New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Seas of Change, Winds of Fate (IC)

Seeing that no one is being immediately troublesome, Xxzyx walks over to the table and pulls out a chair of his own, across from Jon. He reaches out to partake of the food, and as he does the mouth like end of Lump opens and closes, the 4 smaller tentacles twitching around.

Stop that. You'll get your meal later today. And besides, He gives a quick glance up. You're creeping people out.

All he receives in reply is the mental equivalent of a snort.

Spoiler
    Show

Still watching people....

Eclipse, Servant of the Dark God. Servants of the Fallen
    Necrosis
    , True Necromancer, Unbound
    Xxzyx
    , Impure Prince, Seas of Change, Winds of Fate
    Quintillius, Paladin of the Red Knight, Run to the North

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

All of you, as well as the Captain, Stonehoof (standing; there's not a chair aboard that wouldn't break under him), and several other crew members including Nathaniel Longinus, an ex-imperial noble with green eyes and a fresh, open face, but a heart colder than ice; Raina Redfeather, a tall, muscular woman from a secluded isle, and one of the best shots out of all the crew with a greatbow fully as tall as she is; and Fjaan, a reptilian refugee from the Jade Protectorate with a pair of cutlasses like oversized butcher's knives. Those of the crew not dining stand around, respectfully doffing their hats and bowing their heads after a stern glance from Stonehoof as Black Dog McGee begins a short prayer.

Ta whatever Gods may be listenin', and especially to the ever-watchful Queen O' the Depths and Lady O' Storms, we beseech ye - protect us from the shot an' slings an' stabs of our foes, an' pray let us be sendin' tha Imperial bastards down ta hell where they're fer' belongin' afore they do the same to us, an' may we have fair weather, fairer health, and plenty a' loot fer ta be buyin' strong ale an' strappin' wenches. Or lads. or whatever else some o' these heathen' bastards be gettin' up to that I'm not fer' wantin' ta know about.

Following the solemn prayer, those at the table began to dig in, finding themselves immediately feeling the beneficial effects of the blessed food.

3. - Top - End - #33

RogueGuy

Jovar

During the blessing Jovar smiles in a polite but uninterested way. He does not preach about it, but it is known that he views religion as unnecessary. His people are not atheists, they just view the worship of gods as unnecessary.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Kale the Farseer

Bowing his head to the captain,

I understand my Captain, I will not press the issue any farther, though I will pray to Father Dagon and Mother Hydra for a safe passage as always.

Making his way away from the Captain and Adagio slowly, Kale barely registers the insult thrown his way. Indeed he looked as if he had barely taken notices of Xxyzx's presence, until the apology was added. Raising a hand as if to wave away the comment,

No offense is taken Xxyzx. You spoke freely and without meaning. Be thankful that is a freedom you possess, some are not as lucky as you.

As the feast is prepared, Kale takes a seat next to Nathaniel, but not making any small talk nor interrupting the ceremony as he seems lost in his thoughts.

5. - Top - End - #35

Xxzyx dug into the food, feeling it's strengthening effect almost immediately. While he was eating, he thought back to Kale's reply.

Somehow, even with Kale's gracious forgiveness, X came away from it feeling like he had been slighted. Something about that halfling was just plain strange!

His hair for one, look at that!

Cutting off a laugh for the second time that day, X resumed his meal.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

6. - Top - End - #36

Jon sits near Stonehoof and Xxzyx, if that's possible; one for saftey and one for conversation.
    Noting glances from all around that were pointed at Kale, Jon leans over and silently intones, "Psst. Xxzyx. What was Kale talking about earlier that got everyone riled?"
    Look! It's me!
    The Fey Archer (made for my fiance, many years ago.)
    Savannah gets the awesome credit for my John Locke avatar.

7. - Top - End - #37

Xxzyx leans over just as slightly, and intones back. "The creep wanted to make a human sacrifice to his 'masters.'"

I don't see what's so bad about that... It's just another human...

Xxzyx had to concentrate for a split second, but managed to shove the voice away.

Continuing with his explanation, he goes on, "Black Dog wasn't to thrilled with the idea."

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

8. - Top - End - #38

"Then he's not as 'Black' as his reputaion pegs him. I like it better that way, though. One of my captains had a reputation that was actually true."
    Jon drained whatever the sweet-smelling drink in front of him was.
    "Of course, I had to kill him," he said off-handedly, and arched an eyebrow in the halfling's direction. Killing humans, eh? Didn't peg him for the type. Bet we could agree on quite a bit.
    Look! It's me!

9. - Top - End - #39

X continued whispering. "Don't get me wrong. Nothing against killing humans, especially if they give me some reason to do it... But sacrifice? To that weirdos friends? No thanks."

Killing his captain? Bet we could agree on quite a bit!
    Last edited by Whiplord; 2008-11-07 at 09:05 PM.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

10. - Top - End - #40

"Hm."
    Leaning forward now, Jon says to Kale in a polite voice, "So, Kale? I've heard you speak of 'masters', but I can't say you've ever identified them. Please, I am free of prejudice and interested."
    Look! It's me!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ol' Cobber

While everyone else was talking away Ol' Cobber set to the task of assembling his rifle. He swung it's leather case down from his shoulder, the bag cleverly designed to hold both the pieces and the fully made rifle and easily placing his legs out to opposite sides of the crow's nest for balance he began assembling it. The whole weapon was dwarven make, with beautifully tapered steel making up most of the firing tube and a series of complicated latches and nobs where the powder and shot was to be funneled in. The walnut stock clicked into the frame easily as the oiled pieces fit together, and a quick brushing with a bristled wire made sure that the chambers were perfectly clear. Next he took out a modified spyglass that had multiple lenses on the end that he could change with a flick of a finger to see further than anyone else on the ocean.

Mage Hater, ah that wizard never even had time to regret enchanting you.

Fitting the sight onto the weapon, he tested the trigger and smiled thinly... and then he noticed everyone else sitting down to one of Adagio's feasts.

"What the hell Adagio?! Why do you always bloody wait 'till I'm all the damn way up here before doing that?"

Slipping the now fully assembled rifle back into it's case and swinging said case over his should Ol' Cobber slipped over the edge of the nest and went hand over hand through the lines to get back to the deck. Taking a seat beside Raina he gives a glare at the halfling, but closes his eyes as the captain speaks his prayer to give a silent one of his own.

Red Knight, let our tactics and fightin' skill be better than theirs or I'm a dead man, and you wouldn't want that now, eh?.

Once the captain finishes and the group of them tuck into their meal, Ol' Cobber nudges Raina.

"Same bet as always, eh Redfeather? One with th'least kills pays a hunerd gold to the other?"
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-11-08 at 12:35 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Raina grunted and gave a terse nod as she tore into a hunk of bread, then washed it down with a draught from her cup. Aye, little man. We'll see how well that infernal contraption of yours matches against honest wood and sinew.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

After the meal, several hours passed. The sun rose in the sky, and was just passing its zenith when the island came in sight. Or, at least, where the island was supposed to be... There was a thick mist gathered about it, and the crew began to murmur about wizard's work. Had the Imperials gotten wind of you? Had whatever informat Black Dog tapped to get the information been a double agent all along? Or was this something else, something unexpected? Despite this development, however, the captain was resolute, steering the ship on, into the thick mist. The sun became a thin silver disk overhead, then disappeared altogether, swallowed up by the mist. The crew was silent, or muttered prayers to whatever gods they held dear under their breath as they went about their work, peering nervously into the fog, though it was for naught - the mist was impenetrable to the eye.

Sounds carried oddly in the fog - occasionally a seabird's cry would drift in out of the mist, strangely distorted, haunting, otherworldly. Some of the crew were nervous, but most held fast - and even those who might be inclined to make dire pronouncements thought twice after a look at the captain's features.

Meanwhile, the ship's warrior's made ready for battle - Stonehoof gripped his massive two-handed, twin bladed axe, and the others followed suit, readying whatever their favored equipment was. Everyone was on edge, and there was strain on every face - even if the threat here was purely mundane, it would be impossible to see coming.

A soft thump came from the waterline, and half a dozen men crowded at the railing. A boathook went over the side, and caught something heavy on the other end. The sailor hefting it grunted as he brought it aboard, then promptly retched over the side when the thing flopped onto deck.

It had been a man, not so long ago - now there was nothing left below the waist save a ragged, colorless ruin of flesh. his face was half-gone, and he still wore the remnants of an Imperial navy uniform.

The crew made signs to ward off evil, and as the ship sailed forward, more wreckage came into view - pieces of ship, and more shapes that had once been men, gnomes, dwarves and halflings.

14. - Top - End - #44

RogueGuy

Jovar

Jovar Watches the men retching with a look of displeasure on his face. This is not how a warrior should behave himself before a fight, he thinks.

He keeps Black Dog within ear shot and keeps his intricately worked bastard sword in his hand.
    Annoying Gamer says - Hollywood is sooooooooo unoriginal. Hey, check out my dual wielding drow Drazzit!

Annoying Gamer says - My level 1 character's background is pretty complex. After fighting in the three great wars, he was forced to return home and kill an elder dragon single handily.

15. - Top - End - #45

After the feast, time passed slowly, everyone getting gradually more and more on edge as the anticipated fight grew nearer.

Finally, the misted over island came into view.

Well that's not normal...

The fact that Lump didn't reply showed that he was just as off guard as Xxzyx. Lump found his way into X's palm, and he gripped tightly, as if ready to strike at any second. The tentacles around his shoulders and back uncoiled slowly, poised to attack at short notice as well.

As the corpse was brought on board, and the sailor sent his food over the way it had come up, X became stiffer. More wreckage floated by.

He feared no battle. But this was nothing like that.

Could it be...? Xxzyx wondered.

All he heard in his head was a hiss.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

16. - Top - End - #46

Ol' Cobber

Having finished his meal quickly the weathered man spider-climbed his way into the crow's nest and settled back for a long wait. When the body was pulled from the water, and others began to surface as wrecks of flesh he quickly slung his rifle down and began looking through it hastily.

"Bloody Hell... Was this part of the plan Captain?"

Ol' Cobber tried to see as far through the fog as he could with his enhanced spyglass, looking for any signs of movement.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Adagio

Adagio's eyes widen in disgust as the corpse is dragged aboard, and he turns his head quickly, hand held fast over his mouth. He shakes for a moment, then turns his head up to the giant moth hanging from the crow's nest.

"Reika,"
    he says, and her wings unfurl suddenly as she plummets down to the deck, slowing her descent at the last moment with a great flap of her wings. Adagio offers her the last remnants of his glass of ambrosia from the feast, then quickly sets up her saddle.

"I don't like this, captain,"
    he says, setting into the saddle gracefully.

18. - Top - End - #48

Jon cooly watches the wreckage and the horizon as he rests the barrel of his magelock pistol on his shoulder, pointing behind him. When he blinked, he got a quick picture of what was behind him- this little Gun Mage trick saved his life once.
    He frowned more out of intense thought than actual distaste- he had seen battlefields before- but he hadn't see a single elf so far in the body count. Not superstitious enough to believe that Deep Sashelas actually took the elves that died at sea to an undersea loghouse, and not stupid enough to ignore the fact that this was strange to no end, he looked over to the few elves on board to see if they noticed, as well.
    Look! It's me!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain grunted at Adiago's comment I'm not fer thinkin' anyone's likin' it, lad. But I'm not planning to turn around without findin' if there's any loot to be had. Be about yer bussiness and quit lollygaggin'. ye slow-witted porpoise-botherers! said the captain in a gutteral roar, the last addressed to all of the crewman lingering about.

The ship drifted on in eerie silence. The ragged pile of human meat was shoved back overboard, and the cabin boy, grey-faced, came forward to wash up the remainders.

After about a quarter of an hour, a form loomed out of the mist - a dock, built from timber that still looked green, obviously built to service the recently-arrived Imperial ships. The island was covered in thick forest, but a little way up the beach, a wooden stockade, built from sturdy logs carved out of the jungle.

Stonehoof. Get yerself a dozen men and check the stockade. Everyone else will stay with me an' make sure the ship's secure should whoever 'r whatever did this should be decidin' ta come back.

You heard the captain! I need a dozen volunteers He gave a quick glance at Black Dog, and recieved a nod in return. the Minotaur's face was split with a wicked grin Those as come with me'll get first pick when it comes time to split up the loot!

20. - Top - End - #50

Jon Cameron bounces forward, dwarfed by the minotaur in size, but not in strength of conviction.
    He hoped there would be a kill soon.
    "You have my gun, Mister Stonehoof, as always."
    Look! It's me!

21. - Top - End - #51

Xxzyx

Xxzyz volunteers without hesitation. Raising his hand, and the tentacle with it, he addresses Stonehoof. "And my...appendages!"

No respect...

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

22. - Top - End - #52

RogueGuy

Jovar

"It has been to long since I have fought an opponent worthy of my skill. I shall join you as well," Jovar says.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Adagio

"I suppose heading to my death with you is better than lolling around here with my dear crewmates,"
    Adagio remarks, flicking his hand over Reika's reins. The giant moth lifts gracefully in the sky, bearing her rider aloft with ease.

Adagio, Adagio, Adagio... he begins to recite, his voice swift and bright like stars against the night. His eyes narrow and glow for a moment, and swift lines of power course briefly across the skin of his hands as he notches an arrow into his bow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Recitation of the Shooting Star!
    DC's 34. [roll]1d20+31[/roll]
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2008-11-10 at 11:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Kale the Farseer

His head taking a slight angle to it, Kale's eyes seem to focus on a point between and behind Jon's eyes, as if he were trying to peer into his mind,

Masters. Gods. Owners. Lords. For those I serve such titles matter not, only that I serve in such a manner that fulfills their wishes. My gods existed long before mortal kind ever walked the land, before the gods of the masses were more then an inkling in the eye of reality. Their power dwarfs all that stand before them, mortal kind little more then an insect that only draws attention when it makes a nuisance of itself. They are legion, possessing numbers beyond the stars in the sky, and even the weakest of their numbers has more power then those gods called on by the masses. Of those that I serve directly, only a limited number would not drive you mad from attempting to comprehend.

The quizzical look fades into the blank expression that seems to haunt Kale's face at all times before he continues,

However I shall grant you the common names of the few that would not drive you mad from the attempt to pronounce. Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, first and true gods of the sea. Nyarlathotep, the Blind Ape of Truth, God of the Bloody Tongue, the Black Man, He Who Walks the World. The King in Yellow, High Priest Not to Be Described. Remember their names, for should you ever have the misfortune of drawing their attention you would be best served by prostrating yourself before them while singing their praises.

As the feast finished and the mist rolled in Kale disappears below deck before emerging slightly later, this time a deep purple, almost black, crystal hung by a silver chain around his neck and a longspear, fitted for his stature, covered in strange shapes and flowing, raised, lines. Standing behind the others, Kale stares at the dead with seemingly total apathy, however every time his eyes trace the outline of a dead halfling the ghost of a sad smile crosses his face behind the midnight black veil.

As the Captain speaks and Stonehoof makes his call for volunteers Kale steps forward using the longspear as a walking stick, the ghost of a hint of anger tinting his voice,

My abilities are at your disposal Mr. Stonehoof.
    Last edited by Gig_Complex; 2008-11-10 at 11:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Ol' Cobber

Swinging himself down from the crow's nest the sharpshooter moves towards the volunteer group.

"Well captain, I won't be as much use with all this bloody fog, might as well go for a walk."

Though he was complaining, Ol' Cobber's scarred face was lit with a grin. The mist, the bodies, they were both pointing to some powerful person or creature who was probably using arcane magics.

... and if they are, Ol' Cobber's got a surprise for them.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-11-12 at 06:57 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

The crew put out the longboats - one of them was specially reinforced for the weight of Stonehoof, made of a rare wood from the Elven homeland, carved from a single great tree trunk and reinforced with mithril for strength - and put off. Stonehoof led the party, his axe at the ready. The others were on alert, too - the fog had everyone tense. Fjaan tasted the air with his forked tongue, and gave a low hiss. No emotion flickered on his face as he spoke in a flat, cool tone. Blood... and plenty of it.

His statement was confirmed a moment later as you reached the gates of the fort. Though you hadn't been able to see them - they were built towards the jungle, for whatever reason - you could now. They hung open - obviously they hadn't been broken by force - and inside the packed earth of the fort's floor was covered in blood, though all the bodies were missing. The fort consisted of a single large keep, along with half a dozen bunkhouses. Stonehoof grunted, looking around, resting his axe-head on the ground. All right... everyone pair up and take a bunkhouse. Leave the doors open, and call for help if you need it. Don't get seperated, whatever you do. After When I call, get your hides back out here and we'll check the main keep.
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-11-12 at 07:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

RogueGuy

Jovar

Jovar draws his bastard sword and aims towards one of the bunkhouses.

"Which one of you," he says to the group, "wants to see how these things are supposed to be used."

28. - Top - End - #58

Although it took him a little bit to decide, while in the rowboat over, Xxzyx decided that in case they found any survivors who they weren't going to kill, perhaps he'd better wind up his tentacles. Lump grumbled as the action took place, but soon enough, under his cloak, X looked almost human.

Soon enough they reached the shore. At Fjaan's comment, Xxzyx' nostrils flared. Soon enough they reached the fort doors, and saw the mess inside.

Betrayal...interesting.

As soon as Stonehoof finished speaking, Xxzyx walked the few steps over to Cameron's side. "Well then old friend, shall we?" He said, beckoning off toward one of the bunkhouses.

Necrosis
    Xxzyx

29. - Top - End - #59

Ol' Cobber

"Alright Stonehoof," Ol' Cobber looks over the rest of the volunteers and grimaces, "Damn, I'm keepin' strange company these days."

He then hobbles over to where Jovar is brandishing his sword, though he wisely stays out of the blade's reach.

"Lad, stop waving that thing around and let's get on with it."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Jon followed the monstrous cloaked figure, gun in one hand and a sign of arcane power in the other hand, resting upon the barrel. A single rune bullet was loaded into his gun, ready to take a spell or the raw energy of his soul, whatever the situation called for.
    Look! It's me!