard slowly, taking deep breaths as he speaks.They buy it o course. This be civilization me boy. We've got people who've never hunted a beast in their lives. Now, ye can come in if ya like, bu I warn ye, our customs are obviously strange to ya. Thar be rules inside these walls. No fightin, stealin, or causing trouble. Ya gotta respect people's property, and pay for anything ya take. Unerstan? Now, I am goin home. Goobye little feller. He begins walking away rather quickly, well, for a dwarf.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2008-12-06 at 02:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Bexly rather hesitantly enters the town and begins to wander and observe the strange ways of the city, often asking foolish questions that are bound to attract even more attention than he would normaly.
    He intends to reach the stair at some point but is currently lost both literally and figuratively in his curiosity.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you wander through the streets, you slowly begin to notice a few children in ragged clothing following you. They are quite adept at moving through the crowds of people and seem to go unoticed by most everyone. As you round the next turn, you are confronted by two young boys, B1 and B2, and a girl, G1, who stand in a line, blocking your path.

The young girl, perhaps only in her early teens by your poor reckoning of human aging, smiles, and crosses her lithe arms. What's a funny cat man doin round these parts, huh? Clean as you is, lost your wizard I spect. We can elp you find im, or whatever else yer looking for. The two boys just giggle and smile. You notice the glint of steel under Boy2's vest as he shifts weight. Both boys seem younger than the girl.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Tailos Tindertrip

Before the bobling can respond, a halfling with a heavy backpack bumps into the boy.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" he says, turning around, "I'm afraid I lost my bearings."
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry mister, we're already helping the kitty, an't that right. She looks to Bexely for an answer, but as she does so, a few more children surround the two hapless heroes and the three prime mischief makers.

Three of the kids start investigating the halfling while the others try to assist with distractions, but Tailos notices wandering hands and manages to keep them at bay.
    1d100=63, 1d100=50, 1d100=95
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2009-01-01 at 12:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Tailos Tindertrip

"Hey, hey, hey! There's no need for any of that!" the halfling exclaims as he fends off the urchins. "Sir, I think it's best you and I find more respectful company." he says to the bobling before taking a step backward and trying to break off from the children.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.